Start by marking “Windows” as Want to Read:
Windows

Windows

Walking his dog at dusk, one boy catches glimpses of the lives around him in this lovely ode to autumn evenings, exploring your neighborhood, and coming home.

Before your city goes to sleep, you might head out for a walk, your dog at your side as you go out the door and into the almost-night. Anything can happen on such a walk: you might pass a cat, or a friend, or even an
Published October 17th 2017 by Candlewick Press (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Windows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windows

Hilary
3.5 stars. The sun is setting and a boy takes his dog for a walk past the other houses where he lives. The illustrations are nice, some lovely colours and patterns, sunsets and lighted windows. The boy looks at the houses and sees the inhabitants doing different activities in their evening before returning home.
Vera Godley
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first glance, one would think this is simply a book about seeing into the windows of one's neighborhood as the day ends and the lights inside come on revealing activities at the close of day. However, as you ponder the pictures and text it leads one to contemplate just what is really going on inside the rooms alight and revealing the lives of those around us.
description
We see that they, just as we, putter about their homes doing the mundane chores and being involved in the act of daily living. Just as y
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
You can't help but love this lovely picture book of a child exploring his little world, a little world filled with hundreds of other worlds, all beautifully framed in a window. And it gently, oh-so-gently, promotes all the wonderful values we would share with children---neighborhoods, stories, imagination, and home.
Peacegal
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, quiet book that celebrates the simple magic and joy in everyday things that comes so easily to children, but which we seem to lose as we grow older.

However, since this book is partly about seeing others going about their lives in their homes, a possible discussion topic is the need to respect others' privacy and the best ways to do this.
Sylvester
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4* art
4* text

Squirt and I like walking at night and seeing people in their windows. Last night we did this, and our neighbour who was doing her dishes, waved to us. This book is a lovely way to remind ourselves of the pleasures of every day (or evening) life.
Beth
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated with windows lit up in the night. Driving through familiar or unfamiliar neighborhoods, to catch a small glimpse into someone's house is to catch a fleeting moment of story waiting to be told. Windows honors those fleeting stories by making us ponder them for just a few seconds longer.
laura (bookies & cookies)
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought it perfectly encapsulated that in-between time of day and night and you can see what's happening in your neighborhood.

I especially like that once they child is done walking the dog, they sit with their parent and read books from their bookshelf.
Done in ink, watercolor, letterpress, and digital college.
Niki Marion
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An illustrated love letter to Somerville, MA if ever there was one, but this book lends itself to any area that has that neighborhood feel--where you may not know everyone who lives on your block, but you feel a community and kinship with them regardless.

Denos's prose is poetic, descriptive, and concise, cozy even. A favorite line, paired with a darkened and shuttered house in an overgrown part of the neighborhood: "Other[ window]s are empty and leave you to fill them up with stories."

Share wit
Katy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grabbed this to browse while filling in @ Youth desk. So lush and simple at the same time. I have fond memories of walks in my neighborhood with my mom, just after dinner/dusk so we could peek in to other people's houses. It captures this moment perfectly!
Chance Lee
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
A warm little book about neighborhoods and the people within them. It's a story about a child walking through a neighborhood and noticing people in the windows, but not necessarily looking in the windows, if that makes sense, avoiding a peeping tom/Rear Window vibe.
Stephanie Croaning
This book would make a great mentor text for teaching young students how to write about small moments.

Picture book, fiction
Interest level: Pre-K through grade 1
3 out of 5 stars

Windows captures that moment, as the sun starts to set in the evening, when people turn lights on in houses and the scenes of daily life are clearly illuminated to anyone passing by. The story begins as a child takes a dog for a walk and the reader tags along on a tour through the neighborhood.
Scan0001
As we move along, we witness
Rebecca
Julia Denos has written a book about one of my favorite visuals: glowing windows in a neighorhood at dusk. A boy walks his dog in the evening and contemplates the slices of life offered by the windows. Props to illustrator E.B. Goodale for finding ways to vary the composition over many page turns. Just beautiful.
Baby Bookworm
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Windows, written by Julia Denos and illustrated by E.B. Goodale, a lovely twilight meditation on people and community.

When you look at your window as the sun goes down, at just the right time, you will begin to see a light show coming to life. As the dark of night begins to take the sky, people turn on their lights, and you can stroll through the neighborhood (
Sandy
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book since its about exploring your neighborhood and enjoying the place where you live. The story centers on knowing what happens in your neighborhood when the sun goes down. The more familiar you are with your surroundings, the more comfortable and secure you feel. As the boy in this novel puts on his red jacket and grabs the leash for his dog, the lights in his neighborhood windows are coming alive. As he sees familiar objects out on his walk, and he understands the noises that he ...more
Julie
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been looking for beautifully illustrated, meaningful picture books to give to my five- and seven-year-old neighbors for the holidays. This simple story about a child's walk through the local neighborhood and all the things one can see there might fit the bill. It's a lovely book that conveys a sense of comfort and belonging through its vision of a community where everyone is doing something different, yet all are participating and contributing and active. The little peek that we have into t ...more
Marjorie Ingall
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-3-6, kids-4-8
A lovely, quiet book.

At dusk, a little boy takes a walk around his neighborhood, thinking about all the life that goes on behind the different windows. The art is so soothing, lush and pretty -- I thought it depicted a not-entirely-gentrified Brooklyn neighborhood, but no, it is Somerville, MA, where I lived for a summer. Shout out to Somerville! You look amazing!

I liked that the mom, who is clearly paying attention (she watches him go through their window, and welcomes him home the same way),
Tracey
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this one. The art didn't connect with me. I liked following the kid as he walked his dog around the neighborhood. But the whole concept of windows and looking through them kinda creeped me out. The last two pages were adorable though. I'd recommend this for a finishing book at story time.
Carolyn
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet book. A little boy takes his dog out for a walk just as the sun is setting and as he goes around the neighborhood he notices the windows, illuminated from within. Each window frames a moment; a family sitting down for dinner, a person playing the piano or enjoying a book and a mug of tea - the warmth of the neighborhood and the joy of coming home are the main themes.
Carol Jen
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the simple premise of this story and the illustrations! What can I say - I'm also fascinated by people watching and you can observe a lot through windows and imagine the lives that take place inside.
Holly Mueller
Beautifully written and illustrated. I've always loved walking in the evening/night, seeing lit up windows and peering into family's lives and homes for a moment. Always seems cozy and homey. This would be a great book for writing workshop to invite kids into story-writing.
Angie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved the pictures
Cat
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It looks like my walk homes in the autumn! I love the illustrations. Kudos to Goodale! The story, by Julia Denos is wonderful and just right after a nice walk around my neighborhood. Just such a warm, cozy book! All ages will enjoy this story. Get a mug of hot chocolate and linger over the story.
Anmiryam
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet and a lovely story to read with a child especially there are things to find and discuss in the pictures that enrich the text.
Maeve
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The red, hooded sweater reminds me of Peter's red snowsuit in The Snowy Day.

This book is wonderful for talking with a child about what they are seeing. Denos writes only about what is happening in some of the windows. You could explore what is going on in the other houses/rooms by looking at the illustrations and coming up with ideas. You could also look for all the different things you can see.
Jason
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, night
omg that sky! I could barely focus on the words because I kept wanting to look at that gorgeous sunset.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Beautiful, colorful and thoughtful.
Josie Stewart
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loving the glimpse into the world through the windows... Simple text.
Angelina
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Andréa
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely walk around a neighborhood with an adorable dog.
Heidi
In this ode to the joys of living in calm, peaceful, and safe residential neighborhoods, a young boy takes his dog for a walk. As he walks through the neighborhood, he takes a peek inside the lives of his neighbors, through their windows. I enjoyed the story, but my favorite part was by far the exquisite illustrations. It was fun reading the text and then looking for the windows showing the various described activities. In some ways this is an I Spy book, allowing the reader to catch a glimpse o ...more
Julia Denos earned a BFA in illustration from The Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University. She lives outside of Boston.