Start by marking “Elf in the House” as Want to Read:
Elf in the House

Elf in the House

The anticipatory excitement of Christmas Eve builds in a festive way in this follow-up to the much-loved Ghost in the House.
Jingle-jingle!
There's a girl in the house on this snowy Christmas Eve.
Creeping down, step by step, here she comes.
But what's going on?
Santa's snacks are gone,
And the only thing that's left is . . . CRUMBS!

Follow a child on a most magical night as sh
Published September 19th 2017 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Elf in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elf in the House

Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Paquette, Ammi-Joan Elf in the House. PICTURE BOOK. Illustrated by Adam Record. Candlewick, 2017. $16.

When the girl hears noise on Christmas Eve, she investigates and finds a small cast of characters to hang out with before she gets tired enough to go back to sleep and be ready for the big day.

From the title I thought this would be more of an elf-on-the-shelf kind of book and I felt a little robbed at the actual story line. It s a pretty basic Christmas book.

Pre-K – OPTIONAL. Cindy, Library Tea
MaryLibrarianOH
Barbra
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very simple read about a young girl who is searching for who ate Santa's treats. It's not just about the elf he is just one of the characters. Pictures are cute. Not much to the story.
Tina Eckenroth
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
Like others have mentioned, I thought this was going to be a story about an Elf on a Shelf but it wasn't. Overall, a less than serviceable Christmas title.
Heather
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Little Crooked Cottage
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(Reviewed on The Little Crooked Cottage Blog by Anika Denise)

What it's all about...
On a snowy Christmas Eve, a little girl tip-toes from her bed to find some surprise friends in her house, including a mouse, an elf, and even the big jolly guy himself.

Why I love it...
Paquette's first book in the series, Ghost in The House, is a perennial Halloween favorite my youngest daughter loves. I purchased the new one at a signing I did with Joan back in October. I plan to wrap it up and give it to my daugh
Heidi
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This simple story about a young girl discovering visitors in her house on Christmas Eve makes for a cute, cumulative story that builds until the final surprise (which isn't too surprising, but will undoubtedly make preschoolers squeal with joy). When the girl discovers the cookies left for Santa have been eaten, she follows the crumbs to see where and to whom they lead. Each segment of the story leads to a page turn of a surprise which allows the story to build to its climax. It would also be fu ...more
Janet
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, fiction
The story was very dumb, but the illustrations were nice and that's why I gave it two stars.
Syntha Green
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A slightly different tale to read for Christmas.
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute idea and interesting rhyme scheme, but fairly forgettable.
Vivian
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Whew! An elf book with minimal text and just enough story to engage little ones. (Also, not creepy like "Elf on a Shelf").
Liz Todd
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Seemed more like a board-book kind of experience than a picture book. Very preschool/toddler.
Jeslyn Zhou
Dec 12, 2017
Adrienne
Nov 28, 2017
Caitlin Schott
Elf in the House is the story of a little girl who is awaken in the night by a sound, a mysterious sound. Intrigued, she proceeds to try and find out just where the sound is coming from! As the story goes on creatures and people continue to be found until they all happen upon each other in the living room. This is a story of anticipatory excitement for Christmas day.

Another story about Christmas!!!! WOW Christmas stories are sooooo good! I found this one really neat as there was a turn at every
Kelly
Oct 17, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017, holiday
Not what I expected, but in a good way. It was a jivey counting story.
Jgulliks
Lucy
Dec 12, 2018
Emily
Nov 29, 2018
Ammi-Joan Paquette has never met a ghost, mummy, monster, skeleton, or witch — as far as she knows. This book, she says, was inspired by a game she used to play with her sister: "Most of the details have been lost to time, but I still remember the shivery thrill I got when we played it. So, I drew on that same energy to write a spooky picture book, which eventually became A Ghost in the House." In ...more