Start by marking “The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse” as Want to Read:
The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse

The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse

This is a story about a mouse, and how he got swallowed up by a wolf, and who he met down in its belly, and what happened after that.
Published October 10th 2017 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse, please sign up.
Sandy Any age! Probably 3 or 4 and up, really - although the wolf swallows the duck and the mouse, they are quite happy to live in the wolf's belly. And…moreAny age! Probably 3 or 4 and up, really - although the wolf swallows the duck and the mouse, they are quite happy to live in the wolf's belly. And though the wolf is in danger when a hunter chases him, the mouse and duck save the day within a couple of pages. I've read this book to kids AND adults who were equally delighted by this story.(less)

Start your review of The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
Carol
Dec 08, 2017 added it
Shelves: children-s
After reading a delightful and positive review here I couldn't resist picking up this book. I love children's stories with animals and nature and am a huge fan of wolves and stories featuring mice. The duck was not so important but hey, the duck turned out to be the key player in this story so...

What did I think? I absolutely loved the illustrations, drawing, and color tones. The eyes of the wolf were a bit off for me and not exactly what I would picture them as being. It's always difficult to
Hilary
Jon Klassen is a much better illustrator than author and works well with Mac Barnett. This is a funny story, I wasn't expecting to like this, it starts with a mouse getting eaten by a wolf. I thought that this was going to be one of those teach-you-a-lesson books but as soon as the mouse reaches the wolf's stomach it finds a duck living there, complete with kitchen, table, chairs and record player, you realise the tone of the book is happy and funny and nothing unsuitable for small children. The ...more
Whispering Stories
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it

Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

One day a wolf found a mouse and gobbled him up. When the mouse reached the wolf’s stomach, he discovered that he wasn’t alone, there was a duck asleep in bed.

Duck was surprised to see Mouse, as much as Mouse was surprised to see Duck. It did not take the two long to become good friends. The two of them cooked together, ate wonderful meals together and had fun. However, all their fun made the wolf sick, which in turn made him unable to run away from
Manybooks
In Marc Barnett’s quirky The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse, being gobbled up alive and whole by a gluttonous wolf turns out not to be the doom and gloom scenario a diminutive mouse fears, as indeed both the mouse and the duck (who is already a resident of the wolf’s insides) actually do have a pretty comfortable and easy existence inside of the wolf’s belly. That is, of course, until they both feast and frolic a bit too rambunctiously and the wolf’s resultant major stomach pains and groans not ...more
Mathew
Utterly bonkers in the very best way. What would you do if you were a little mouse who had found himself swallowed by a wolf? Despair of course! But fear not, for there's a friendly duck sat there in the belly of beast...and he owns a vintage turntable to boot. As with all of those collaborations between Barnett and Klassen so much of the humour comes from knowing that they both know something that we can't quite put our finger on. Unlike the Hat books, Klassen has moved further into the ...more
Cheryl
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
I love it because it's original, and therefore of great interest, providing fodder for discussion and the potential to introduce a new line of creative styles. Much as, say, the first Impressionist painters did. If it were not the first of its kind, I might not like it so much. Then again, the details of (view spoiler) add so much that it's just irresistible and likely to remain so even compared ...more
BrookesEducationLibrary
Surreal and ludicrous and utterly amusing, what happens when your worst fears come true? In this case a little mouse's fear of being eaten by a wolf - well you live happily every after with a duck of course!
Loved it!
Rian *fire and books*
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The duck and mouse are shenanigans incarnate.
Laura Harrison
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-cant-wait
An absolutely gorgeous picture book. Good story that I wish was a little longer. Is it Caldecott worthy? You bet it is!
Candace
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book reminds me more of a folktale about why a wolf howls. The wolf swallows a mouse, who, in turn, meets a duck in the wolf's stomach. The duck shows the mouse what a fun and better place is the inside of a wolf. When the wolf is threatened by a hunter, the mouse and duck defend their home. When the threat has passed, the wolf grants the duck and the mouse whatever favor they want. They ask to be swallowed by the wolf again.

The illustrations remind me of marker coloring. They are vivid
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I dunno, man, this author/illustrator combo is probably the best thing to happen to modern children's books and that's that on that. They're so freaking funny and bizarre, and this book is a great (and surprisingly dark) example of their capabilities together. I was reading this aloud to my son last night and my spouse even got super into it and was commenting on it, if that tells you anything about how much all-ages appeal I think Barnett & Klassen have together.
Christie Angleton
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the EXTREME PRIVILEGE of hearing the author and illustrator read this book at NCTE 2017. Magnificent artists sharing a work of genius.
Abigail
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Klassen & Barnett Fans / Anyone Looking for Children's Stories with a Quirky Sense of Humor
Shelves: picture-books
When a mouse is gobbled up by a wolf, at first he thinks that it is a catastrophe. Then he meets the duck who lives quite happily in the wolf's belly, and gains a new perspective - just because one has been swallowed, it doesn't follow that one should be eaten...

And so begins this surreally amusing adventure from author Mac Barnett and illustrator Jon Klassen, who have collaborated before on such titles as Extra Yarn and Sam and Dave Dig a Hole . Although I appreciated the humor in Barnett's
Prince William Public Library System
How does Mac Barnett find the time to keep cranking out such great material? The Wolf, The Duck, and The Mouse is his fifth picture book of this year alone. Five books in one year?!?!?! That’s crazy prolific! And this one is probably my favorite all, which is saying something, seeing as Triangle, another collaboration with illustrator Jon Klassen that came out a mere 7 months ago, was already high on my list of Best Books of 2017.

The Wolf, The Duck, and The Mouse combines Barnett’s signature
Danielle
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is fine, and the illustrations are great, but I'm not sure who the target audience is. Are children supposed to understand that a nice dinner includes good cheese, a "flagon of wine" and some beeswax candles? Do children know what wraiths are? It's a good idea and I love an origin-type story (why the wolf howls at the moon), but I think this one was a miss.
Kim
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Mac and Jon at their best! This will make for a laugh out loud read aloud!
Rachel
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Spoilers.

First, the summary on the front flap makes you feel like the author is mocking the use of a front flap, but it makes you smile right from the start.

The illustrations aren't quite my thing but it still works! It works well!

There in the beginning when you make the connection that there are so many things to find in a wolves stomach Because he's eaten them- and therefore the duck and mouse are eating things that have already been eaten...that's disturbing.

But then, the duck and the
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Lord, this duo just gets better and better! Lots to laugh at but I particularly liked Mouse’s hockey stick.
Peacegal
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully bizarre and delightfully surreal. As a very young tot, I probably would have been freaked out by the theme of the wolf gobbling everyone up, but as an adult I got the whacked-out sense of humor. Older kids who can understand it (and their parents) will get a kick out of this one.
Alicia
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, clever, and a bit dark. Klassen's illustrations knock this droll tale out of the park. Excellent!
Sara
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I had Jon Klassen and Mac Barnett read this to me today so I guess I can die happy now.
Bethany
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, animals
Put aside your science for a moment. No, a duck and a mouse can't live in a wolf's stomach. It just doesn't work that way. But pretend that they can. It makes so much sense to feel safest inside the worst thing that can happen! (Just ask Kimmy Schmidt. She'd get along splendidly with these two.) Worried that a wolf will eat you? He already did, so there you go. No wolf will ever eat you again.

The dry humor, unexpected bliss in a belly, and signature Klassen color palette offer a tasty platter of
Tracie
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
After being swallowed by a wolf, a mouse and duck become enamored with their newfound security ("When I was outside," explains Duck, "I was afraid every day wolves would swallow me up. In here, that's no worry.") and fight to defend it.

Quirky, clever, and darkly humorous, this tale isn't for everyone--but fans of Jon Klassen's "Hat" trilogy will be pleased. Fittingly, Klassen complements this story with his stark illustrations in a palette predominated by gray, olive green, and brown.
Carrie Gelson
So a duck and a mouse take up residence in the belly of a wolf. Only Barnett and Klassen could pull this off. ...more
Beverly
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-birds, pbf-dogs
This is a funny, quirky story about a mouse and duck who are living quite well in the belly of a wolf. So well, in fact, that they cause the wolf stomach aches. The mixed-media illustrations have a rather muted and dull palette--mostly browns, muted rust reds, some orange, muted gold and green.
Mehsi
I read this one in Dutch, but my review will be in English.

What happens when a Wolf eats a tiny little mouse? Well, a house party! Yes, really. I totally hadn't expected THAT when it happened on the third/fourth page. Our tiny mouse, freshly eaten and now in the stomach of a wolf finds himself in the home of someone else. I was just in stitches seeing the duck, in his bed, looking all angry at someone who disturbed him.

Which btw, makes me wonder how many critters does the wolf eat up, or is the
Alex  Baugh
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One day in the forest, a small mouse meets a big wolf. When the wolf inevitably swallows the mouse, he’s in for a big surprise. There, inside the wolf, is a duck laying in bed. Duck has taken up residency inside wolf, and why not? Life is good, and as duck explains to mouse “I may have been swallowed, but I have no intentions of being eaten.” As the two friends begin to live the high life, wolf begins to have a stomach ache, and the better they live, the sicker wolf gets. When a hunter comes ...more
Becky
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Early one morning, a mouse met a wolf, and he was quickly gobbled up.

Premise/plot: Is that how you were expecting the story to open? Are you at all surprised that almost *all* of the book is set IN the wolf's stomach? The main characters are a MOUSE and a DUCK. These two meet--in the wolf's stomach--and both come to share the same opinion: THIS IS THE GOOD LIFE. Life on the INSIDE is much better than life on the OUTSIDE. On the inside, there are no worries, no fears. Just a lot
Erin
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, woe! Oh, doom! What could be worse than being eaten by a wolf? Being forced out of its belly, according to Duck and Mouse. For real. They love living in Wolf's belly! They don't have to fear being chased or eaten everyday. Food comes to them for nothing. You'd be surprised by all the things a wolf eats and has laying about in its stomach.

One night, a hunter shoots at the wolf. Oh, no! Their home is being attacked! When the wolf's legs get caught in tree roots, Duck and Mouse gallantly arm
Lydia
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Mouse seems to be having a bad day when it is swallowed by a Wolf, however, meeting Duck gives it a change of perspective. Then when more trouble threatens, Mouse and Duck must rise to the occasion and bring about an unexpected wish.

I knew about the first plot twist, but would not have guessed at the rest. While reading the book, the characters' motivations and ideas were pretty easy to follow or guess, but to just say what happens would make it sound crazy, so you'll just have to read the

• After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • The Bad Mood and the Stick
  • A Different Pond
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Robinson
  • The Only Fish in the Sea
  • A Stone for Sascha
  • A Perfect Day
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • The Day War Came
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac Barnett now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.
“I may have been swallowed, said the duck, but I have no intention of being eaten.” 3 likes
“I live well! I may have been swallowed, but I have no intention of being eaten.” 1 likes