Start by marking “The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens: Simple Steps for Healthy, Happy Hens” as Want to Read:

The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens covers all aspects of keeping pet chickens in a beautifully illustrated, no-nonsense format. Kathy addresses everything needed to keep chickens simply, including coops, chick care, breed selection, chicken health, and beyond!

Internationally known as The Chicken Chick, Kathy Shea Mormino brings an informative style and fresh
Published October 1st 2017 by Voyageur Press

To ask other readers questions about The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens

Start your review of The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens: Simple Steps for Healthy, Happy Hens
Janene
if you're interested in keeping chickens, this is the book for you. Every topic on the subject is covered. Things you would never think of. Beautiful pictures and extremely readable. Highly recommended.
Marzie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader's Copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. Please note this book has already been published as of October 1, 2017 and you can buy it right now!

Kathy Shea Mormino is well known for her blog The Chicken Chick and her very active Facebook Page of the same name. Mormino, who is a lawyer by day, is probably one of the most informed chicken owners and advisors that one can find. This book is a very thorough discussion of every single topic
Victoria Peipert
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well written. Very informative. Very comprehensive. I am new to the idea/practice of caring for chickens so this really opened up my eyes to so many aspects of what this would mean. Needless to say, it definitely made me reconsider having chickens right now which is good because I would not have been ready... although I feel much better about a plan for having them in the future! This is an excellent informational resource for anyone considering chickens as pets.
Noorilhuda
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful, informative and practical. The pictures are spot on correlating with the text, whether the author is discussing proper roosts, nests and other living arrangements, diseases, threats and proper diagnoses, nutrition and diet plans, egg quality, chick, pellet and hen care, or the obvious love that the author clearly has for her brood. The book makes you want to go grab a chick and work at it!
Jennifer Caley
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for an experienced chicken keeper to one just starting out. I have often looked at her blog to help diagnose and treat my own chickens and now I have the book to look back on right on the coffee table. It is a great resource.
Thank you Kathy for making this great book! I will keep watching your chickens everyday! :)
Jina
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Chicken Chick tackles keeping chickens in today’s modern world by addressing basic needs, dispelling common myths about their care, and providing both sides of a coin when a technique is controversial. Kathy Shea Mormino’s writing style comes off as if she’s sitting down giving you advice rather than rattling off facts. I really appreciated her list of chores and how often she does them. I was surprised that so much I had read in The Chicken Whisper was actually outdated or bad advise. For ...more
Tricia MacDonald
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Concise and to the point. Easy to read. Everyone should read this book before getting chickens.
Rose
Not just another chicken guide, The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens does have suggestions and advice not normally found in the run off the mill, photograph heavy, barnyard books from blogger-type turned author people. I liked the layout and balance of information with pictures. It was difficult to maneuver in ebook format so I would recommend the real book version. Full Disclosure: I was allowed to read a copy of this book for free as a member of NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased ...more
michelle yates
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome as expected!

I was a bit slow getting this book, as I was waiting for the digital edition. As expected it is an awesome reference guide. Id call it a must have for any beginning chicken keeper.
Harry Man
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great beginners book. I did a lot of research online before getting my chickens and when I got them so this was more just confirming all I had read but it's good to get a plethora of opinions, and there are a dime a dozen when it comes to Chickens.
Laurie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Kathy and her flock. There is so much good information in this book and I love the photos.
Libby
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a super-helpful guide which I will be referencing frequently when our chickies arrive in May.
Tiffany
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pets
Keep as an excellent reference.
Brooke Smith
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Practical guide that dispels a lot of myths and bad advice about chicken-keeping, for both the burgeoning farmer or the urban hobbyist.
Judy
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We plan on raising chickens soon. This book was SO informative. SO much I didn’t know about raising chickens before. The book will be put to good use.
Beth
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
If you're considering buying that cute, fluffy chick from the feed store and trying to raise it in your backyard, I highly recommend reading this book first. There's a lot more that goes into keeping chickens than you realize, and Mormino does a great job explaining exactly what it entails.

While this book contains a ton of valuable information, I wish it was organized in a better way. Mormino just jumps right in without giving any basics for us beginners. For example, she begins the chapter on
Patty
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will admit the hubby does most of the chicken care about the farm. Although there are times he is not here so in those instances it falls to me. They are, for the most part very easy animals to care for – they need a safe place to roost at night, food and fresh water.

This book offers what the author has learned through the years and years she has kept chickens. She has a longstanding and well known blog (I had long read the blog before I was sent the book) and community where she passed on her
Britt, Book Habitue
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
(received for review)
I admittedly have no desire to raise chickens, but I found this book fascinating.
It is a bit repetitive... which gets old when you are reading straight through but would be less noticeable if you were reading a bit here and a bit there or looking up specific information.
The captions being straight quotes from the text is a pet peeve of mine though.
Attica
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall very good book for the beginner chickeneer. The one thing I wish there was more detail on was the causes for GI issues - she mentions to look out for them, but not the causes. Other than that, funny and well-rounded about all things chickeny.
Alyssa
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent source for anyone looking into raising chickens
Michelle
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource. It wasn't super entertaining, but it had all you need to know about raising chickens. I believe if you only read this book about chickens you would be prepared.
Madeline
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
Not a fan of her no-eating-chickens approach. However, this is a decent book if you are looking to do a small home flock of egg layers.
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the best chicken books I have reviewed, and that is sort of dating it with faint praise, as in comparison, the other chicken books have been quite bad.

This one, I agreed with much of what she was saying. Her advice is advice, for the most part, that I would have welcomed when I was first starting out, so this is really a good book for the person who is just staring their flock, or thinking about starting it. She is sort of a Marth Stewart of chickens, in that her hutch area looks
Bryan A Foster
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good basic book

Pretty good primer on keeping chickens in the backyard. Was homing for a little more in the way of chick care but I really can’t complain with the scope over all
Yvonne
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed in this book. This is the hipsters guide to raising chicks. It is over the top on the proper care for chicks. As in the only way you can raise chicks is by doing x... even if the alternative has effectively raised chicks for decades. Maybe I don't want to spend $75 for a special warmer that's only used for the first 2 weeks of my chick's lives... I also honestly don't think that if I feed my chicks something other than the "specially formulated chicken food made by ...more
Jennisse Schule

• How to Build Chicken Coops: Everything You Need to Know
  • Building Chicken Coops: Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-224
  • Lord, Teach Me To Study The Bible In 28 Days
  • Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
  • The Secret Sense of Wildflower
  • Don't Quit Before You Finish
  • The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove (Pine Cove, #2)
  • Monster