Start by marking “The Suburban Swindle” as Want to Read:
The Suburban Swindle

The Suburban Swindle

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Idling away in punk rock uniforms, with glowing cigarette coals warming their dry knuckles, teens and twenty-somethings gather nightly along the curbs of Jersey streets. The Suburban Swindle, a short story collection by Jackie Corley, depicts the wander-lust of a generation of kids piecing together their lives in a world moving too fast to stop and give them directions. Th ...more
Published October 15th 2008 by So New Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Suburban Swindle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Suburban Swindle

Jackie
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I, um, wrote it.
Kevin
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I blurbed this book. I essentially said This book kicks ass, but you know in different words. This book really is stellar "tough girl lit."
C
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
A warning label for what happens when you write without a competent editor. She uses the words thumb and jawline in every story. Often a character will run their thumb across a jawline. Often a character will just do so much with their thumb. I say character, I mean woman. Even the characters with male names act like women, with the worst example being Jack from the final story. He turns down sex and lets a girl hold a cigarette in his mouth.

All that being said, Corley does do what the blurbs s
Kevin Fanning
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jackie's not so much a writer as she is a zombie sorcerer. She creates these sentences that come crawling at you out of every dark corner, all naked and dirty and starving. Pretty intense and astounding stuff.

I felt the last two stories weren't quite as strong as the rest of the collection, something about the characters or the narrative threads didn't grab as tight a hold of me. But this is minor, overall it's a fantastic collection and I look forward to reading more from her in the future.

Favo
P. H.
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
See blog for complete review.
Sara Habein
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it
It’s a slim volume, eight stories alone, but all are drenched in the smallest details — the way a bitter drink slides down throats, the texture of scars from old wounds, and the way the one’s environment turns otherworldly while under the influence.

I didn’t love every story — some seemed too lost in the details at the expense of plot — but I did appreciate the realness of each character. None are all that likeable, but I’ve certainly met people like them. They’re the screwed up men and women you
Yvette Ward-Horner
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Jackie Corley is a very talented writer with a powerful voice. She has a real knack for capturing the angst and confusion that accompanies early adulthood. Reading this book took me right back to my early twenties - I could almost taste the cheap vodka again. She has a way of dragging you headfirst into her scenes and making you rub up against her characters, even when you really don't want to. Some of them are downright repulsive but, then, I like it that way sometimes.
Doug
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Angry, angsty, sexy stories of the hopeless and the hopeful, served up by Corley in her authentic down and dirty stylish prose. She writes like she's seen it all -- the sad, ugly, and beautiful within the little piece of the world she claims as the setting for these stories. And she has the chops to tell us what it means, through the actions of her vivid characters. Everybody should read this book.
Lit