Start by marking “Act of Betrayal (Spycatcher #7)” as Want to Read:
Act of Betrayal (Spycatcher #7)

Act of Betrayal

(Spycatcher #7)

In this riveting entry in the celebrated thriller series, former intelligence operative Will Cochrane—a "ruthless yet noble" (Ft. Worth Star-Telegram) man from whom "Bond and Bourne could learn a thing or two" (Madison County Herald)—comes out of hiding to expose a conspiracy involving a past assassination that reaches to the highest echelons of the U.S. government.

Three y
Paperback, Large Print, 416 pages
Published October 24th 2017 by HarperLuxe

To ask other readers questions about Act of Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Act of Betrayal

Nabarun
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! Matthew Dunn writes one full Will Cochrane novel without killing anyone who is remotely associated to Cochrane, as we generally see in all previous Matthew Dunn/Will Cochrane novels. And I loved it! The demise of Vince Flynn has changed Mitch Rapp's action days to more tamed ways of working as a terrorist buster for CIA. Hence I was looking forward to a more aggressive Will Robie and Jessica Reel (from David Baldacci) and continued agression minus the personal tragedies from Mathew Dunn. I ...more
Ted Lehmann
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Only hard core conspiracy and violence fans
Act of Betrayal by Matthew Dunn – Book Review

Act of Betrayal: A Will Cochrane Novel by Matthew Dunn (William Morrow, 2017, 320 Pages, $18.35/12.99) is a spy thriller from the macho, uber male, perspective of super-spy Will Cochrane, who, for reasons I can't understand, has reached the seventh volume of an apparently popular series. After reading the first few chapters of this book, I decided it wasn't for me. I don't generally read thrillers heavy on the U.S. spy system, special forces, or other
Joan
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Dunn has created an action packed plot with a bigger than life hero. Cochrane is an assassin, a very good one. He kills lots of people in this novel. He's also a very nice guy. Somehow, those two aspects of his personality didn't seem to work together.

I found it a little difficult to enjoy Dunn's writing style. There are many long paragraphs of background material, descriptions, etc. I would have preferred action or dialog to move the plot forward rather than the abundance of descriptive materia
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Fans of Jason Bourne or Ethan Hunt will absolutely LOVE Matthew Dunn's series of novel revolving around Will Cochrane, the ultimate intelligence operative and most lethal most wanted man by our own government. While he had faked his own death, to avoid being captured on many fronts, he is now gone into deeper uncover to avoid being killed, arrested or tortured by those who want what secrets he knows. There is only a handful of trusted individuals whom know that Will is alive, and when a mission ...more
Shelly
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
With everything that is going on in our world, I thoroughly enjoy reading "behind the scenes" - even if it is fiction. I attribute Dunn's ability to create a realistic storyline with characters who are raw, real, and full of human-like emotion to his real-life experience as a MI6 field officer. Cochrane may be one cold-hearted assassin but his compassionate side and loyalty to his friend prove that he's human.

The story is very active and full of detail - perhaps too much for some but I enjoyed
Kim (Bookishly Me)
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
4.5/5

I can so really enjoy a good espionage thriller and I love the Spycatcher series by Matthew Dunn.

I have read several books in this series but not all of them and that is what I like about this series you do not need to read all the books to enjoy one. Eventhough there is a lot of references to earlier happenings you are given enough information to understand it. Itjust also makes you want to read the other books.

With Will Cochrane Matthew Dunn has created a very intruiging character. It is
Jean Kolinofsky
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a thriller series that will keep you on the edge of your seat, you can’t do any better than Matthew Dunn’s Will Cochrane novels. In Act of Betrayal, Cochrane is involved with the assassination of a German involved with the financing of terrorist cells. After completing his assignment in Berlin, he goes into hiding as an antique book seller, but three years later someone is killing the people behind that assignment. Cochrane is called by his former mentor from the CIA, who ...more
Craig Wakefield
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
We are told that Will Cochrane is the most dangerous assassin in the world. I have often wondered how someone reaches the top of their trade. Is it worth the effort, the pain, the sacrifice to become so proficient? Can someone who has reached the top ever easily recede into the background?

Here we begin to get the answers about Chochrane and his life. It is with satisfaction that we see more positives than negatives about Chochrane. We begin to empathize with him. Is it time to actually let Will
Seabreeeze
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Matthew Dunn.

Within pages I found myself wondering at the way it was written. It felt cumbersome or, as another review has described it, "clunky." I gave it some more time, read some action scenes to which the author gave two or three sentences each, and just cannot face the prospect of reading more of this.

So not only is this my first book by Dunn, it will also be my last.
Tony
Jan 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Big disappointment.

I loved the first couple of books, it looked like I had another great character to follow along the lines of Allon. However, with these last two they read like the author was just showing up and filling pages with words.

The number of times he repeated the same information, and the silly sentimentality thrown in seems that very little effort was put into the story.

I finally stopped about 80%. Life is too short to spend on bad books.
Garry Thompson
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than a four star, but not quite a five rate rating -- call it a 4.5 star rating. Somehow, I had lost track of Dunn's latest novels. Now, I need to go back and read the sixth book in the series. It's best to read these books in order. My error (reading out of sequence) may be the reason for dropping the rating. The ending left room for a sequel.
Ted Hinkle
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although this is Matthew Dunn's 7th Will Cochrane thriller, it is my first encounter with the series. "Act of Betrayal" is an action packed page turner with a satisfying finish. However, Dunn eludes to future novels in the series within the final pages. After reading "Act of Betrayal", I look forward to more of this thriller series.
Neil Schoolnik
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is not mentioned enough. It is definitely worth reading and it is very enjoyable. The genius of this particular installment is that you can read this book without reading any other books in the series. You will want to start the series, if all you have read is this one. What makes this book so good, is the subtle twist at the end.
Wilde Sky
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
An ex-assassin / government agent gets dragged into a web of intrigue.

The basic storyline was good (even if I felt I read the parts of same plot before) but the writing was very clunky and repetitive.
Stacy Bearse
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Dunn has created a convoluted story of loyalty and betrayal. The plot twists a bit too tightly for my tastes, with an invisible hand wielding the levers of power. Hopefully, all will be revealed in a sequel.
Bibliothekerin
Interesting, unique collection of spies—from different countries and services but all know and respect each other, so they come together to help one of them.
I wish I’d read this in order, not first, because now I know too much... ;)
Bob
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much

I liked his previous books in the Will Cochrane series, but thought this was way overdone. Almost comic book fare. Will check author's next book carefully before buying it.
Jane
Apr 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
tried first in series, and now this one--couldn't finish either. characters are composed of superlatives and/or quirks. and most of the dialogue isn't anything anyone would say, ever. so, no more from this author.
Warren Thoms
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good possible ending to the series. There has been no new book for the last few years but the ending does leave things open to another book. I do like the character of Will. He is the best at what he does but is also flawed.
Ashima Jain
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spy thrillers being my favourite in the thriller genre, I quite enjoyed reading this one and am now curious to pick up the others in the series.
Jacquelyn Skahill
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced. Wrongly accused in the public sector. Never had an ending wrapped up like this!
Derek Solomon
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
excellent spy thriller from an author with real life experience
Jballingham
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Darius Ostrowski
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Getting a bit predictable.... OK, it always was kinda predictable but it really came through in this book. Would be nice if occasionally someone didn't like Will....
Robert Knorr
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5; anxiously awaiting the next chapter in Will Cochrane’s saga.
Peter Fiske
To think I almost didn’t read this book. I know now I almost missed a very good book.
This was the first of the Spycatcher series I have read. I now need the rest of the books.
Terry
Nov 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Great storyline, horrible writing. Honestly felt like it was written by algorithm. Probably done with this series.
Michael
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Have read all the others which were great. This though was disappointing. Some of the lines were just simply stupid. Couldn't finish it. Hope the next is better.
Travis
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book. Easy to read. And the story had twists in it. I will read the others in this series
Sue Marie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little convoluted, but still engaging.
  • Strong to the Bone (Caitlin Strong, #9)
  • Kill Shot (White Knights #2)
  • Vengeance (Brooke Grant #3)
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics #1)
  • The Fourth Vow
  • Vernon House
  • Severed Trust (Men of the Texas Rangers, #4)
  • Miracle Drug
  • Plague
  • Deep Water (Katie Flanagan, #1)
  • Out of Range
  • Rule of Law
  • Hidden in the Stars (Quilts of Love, #21)
  • The Devil Walks in Mattingly
  • Mind Games
  • Dark Deception (Defenders of Justice #2)
  • The Remnant
  • Chameleon (The Ravensmoore Chronicles #2)
Matthew Dunn spent 5 years in the British Secret Intelligence Service, commonly known as MI6, as a field operative. His role required him to recruit and run agents, coordinate and participate in special operations, and to operate in deep-cover roles throughout the world in order to collect secret intelligence to support the West’s ongoing fight against hostile and unpredictable regimes, state-spon ...more

Spycatcher (7 books)
  • Spycatcher (Spycatcher, #1)
  • Sentinel (Spycatcher, #2)
  • Slingshot (Spycatcher, #3)
  • Dark Spies (Spycatcher, #4)
  • The Spy House (Spycatcher #5)
  • A Soldier's Revenge (Spycatcher #6)