Start by marking “The Alzheimer's Solution: A Breakthrough Program to Prevent and Reverse the Symptoms of Cognitive Decline at Every Age” as Want to Read:

A revolutionary, proven program for reversing the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease and cognitive decline from award winning neurologists and codirectors of the Brain Health and Alzheimer's Prevention Program at Loma Linda University Medical Center

Over 47 million people are currently living with Alzheimer’s disease worldwide. While all other major diseases are in decline, de
Published September 12th 2017 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Alzheimer's Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alzheimer's Solution

Cheri
They'd never spent a night apart,
For sixty years, she heard him snore.
Now they're in a hospital,
In separate beds on different floors.

Claire soon lost her memory,
Forgot the names of family.
She never spoke a word again,
Then one day, they wheeled him in.

He held her hand and stroked her hair,
In a fragile voice she said:
"Where've you been? "
"I've looked for you forever and a day."
"Where've you been?"
"I'm just not myself when you're away."
"No, I'm just not myself when you're away."

-- Where’ve You
Esther
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-edelweiss, arc
This was informative and educating.

Overview of Alzheimers and how lifestyle (nutrition, exercise, relationships, sleep, etc) are what can possibly prevent or deter the onset of Alzheimers. Even delay or stall the disease.

Helps breakdown the possible contributors to Alzheimer, as in possible family history and lifestyle in getting the disease.

Dedicates chapters to each of the keys for prevention. With in-depth explanations for why and how it contributes too or prevents the disease, as in eating c
Allysia K
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find Alzheimer's fascinating and terrifying, so I really enjoyed this heady book. What I love about this is book is that it's very science-based with excellent information and research - but it's also very practical and actionable. It focuses on what you can do to lower your risk of Alzheimer's using a mnemonic device (NEURO).

NEURO stands for nutrition, exercise, unwind, rest and optimize. The book helps you identify your weak spots and gives you lots of great suggestions to improve.

Read this
Christopher Lawson
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We Know The Current Approach Isn’t Working. We Don’t Have Time To Lose.

In THE ALZHEIMERS SOLUTION, doctors Dean and Ayesha Sherzai give us the bad news first: “There is reason to be afraid” they announce. Deaths due to Alzheimer’s have “increased by nearly 87 percent in the last decade.” The disease is also incredibly expensive, costing $226 billion in the United States alone.

The early chapters of the book present the biology of the disease, including a discussion of how the brain is affected, a
Esmael
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When an Author Gets It Right

In their book “The Alzheimer’s’ Solution,” Drs. Dean and Ayesha Sherzai propose an ambitious plan with a promising positive influence not only over your memory performance and prevention of dementia, but your overall health. The bullet points of their plan are already mentioned in some previous reviews, but what stood out for me, as a psychotherapist with background in medicine, are the following:

1. The Authors’ Holistic Approach: The authors, unlike many other profes
Linda
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you read this book, you will become a Vegan! Sugar, meat, fish, dairy all are bad for your brain!
Ola
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is scary.
It makes it clear that unless you take responsibility for your lifestyle, not only your so-called physical health will be affected, but your cognitive capacity too.
Marie
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
"Protective factors for prevention of Alzheimer's are a plant based diet, daylight exposure, regular exercise, 7 to 8 hours of sleep, meditation, continual learning, purpose driven activities and social engagement."

"Daily brisk walks resulted in a 40 percent lower risk of developing Alzheimer's later in life."

"Working out at home is better. Exercise programs need to be easy and convenient."

"Multi tasking is rapid task switching which places enormous stress on the brain. Multitasking takes an esp
Carolyn Frith
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think everyone who is aging or has aging loved ones (that means everyone) should read this book. It is a totally different take on dementia than the one expressed by the medical community. If we take action to live healthier lifestyles, we can significantly reduce the chance and severity of dementia in our lives.
Fern
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book review on Goodreads; the book arrived as a giveaway and I was very pleasantly surprised to receive it. I am a new retiree, having worked several diverse careers.

The authors do a great job of providing hope for a very debilitating condition. Their research and breakdown of life components such as cognitive exercises, nutrition, stress control, physical exercise, and how to optimize the various factors that help preserve mental capacity as we age are all very well explained.
Bookfanatic
There's a heavy emphasis on vegetarianism in this book which I don't find is supported by studies on Alzheimer's. Overall, it's an easy to read book with a plan of action for those who are looking for step by step guidance. Get it from a library so you don't have to spend money. There's really nothing revolutionary here for anyone who takes a moderate interest in personal health. Get enough sleep, find ways to reduce stress, have a good social network, eat a variety of vegetables and fruits pref ...more
Shayla
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-promotion
Researchers and neurologists Drs Dean and Ayesha Sherzai explore Alzheimer's through the current research, their own medical experiences and the evidence within their own community of Loma Linda, one of the Blue Zones. They include practical steps to maintain your cognitive health.
They incorporate nutrition - avoid processed foods, eat a plant-based diet, and exercise. As well as including mental challenges to avoid cognitive decline. An all-inclusive look at how our health habits can make a di
William Schram
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In The Alzheimer’s Solution by Dean & Ayesha Sherzai, we find that Diet and Exercise is pretty much the most potent medicine we have. With their medically proven course of action, you can slow or reverse your cognitive decline.

This sort of book is interesting to me in that someone in my family had Alzheimer’s. I might have mentioned this story before in another book review. It is great to gain hope in the face of such a terrible illness.

The book itself goes over a series of life-changing cho
Eileen Hadfield
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is actually very practical and contains information everyone SHOULD know-take good care of your body, including nutrition, exercise and reducing stress, and you will live longer. However, this book really hit home for me and made me look at Alzheimer’s a bit differently. Taking care of your body means taking care of your brain and the authors lay out the research for this. The only reason I’m not giving this book 5 stars is because I didn’t appreciate that the authors painted the entir ...more
Catherine
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Points to several areas that can contribute to your risk of developing Alzheimer's and provides practical strategies for addressing them. (What have become common sense ways to maintain a decent quality of life - sleep 7-8 hours, move your body, keep learning, manage stress, have a social life and eat well. ) Relies heavily on research on ' blue zone' populations. Argues for veganism but also encourages eating less meat & more veggies ( it's not an all or nothing message). I hate the the tit ...more
Kim Veach
This is such a good and practical book. The first part has a lot of science in it that can be difficult to get through, but once you do (and if you like science it's really interesting) the rest of the book is easy to understand. It doesn't just tell you to "eat better", "exercise more", etc., but instead gives you very practical ways to start incorporating it into your life (or your loved one). It teaches you how to start with small changes to make your brain and your life better. Most of all, ...more
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jennifer by: goodreads first reads
Shelves: owned-books
I won this book though goodreads first reads for an honest review.I love this book.It is so informative and has information that made me questioned what i thought i knew.I enjoyed getting more information on an illness that will help me understand what i may get later in life and that to have this book show me a program that could help me in the long run is rewarding.I especially love that it offers a recipe section for good health.
I recommend this book to any and all individuals who have a love
Susan Brockmann
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Motivating and inspiring book

The book has a lot of convincing evidence to alter my way of eating. It's an easy and interesting read and I've already tried several of the recipes which taste surprisingly good! It gets a little repetative in places but it just convinces me more to move toward a plant-based diet to improve my mental and physical health. Thanks for an informative book!
Maura
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Wow, did not realize that early symptoms of cognitive decline could be reversed.

My new learnings: how important it is to eat a plant-based diet, and undergo short bursts of exercise throughout the day.

The eating guidelines parallel those of many other longevity-focused books: vegan whole plant foods with some algae and other oils.

I'd recommend this book to anyone, even those who don't have a family history of the disease.
Sandi Hemming
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book about research that shows that 90% of dimentia can be prevented by lifestyle modification, the other 10% can be delayed by 10-15 years by the same lifestyle modifications (N-nutrition, E-Exercise, U-Unwind, R-Restore, O-Optimize). Highly recommend this book if you have a family history of cognitive decline, if you are an aging human, or if you just want to milk everything you can from the years you have!
Joey
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somewhat repetitive, as all books of this milieu are, but this was so good to hear. The idea that Alzheimer's is more than genetics and can be combatted by simple things like diet, exercise, sleep, stress management and keeping your brain active, is such a message of hope for myself and everyone with their golden years in front of them. Highly recommended.
Alyson Hinkie
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Informative, and a formidable challenge to the trendy Paleo and super low-carb diets sweeping the country. I would highly recommend this to anyone with a family history of Alzeimer's. I wish the answer was a pill because I really don't want to have to work this hard to take care of myself.:) And there's the rub. Read at your own risk!
Matthew
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An easy to read book, filled with scientifically backed steps each of us can take while still young to reduce the risk of cognitive decline in the future, as well as steps those already suffering from cognitive decline can take to mitigate the damage and in some cases reverse some of the loss. A must read!
Mary Casey
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based by Science

This is a quick read that includes a lot of common sense backed by research. I'm not ready for the extremism of the diet, but I agree with striving towards it. Most of the included recipes look easy and interesting. Staying active, involved, learning new things, and eating right are key.
Betsy
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It was very easy to read. Lots of data and stories to support their arguments. Practical steps to implement each item. I love that they added some recipes as well, and saved a lot of them.
Lori Gibbany
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A little repetitive and a little dry but full of good useful information. I like that you can go to the website and take a test to see where you currently stand at getting Alzheimer's. I am very grateful that people are doing so much research into this and that basic care will help
Susan Csoke
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alzheimer's is a devastating life threatening disease. In this book you will read how ninety percent of alzheimer's cases can be prevented. Thankyou Goodreads for this free book!!!!!
Tina
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Eat well. Sleep well. Stress less. Exercise. Relax. Follow these rules long before old age and you'll reap the rewards in your later years.
David Steele
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is really a great book on adopting a healthy lifestyle .
Amy
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information. Definitely worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• How to Spot a Dangerous Man Before You Get Involved: Describes 8 Types of Dangerous Men, Gives Defense Strategies and a Red Alert Checklist for Each,
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • The Improvisational Cook
  • Learning to Speak Alzheimer's: A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease
  • Whole Detox: A 21-Day Personalized Program to Break Through Barriers in Every Area of Your Life
  • 1001 Ideas That Changed the Way We Think
  • With the End in Mind: Dying, Death, and Wisdom in an Age of Denial
  • Younger: A Breakthrough Program to Reset Your Genes, Reverse Aging, and Turn Back the Clock 10 Years
  • The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution: A Proven 4-Week Program to Rescue Your Metabolism, Hormones, Mind  Mood
  • Cinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose Inches
  • Autumnal Tints
  • Mug Cakes
  • Discovering the Word of Wisdom: Surprising Insights from a Whole Food, Plant-Based Perspective
  • Dirty Genes: A Breakthrough Program to Treat the Root Cause of Illness and Optimize Your Health
  • The Greenprint: Plant-Based Diet, Best Body, Better World
  • Appetite for Life: The Thumbs-Up, No-Yucks Guide to Getting Your Kid to Be a Great Eater--Including Over 100 Kid-Approved Recipes
  • Tiptoe to the Moon