Start by marking “The Date to Save” as Want to Read:
The Date to Save

The Date to Save

The word is out…

Brooks Mandeville, quarterback: Friday is the homecoming game and dance. It is a very big deal.

Natalie Wagner, marching band clarinet: Our band’s halftime show performances are legendary, even if our football team isn’t.

Cinthia Alvarez, Academic Battle team member: Our Academic Battle team has won five years in a row. This Friday, it’ll be six.

Tanner Ericks
Published September 12th 2017 by Point

To ask other readers questions about The Date to Save, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Date to Save

jv poore
This succinct story is an oral documentary, delivered in written format. Quite appealing to this avid reader, it seemed to create the quick, concise medium to appropriately accompany the pace of the plot. In a kind-of-counterintuitive way, I feel like this is a fantastic format for the wary reader, too. Essentially composed of conversations, with few notes added; extraneous minutiae is eliminated. Fewer words means better choices. Each sentence is carefully crafted and I definitely dig the dialo ...more
Thamy
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was daringly hilarious! I may have rounded the rating up to 4 stars but I don't think it was even a 3.5. Maybe 3.8?

This is a transcript for the oral history of how a chaotic day when the three main events of a school came to happen all on the same date. Actually, four events but no one really remembers that theater exists. And Angelica is set on writing the best article about it so Colin won't reject her story once more from running on the school paper.

The style selected to portray this sto
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

One day, five events

Oh, San Anselmo Prep how I missed you and your quirky student body! It was so much fun to be back in this world, and to have an all new oral history to enjoy.

I was such a HUGE fan of It's Not Me, It's You, so when I heard Strohm was releasing a companion, I sort of danced a little jig of joy.

In The Date to Save, we get to meet the younger sister of Hutch, one of the main characters from the previous book. While working on an article for the newspaper about t
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
So this was super cute and fun and just what I expected from Stephanie Kate Strohm in this companion to It’s Not Me It’s You. I loved seeing the drama unfold as Angelica, Hutch’s little sister, discovers that 3 major school events have been scheduled for the same day - at the same time. It was lighthearted, funny and a perfect summer read.

I really liked a lot of the characters. Angelica was a strong MC, who made it easy to fall into the story. Becca, her best friend was the perfect snarky addit
Mandy
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp
If you're ever looking for a book that will leave you with just the biggest smile and giddiest feeling when you close the book for the final time, look no further.

Strohm has easily become one of my favorite contemporary authors. She forever brings the funnies, the heart, and so many likeable characters. I forever will be enthralled with this two little book series that not only takes a supremely cool twist on a book format but brings highly memorable characters and just the happiest feeling.

Tec
Katie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
not *quite* as enjoyable as Its Not Me Its You but still full of great characters, authentic voice, humor and cute fluff. I loved the variety of stories being told (not just football/cheerleading but newspaper, theatre, band & quiz bowl) and the tiny mystery plot! one random thing I really appreciated was that the characters were sophomores and rode bikes/got rides with mom bc that's more realistic than everyone magically being 16 and owning a car.

also I got to see my ship from book 1 <3
Natalie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Shey
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried really hard to like and to finish this book but I couldn't.
Trisha
Hilarious. A joy to read. Much high school shenanigans.

4 and a half stars.
Portia
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love love love love Stephanie Strohm and couldn't handle my excitement when the galley for this book arrived.

When I heard that Stephanie was writing a sequel to It's Not Me, It's You, I thought that she must be a little crazy. That book was awesome and the format was cool and unique. How could she follow it up with something as awesome?

Well, not only did she follow it up, she outdid herself. The Date to Save follows Angelica Hutchinson as she realizes that all of the big fall events at her hig
Amaree Jenkins
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The girl in my books name is Angelica, and she was trying her hardest to be a writer but the leader named Collins didn't think she meets up to the goal to be a writer but when he finally gives her a chance she quits because of her brother.
Ms. Yingling
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Odd format and definitely a high school title. Do love the cover.
Alison Morquecho
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book was soo fun! I hate that I forgot soo much of it’s not u it’s me. I think I would have enjoyed this one more. It got confusing at first since the povs changed soo much but it was still fun. And a really fast read. I really liked the mc and all of the other characters!
Mandy
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it, it was okay.
I wasn’t really interested in Angelica & Ben’s Relationship it seemed kinda rushed. I think that Colin and her would of made a more interesting and better couple.
On the plus side, Avery and Hutch made an appearance. They’re so cuteeee. I kinda disliked how Avery was referred as just Hutch’s girlfriend most of the time. She’s more than that and we didn’t learn about what she did at college. It makes sense though the story is about Angelica. (Ode to animal fries ❤ So
Alison Glass
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reasons you'll love this book as much as, if not MORE THAN, It's Not Me, It's You:

1. Jane Austen hero references (and NOT Mr. Darcy)
2. A PERFECTLY placed Hamilton reference that made me laugh so hard I had a coughing fit, and I don't even really care about Hamilton.
3. Cats.
4. Cameos from several members of the INMIY gang.
5. a MYSTERY to solve.
6. just. all the laughter. seriously.

(Ok, these are really just reasons *I* loved the book, but seriously, it's good.)
Casey
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It didn't grab me in the same way as its predecessor "It's Not Me, It's You" and the premise was a little farther fetched, nor did the dialogue live up to that of "Prince in Disguise." That said, it had it's moments, definitely trolled our current political climate, and was generally a lot of fun.
Rachael
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely not as enjoyable as the previous one, so that bummed me out.
American Mensa
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Editor of the Prepster, Angelica Hutcherson, goes on a journey of intrigue! Politics! Uniform thievery! Scheduling disasters! Insincere senior students! And worst of all, decreasing french fry crispiness! Or in other words, Homecoming week at San Anselmo Prep High School.
The Date to Save by Stephanie Strohm, has a unique writing style. Most of the characters talk in past or occasionally present tense implying all the events in story have already occurred. But th
Kelli Spear
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adored It's Not Me, It's You and so my hopes were high for its sequel/spinoff. I was not letdown as it was just as it's just as enjoyable as the first.

This time, our lead voice is the sister of one of last book's best voices. Angelica Hutcherson is the little sister of a genius. And is always referred to as Hutch's Little Sister. All she wants is to be herself and have her own identity. AND---to write fiction for the school newspaper. When she's assigned to cover the Academic Battle, she unco
Amy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I didn't really like this book simply because I wasn't used to reading a story in this format. it was confusing at first but then I got used to it and I actually enjoyed it. The main character, Angelica, bothered me a bit with her kind of whiney personality. Later as I continue to read, she became a more well rounded individual who truly cared about what she was doing.

The characters gave me a nice little look at what goes on in a fancy prep school with their differences and similaritie
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. As always, an honest review.

The premise is that all of the high school’s major fall activities are scheduled on the same day. Homecoming, Academic Battle competition, student government elections, and the fall play. It’s a perfect setup to demonstrate the chaos, drama, fun, and hard work that goes into high school activities. The Date to Save is written from multiple students’ points of view, switching perspectives every few paragraphs.
Rosita5
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I have very mix feelings about this book at first I didn’t understand it the story and it was just a bunt of points of view talking things that I didn’t think were important then like half in the book I got more entertained and I was like I could kind of understand why people like it 😏 and I really like the romance relationship between angelica and the guy that shall not be name because no spoiler but I also felt it was to quick and didn’t really when they started liking each other until they ac ...more
Leah B
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is in the middle of okay, and the I liked it, but more towards the I liked it. At the beginning it was kind of confusing, because the story is almost told in a text format, because it switches perspective every five sentences or so. But it only switches to people who are relevant to the topic being discussed. It does have humor, and was funny. However, it didn't really have a plot during the first half of the book, and I had no idea where the story was headed. As a result, it didn't fe ...more
Genevieve
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the first book/companion, It's Not Me, It's You, but still pretty fun, especially when things start picking up at the end. Just like protagonist Angelica, I got swept up in the drama of too many events scheduled on the same day at the same time - yes, that is the central point, and it is so much drama that you'll probably fall in like as well. I really like this whole "oral history" format, getting to see all the different interviews working together and very obviously dispr ...more
Allison
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, young
I loved the full cast recording of this really fun story! I felt we really got to know the school and such a wide variety of characters. It isn't deep or full of serious issues but I was impressed with the growth of the characters over the course of the story. Highly recommended if you are looking for a fun school story for middle school/early high school with just the right amount of romance.

(audiobook available on hoopla)
Stacey Conrad
An oral history of when all the important school events are scheduled on the very same day. Funny bits, but lots of people to keep track of, and threads to trace. The audio helps with keeping track of people. There is a different voice for everyone. I did not realize this was a companion novel but do to feel slighted now that I know.
Wisty
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This plot seemed kinda cutesy, but this was actually such a fun read! Very funny, and interestingly formatted. Even though there were like 50 points-of-view, everyone was very real and distinct and there was no trouble keeping people straight.

Some fun references; when Captain Wentworth was mentioned, I actually lifted my hand to praise the Lord. YES.

A great time was had by all.
Shana
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-2018, fiction, ya
Honestly, this book wasn't that good. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something I'd recommend as a light in-between read or an intentional fun read. Apparently this is loosely a follow up to a book that takes place in the same school; there's a bit of that other book after the end (and crossover characters) and I'm not interested in that one either.
Jen Bojkov
Cute, funny story with a touch of romance here and there. Told from multiple points of view in an “oral history” format. This is a good one for older middle school kids and up. The cast is diverse- although that’s not the main focus of the story.
Michelle
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was cute, I just had a hard time getting into the way she chose to format the story. I think I would have liked alternating chapters from different characters more. Still enjoyable, though!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Stephanie Kate Strohm is the author of The Taming of the Drew, Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink, Confederates Don't Wear Couture, and the upcoming It's Not Me, It's You and Prince in Disguise. She grew up in Connecticut and attended Middlebury College in Vermont, where she was voted Winter Carnival Queen. Currently she lives in Chicago with her fiance and a little white dog named Lorelei Lee.