Start by marking “Tales from the Loop: Roleplaying in the '80s That Never Was” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Loop: Roleplaying in the '80s That Never Was

Tales from the Loop: Roleplaying in the '80s That Never Was

In 1954, the Swedish government ordered the construction of the world’s largest particle accelerator. The facility was complete in 1969, located deep below the pastoral countryside of Mälaröarna. The local population called this marvel of technology The Loop.

Acclaimed scifi artist Simon Stålenhag’s paintings of Swedish 1980s suburbia, populated by fantastic machines and st
ebook, PDF, 191 pages
Published 2017 by Free League Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the Loop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Loop

Jonathan Hicks
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This game is about me.

I was born in 1971 so my formative years, the age range and era that this game represents, are perfect. My memories and experiences are the things that this game evokes, and I clearly remember the style, fashion, music and games of the 1980s with nostalgia and extreme fondness.

The 1980s were my teenage years so everything that happened in that decade made a huge impression on me, with tabletop games, the emerging computer game market and the amazing adventure movies the era
Kevin L
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is every bit as gorgeous as the KS showed. The paper quality is especially outstanding. Layout is exceptional and I would consider this the new gold standard for RPGs. I love that at the beginning of each section they list subsection page numbers. It's the best "large" book layout I've seen. I might have tossed a copy of the character sheet in earlier, but now I'm quibbling.

The art is gorgeous and very evocative. Building a vibe with a group by sharing the art would be easy.

The setting
pookie
Tales from your Childhood that never were—A review of Tales from the Loop – Roleplaying in the '80s That Never Was, the award roleplaying game published by Modiphius Entertainment.

Derrick
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully created and well put-together book. System seems simple but fun, and I can't wait to start running it!
Liam
181p "beta" PDF - looking much better, more polished and complete. Can't wait to get my hands on the full release, so much gorgeous artwork and a deceptively simple system.
Shay Dawn
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I know I frequently compare stuff to Stranger Things, but guys, this is also like Stranger Things.

Note: This is a roleplaying book, so our MCs don't have names. They have character sheets. Anyway, I'll introduce you to my world, I'm going to review it as if our game were the book, so you get an idea of what Tales from the Loop is like.

It's the '80s in Sweden.

We have four characters, Kristoffer (the hick), Finn (the troublemaker), Tommy (the rocker) and Leo (the weirdo).

Kristoffer and Leo are
Matthew J.
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most fun and evocative RPG books I've read in a long time, "Tales from the Loop" seems almost tailor made for me. The game mechanics are simple, characters and story take precedence over dice rolling. There's also a way of telling the story, through 'scenes' that I find intriguing, and would very much like to use. I could even see it working in some other games I might run, like "Call of Cthulhu." And the setting is wonderfully weird and nostalgic. The 80s that never was. It feels lik ...more
Garrett
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I backed the Kickstarter for Tales from the Loop on a whim, mainly because the artwork was so beautiful and intriguing. I'm happy to say that Free League has created an RPG just as beautiful and intriguing as the artwork that inspired it.

As others have said, the quality and layout of the book is great. I was expecting to get a digest-size book and instead got something more like a textbook, similar to other, better-known RPGs. Nearly every page has one of those awesome paintings depicting crazy
Jason Vanhee
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple and looks to be fun, although the included adventures are pretty goofy. I want to put together my own Loop location and run a Mystery Landscape for sure.
Alex
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tales from the Loop is my new favorite tabletop RPG. It is the first game I've seen that really masters the mystery genre. Furthermore, it explores the trials of childhood and the early teen years in a way that rivals (but doesn't beat) Monsterhearts 2. Finally, whereas it feels like most media that explores every-day life during the cold war is set in the USA, TftL helps us get a different perspective.

That being said, TftL is not a game for everybody. It will be difficult to play the game witho
John Ronald
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspired by the Science Fiction artwork & storytelling of Simon Stålenhag, this tabletop RPG core rulebook has all the instructions players and GM's alike will need for crafting their own collaborative role playing game sessions set in this fictional 80s that never was. GMs can set the action in either Stålenhag's original location(s) in rural Sweden, west of Stockholm, or else use the alternative American location set in Boulder City, Nevada (near the actual Hoover Dam). Players create twee ...more
Peter Brichs
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Skøn lille rollespils bog. Den giver mig VIRKELIGT mange ideer til rollespil, men igen - den rammer også..den perfekte Stephen King'ske og -Spielberg'ske feel, som jeg elsker så højt.

Et rollespil om børn, der løser mysterier, i en verden hvor 80'erne gik amok teknologisk - men ellers er alting basalt set det samme. Så, du har den kolde krig og Michael Jackson, men du har også kæmpe robotter, flyvende transport og androider.

Børnene bor nær det her kæmpe videnskabs/militærkompleks, hvor alting gå
Krzysztof
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent setting, great art, rules that seem simple but a great support for the narrative. In general, this is a great corebook - but I'm ducking a single star for the weirdly off-theme adventure ideas. The whole book up until they introduce the Four Seasons of Mad Science campaign seems mostly whimsical, light on mature themes and generally unique, different from many other RPGs. But then the suggested scenarios immediately take a dark turn and in general offer mostly serious, sometimes pretty ...more
KingKoopa
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
if you have seen the Netflix series Stranger Things and now you want more? Now you can create your own 80's adventure with the Goonies flair in an alternative world.

This is a pen and paper roleplaying game. In the book there is an adventure to go and the book offers suggestions how to create your own.
Stijn
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gateway into the world of role playing. Great artwork and pleasurable with a good GM.
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun fun fun!
Daniel
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful game concept and world building.
Melinda Smith
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the good fortune to be in a campaign last year -- the setting was nostalgic and joyful, the rules non-intrusive.
Paul
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a first class Rpg system. Simple, easy to run. I'm looking forward to using the system. Especially great if you were a kid in the 80s or if you are a fan of the 80s.
Joel MoNo