Start by marking “Pancakes and Corpses (Peridale Cafe Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Pancakes and Corpses (Peridale Cafe Mystery #1)

Pancakes and Corpses

(Peridale Cafe Mystery #1)

Soon to be divorced Julia South never expected to be caught up in solving a murder, until she discovered the body of her cafe's most awkward customer. With a new smug Detective Inspector in town who underestimates her every move, Julia makes it her mission to discover the real murderer, before her village friends are dragged into the frame, and more bodies are discovered.

A
Published January 22nd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Pancakes and Corpses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pancakes and Corpses

Noriko
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I DNFed this book last year and this is the second time I've read this cozy-mystery.
Happy to say, I liked this book much better than the last time.

The setting and the characters come across a bit cookie-cutter, nothing new nor novel about this book, but I liked it fast-paced and the way the suspect after suspect thrown onto the table. It had me piecing together the information and guessing who the murderer is.
That this book is about solving a double homicide case is also interesting. Double h
TL
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

---
Writing: 2.5 stars
Characters and Plot: 2 stars to 2.5 at times

Look at that cover... it caught my eye and drew me in (plus it made me want those pancakes). The summary sounded like fun so I went for it.

Great concept but sub-par execution for me. All the ingredients were there but the final product lacked that "spark and charm" I was expecting. More telling than showing, I felt like things were being thrown at me but nothing was sticking. Also like I was on a rushed guided tour in some ways.
The
Sabine
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A very nice mystery with just the right little amount of romance to spice things up a bit. An investigation that develops very good over the course of the book and a surprise perp. I am not really not too much of a fan of a main character that only investigates because they want to prove that they are smarter than the police. Other than that a very nice start to a new series.
Berit☀️✨
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, audiobooks
Decent book, terrible narration....
After reading/listening to this book I decided I would include my thoughts on the narrator in my reviews, because they really can make or break the book.... this book really wasn’t bad, it was a good start to a series.... The characters were likable (although I need a little more quirky from those secondary characters) the mystery was good and kept me guessing.... and I would listen/read another book in the series if there was a different narrator...
*** narrato
Brandon Witt
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Literal delicious perfection! Exactly what my soul needed at this moment!
Amy
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pancakes and Corpses

I was a little nervous about reading this book, I don't read mystery books but I love the author and knew the author would do it justice. And I loved this book!! Julia is a baker having moved back to her small town. The town gets all the local gossip around faster than you can bake a cake! Then a murder of the towns biggest pain was committed but who did it?? The adventures of Julia trying to figure it out, the good looking detective trying to keep Julia out of the way always
Mahoghani 23
These cozy murder series books are funny, devilishly schematic and good to read on a chill November evening with a glass of red wine.

Two murders, a mother & son; who could have done it? A new Detective on the scene and he seems pretty capable but has just arrived and doesn’t appear to be too friendly. It’s mayhem in a small town and the cafe owner, Julia, will find the clues to announce who the killer is.

Simple read, romantic innuendos, nosy neighbors, blackmail and murder. An enjoyable rea
Bonnie Dale Keck
Mar 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-cozies
Kindle Unlimited, this was supposed to be a Brit character. not bloody likely. Also such things as asking questions, as a police office, for clarification of facts, is not 'twisting her words'. You are also not the only witness, when you really didn't witness much of anything. Does anyone need a fashion rundown on what clothing everyone is wearing. It's right up there with the almost incessant rambling nonsensical food talk. Nothing has much of anything to do with anything such as the murder. Wh ...more
Robert
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After establishing himself in the M/M romance genre, Ashley John starts again with this cozy mystery - does it work? Absolutely.
With his already clear skills with characters and situations, it's hardly surprising how entertaining this is. The killer is well concealed right up to the reveal - I certainly got it wrong.
I cannot wait for the next one! Well done Ashley - yet another triumph.
Amina
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was some mystery in there! loved it!
Review to come!
Lisa
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love a good Mystery, and that is exactly what you get with Pancakes And Corpses. This book is about a bakery owner named Julia who tries figure out who the murderer is in the small village she lives in. This book keeps you hooked from he beginning. I highly recommend reading his book. I can't wait to see what happens in book 2.
Amy Dufera
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am not a lover of the mystery genre. But when one of my favorite authors decides to dip his toes in the genre with a new series, I had to check it out. And I am so glad I did. It was the perfect small town murder mystery. I loved the small town atmosphere where everyone knows everyone, and everyone has flaws and secrets. It was a great location and led to a charmed feel throughout this story.
The author threw so many little twists and turns at us, as for who the murderer was, that I had no clu
Jessie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute & fun! My first cozy mystery ever & I see more in my reading future.
Karen
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A cozy mystery read
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

The debut work of the new mystery author Agatha Frost (non M/M author) was a cozy and sweet read.

Julia is a charming heroine, she is witty and brave, fierce. :3 I really like how she was involved in the murder and what she did to convict the murderer. :) She never hesitated to reveal the truth and she helped the Detective Inspector Barker Brown who moved recently from the city to the small viliage Peridale, in the n
Cadiva
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a charming little mystery with enough distractions to not make the killer obvious.

The romance is on the periphery of the story and never interferes and in Julia, the author has created a delightful character with enough unique characteristics and flaws to make her a perfect hook on which to sit the narrative.

There's plenty of world building too, I have friends who live in Banbury so these little Cotswold villages are familiar to me and the author wonderfully evoked the feeling of small p
Leda
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cozy mystery indeed! This was a lot of fun to read and I can see this series become an addiction for me. I really enjoyed this story and read it in one sitting. Our MC Julia South was a solid lead and I was immediately drawn to her. I enjoyed the secondary characters as well, especially Detective Inspector Barker Brown and Gran. The quaint village of Peridale was a lovely setting. And the mystery was nicely done. I admit, I guessed wrong on who the killer was. This is going to be a fantastic s ...more
Sam Callaghan
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I used to be an avid mystery genre reader but drifted away when I discovered MM. When I was told one of my favourite MM authors had written this murder mystery I just had to read it.
I was not disappointed. Julia is loveable and her tenacious attitude to finding the murderer is commendable.
Add to the mix the village way of life (everyone knows everyone and everything) and you have a winning combination.
oh and did I forget to mention the very attractive Detective... he'll get a few hearts racing.
I
Linda
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cozy murder mystery is definitely the perfect way to describe this book. While this book is not my usual genre, I was pleasantly surprised & really enjoyed this book. It was well written & kept me guessing till the very end. Julia reminded me of a younger Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote. Looking forward to more of this series.
Sue bowdley
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved murder/mystery books and this one is just perfect....Julia trying to solve a couple of murders to try and prove something to the new detective....I never once guessed who the murderer was...Everything was done and set out just right....I'm really looking forward to the next one.....Agatha Frost has done a really great start to a new series x
QNPoohBear
3.5 stars- It needs recipes!

Julia South has returned to her small village in the Cotswolds after a her husband traded her in for a younger woman. Julia has always loved baking. It's her therapy. Since returning to Peridale she has accomplished her lifelong dream of opening a cafe. Serving up pancakes, mouth-watering cakes, coffee and tea, alongside village gossip, makes Julia happy. Everyone loves Julia and her cakes, except for one nasty reviewer and a new neighbor, Barker Brown. When Julia rea
Carol
The Peridale Cafe is a new venture for Julia
South.
Julia has returned home after living with her
soon to be ex-husband. He packed her bags,
left them on the doorstep and changed the
locks. Julia had always dreamt of opening
her own cafe and decided to move back home
and go for it.
Julie lives with her cat, Mowgli. Julia sister,
Sue and her Aunt Dot live in Peridale.
Julia manages to stumble onto a murder scene.
She is determined to figure out the culprit
before her new neighbor, Detective Inspect
Stacie  Haden
I bought a bunch of these cozies when I NEEDED something light. I'm past that stage, but I still have them in my kindle. While I was grazing through to find the next book to start, I accidentally clicked this one. I'm glad I did. It didn't irritate me like some cozies have done lately, with ridiculous gimmicky characters or boring filler material. I thought I had a dud with the first few chapters, but it then drew me in. I'll continue with this series. I'm not rushing for the next one, as I'm no ...more
Sallyann
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes!!! I loved this book. It gripped me right from the start. This cosy mystery book was right up my street. It was so easy to read, so easy that I was half way through in one sitting and I didn't start it until late in the evening. Julia the lead character is really likeable and the other villagers were so believable too, I live in a village and everyone knows everyone's business just like in this book. I really can't tell you how brilliant it is, I was guessing who done it right up until the b ...more
Marcella
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the debut mystery novel of Agatha Frost.

Julia South returns to Peridale after her soon-to-be ex-husband kicks her out of their London home. She takes this opportunity to follow her dream and open her own cafe. She has always taken solace in baking and she was ready for a new start.

After the murder of a not so well liked resident of Peridale, Julia decides she will be the one to solve this murder. A new Detective Inspector is in town and Julia does not appreciate his dismissive demeanor.
Betsy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Paul
Shelves: review-copy
This story was fun and fast to read. Agatha Frost has written a terrific debut book. The MC Julia (the running thing with Barker and her name was funny!) get into all sorts of situations after finding the town's "mean old lady" murdered. The banter between Julia and Detective Inspector Barker Brown is sharp and well done. I also enjoyed the mystery and following along as Julia worked out who and why the murder(s) took place.

Looking forward to the next in the series!
Beverly Duffy
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a quick and intresting read. I really enjoyed the main character.
Lola
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a promising start of a new series. I found this book by coincidence. I was leaving a review for another cozy I just read add saw this one in the list of "also bought" books on amazon. The pretty cover caught my attention and I decide to give it a try. I am glad I decided to pick this one up, I had some small issues with it, but overall this was just a lot of fun to read and I am eager to continue the series. It fit the kind of read I was in the mood for.

The book follows Julia who recentl
Gail
My first time reading Agatha Frost and I look forward to reading the rest of the series. A quaint cozy mystery that takes place in an English countryside town. Filled with twists and turns. A fast paced and enjoyable read.
  • In Hot Pursuit
  • Murder Between the Pages
  • Morning My Angel (Angel Enterprises, #1)
  • Thin Blue (Thin Blue Line, #1)
  • Survival of the Fritters (Deputy Donut Mystery #1)
  • Bun for Your Life (Bread and Batter Mystery #1)
  • The Quiche and the Dead (Pie Town Mystery #1)
  • Scene of the Grind (A Killer Coffee Mystery, #1)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Tea, Tiramisu, and Tough Guys (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery, #2)
  • Undercover Lovers (Bodyguards Inc. #4)
  • Cinnamon Toasted (Spice Shop Mystery #3)
  • Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
  • Imperial Stout (Trouble Brewing, #1)
  • Kneaded to Death (A Bread Shop Mystery #1)
  • Untouchable (Blake Harte Mysteries #1)
  • Dying for a Taste (A Sally Solari Mystery #1)
  • On the Chopping Block (A Callie's Kitchen Mystery, #1)
Agatha Frost is a lover of all things cozy. She is a crime fiction fanatic and enjoys nothing more than sinking her teeth into a good murder, with a cup of tea and a cat curled up on her knee.

She lives in a quaint village in a sleepy corner of England, which provides more than ample inspiration for her Peridale Cafe Mystery series.

Sign up to the newsletter at www.agathafrost.com

Peridale Cafe Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Lemonade and Lies (Peridale Cafe Mystery #2)
  • Doughnuts and Deception (Peridale Cafe Mystery #3)
  • Chocolate Cake and Chaos (Peridale Cafe Mystery #4)
  • Shortbread and Sorrow (Peridale Cafe Mystery #5)
  • Espresso and Evil (Peridale Cafe Mystery #6)
  • Macarons and Mayhem (Peridale Cafe Mystery #7)
  • Fruit Cake and Fear (Peridale Cafe Mystery #8)
  • Birthday Cake and Bodies (Peridale Cafe Mystery #9)
  • Gingerbread and Ghosts (Peridale Cafe Mystery #10)
  • Cupcakes and Casualties (Peridale Cafe Mystery #11)
“her realise she wasn’t just grateful for baking” 0 likes