Start by marking “Princess Ahira” as Want to Read:
Princess Ahira

Princess Ahira

Once upon a time? Please! What a joke.

Princess Ahira is not your average damsel in distress. She hates being a princess and constantly tries to flee from her mother and her lectures. Pleasantly, her life is shattered on the eve of her sixteenth birthday when she is kidnapped by dragons.

Ahira is selected by a powerful dragon named Azmaveth to be his captive princess, and
Published May 10th 2018 (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Ahira, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Ahira

Start your review of Princess Ahira
Treece
Rollicking YA Fun

This thrilling , original and fresh variation on the fairy tales featuring princesses and dragons will keep you glued to the pages. Delightful, witty, and action packed, Princess Ahira and her Dragon never miss a beat. Another amazing novel by one of best authors of this genre.

Claire Banschbach
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love K.M. Shea's books and this one is no exception. A hilarious story about a princess who gets kidnapped and selected to be a live-in princess to the offbeat dragon, Azmaveth. Ahira is not quite a damsel in distress and is perfectly happy to take care of a dragon's cave, that is, until the annoying steward shows up.
This story will keep you laughing, and turning the pages for more. Highly recommended to anyone who likes fairy tales with a twist, and strong female characters.
Manny
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE A HUMAN SPELL-CHECK OR A GRAMMAR NAZI (its' self published and yah... even i noticed some spelling errors.)

That being said, i thoroughly liked this book. It was fun, clean, and more than that, it was interesting. Some will compare it to "Dealing with Dragons" by Patricia C. Wrede, but i respectfully disagree. The only thing these two books have in common is, Princesses, Dragons, annoying Wizards, and a cave. If you can take those few things and say it's a copy,
Alison
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I hate the idea of giving anything by K.M. Shea such a low rating! I adore her as an author. Having just finished all of the fairy tale books out, I jumped back to try reading some of her standalone works. Unfortunately, it was obvious that this was one of her earlier works. I could see in it the embers of the witty, mystery filled, self-aware books that I adore. However, she had not gotten the formula down yet. The twists in the story were telegraphed so much that I spent much of the story ...more
Gena
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, keepers
Over the top fun. I couldn't stop laughing at one point. Silly plot line but it works.
Mary Giancola
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love K.M. Shea’s books. Fun and lighthearted.
April
4.5 Stars
By the end of chapter 3 Shea had me hooked. For those looking for a lighthearted and humorous tale this is sure to delight! Sure there are some predictable parts, a few cheesy ones too, but I loved how it poked fun and threw a few twists in on some traditional fairytale traditions. It truly was a fun read and had me laughing out loud a few times; it definitely had me grinning.

I will note that there are several editing errors. One big one where the wrong name is used, but otherwise
C.M.
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OMG, this was just what the doctor ordered! This book was the first time I was exposed to K.M. Shea's writing. When I first got this book years ago the cover and description were very different. It didn't really look like much going in, but I was in need of a light read after a particularly stressful workday.

I couldn't have chosen better.

While reading this book, I laughed so hard that I cried. Family members actually came upstairs to see if I was all right! Ahira and Azmaveth's banter is
Alison
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, silly and easy read that I really enjoyed.

Story follows Princess Ahira who is kidnapped by a dragon on her 16th birthday. She and a few other princesses who were also kidnapped are allocated to dragons. Ahira ends up with Azmaveth a fairly young dragon who is very messy, an inventor and generally not sure what to do with his new pet princess.

I loved both Ahira and Azmaveth and the relationship between them. Ahira likes to think of herself as different to normal princesses. She is quite
Diane
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
If I was 12, I'd probably give this book 4 or 5 stars. It's a cute, clean story with interesting characters and situations. As an adult, unaware that this book should be aimed at young adults, I'd give it 2.5 stars. So I compromised with 3. The story is a bit choppy and some things happen very fast. The dialog is juvenile. Annoying for an adult, but seriously, I would have enjoyed it when I was a LOT younger. That said, I like KM Shea as an author and read her books whenever she releases a new ...more
Melissa
This one worried me a little as it got started. I just finished reading Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede and this book started out so similarly I thought it might be a retelling of that story. I didn't like that story very much but I have so much faith in Shea's writing that I kept reading knowing this would get better and it did!. I loved it, it was so fun to read. She must be an independent author with a friend as an editor, but don't let that put you off reading her books they are fun ...more
Kristen
4.5 Stars

Super fun and cute, could'nt put it down. Light and a perfect read if you are looking for romance, magic and not anything too brain stressing. :o) Wish there would've been a little bit more romance...and I guessed the "mystery" from the get-go, but still enjoyed it. Liked some of the mentions of other fairy-tale princesses like Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. And thought some of the mondern day quips in there were funny.

Moral Note: Some mild fantasy violence, romance clean, language
Tiffany
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I love KM Shea’s writing. In this book, however thought Princess Ahira was annoying and I never like when the heroine says “no” but the hero still is cocky and peruses. The last chapter felt like a novella tacked on after an epilogue; it just seemed it if place. That said, Shea is a great story teller and I enjoyed reading this book.
Coyora Dokusho
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IT'S BEEN DONE! But that doesn't mean I didn't like reading a different interpretation. It was funny and interesting with adorable moments.
Donna
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Men!

It is fun to read about the clueless male species. The way they stumble along trying to impress females can be quite entertaining.
Stellita
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witty, smart, hilarious....This book literally made me laugh out loud. There are some clever moments are were unexpected and refreshing. This is more of a young adult book, but very enjoyable.
Aditi
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the world that was created but I dislikes both main characters. I think it was always supposed to be a romance but I didn't feel any connection between the leads.
Lubinka Dimitrova
I'd say 4,5 stars. A cute little book, lighthearted and sweet. My only objection were those impossible names that I couldn't really imagine how one should pronounce.
Hollie
I really liked this book. the characters were original and loveable. Especially the dragons. I'll definitely read more of this writer's work.
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Amazon

I admit, my main motivation for reading this one was to satisfy both the genre and key word challenges for April. However, I was also excited to read it after the description brought back memories of one of my favorite childhood stories, Patricia C. Wrede's Dealing With Dragons. With nontraditional princesses, intelligent dragons, and a few fairytale throwbacks, I eagerly dove in.

And soon wished I had just re-read Dealing With Dragons.

Princess Ahira may not be Somino's average princess,
Bethany
I always enjoy Kitty's books, they bring a smile to my face and I'm usually chuckling about something. When I started this one it was late at night and I had to make myself put it down because you know I had to go to work in the morning.
I liked Princess Ahira, she was an interesting character, I loved the fact she tended to skip class, and it wasn't so much she went looking for more lessons, such as fighting, horseback, etc, but she was legit playing hooky and wasn't really looking to learn
Lara
So much fun! Can't give it 5 stars, given the number of typos and grammatical errors, but it's still a ton of fun to be had.

I'll admit that Dealing with Dragons is one of my absolute favorites, but that made this rather a double-edged sword. It definitely appeals to the same sense of humor and adventure, but the two stories do start out very similarly. I was a little worried that I was going to get 'Enchanted Forest' Lite. Soon Ahira finds her own path and the story sets out in its own
Cindy
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars I have had this book on my e-reader for months as I had received it free because I follow the author. When I started it, I thought it may be another "I'm not like other princesses" Belle type but she loves to clean and be in the kitchen even if she isn't chef level. I love her no nonsense dealings with her dragon master & how they become friends. The other guys coming around and the unfurling of the world of magic she's now in is so enjoyable to read as she seems to just take ...more
Kendra Parker
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Princess Ahira was an easy read and great fun. Shea has great fun laughing at fairy tales and has done a great job writing from the perspective of someone accustomed to all the things found in fairy tales. The story was well told throughout.

While I had trouble putting down the book because I was enjoying it so much, I did find that it could have used probably one more editing pass to catch spelling and grammar issues. I noticed this enough to drop it down a star.

If you’re looking for a funny
Tonileg
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, kindle, fantasy
Fantasy medieval romance with a dragon kidnapping a Princess that his guidebook has not prepared because this is not the usual kind of princess. I liked Princess Ahira, she makes lemonade out of her lemon life and even saves herself from a variety of dangers, sure, she makes a mistake with being friends with a selfish jerk, but everyone has made that mistake at least once. I loved the cameos from lots of Grimm fairy tales and once again... this Princess saves herself.
222 pages and kindle freebie
Jenny Koch
I've liked most of the works by this author but this book did nothing for me. I thought the depictions of all the woman in the book (besides the heroine) as either brainless twits or jealous shrews to be surprisingly misogynistic. I suppose that whole "all the other girls might be beautiful but I'm super unique and witty" is more geared towards tweens so I might have been the wrong demographic for this book.
Caitlin
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I give it a 2.5. I enjoyed reading it, although I thought the ending was strange, but it made a good holiday read. The story itself would be a 3.5 but there were SO many typos and grammatical errors. I counted over 15 typos and that didn't include grammatical errors. I usually mark down one star for grammar, but it was so bad that my 2.5 rounded to 2 stars instead of 3.
Michelle
I am usually a big fan of the non traditional princess who ends up working with a dragon, but it constantly reminded me of Wrede's Dealing with Dragons, which executed the concept with more charm. I figured out what Kohath's secret was pretty early on so that was not too much of a surprise and the battle was a little anticlimactic.
Kelly McAnally-Kern
Dragons and Faeries and Goblins OH MY

I knew we would be cheering for our stubborn princess in every way possible. And with magic at every turn, it was hard to cheer for odd purple dragon. Mix a little madness and Mayhem- old school magical beings, princesses waiting to be saved and a whole lotta love and you have the perfect blend for a can’t put down book!
Lisa Whitehead
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastical story about princesses and dragons, but perhaps not how we think they should be!
A delightfully fun story about a princess who would rather be doing anything else and her life once she is snatched by a dragon.
Highly recommend this.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 10, 2016 12:42PM

• A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms Book 5)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • The Revived (Second Age of Retha, #3)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
  • The Queen of Gold and Straw (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #2)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures #2)
  • The Desperate Quest (Second Age of Retha, #2)
  • Queen of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #3)
  • Identity (Kingdom Chronicles, #3)
  • Prince of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #2)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • The Luckless (Second Age of Retha, #1)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.
“Darn kids! That’s it, no dessert after dinner! And if you eat my flowers again it will be an early bed time!” 10 likes
“I stopped only to make dinner because Azmaveth was rolling around on the floor, blocking my progress and claiming he was dying of malnutrition.” 0 likes