Start by marking “Enjoy the Poodle Skirt” as Want to Read:
Enjoy the Poodle Skirt

Enjoy the Poodle Skirt

Rule one: Keep your hands clean.
Rule two: Careful with the food trays.
Rule three: Visit the soda fountain as often as you like, but don’t make yourself sick.
Rule four: Enjoy the poodle skirt.

Canary is excited to spend a whole week helping her newlywed aunt and uncle run a 50’s diner along with her older siblings Rose and Michael. Even the rules for working there are fun!

Bu
Published March 14th 2017 by Toward Home Press

To ask other readers questions about Enjoy the Poodle Skirt, please sign up.
Kate Willis Thanks for asking, Raevyn! I plan to release it in paperback as part of a short story collection in the future. ;)

Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An adorable, highly atmospheric short story. Three homeschooled siblings volunteer to help their uncle and aunt run their '50s-style diner. They stumble onto a mysterious map and set up a clever contest to find the mapmaker. My friend Kate did a great job building the world of the story and setting up its brief plot arc.

I only wish it was longer, because the main character and her siblings are sweet kids; it warms the heart to read about people like them. Maybe she'll bring them back in a longe
Hannah
Fun, retro-feeling short story, set in a diner. Young Canary and her family are pleasant characters, and this is the sort of story the whole family is sure to enjoy.

I’d have preferred a few more descriptions of the people in the story, so they were left a trifle faceless in my imagination, but everything else is well described, and the story comes to a pleasant close.
Angela R. Watts
I love the ice cream shop, it was so sweet and chill! ;) Adorable story and nice message.
Libby May
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cute story by Kate. I think it's awesome that she's publishing her short stories. 👍🏻
Thank you for sharing this one for free Kate. :D
Penny Wood
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, awesome little mystery!
The characters were interesting, the plot was intriguing, and then end was awesome! An awesome read, and it was quick to finish as well!
Bonus: I love Canary's name!!! <33333
Sarah Grace Grzy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This was an adorable short story! So so sweet! I read it in about an hour, so it is not very long, but is such a simple, wonderful story nonetheless. This would make a great read aloud for children, but is still enjoyable for older peeps.
Kate Willis
Mar 17, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: children, mystery
I'm so excited to share my new short story with you! While it is intended mostly for middle-grade readers, I think people of all ages could enjoy it. ;)
Kelsey Bryant
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A cute story told in a writing style with a lot of personality. I wish I could visit this '50s diner and know this delightful family. (Canary's name is adorable!) The little mystery kept me wondering until the end, and I really liked the conclusion . . . the mapmaker is like several people I know. (I can't say more lest I give something away.) Just the fun, atmospheric little story I needed when I read it.
Rebekah Morris
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun short story. Perfect for a quick break in the midst of business. The characters were sweet, the setting–yes, I want to go to that diner. :) The mystery wasn't exciting, but it added a touch of wanting-to-know to the story. My only complaint? It was short. :)
Gabriellyn
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another sweet little story! I'll have my Addy-aka little sister-read this sometime, she'll like it a lot!
Mary
"Enjoy the Poodle Skirt" by Kate Willis is a delightful short story. It was small enough that I read it in a half hour, but it packed in a lot of sweetess and fun in its short length - especially in the characters and setting. I enjoyed the main character and each of the other characters. The 50's-style diner setting was vivid and charming, and the food made my mouth water. The mystery element was simple yet sweet. The whole story made me smile and gave me a warm feeling of sweetness and old-fas ...more
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 8-18

This is an adorable short story. Its part mystery, part sibling adventure, and one-hundred present fun.

The setting of a 50’s style diner was so much fun! I wanted to visit this place! It actually made me think of a place that I had visited in Fredericksburg, Texas (though this diner sounded even more fun). Reading this will probably make you hungry for a burger and milkshake.

Canary and her siblings are great characters. I love how they work togethe
R.A.
I knew when I first saw the cover I'd like this book!!!!! :D And I really did! I loved how a small mystery was tied throughout, and the vintage stuff!! Ahhh, I loved it! Poodle skirts are my weakness! ;) All those ice cream floats, etc, sounded amazing too!!

So yes, loved this story! <3

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review
J.C.
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet book! I loved every word of it. It was so creatively done! Though I think it definitely could have gone on longer, I also thought it wasn’t a bad length by any stretch. I read it in one sitting, and was swept away by the absolute sweetness. Though intended for middle-grade readers, I could easily see younger (and older!) readers just inhaling this as well. What’s there not to like? The 1950’s theme, the lovable—but realistic—characters, the lighthearted mystery, the subtle Christian ...more
Angie Thompson
Okay, this was super-cute! Just a fun, summery kids' story about a week of vacation and an old-fashioned diner. :) Even the mystery wasn't as much of a we-need-to-solve-this type as just something interesting to wonder about and keep an eye out for. Perfect story for a quick, fun read.
Liz F.
Ahh, this was such a sweet story! :D I really enjoyed reading it and getting to know the characters. I loved the story idea! :)
4 stars! I totally recommend that everyone read it! ;)
C.B. Cook
This was so cute! It was a really fun short story, and it was so sweet! I loved the little bit of mystery and the ending--so great. A lot of short stories that I've read feel kind of rushed, like I needed more time to get to know the characters, but this one worked perfectly. I got to know the characters pretty well, and it was a fun, sweet story (pun not intended). This is the first book I've read by Kate Willis, and I immensely enjoyed the writing style. I look forward to reading more!

*I recei
Mikayla
This was a really fun, cute story. It would be great for six through eleven year old's, but I, as a seventeen year old, enjoyed it to. I wish there was a dinner like that around here, it would be super cool.
Faith
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Title: Enjoy the Poodle Skirt
Written By: Kate Willis
Genre: Christian Children's book
Recommended Ages: Any

Introduction:
I needed something quick to read before bed and remembered this one on my kindle. I decided to try it out and I'm so glad I did.

Characters: 1/1
Each of the characters are quirky in their own way and I think they each fit the time period.

Dialogue: 1/1
Most of the dialogue was the Canary talking and she has a super fun personality. I really liked it.

Plot/storyline: 1/1
The plot was s
Grace
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cute little story with a twang of mystery. 😀
Brices Mice Christian Book Reviews
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-fun
Wow! What a surprise I found in this deliciously, delightful mystery book. Enjoy the Poodle Skirt by Kate Willis is an exceptionally written story for the older elementary age reader.

Willis keeps the flow steady and holds your attention with cute descriptions of the diner and outfits that have to be worn, even to the naming of the embellishment on her skirt. (I wish there was a diner like that around here!) I did get the vintage feel of the place, and felt the enjoyment that the characters were
Bethany
A sweet, enjoyable children's story. My only complaint was that this was a short story, it could easily be enjoyed as a full length book! And I loved it that the restaurant had a 1950's theme!
Kellyn Roth
An adorable short story. Perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth or lovers of old-fashioned diners. Has a fun mystery, too!
E.F.B.
This story was as sweet as the ice cream the characters served. A well-written, quick read, appropriate for all ages.
Erika Mathews
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet fun story with a dash of vintage flair, happy sibling moments, and a fun search.

I wanted to know the story mentioned... and it also struck me as a bit odd that the main character had an unusual name while all of the other characters, including her siblings, had very common names. Nevertheless, this didn’t affect my enjoyment of the story; I’d highly recommend it. Whimsical, light, fun, and happy, Enjoy the Poodle Skirt is just what a story should be.
Olivia
This was such a cute story, and I loved the setting and the characters. Perfect for all ages, and kept me reading to the end (also, a quick read which is great as well). Although I have to say that I got rather hungry reading it. I mean, ice-cream, sundaes, brownies, and more? *sighs*
Eva
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
A sweet little story. The cover is my favorite part, though - SERIOUSLY eye-catching and beautiful.
Serethiel ☽ ✨
Read my original review at: http://merikthorne.blogspot.com/2017/....

Kate Willis's middle-grade short story, Enjoy the Poodle Skirt, is the tale of Canary and her siblings, who have gone to spend the week working at their newlywed aunt's vintage diner. But when an oddly titled map finds its way into Canary's hands, she is determined to find its owner... and solve the mystery that is at large.

My, what a fun, fast-paced, delightful little tale this was! It brought me back to summers in which my be
Allyson
I've been admiring this story's cover for the longest time, and I'm so glad I finally got a chance to read it. The story is just as wonderful and colorful as its cover, as it includes kids working in a '50s style diner, loads of ice cream, and a sweet mystery! Though I could tell the story was written for a younger audience, this twenty-something highly enjoyed reading it on her lunch break! Another well-crafted story by Miss Willis! :)
Kate Willis has been homeschooled her whole life in a loving family that values the Gospel of Jesus Christ, creativity, and thoughtful conversations. She is inspired by red shoes, a good story, little children, and chai tea. It is her desire to serve God in the home having a family of her own in the future. She is the author of The Treasure Hunt, The Twin Arrows, Kiera, and two short stories Enjoy ...more
“Moments later as we crossed the road to the 50’s diner, I recited the restaurant rules in my head one more time.

Rule one: Keep your hands clean.
Rule two: Careful with the food trays.
Rule four: Enjoy the poodle skirt.”
2 likes
“That morning all of us girls had put our hair in high vintage-like ponytails, and Aunt Julie joked that we could almost be triplets. I laughed but knew that since my hair was so straight no one would ever confuse Rose and I.” 1 likes