Start by marking “An Inconvenient Romance” as Want to Read:
An Inconvenient Romance

An Inconvenient Romance

The countryside of England provided an idyllic backdrop for Charles Brumley's and Leah Hasting's childhood. Neighbors and best friends, the pair passed many happy days racing through the rolling hills of Derbyshire. Everything was perfect—until Charles ruined it all and abandoned Leah for university.

Six years later, the former friends are thrust into each other's paths on
224 pages
Published February 2017 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about An Inconvenient Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Inconvenient Romance

Start your review of An Inconvenient Romance
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I loved the Regency setting in this friends-to-romance story! Charles and Leah are so informal with each other as youth, there was a real contrast to how polite and civilized they must act around each other as adults. All the fun parts of their relationship are shown in the prologue when they are young, but the majority of the story is full of hurt feelings, misunderstandings, lack of communication, and heartache. Even with all the angst, there is an underlying tone of hope and perseverance that ...more
Katie W
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leah and Charles grew up together, but when he decides to leave and go to University, her dreams are shattered. Years later, they're reunited and it's not as easy to take their crushes to a higher level, since so many things get in the way to prevent true love from happening.

First of all, this Regency romance is unique in that it's told in alternating first person points-of-view. Each chapter switches between Leah and Charles. I really enjoyed getting into these characters heads, and
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Regency is such a fun genre and the English countryside always makes for a beautiful backdrop. This book revolves around Charles and Leah, childhood friends with the spark of something more. I enjoyed the alternating points of view which helped me form a stronger bond between both characters. It was fun to see both sides of the story and made me a champion to both Charles and Leah.

In the beginning I thought the characters acted much younger than their supposed ages. I wish I would h
Julie Carpenter
I was pretty excited about reading this one. It has a fun beginning where the reader catches a glimpse of the relationship between Leah and Charles when they are younger. Best of friends, full of mischief, fun and carefree moments. I really enjoyed that initial glimpse into their relationship as well as the little snippets of memories throughout the novel.

I couldn't quite figure out how old they were and the book doesn't quite tell us right away. It feels like Leah is 10 or so and Ch
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This is a thoroughly enjoyable Regency romance. The writing style is a little different from the Regency books I usually read. The chapters are short and told from both Leah and Charles POV's. As a reader we are immediatley rewarded with the other characters thoughts and feelings. It was refreshing and felt "real time". There wasn't a lot of past tense rehashing of plot points. There were flashbacks to previous events that revealed piece by piece the history of the characters.

There i
Kathy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Very much enjoyed this story but oh so many misunderstanding! Told in alternating points of view there were times I was frustrated with these characters and how stubborn they were and by how drawn out the conflicts were. That said this story sucked me in and kept me reading late into the night until I finished.
content: squeaky clean
Amy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charlon Linton's debut novel 'An Inconvenient Romance' is delightful! It's easy to see that Jane Austen has a heavy influence on this author. We see plenty of spunky 'Elizabeth Bennet' in the heroine, Miss Leah Hastings. Leaving out the usual titles we see in most Regency novels today, it has the familiar feel of Austen's work, without the classical writing style. That is where the comparisons end. Fresh new story, in which we find childhood best friends Mr Charles Brumley & Leah inevitably ...more
Kirsi Johnson
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Ms. Linton and it won't be the last. While I was at times frustrated with the heroine's inability to confide in anyone around her, the story ultimately culminates in a happy ending built on forgiveness, the need for open communication, and, of course, true love.
Camille
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency-romance
I really wanted to like this book, especially as my favorite romance trope is when best friends fall in love, but unfortunately, I was quite underwhelmed with An Inconvenient Romance. I never really connected with any of the characters, including our hero and heroine, despite experiencing the story from both their perspectives. In addition, the melodramatic plot revolved around miscommunication issues, misunderstandings, and false assumptions, all of which are some of my least favorite types of conflict ...more
Tori (Book Chick)
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute, enjoyable story. The switching back and forth between points of view kind of bugged me because it happened every chapter. But I still enjoyed the story.
Shauna
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a GREAT book! I LOVE regency romances! Emotions are OH. SO. REAL. And sometimes they conflict and get in the way of each other-- especially when it comes to love! PERFECT read for February!
Chesney
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
First off I bought this book just on the cover and description. A friend had also had it on her to read list so I thought why not. I was hooked from the first chapter. Leah and Charles are meant to be together and when a secret could ruin everything she stays away from him despite her feelings. My heart just went out to Charles he being such the gentleman to Leah despite their relationship. Great characters all around and a story to keep you wanting to know how it ends. Great job to the author.
Lucinda
Feb 16, 2018 added it
Shelves: cnf
Can't get into it. Not going to finish. Both main characters have 1st person POV and you can't distinguish the voices.
Sara
Feb 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had a very hard time reading this book and at first, I thought my problem was the characters or their reasoning, but that wasn't the problem. (Well, both were part of the problem, but I could have forgiven either or both) I like regency stories and romance stories, and I don't expect perfection of either period or characters, as I am reading them for fun.

My problem with this story was the writing/editing. Strange word choices distracted me throughout. I kept wishing someone had taken the thes
Heidi
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

While the writing of this book was a smidgen over the top, with some awkward phrasing here and there, I can honestly say that I enjoyed the story. Leah and Charles are both appealing characters and it was interesting seeing things from both points of view. I enjoyed following along as Leah and Charles struggled to deal with their changing relationship. I have to admit though that I was seriously irritated with Mrs. Ansley and her interference with Charles and Leah's relationship. And both Leah a
Jill
Feb 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
The beginning held promise....but it was not to be. The main characters acted like teenagers and the 'conflict' of why they couldn't be together was ridiculous. I don't generally look for the bad in a romance book - but there are so many better written ones than this. I honestly am surprised it was published in paperback form. (I guess I expect less from eBooks).
Patti
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by author Chalon Linton. I liked one of her short stories which made my check out her longer books. Not sure, but this may be her first published book and I liked it.

Young Leah Hastings and her neighbor, Charles Brumley, spent many wonderful years as best friends. Charles ended up going to Cambridge and the separation was difficult for both. Leah was two years younger but the bond had been forged tight.

However, as time sometimes treats close relation
Charissa
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, regency
Leah and Charles have been childhood friends forever, but when Charles leaves for Cambridge for six years, Leah feels abandoned and tries to protect her heart by moving on from her childhood ‘crush.’ But when Charles hears that a certain army captain is paying her specific attention, he races home to proclaim his love and devotion for her. But it might be too late. I really loved this book. It’s told from the point of view of both Leah and Charles and really tugged at my heart. The characterizat ...more
Susan K
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romance, clean
Leah and Charles' romance, was heartfelt, had some interesting twists and turns, and a lovely resolution. More of a 3.5 for me as a reader. They had their misunderstandings, hurts, and of course, impediments. It was a lovely friendship, that had developed into much more for both of them. Of course, they had to open up to each other to find this out. I always love a romance with genuine, honest hearts. They were lovely friends, and their attraction was so genuine, real, and ve
Anita
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I spent such a lovely afternoon transported back in time to arranged marriages, titles and propriety. I enjoyed that it was told in alternating chapter of each character. It honestly is fun to see the perspective of both characters and this was a refreshing way to do it.
This is a new author. I'm impressed with her first novel. There were a few minor confusing things that tripped up the story a little, but I still felt it a worthy read. Can't wait to read more from this author.

R
Tessa
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was the perfect equation for a regency romance. A beautiful girl, a handsome man, an annoying mother, some trials and tribulations, and a wonderful touch of romance. An absolute joy to read.
Lauren
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars! I rounded up my stars because it’s a fast read and I was entertained! Sweet story of love and a whole bunch of miscommunication and misconceptions. I always enjoy a quick regency romance story.
Teri Donaldson
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this sweet Regency romance of Charles and Leah. Growing up friends, they find things are much more complicated as adults.
It was fun reading a book that switched between Charles and Leah's thoughts, feelings and story. I truly wanted to put both of them in a room and tell them to be completely honest with each other. The misunderstandings Leah's fear of the gossip of another almost destroyed their chance at happiness.
Ms. Linton delivered a charming book for her debut.
Terressa
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the wit between characters. There were a few times I wanted to shout "communicate!" So many misunderstandings and yet isn't that how life is sometimes? Wonderful novel.
Rachel
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It sucked me in from the beginning and I didn't want to put it down. It was very well written and I loved the characters and the witty remarks woven throughout. I would definitely recommend it and look forward to more books by this author!
Momof5boys
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
a clean romance set in the Regency era.
Toni
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story. Fun characters, great setting, interesting twists and turns and a great ending. Gotta love regency!
Marian
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a fun romance...the writing is engaging. Starting reading it in the afternoon and could not put it down. Finished it in the early morning hours. It was about as good as Edenbrook.
Rachel Di
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Cute book! I loved this story. It caught my interest from the beginning. Definitely a clean read with a great moral to the story. I will definitely be looking for more from this author.
Laurel Dexheimer
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was cheesy, but i loved that it was clean and interesting and kept me reading and wanting more!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 17, 2017 06:36PM

• The Earl's Betrothal
  • Summer House Party
  • Mischief and Manors
  • Havencross
  • Lady Helen Finds Her Song
  • To Suit a Suitor
  • Loving Lieutenant Lancaster (The Lancaster Family, #4)
  • The Heir of Brownlie Manor
  • The Vicar's Daughter
  • Courting Carrie in Wonderland
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Mail Order Bride Collection
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: All Regency Collection
  • Petticoat Spy
  • Searching for Irene
Chalon Linton was first introduced to Jane Austen by a dear friend and now she can’t get enough of handsome men in tailcoats. Her intrigue in the genre stems from a nostalgic longing for manners, wit, and true love. Fortunately, Chalon found her dashing gentleman, married him, and now lives happily ever after in Southern California.