Start by marking “The Fangs of Freelance (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Fangs of Freelance (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #4)

The Fangs of Freelance

(Fred, the Vampire Accountant #4)

When Fred formed his own parahuman clan out of necessity, he understood that it was going to come with new responsibilities. Much as he hoped those tasks would center around extra paperwork and perhaps the occasional mandatory class, enough time around the supernatural has taught him to be ready for anything. Or so he thought.

As a freelance accountant for the Agency, Fred
Published July 25th 2017 by REUTS Publications, LLC.

To ask other readers questions about The Fangs of Freelance, please sign up.

Start your review of The Fangs of Freelance (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #4)
Becky
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Is it possible for Drew Hayes to write a bad book? Nope, don't think so. Still, I think Fred is and always will be my favorite. He's just so darn nerdy!
Mary Catelli
Book 4. More adventures in the life of Fred, the vampire accountant. Spoilers ahead for the earlier books.

And even more accounting than the earlier books. In fact, of the five episodes here, all brush on it.

Neil's birthday party gets interrupted for Fred to get interviewed by the Agency to work as a freelance accountant for them.. (He meets Krystal's ex-fiance. And talks with Albert about the need for undead to grow.) Looking for finances at a castle after the Agents have done their work has com
Annery
Let's hear it for accountants, sweater vests, and people who do the right thing just because it's the right thing!

This is installment is comprised by a series of "adventures" or, as Fred calls them, accounting jobs that come his way, now that he's been approved to do work for The Agency. Each story is entertaining in itself, but also helps to further Fred's journey to fully embracing his station/nature as a vampire and now a clan leader. Some things remain elusive and there are some bittersweet
Wiebke (1book1review)
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was just as enjoyable as the other books in the series. I really like how consistent the quality of the stories are. And the narrative voice of Fred is so soothing and relaxing - at least on audio. As I listened to the audiobook again. I can highly recommend them, so well done!
Kat Lebo
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Fangs of Freelance (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #4)
by Drew Hayes

Awwww. Another fine adventure with Fred, Krystal, Arch, Bubba, Richard, Sally and the King of the West, Gideon.

I love the way Hayes told 5 separate adventures in this one book, all neatly packaged in nicely separated, clearly delineated sections. Just what one would expect from a highly competent accountant -- alive, undead or otherwise.

In Book 4, Fred becomes a freelance asset to the Agency, gets his first assignment for th
Barbara Douglas
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
And ... another winner.
Don't start with this book, though. By this time you really need to know the characters to keep up. Start with The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant.
So, since you've read the rest, all you need to know is that this latest instalment is just as inventive, just as funny and just as .... Fred.
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
Much like all the others so far, this was another enjoyable audiobook. Fred may be a quiet accountant who's better with numbers than people, but he's honest, sincere, caring, introspective, and self-aware, and I love him for it. He's also very loyal and, despite not liking confrontation, will step forward and put himself at risk if it means helping his loved ones. I will say though, I don't know if it was just because I listened to all four books one after the other, but I did ge
Timothy Boyd
This has been a very nice entertaining series to read. Funny throughout with some interesting twists on the supernatural and the undead societies. Great afternoon read to make you laugh and enjoy a good story. Recommended
Tabea Vanessa
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!!! THE CHARACTERS ARE THE BEST!!!!
And the ending? aaaaaaaaahhhhh!!
I am genuinely thinking about reactivating my audible for a month just to listen to the next book!
Fangs for the Fantasy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Being an accountant, even if it is for the paranormal community should pretty much be a danger free calm job. Despite Fred's sweater vests and over all calm demeanor, trouble seems to routinely find him. Fred isn't the bravest vampire in existence but his strong sense of morality and concern for others has earned him friends and allies who are quite powerful. Now that Fred is the leader of his own clan, he has to become even more involved in the lives of his friends.

My constant criticism of this
stormin
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love the books of Fred the Vampire Accountant so much that I always reduce my listening speed from 2x (the usual) to 1.5x (a slow pace for me) just to stretch them out longer. I've tried Drew Hayes's other books with varying success. Super Powereds: Year 1 didn't do it for me, but his RPG/fantasy stuff has (like Second Hand Curses). But my favorite by a wide margin is any book with Fred in it.

They are, for lack of a better word, gentle. Fred, for lack of a better word, is a coward. He's an ac
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

4.5 hearts

Melanie has been listening to these and I just had to try them.  Fortunately, I was able to get the three previous audiobooks in the  Fred, The Vampire Accountant series  at the library. I wasn't completely sure about them after the first book, The Utterly Uninteresting and
Hobart
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader as part of a quick takes post to catch up--emphasizing pithiness, not thoroughness.
---
Fred's move to become a freelance accounting consultant for The Agency really just opens the door for more adventures (as well as for more challenging accounting jobs). It frequently looks like he bit off more than he can chew, but with a little help from his friends... Fred's also dealing with the ramifications of starting his own clan in the last book—a mo
Trevor Sherman
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again Fred has saved the day with a few obscure tax laws. This really is a fantastic series. It is so intelligently written but at the same time completely approachable even for a guy like me that has never actually used an accountant for any reason let alone to keep evil vampires in check. I have reviews for the previous books in this series up on my blog https://thebloggoblin.com/ and might get a more in depth one for this book up soon. ...more
Leslie
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is just a wonderful the characters are like old friends. My only complaint is the book should have been longer.
Rob Cook
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining collection of Fred stories. We listen to these on longer car rides and the entire family is entertained.
Phoebe Roberts
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Y’all, I just love these books. They’re so silly yet they have so much heart and I am obsessed with them!
G Leigh
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read

Just like the other books in this series, it is light hearted, with moments of what being a good friend and person are all about. Even if you're para-human, you can still be a good person.
christopher kishel
This CPA loves CPPAs!

Another fun adventure, but this was more like a series of fun snippets where we got to world build and get some back story for several characters. I love all of Drew's work and this is no exceptions. Hey Drew, here's another 5 star review. Time for a shot!
Melanie
My review and an extended sample of the audiobook are posted at Hotlistens.com.

I’m really excited to be back in the world of Fred, the vampire accountant. This series continues to be a fun series that follows a vampire accountant who doesn’t want to be anything extraordinary, but ends up that way anyway. In this series, each book is a collection of short stories all about Fred. Since each story builds on the previous story, this format works for me.

An Interview at the Agency
So Fred, is interview
Heidi | Paper Safari Book Blog
Fred is moving up in the parahuman world. He not only has his own accounting firm, he now has his own vampire clan, Clan Fred. He also is the freelance accountant for the Agency, the super secret organization that polices the parahuman world and doesn't have a very good reputation with other parahumans. But Fred being Fred he isn't worried about the biases of others he forms his own opinions which is how he wound up dating an agent.

Now that Fred's life isn't as quiet as it once was, and danger
Kelley
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit slow. My fav Fred adventures are those where through his own "boring" behavior, Fred manages to have forged connections or have talent which will get everyone out of the jam. Or the ones where he uses his amazing accounting talent to win the day. Only a couple great moments in this one, but I still recommend it of course because Drew Hayes' writing and Kirby Heybourne's narration (this series is best as audiobook) are great. You will want to go through this one if you're already this far t ...more
Hamda
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
A cute adventure

Another great addition to the Fred series. The book deals more with the characters interactions and circumstances giving them more dimensions.

Unlike the previous books however it's a continuation that depends on you knowing their past and current circumstances so if you haven't read all the books yet then wait before picking it up.

Four stories in this book. I have to say the second one that takes place in an abandoned amusement park was easily my favorite thought the imagery in
Sherry
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Fred, the Vampire Accountant and the all around nicest person you could ever hope to meet. His sire must have been an idiot to think that he could push Fred into being a mass vampire murderer by turning him. This newest book in the series is basically a series of vignettes in Fred's new life working for Agency, which was a tad bit disconcerting at first, but Drew Hayes pulled the stories together well so as a reader I never lost my connection with Fred or his life progression. This series is uni ...more
John
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished listening to the audiobook versions of these books, as narrated by Kirby Heyborne.

As a bookkeeper, RPG geek and fan of urban fantasy, I thoroughly enjoyed these stories and immediately began proselytizing my accountant and geek friends.

Inspired by an often-circulated forum post about wanting to see fewer sparkling vampires and more OCD, counting-obsessed ones, I'd planned to make a vampire accountant Shadowrun character but Fred is far better than what I'd begun building!

These
Anri
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
These are very quick reads. Again, these books feel pretty episodic. I feel they would make a nice web series or something. It would be weirdly relaxing and wholesome. I think this one has the most least-connected stories of the series overall.

This one's divided into 5 parts.
(view spoiler)
Johnny
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book four

Plot: I like how the author takes short episodes in the MC's life and weaves together an entire story. It's not dry or boring. You can feel like you are sitting in a corner watching it all play out. I do feel that the entire story with Quinn was short and rushed. Since this is a selling point in the blurb i feel cheated. Minus 2.5 points.
Characters: I like that the characters feel real. They may not all show up in the story, or only have bit parts most of the time, but when the story fo
Sonja
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you have stumbled across this book and haven't read the first 3, you could read this and enjoy it but you should really stop and start with number 1.

While the first three books build the main cast of characters, this book starts to get into the different relationships Fred has built since becoming a vampire. You get to learn more about different characters, like Amy and Arch, and Quinn comes back. I must confess, I was wondering in books 2 and 3 if he would pop up again and wasn't quite sure
Donny
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the tales of the unassuming vampire Fred. An accountant in life and death.

Drew Hayes' Fred novels are told as a series of loosely tied together short stories. Each leading into the next.

After the events of the last book, Fred begins to come to terms with his new clan situation. He begins his consulting for the Agency, working with clan members on issues in their respective communities and has a nasty encounter with his sire.

I do recommend this series. With the nature of the short story-i
John Perkins
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a little less exciting than other books in the series. The first of the four stories was basically just a job interview, and the third story was a little more of the same. Only the second and fourth had any real supernatural action, but considering these are the "utterly uninteresting and unadventurous tales of Fred, the vampire accountant", we shouldn't really expect more.

As with most of Drew Hayes' novels, it's still a fun romp through an interesting world with well-constructed ch
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: page count on Amazon 2 14 Feb 26, 2018 03:38PM

• Rise of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #3)
  • Monster Burger (24/7 Demon Mart, #2)
  • Two Necromancers, an Army of Golems, and a Demon Lord (The Unconventional Heroes #2)
  • The Graveyard Shift (24/7 Demon Mart, #1)
  • Attempted Vampirism (The Attempted Vampirism, #1)
  • Confessions of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #1)
  • Secrets of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #2)
  • Two Necromancers, a Bureaucrat, and an Elf (The Unconventional Heroes #1)
  • The Rabbit Who Lived (Waldo Rabbit, #4)
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)
  • Critical Failures VIII (Caverns and Creatures Book 8)
  • Holier Than Thou (The Tome of Bill, #4)
  • The Mourning Woods (The Tome of Bill, #3)
  • 7d6 (Caverns and Creatures)
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • Scary Dead Things (The Tome of Bill, #2)
  • Attempted Adventuring (The Attempted Vampirism, #2)
  • Two Necromancers, a Dragon, and a Vampire (The Unconventional Heroes #3)

Fred, the Vampire Accountant (6 books)
  • The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #1)
  • Undeath and Taxes (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #2)
  • Bloody Acquisitions (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #3)
  • Deadly Assessments (Fred, the Vampire Accountant #5)
  • Undeading Bells  (Fred, the Vampire Accountant #6)

News & Interviews

“Though I can’t say I ever had occasion to count bullets. Unless you count bullet points, which you probably shouldn’t.” 0 likes
“How can you say I’m unconcerned with image?” With an exaggerated, sweeping motion, I gestured to my current ensemble. “Can you not see how fashionable this sweater vest is? I’m pretty sure I spotted it in a magazine once.” “Ah yes, magazines, where people without the internet go to learn about last decade’s trends,” Krystal shot back.” 0 likes