Start by marking “The Night Girl” as Want to Read:
The Night Girl

The Night Girl

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  35 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Perpetua Collins works for a real troll.

Well, technically a goblin, and it’s not as bad as it sounds. As the administrative assistant, she provides a “human” face for an employment agency specializing in placements for goblins and trolls. It’s probably the most unusual job she could find in Toronto, but she’s grateful for it, having come to the city with $500 in her pocke
Published September 10th 2019 by REUTS Publications, LLC.

To ask other readers questions about The Night Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Girl

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Night Girl
jenny✨
OH MY GOD. I HAD SO SO MUCH FUN READING THIS.

This is an urban-fantasy love letter to Toronto. This is satire and mystery and a fluffy dash of romance. This is hilarious and heartwarming. This made me fall in love all over again with the city that has indelibly shaped me and my life.

Perpetua Collins moves to Toronto with only $500 in her bra. (I know; I have no idea what she was thinking. That's enough for, like, a day trip!) She's fierce, compassionate, and a more than a little goofy. The city r
Jessica Reads It
“I could use a little magic right now.”

Haven’t we all thought that at least once, twice, or in my case every day! For our MC Perpetua Tallulah Collins (yes, its quite a mouthful), I think the adage “Be careful what you wish for” is quite appropriate. After a row with her mum, Perpetua takes a humongous leap of faith and leaves the only home she’s ever known to try her luck in the big city- Toronto Canada. With $500 tucked away in her bra, because where else would she put it right, she journeys
Daniel Kukwa
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-sf-fantasy
I'm not quite sure how to describe this novel. It starts off feeling like a Hallmark movie-of-the-week, hybridized with a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode. It then goes a bit Moonlighting/Ghostbusters in the romance department...and suddenly explodes into The Matrix with faeries, and then Lord of the Rings set in modern Toronto. It's crazier and sillier and funnier than my description. It's also contains some of the lightest and funkiest prose I've ever read from the pen of James Bow. Although m ...more
Elena Linville
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stars: 4 out of 5

I went into this book not really knowing what to expect. The description on NetGalley seemed appealing enough and the cover art was okay, but the story could have gone either way.

I'm glad that I gave it a chance though, because it turned out a quick and rewarding read. The story itself isn't very original - girl moves into big city to escape her little town life and her overbearing mother, and makes a life for herself. She also discovers a cause worth fighting for, makes a few f
Mel
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The Night Girl by James Bow is a New Adult Fantasy novel set in Toronto Canada.

The main character, Perpetua, has just arrived in the city, and she is determined to prove to her mother that she can make it on her own. With only $500 in her pocket Perpetua is going to have to find a job fast, and this proves easier said than done.

By the time a friendly cab driver (who may or may not have ulterior motives) suggests checking out an employment listing he shows her, Perpetua is feeling pretty despera
Kat
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me - it was an intriguing and exciting read (a rollercoaster indeed) and I tore through it (and would quite like a sequel actually come to think of it)! Moreover, it wove in real-world issues within the fantastical elements of the book: including the marginalisation and othering of minorities, racism, discrimination, basic rights, tolerance, acceptance, assimilation, integration...

I grew to love the characters (Howard is the sweetest troll, you simply have to meet him(view s
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
An interesting story. Not what I was expecting at all, I think YA fans will probably enjoy this, it’s got great characters (I adored Howard so much) deals with issues relevant to today, while the plot could be a touch predictable I still really enjoyed it and it didn’t bother me. It’s a fun, entertaining story and one I definitely recommend

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Suzanne
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful story! We follow Perpetua as she gets to know an underground world where Trolls, Goblins, Faeries and Gargoyles are forced to hide sometimes in plain sight.
It was a fantastic journey through an outsiders perspective.
I love that this book is set in Toronto, Canada. More books set there please!
It is a fun, adventurous ride. I am currently also reading a book on discrimination LGBTQ+ members face in different parts of the world, and while this book has no overt political leanin
Avani Shah
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
The Night Girl by James Bow, a sci-fi fictional written. The author has written many books in this genre. The Night Girl is my first novel by this author. The author's writing style is very lucid and descriptive.

This one's a modern day fairytale with the main protagonist named Perprtua Collins and is set in Toronto. The suspence in this book was maintained till the end, I must say.

The book is a complete package when it comes to twists and turns, romance and modern world sci-fi. You will never se
Nikoleta
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun and enchanting coming of age story...with goblins, trolls, and faeries. Our main character, Perpetua, decides she needs to leave her small Northern Ontario town and move to the big city in Toronto to start her life. As anyone who moves to Toronto with not a lot of money soon finds out...this city is very hard to start your life in. She struggles with finding a job, homelessness, and loneliness. Fortunately a touch of magic helps her out because she has a gift and can see creatures others c ...more
Francisco
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
My first thought when started reading The Night Girl was "Perpetua? Really?" but as soon as I got into the story, all was forgiven.

I loved this book. It's been a while since I read something as original and down to earth as The Night Girl. Sure, I read a lot of HC Sci Fi, horror and try to stay clear of hyped fiction, be it dystopian or romance, you know, Twilight, The Hunger Games, Fifty Shades, all mediocre at best IMHO (an opinion is not a fact).

Fortunately that was not the case with The Nigh
The Picky Bookworm
Jul 07, 2020 is currently reading it
The characters are so relatable, and put together so well! This book was such an easy read! I think I finished it in just a couple days. I couldn't put it down!

First of all, I would read anything this man writes. He writes using every day language, but doesn't do it in a way that makes the reader feel stupid. The book is set in Canada, but the author didn't use any local jargon or slang that a reader wouldn't understand.

I related to Perpetua for the following reasons:

She's independent, and does
Publisher: REUTS Publications
Publication Date: September 8, 2019
Review Date: June 12, 2020

From the blurb:
“Perpetua Collins works for a real troll.
Kylie
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected gem of a story!

I didn’t actually mean to request to read and review this title as I already had many books to read, however, my cat made me jump and I hit the ‘read now’ button and I’m so glad that I did. I loved this book; the characters are endearing (I would be extremely happy to call Howard the troll my friend), while Perpetua is a strong female protagonist, worthy of respect; the world of the Underground City is depicted clearly, so that I can recreate it in my mind; plu
Steph Hanlon
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an e-arc in exchange for an honest review!

The Night Girl is a wonderful urban fantasy which creates unique and compelling characters set in a new and exciting world which allows the reader to fall in love with a magical Toronto. The characters are, despite their fantastical nature, incredibly relatable - especially our protagonist Perpetual who works in employment for trolls and goblins.

The writing style is enjoyable and the pacing a
Nushki
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
** received from netgalley in exchange for a fair review **

I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book. But it was called Pratchett-esque so I wanted to give it a try.

Let me just start off saying that this is not any way similar to Terry Pratchett's books. It lacks the wit, smarts and complexities of a Discworld book. Instead we have a trope-filled quick read.

Our protagonist, Perpetua (seriously?) arrives in Toronto with a measly $500 in her bra. Perpetua is not a smart cookie (as showcas
Sarah Z
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this. It was really cute but also had a really serious message on how people (or trolls, goblins, or elves) should treat one another. It’s a quirky romance novel which includes a fight for equality and justice. I love that it takes place in Toronto because I know where everything is that the Author is referring to; especially after working in and using the PATH For 7 years.
Very cool, ve
Shauna
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story had some unexpected twists. Perpetua had no idea what she was in for when she stepped off the bus in Toronto but she was bold and determined. She refuses to be intimidated ans hold sher ground when common sense should have told her to run. I love the contrast of her assertiveness against Fergus's sweet, gentle nature. I didn't want to stop reading. I want to read more about this world of goblins, trolls and fairies hiding in plain sight.
Japunkt
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for the cover. Or, to be precise, I bought this book after the owners of the CN Tower tried to regulate the use of a piece of the Toronto skyline. Don't worry, guys! I never thought for a moment that this book might have been affiliated with the CN Tower in any way!

This was a really charming and enjoyable urban fantasy. Highly recommended, and not just for the cover.

(Minor point of interest: James Bow is married to Erin Bow.)
Dee
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Reuts Publications for this eARC

I really enjoyed this book. It was a story that has been told all over the world many times involving humans rather than goblins or trolls. I enjoyed the characters and the friendships that formed throughout the book. The message that the ready is left with is one I found very powerful also
Sara Lawson
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This is a book about racism and discrimination. I was not expecting this.

After a fight with her mother, Perpetua left home and arrived in Toronto with no job, no place to stay, and $500 to her name. A kind cab driver helps her find a job in the city as the receptionist for what appears to be an employment agency. The twist? Her boss is a goblin who finds work for other goblins and trolls.

Yes, Goblins and trolls do exist, and so do faeries, but they have been hiding from humans for the past 3000
baldbookgeek
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great book, well written with interesting world building my full review is here

Catherine Fitzsimmons
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute, fun romp of a story. Not quite an entirely comedic story or an entirely serious one, but one that managed some feels and laughs and entertained throughout.
Melanie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading The Night Girl by James Bow, and boy was I surprised by this book.

Set in Toronto, we follow a young woman named Perpetua who has just arrived in the city with very little money and no friends (or so she thought). But there's a guy in a taxi cab... and a weird hostel for her to stay in... and she eventually finds a job... working in Toronto's underground city... for a goblin. I'll leave it at that, so as not to give too much away. :)

I read this book for one of my book cl
Melissa
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this well written, entertaining urban fantasy. The author brings Toronto alive. Additionally, all the characters - goblins, trolls, fairies- were very "human" and relatable.

The protagonist was not an ass kicking, tough woman but one that found her ability to care about and relate to all species.

I recommend this book to all who enjoy urban paranormal fantasy.

I was given an ARC. I am leaving my honest review.
TBHONEST
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Night Girl is an extremely interesting novel, with engaging characters, an alternate world where supernatural creatures like Troll exist. It's well paced, original and very enjoyable read.
Emma
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for letting me read this book. I really enjoyed this book, the plot and the characters were great and the writing was also great. 4 stars
Anna
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Perpetua Collins is fed up of living in a small town with her mother. She’s decided it’s time she moves out, and heads to Toronto with only 500 pounds in her pocket (bra…). As soon as she gets there peculiar things start happening, she appears to be able to control traffic, and could have sworn that gargoyle moved. But it couldn’t have, could it? Before she knows it she works for a goblin, and learns more than she knew there was to know about the city.

This book is a really fun read but also tou
Jeannie Zelos
Jun 13, 2020
Matt Simpson
Jul 08, 2020

• Ever After
  • Athena's Choice
  • White Ivy
  • Could Be Something Good (Timber Falls #1)
  • The Friend Zone
  • Fangs
  • The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Strange Planet
  • The Bro Code
  • Pizza Girl
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Odessa
  • Sorry I Missed You
  • Machines Like Me
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
I was born in downtown Toronto on April 19, 1972 and lived there until my folks moved up to Kitchener in 1991 so I could attend the University of Waterloo. I’ve lived in Kitchener ever since. I’ve been trained as an urban planner, and I’ve worked as a database manager, web designer, circulation manager, administrative assistant, layout designer and office manager. The one consistent thing about my ...more