Start by marking “Start Again (Start Again #1)” as Want to Read:
Start Again (Start Again #1)

Start Again

(Start Again #1)

One night. One accident. And my life was forever changed.

Determined to leave the memories that haunt me behind, I’m ready to drive across the country in search of a new place to live. But it seems nothing will pull me out of my dark hole.

To ask other readers questions about Start Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start Again

Romazing Reader
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible Heart-Hugs!
Beautiful story that just tore up my heart!! Katie and Ryan's connection and passion is fantastic! Jeesh, I can't stop crying! It's so moving, so heart-breaking, and so beautifully tender! Totally puts me into sobbing fits, makes me laugh, and then plunks me right in the middle of a fun and romantic road trip!
I loved the super hot, funny, and oddly endearing Ryan...He's such a cool dude and Beardy!! Yum!
Kate is so authentic; strong and sweet, but coping with so much emot
Anna
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm very angry!!! Author is misleading in premise!!

First, it's not a safe read!! We've got a detailed sex scene with hero and some woman he met on the street!! ( They had it in some broom's closet of some New Orleans bar!! He knew he went on the street and in second he found some woman to fuck!! Not working for me!!! What a pig, a piece of shit!!!!))))) The heroine found out next day condom package and his shirt was with another woman's parfume.... I don't need this details, please, AUTHORS!! No
Troy Vance
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is pretty classy stuff. As someone who doesn’t normally read romances, I was interested to see if the author could hold my attention throughout when I pretty much know how the plot was going to play out. I’ve got to say; she could and did.
The first thing I liked about this novel is that it is really easy to read. The second thing is that it is really easy to read. No big words, no complexity, just 100% focus on the characters –
Medavis66
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Wow! What an overwhelming rollercoaster ride of a read! I couldn't put this down. The first part startles you and takes you straight to tears. The journey Kate (Katie) goes on is wonderful and enlightening. Ryan was her Prince once upon a time and she discovers that he still may very well be. She loved Eric and Maggie, and she knows she always will. There is no question that if they were alive, they would still be together. Beautiful description of love and family (together since age 12, sigh). ...more
Dianne
She was living her dream life, married to her best friend, a beautiful daughter, and life couldn’t get any better. But it could get worse and for Kate, the night she was called to the emergency room would be the night her life became a living hell on earth. For two years she existed, barely and now it was time to change up her world, to try to start over, anywhere far away from the memories.

Ryan needs room to breathe, he also needs a ride across the country where his work is taking him. The son
Victoria pearce
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started to enjoy this book but then the so called hero after admitting to the heroine that she is special to him then goes and has sex with a whore. Lost all respect for the character. Didn't read anymore.
Love Indie Romance
Reviewed by: Annie Arcane

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

A free copy was provided by the author.

Initial thoughts:

Incredible characters. Fantastic dialogue. Heartwrenching story. Amazing read!

What I loved:

I have a confession to make. This was number 5 on my TBR list. I had (and still have) 4 others to read and review first. Then I made the mistake of opening it…

The feels. OMG, the feels!

This story pulled at my heartstrings from page one and simply refused to let go. I wanted nothing more than to reach i
Susan
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Start Again

J. Saman

I received a copy from the author for an honest review.

Holy cow! START AGAIN just shredded my heart from the very first page. My heart broke for Katie and what she went through. Her husband Eric and her daughter Maggie are tragically killed by a drunk driver and obviously, Katie's life is destroyed. When a story has me in tears in the first chapter, I just know it is going to be like being on an emotional roller coaster and START AGAIN is just that.

J. Saman does a beautiful jo
Coco.V
Oct 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝FREE on Amazon today (5/24/2018)!💝

Blurb:
One night. One accident. And my life was forever changed.

That is until Ryan Grant comes along. His perfect abs, irresistible smirk, and piercing green eyes that seem to see through me are throwing me off balance. A balance I’m desperate to maintain.

One kiss, one touch and I’m g
Tassa DeSalada
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Start Again drew me in from the very beginning. The prologue was really hard for me, as I had been in those exact same shoes. My then three year old son flatlined at the ER with me in the room. However, my experience had a much better ending, and I thank God every day that my son is still with me. But nonetheless, it brought back those lost forgotten feelings and memories. The writing is true in its detail at every level. It was extremely realistic and very hard to read. But that's life. Life IS ...more
Sara
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review (Shut Up and Read group).
Wow this book was awesome! I enjoyed the hell out of it! It made me smile, made me cry, made me snort a laugh, made me hot, made me go "Awww sweet" all over it... it was packed with feeling and emotion.
Kate was a total mess. And depressed to a point of no return. She was strong for keeping the promise not to kill herself while she clearly didn't know how to live without her baby girl and husband. It must be really
Cryss
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.
This was very easy read which I liked. I usually do not like second chance romance or romance with diseased spouse and or children.The author made me want to give more in this section a chance.
Kate the main character was easy to connect with and like. I usually have a hard time relating to most main female characters of romance novels but not this one. I hate perfect characters and both Kate and Ryan had just enough flaws.
The only thin
Davyne DeSye
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
J. Saman has done it again. Wow. This the second book I’ve read by this fantastic contemporary romance author, and I have to say, she just sweeps me away. From the very beginning, I get completely lost in the lives of her characters and forget that I’m reading. And I mean from the very beginning. I was crying (!) by the end of the freakin’ prologue.

Not a good start to a romance, you say? Well… the prologue really did just about kill me. Kate, a wonderfully happy and in love mother of a 2-year-ol
Bonmedo Tambunan
I received free copy of this book for an honest review.

I don't normally read romance. I am more a hardcore fantasy, hack and slash, fast paced magic reader. But reading Start Again was a very nice experience, and I will actually start reading this genre :)

Start Again tells love story of Kate and Ryan. It started out with a tragedy that happened to Kate, which has put her in a traumatized condition. She was trying to leave everything behind, start by driving around the country, In hope to find a
James Sillwood
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Kate Taylor's husband, Eric, and her two-year-old daughter, Maggie, are both killed in a car crash. Two years later Kate is surviving day to day and decides to take off on a road trip in an effort to escape her demons. Her mother suggests taking along her friend's son, Ryan, who's moving to Seattle. Apparantely, Ryan and Kate have met before as children but Kate has no recollection of this. So begins a month long trip from Boston.
Ryan and Kate are both well developed characters. Whilst the chem
Joan Carney
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First let me say I loved every minute of reading this book. Ms. Saman filled it with so many emotions: love, loss, grief, happiness, lust, fear, humor.
A drunk driver sends Kate’s husband and child to the emergency room where she works as a nurse. Her husband is pronounced dead at the scene and her two year old daughter dies in her arms. I thank my lucky stars that I’ve never experienced the loss of a child, but the chapter is written so powerfully, I sobbed for the character’s loss.
Understanda
Maddie Wade
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying J Saman is a new to me author. Start Again had me gripped from the first page. It reeled me in and wouldn't let go. The emotion portrayed by the author is beautiful and heartbreaking. Katie is an extremely lovable character and at times broke my heart. Ryan is a strong handsome bear of a man who is not afraid to show his feelings. You will smile, you will cry and you will fall in love with these two. Start again is story of recovery from heartbreak of the worst kind and f ...more
Amy Vedder
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate has gone through a big struggle after a tragic accident and is still quite scattered after a couple of years. May be a cross country road trip will help. But do things ever turn out the way we want? May be so in this case. May be not. Will she find her dream boy in Ryan, or will he turn into someone she would never like to meet?

J. Saman has nailed it. A beautiful story that I couldn't just put down until I was done.

Elle
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn you, J.Saman...You made me cry within 2 minutes of reading your book, I think that was a record. This book just had every emotion and had my feelings going in every direction but have no fear y'all, I loved the bejesus out of this book. Never mind me in the corner trying to hide my tears from my son who is staring at me like I've lost my mind.

Starting Again is about just that, starting again when you've lost everything familiar to you. Is there happiness or even love after devastation? Thes
K. Kumar
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Start Again is novel about the romance of two characters forced to confront tragedy and attempt to take stock of things and find comfort in each other. Kate is a nurse who suffered a terrible loss while Ryan was involved in a plane accident that makes him weary of flying. Together they take a road trip to explore the United States, from Boston to New Orleans to Vegas and finally Seattle.

I thought Start Again was an interesting and light hearted story with generally positive characters that strug
Marise Ghorayeb
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by admitting that I’m not normally a fan of romance, but the touch of depth and emotion in this story kept me engaged and turning the pages. First of all, from a technical perspective, this is a very clean piece – something hard to find among indy work. I did notice a couple typos, but overall sentence structure, pacing, grammar etc. were nearly perfect. But all that just makes the story readable, what made it good was the real, deep characters, their highly believable interactions, ...more
Matthew Marchitto
Start Again is a phenomenal romance story that also deals heavily with trauma, mental illness, and phobias. The two main characters, Kate and Ryan, are well written and fleshed out. They're both believable as are their motivations, hangups, and desires.

I really loved how J. Saman dealt with mental illness. Without spoiling too much, the characters MI's and phobias are never easily "fixed." Even when things seem to be normal, it's implied that there is ongoing treatment and that the issues are s
Ravenna Young
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride

Here I am, at two in the morning, trying to forget this story, so I can sleep.
What drew me in from page one was the incredible emotion and polished writing. Katies heartache is palpable, and as her relationship with Ryan develops, her grief starts to wane and she lets herself love again. The romance was sweet and sexy as hell. I loved the conversations between all characters--the banter was hilarious at times. This is an emotional story--I sobbed, but also laughed a lot with this rea
B.B. James
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Beautiful romance story and wonderfully paced. I loved Katie and Ryan- gorgeous couple.
This story packs a punch right from the beginning consuming you with the pain and bereavement Kate has to go through. Totally absorbing.
I felt i needed to know Eric more. He was the total contrast to Ryan and respectfully very important to kate and the love of her life.I could picture Maggie and the pain was unbearable. If you have children, nieces, nephews, even grandchildren. This very part will touch a ner
Cecily Wolfe
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started reading this emotional roller coaster of a story, I couldn't stop. From the very first chapter, I was captivated by the empathy I felt for the characters, drawn in by the realistic portrayal of grief and devastation. The romance was hard won, and I was so happy to see these two characters find happiness with each other after all they had been through. Absolutely fantastic book, in every way.
CeCe
I could not finish this one. You may love it. The heroine got on my nerves. I felt the writing was a bit wordy. I do not need to know what you wear, eat, or order. Parts of the story felt like fillers. The writing style did not work for me. I was disappointed since I liked the premise.
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
This is my first book by J Saman and boy! What a book. I loved the twists and uncommunicated, mixed up emotions. The story just flowed along smoothly. I felt a part of their lives. I couldn't put this book down, it was very addictive.

I love their relationship between Abby and Aubrey. They have the 'twin thing' and can communicate with just a look. Xander, Aubrey's best friend, is a complicated creature; so hot and cold…does he love or hate Abby? It's difficult to tell. Men are so hard to read so
Keep Calm Novel On
The Goodreads group Read It & Reap provided a copy of the eBook in exchange for an honest review.

J. Saman’s Contemporary Romance Start Again introduces the reader to Kate’s world. Kate has become paralysed with grief after the loss of her daughter and husband. She somehow wants to escape the pain and decides to take a cross-country road trip. Her mother insists that she travel with a companion. Kate does not remember Ryan as they met as children but agrees to travel with him. The reader will
Kimberlyn Day
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew going into this book that there was a chance my heartstrings would be tugged--but they were pretty close to ripped out.

The other reviews gave me a heads-up, but can you ever really be prepared for a truly talented author? Sometimes I get so used to good writing and good stories that when a great one comes along it's a shock to the system. Refreshing, sure, but my feels have yet to recover lol

There are close to a hundred other reviews to tell what the book is about--along with the author's
Crystal Wilke
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Start Again is a FANTASTIC story. J.Saman is a new author to me. I devoured this book, I couldn't put it down. You know the book is going to be good if your crying during the prologue. Katie and Ryan's story is an emotional story, have some tissues nearby. I loved the chemistry between Katie and Ryan. I didn't want it their story to end. I can't wait to read more of the Start Again series. You'll want to grab a copy of Start Again.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC for this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tank (Moonshine Task Force, #2)
  • The Line Collection (The Line, #1-4)
  • The Ghostwriters
  • Longbourn's Songbird
  • Afternoon
  • Righteous Obsession
  • Mine -Uncut Version (Mine #1)
  • Kansas City Christmas (The Precinct: Brotherhood of the Badge #4; The Precinct #10)
  • Ten Brides for Ten Hot Guys
  • Dreaming With A Broken Heart (Hollywood Legends, #1)
  • The Stepbrother Series: Linc & Raven (Stepbrother, #1-3)
  • Illicit – A Sizzling Boxed Set
  • Talon
  • The Mercury Travel Club
  • Let Me Know (Lost in You, #2)
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence #1)
  • Facebook Jeanie
  • What the Doctor Didn't Tell Her
J. Saman is a USA Today bestselling author who loves all types of novels, but finds herself always going back to writing/reading romances. She's addicted to Diet Coke and sour candy, and swears way too much. She's an admitted lover of second chance romances, love triangles and the perfect amount of angst. She writes smart, strong women and sexy alpha (slightly nerdy) men who have a softer side.

To

Start Again (3 books)
  • Start Over (Start Again #2)
  • Start With Me (Start Again #3)
“Honestly, I don’t know if I have a favorite,” he emphasizes the word. “I like a lot of different music, and find myself listening to different things depending on my mood or where I’m at in my life.” I secretly love that answer. A lot actually.” 0 likes
“Dammit, I’ve missed her lips, her taste, her smell, her touch. I’m dizzy. I’m lost. I’m never coming up for air again. Everything I need to survive is in my arms right now, and I’m never letting go. Ever. “Katie,”I breathe, and she shudders.” 0 likes