Start by marking “The Secret to Falling in Love” as Want to Read:
The Secret to Falling in Love

The Secret to Falling in Love

Status Update: I’m going offline for a while… Wish me luck! xx

Lifestyle journalist and thirty-something singleton Melissa hashtags, Insta's and Snapchats her supposedly fabulous life on every social media platform there is.

That is until she wakes up on her birthday, another year older and still alone, wondering if, for all her internet dates, love really can be found onlin
Published February 9th 2017 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Secret to Falling in Love, please sign up.
Victoria Cooke No, not really. It's more a woman trying to meet the right man for her who happens to meet a few wrong ones first.
Shameless by Lisa Renee JonesProvocative by Lisa Renee JonesRuckus by L.J. ShenPucked Off by Helena HuntingShacking Up by Helena Hunting
Romance Books 2017
561 books — 1,466 voters
The Hating Game by Sally  ThorneWallbanger by Alice Clayton44 Chapters About 4 Men by B.B. EastonThe Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana ZapataLike a Boss by Logan Chance
Best Rom-Com Books
333 books — 599 voters

More lists with this book...

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Go without technology for a month. Give it up; live in simpler times. Think 1980 without the terrible hair and godawful shell suits.

Calm down… Jeez, did the North Koreans design your self-defence system?

The china cups were presented neatly on saucers. I didn’t think I owned a saucer. I didn’t even own matching cups, just random mugs I’d received as gifts over the years sporting classy slogans such as ‘Basic Bitch’.

I rummaged through my bag; I seemed to have everything but that ca
R.K. Gold
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't like a cute book about love?
Okay, I admit when I was reading this the thought did cross my mind that I was not the target demographic, but that thought disappeared the more I got to know Melissa. Actually, I think the thought disappeared the moment Melissa watched the Matrix. So she is more addicted to her phone than most people are to oxygen, this 35-year-old woman's quest for love in the modern world was still something I could get behind and cheer for.

Melissa worked as a journali
Berit☀️✨
Shelves: 2019, arc, blog-tour
A fun lighthearted love story guaranteed to make you smile!

This was an entertaining story all about unplugging and finding love the old-school way... while this was amusing, it also made me feel old, because this is exactly how it was when I was dating... no online dating sites, no apps, no social media, no cell phones... back in the Day we had to go out and meet people, exchange phone numbers on paper, and then*gasp* wait for a phone call on the landline, I know, crazy right!

Melisa is a 35-yea
Zoe
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet, warm, and romantic!

The Secret to Falling in Love is the humorous, heartwarming story of Melissa, an independent, single, thirty-five-year-old whose ready to settle down and have a family, but after online dating proves fruitless and inspiration comes in the form of The Matrix she decides to go entirely unplugged for thirty days to see if love might actually find her offline.

The writing is effortless and light. The characters are intriguing, supportive, and genuine. And the plot is an ench
Karen Whittard
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, Harper Collins uk and Victoria Cooke for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On goodreads.com/karenwhittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

A funny, lighthearted, joy of a book. Exactly what I needed. Simply loved it.

Meet Melissa, a fun loving, thirty something single looking for love. She loves all things social med
Hristina
This was a very easy book to read. The idea behind the book is brilliant, the story is light and fun yet realistic at the same time, and the characters are well-written. Expertly executed. The style of writing was the best feature of this book though, and I look forward to more releases by Victoria Cooke.
Liina
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4,5 stars

Melissa is 35 and she hopes to find love and start a family. She spends a lot of time on social media and also dating apps, but still her love life isn't going that well. On her birthday, she realizes that she's not getting any younger and as her online dates haven't been successful, she decides to go technology free for a month. At first it isn't easy, but as the time goes by she starts to notice things she didn't before and she also happens to meet two handsome men. What will the chal
Yesha
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, humor, chick-lit
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Stars : 4.5 /5

Imagine yourself without technology.
No Phone, no laptop, no tabs (not even Kindle), no emails and social medias.
Life like in 1980 without any fancy gadgets. Pen and paper and postcards.
Honestly it would be fine for us readers, we can still escape in paperbacks and libraries. 😉

The Secret to Falling in Love revolved around Melissa’s life and her life changing challenge of living without phone and internet and finding lov
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start? Well, the first thing I will start anytime I see Victoria Cooke’s name on a book, I want it! Straight off the bat. I absolutely loved the Holiday Cruise and It Started with a Note (review will be up later on this month), I have Who Needs a Man waiting too, so there was NO WAY I was passing up a chance to read this.

I had all the warm and fuzzies with this book and I loved the idea of switching off from technology for a month! Although I can not foresee it being a realistic thing
Kayla
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books, review
Going technology free for a month?!? Sadly, I am not sure I could handle that but I would try. I was definitely not a fan of Melissa's boss, especially after the games she played. A fun read that will get you thinking about disconnecting and wondering what might just happen. A delightful weekend read!
Lisa Mandina
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, this book had some ups and downs for me. I spent the first third of it being annoyed by the main character's whining about being single. Even though she did come right out and say that she'd focused on her career and herself first, but now she just wanted to be with someone, it totally sounded like she was just saying she needed a man to be happy. And I got tired of that. But then, her boss did something and if I was Melissa, I'd have wanted to kill my boss!,

Taking the break from social medi
Gem ~ Bee
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Melissa is single and despite having great friends and her dream job as a feature writer she feels she's hitting a tipping point in life where she's being left behind. Addicted to her social media she becomes disillusioned with the pressures to keep up appearances and online dating and begins to wonder if we spend too much time plugged in. Pushed in to a challenge that stretches her very core way of life she begins to see that there's more to life than swipes and likes; could it be that what you ...more
Amy
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Melissa is 35 years old, addicted to social media, and single with no prospects. When an insightful moment while watching The Matrix leads her to give up technology for a month, she jumps in, facing the question of whether or not in the golden age of technology, does going without bring us closer together or farther apart.
I enjoyed reading about how Mel navigated the dating scene and life with no modern conveniences such as swiping left or right, being able to google your date and text for quick
Jessica
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Melissa hasnt had much luck with men in the past and when she is set the challenge of living a month with no technology, no phone, no social media, it opens up a whole set of doors and she never looks back.

The book is a real eye opener as it shows us how much we all depend on technology, on social media etc.

I LOVE the cover for this book, so bright and eye catching it really makes you want to read the book.

A big 5 Stars from me! This is absoultely fantastic. Hilariously good!
Linda Hill
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mel is about to go social media cold turkey for her job…

The Secret to falling in Love is a super read. I think it may have been the right book at the right moment for me but I had just read some very intense so-called literary books and this one felt like the perfect pick me up palette cleanser – a bit like the sorbet course in a heavy meal! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought Victoria Cooke had the perfect style for what is often called chick-lit, but without the contrived saccharine features tha
Els
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life is a lot easier now. You can almost order anything and it will be delivered on your doorstep. But does that make you any happier and are social media really good for social contact? Or was it better before all those gadgets practically took over our lives?

You can not only find material things, but you can also shop for love online or are you better off meeting the love of your life face to face?

The author takes allows us to follow Melissa, a busy online addict who finds herself suddenly bei
Therese Beharrie
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This book had a fun plot along with really great characters. It's a light-hearted read, though it deals with real emotions and issues, and is the perfect escape for the holidays. I almost can't believe this is Victoria Cooke's first book! Recommended.
Danielle Urban
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Secret to Falling in Love by Victoria Cooke is a novel all women can relate to...I easily read this book. Every page was filled with realities relationship goals and entanglements. Intriguing, exciting, and believable. Sexy men, online dating, set-up dates...The Secret to Falling in Love has it all. I enjoyed reading this romance. Being a single woman of 27-years, the whole emotional rollercoaster of dating was understandable. I knew what it was like to take interest in a man who turned up t ...more
C.L. Ogilvie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilarious read and wonderful characters! Loved Melissa and her adventures/mishaps as she tries to "unplug" from the world. Full review to come!
Karen
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a charming book! I kept regretting how many other things I had going on because it would gave been so easy, otherwise, to just curl up under my blanket and lose myself in Melissa's story. I'm definitely glad that I broke my self-imposed "you already have too much to read" NetGalley ban and requested it. Victoria Cooke will certainly be on my list of must-buy authors now!
Tracy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was easy to read, Melissa was likable and the idea behind the book was intriguing. I could never do the electronics and social media detox Melissa did!
Yvonne
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story that revolves around Melissa, her friends and colleagues, and her love life… or lack of it. How many of us use technology in our everyday lives without even thinking about it? Could you go a month without a computer? Yes? Are you sure? Going without tech of any sort is exactly what Melissa has to do for a month after her boss told her to put her money where her mouth is.

I really do like the idea behind this story, I thought that yes I could go without a pc, phone etc for a month.
Karen Mace
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Could you go social media free for a month?! Not sure I could but this book gives you a glimpse of what life was like before Twitter, Instagram and Facebook as Melissa is challenged by her editor to go 'gadget free' for a month and see how she gets on in the world and write up her experiences! And it's a real eye opener! Just how do you contact people with no phone or email?! And can you look for love in the real world when all the dating seems to be done online now with various apps?!

Melissa i
Stacey
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I do really enjoy Victoria Cooke's novels and I'll be honest and say this was possibly one of my favourites of hers! Her novels are upbeat, funny, entertaining and just draws you in to the storyline and makes you want to continuously read on. I adore the simplistic and colourful cover, the font is pretty and I love that it doesn't give much away but at the same time gives you a bit of an indication as to what the story is about.

At first, I wasn't too sure if I'd enjoy a novel based around social
Laura Reading
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A clever and funny read about finding love in a modern world without using all the technological advantages. As she is turning thirty-five, Melissa is beginning to feel life has passed her by. Her mother is worried that time is running out for Melissa to have a husband and children.
It seems her twenties were not that long ago, but how did her friends (and sister) end up happily settled and with children?
As a journalist, Melissa falls into an assignment that requires her to live as if in the 198
BookLoverBanker
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Elle
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book was funny and fun to read. It's a perfect romantic comedy, with an interesting and very relevant premise. Mel is a likeable character, and you find yourself rooting for her throughout the story.
B.A. Hall
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An insightful contemporary story about a thirty-something career girl looking for love but not finding it until she changed her lifestyle. The variety of men she encounters are totally believable, and Melissa's feelings and reactions are so relatable. I really liked this debut novel, it was a brilliant entertaining read.
Jessica
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~
I received a copy to review for being on the blog tour. My review was on my site on February 9th
~~~~
This was a fun to read chick lit novel! In this day of social media, we are attached to our phones 24-7 and more caught up in it than real life. We miss out on the beautiful everyday things. Now, what would we do if all of a sudden we can’t access ANY social media, internet, and apps? Melissa experiences this not by choice, it’s for
Nikki LeClair
Absolutely loved this story!
It made me laugh and cringe (in the good way!) and swoon and gasp.
I feel like almost everyone out there could relate to Melissa, the main character, and her social media addiction. She was well written, sweet, charming and a bit of a spitfire. You can feel the pressure Melissa puts on herself to get out of her comfort zone, to stop dating losers and find the Right one. You're definitely rooting for her during the entire adventure.
This book was intriguing, insanely c
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Searching for a Silver Lining
  • Summer Loving
  • Rules of Seduction
  • The Art of Unpacking Your Life
  • Plan C: Just in Case
  • Turn a Blind Eye (DI Maya Rahman, #1)
  • The Color of Heaven Boxed Set (Color of Heaven, #1-3)
  • Perfect Match
  • The Good Girlfriend's Guide to Getting Even
  • The Diary of Madison Brown
  • The Killer You Know
  • Then. Now. Always.
  • Skinny Bitch Gets Hitched (Skinny Bitch #2)
  • Dolls Behaving Badly
  • L.A. Woman
  • A Warriner to Rescue Her (The Wild Warriners #2)
  • Best Man
  • A Life Between Us
Victoria Cooke grew up in the city of Manchester before crossing the Pennines in pursuit of her career in education. She now lives in Huddersfield with her husband and two young daughters and when she’s not at home writing by the fire with a cup of coffee in her hand, she loves working out in the gym and travelling. Victoria was first published at the tender age of eight by her classroom teacher w ...more
“. We just need to be careful it doesn’t consume us, that we don’t miss out on life around us.” 0 likes
“It’s about balance and knowing what and who is important to you – remembering to live real life first, complementing that with your online life.” 0 likes