Start by marking “Haunting the Deep (How to Hang a Witch, #2)” as Want to Read:
Haunting the Deep (How to Hang a Witch, #2)

Haunting the Deep

(How to Hang a Witch #2)

The Titanic meets the delicious horror of Ransom Riggs and the sass of Mean Girls in this follow-up to the #1 New York Times bestseller How to Hang a Witch, in which a contemporary teen finds herself a passenger on the famous “ship of dreams”—a story made all the more fascinating because the author’s own relatives survived the doomed voyage.

Samantha Mather knew her family’
Published October 3rd 2017 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Haunting the Deep, please sign up.
Theresa Pollara Yes and no. The story is completely independent of the first book--it is not a further development of a plot line. HOWEVER, there are numerous…moreYes and no. The story is completely independent of the first book--it is not a further development of a plot line. HOWEVER, there are numerous references to the outcome of the first book which are spoilers and will ruin the suspense of the first story.(less)
Andrew Clendening According to the author's twitter, she has an idea for a third book, but there is apparently no deal for one yet. She also stated in the past that she…moreAccording to the author's twitter, she has an idea for a third book, but there is apparently no deal for one yet. She also stated in the past that she has considered a prequel.(less)

Candace Robinson
Okay, so there were aspects I liked better in the first book (like more of Elijah). But, there were aspects I liked better here (like more of the Descendants, especially Alice).

At first, I was like this is odd that the first book could go from the Salem Witch Trials to the Titanic. However, it worked. I’m also not sure if there is going to be another book or if this is it. If there is another book, there needs to be more of Elijah... And then Alice needs her own book!
Whispering Stories
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

I recently read and reviewed ‘How to Hang a Witch‘ and loved it. Soon after finishing it, I realised that there was a sequel and bought it straight away. I did wonder at first where the author was going to take the book, as a girl in Salem has a lot to do with witches, but the Titanic, I wasn’t so sure. However, the story worked perfectly.

Sam Mather is back 6 months after the order in the first book. Whilst having breakfast a young girl appears to her an
Jeff Zentner
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adriana Mather returns to Salem in HAUNTING THE DEEP, with yet another propulsive, intricate mystery. Fans of HOW TO HANG A WITCH will be glad to see that everything Mather did so skillfully in HOW TO HANG A WITCH is even more fully on display here—the pace; the chemistry; the twists; the living, breathing characters. If you're looking for a book that will grab you and keep you turning pages right up until the end, look no further!
Hope (HopelessBookAddict)
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ughhhhhh I liked this but it was somewhat ruined for me due to the love story aspect. It was just annoying. I am salty she did not pick who I liked lol. But other than that it was a great book. Not as good as the first but still good. The character growth was great. Still loved their relationships, the suspense, and the twists.
Suzanne
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Adriana Mather's books so far! I have quickly became a huge fan of hers. She has an amazing family history that she weaves into stories to share with us in these books, and it is just incredibly done. I will admit I found this one a bit more predictable than How to Hang a Witch but even that did not deter me away from loving this book. The author's note at the end was great and inspiring. I can promise you I will continue reading her work and truly hope she weaves more of that family hist ...more
Juli
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Samantha Mather is still trying to recover from events that happened in Salem six months before. She started seeing ghosts, was almost hanged and was betrayed by someone she had once trusted. Her family ties to the Salem Witch Trials caused magic and spirits to become a part of her life. She's hoping that all goes away. But, when she starts seeing victims of the Titanic disaster....ghostly figures dripping sea water....she knows it's not going away.

Haunting the Deep is the second book in the Ho
Madalyn
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this sequel almost as much as the first book! Haunting the Deep draws you in from the start and keeps you turning pages to find out what kind of witchy-ness have Samantha and The Descendants been drawn into this time!? Per Usual though I’m endlessly annoyed by Jaxson no matter the circumstances. I loved having more of the Descendants around as friends and I missed more bits of Elija. All in all another nice fluffy, witchy, paranormal fantasy.

I give Haunting the Deep 4 Stars.
Kali Wallace
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gloriously creepy and fun return to the witchy, haunted world of HOW TO HANG A WITCH--now with more ghosts, more spooky-as-hell magic, more kickass teen girls fighting evil with flair, and terrifying visits to the grandmother of all ghost ships.

Oh, and my ghost boyfriend, obviously. YOU STILL CAN'T HAVE HIM. HE'S MINE.

Seriously, this is such a fun sequel. Perfect continuation of the first book, with more of everything that made that one so fantastic, and the spooks and story and history are w
Kayla
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This sequel was everything. When I was younger my topic at school was The Titanic and I loved learning about it so Titanic mixed with the plot and characters of his book is perfect.
Brenda Ayala
That was just disappointing.

I really enjoyed the first book in the series--it had all the normal schticks you would expect from a YA novel, but it spun them in a way that didn't make it feel overused or over the top. That did not happen in the second book. Instead, all the things that I happily glossed over in the first came back AGAIN and did nothing to further the story.

First: the girl on girl hate. I'm very tired of this. Poor little Samantha is always treated poorly by the girls and it's s
Florie Katherine
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am always concerned when an author writes a sequel to a well loved book (in this case, "How To Hang A Witch"). Often I find second attempts disappointing at best. However, I was more than thrilled with Ms. Mather's second novel. The blend from one storyline/book to another was seamless, and anyone that's tried to write even short stories knows how difficult that can be.
I was thrilled to see a dynamic similar to "The Craft," at least in the beginning, and I spent much of the book imagining one
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
This was one hell of a book! I was completely immersed in the story. Adriana Mather's writing definitely made me feel like I was in the Titanic. I was anxious about Sam and how she's going to get out of this one. I definitely recommend this book if you enjoyed How to Hang a Witch. Actually, this was so much better than the first book. Full review to come in my book blog.

**Huge thanks to the publisher for approving me request to read this book in exchange for an honest review!
Holly
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a heart wrenching second book. Action and adventure on every page. Many unexpected twists and turns. I highly recommend it!
Alaina
First off, I should totally apologize to the person I was going to buddy read this book with because I totally forgot about reading this book and I missed the deadline to add my comments! Just know that I read this book and I loved it!

Okay, so Haunting the Deep follows right where How to Hang a Witch left off. Sam is still trying to recover from what happened during the salem witch trials. However, she can't seem to put the ghosts nor the magic behind her. Oh no, she starts dreaming about the Ti
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*
This book follows Sam from How to Hang a Witch as she is thrown another curve ball. This book introduces new characters and new settings that I appreciated a lot more than the old ones. This follows the tragedy of the Titanic and of course, I was super excited for it. Anything that takes place in the ocean is my own slice of heaven.
I didn't end up liking anybody else besides Sam, SOMEONE we met in book one, and the innocent Titanic pas
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
I was quite interested in reading a good paranormal story and when I came across a book that not only had a paranormal element but it revolved around the Titanic, I knew I had to read it! Haunting the Deep is the second book in the How to Hang a Witch series. This is a series that I would recommend reading in series order. Although the mystery in this book is its own animal there is history between all the characters and events that are referenced that are found in book one, How to Hang a Witch. ...more
Holly
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars****

It was not a surprise to me that I absolutely LOVED this book as much as I loved the first book! The history that goes into this book is fascinating to read about and I really enjoyed being introduced to real life people who were on the titanic and their real life stories. Then you mix in all of the magic, lovable characters, humor, the beauty that is Salem, and THE BEAUTY THAT IS ELIJAH! I have fallen in love with this world and characters so much and I really really hope to have m
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
GUSH SPOILER FREE REVIEW to come on Lair Of Books! (Link is in the bio). So friggin addictive, I need more!

My full review can also be viewed on Lair Of Books:

THE 411..

Haunting the Deep is the follow-up to How to Hang a Witch & so I’ll leave out the Goodreads synopsis for fear of spoilers. In the same manner its predecessor was based on real life historical events, this sequel is centered around the Titanic. A YA Historical Fiction mixed with paranormal
Colleen Houck
I loved this one just as much as the first. I felt like I was right there on the Titanic with the heroine. I could feel the cold in the air and my hands were clenching the rope. I also crave baked goods every time I step into this world. Love that baking neighbor lady. Mmmm eclairs...
Stephanie Ward
4.5 Stars

'Haunting the Deep' is a wonderful second installment in a young adult paranormal series that brings Salem's infamous Witch Trials into the twenty-first century. I've always been incredibly fascinated by the Salem Witch Trials - there's so much interesting history and so many stories surrounding them. With this book, the author included the infamous Titanic tragedy and managed to infuse Salem and its magic with the past in a way that felt believable. After loving the first book, I have
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, ya, paranormal, 2017
Rating: 4.5 stars

A different review originally appeared on We Live and Breathe Books

In this installment, we get to learn some really interesting things about the Titanic. I loved the way Mather wove her family history into How to Hang a Witch, and she did an excellent job once again in this book.

Another win for me was that friendship took center stage in this volume. I have a thing about strong friendship, and am even more elated when they feature female friendships. I really enjoyed this parti
Bethany Towne
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you a reader who seeks out adventure and drama, realistic historical facts and figures, and writing that will create the perfect bookish escape? If the answer to that question is Yes, then Adriana Mather's second book in a two book series should be your next read!

Haunting The Deep is a Must Read for 2017, and to reread for many years to follow. As an accomplished actress, producer, and New York Times best selling author for her first novel, How To Hang A Witch, Adriana Mather has managed to
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked it! How to Hang a Witch is one of my favorite books and when I realized there was going to be a sequel, I was so excited. This book wasn't as good as HTHAW, but it's pretty dang close! I really liked it, even if I did figure out who was behind the spells very early on. It was still quite enjoyable.
Heidi
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four stars: A surprising story that gives a new ghostly take on the Titanic.

Sam is trying to get back to normal after her father almost died, and she was almost hanged by her stepmother. She just wants to be a boring girl. Unfortunately one morning at breakfast, Sam sees a ghostly girl. She does not want to interact with ghosts. Then things get even more weird when she receives a mysterious package supposedly from a distant aunt. In the package is a vintage dress from the turn of the 20th Centu
BookishOwlette
Honestly, this book made me soo happy!

Adriana is one of the few authors who I look forward to reading and thankfully not getting disappointed by. I love how her history is so fascinating and intriguing. It adds to the overall experience of reading her work.  You know that most of it is based on actual real life events that happened.

One thing I was skeptical about was Elijah, If you read the first book, she gave Elijah a happy ending, even though I wasn't really happy about it. However, I did res
Sarah Louise
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first book, How to Hang a Witch, but I stuck it out for the girl gang of witches—my guilty October pleasure. The mystery was lacklustre, sadly. I didn’t necessarily see it coming, but the big reveal behind the magical Titanic whirlwind was too random. This particular character was essentially insignificant in my mind, so my emotional investment in their motive was practically zilch.

The Titanic themed ghost chase was fun, although I still don’t see the appeal for Elijah
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
Better than expected! I really enjoyed the first book so I had to dive right into the second. I was hesitant of how The Titanic would tie into Salem. But it did, and it was well done. I really enjoyed the historical part of the book as well. I learned some new things about The Titanic so that was interesting. The story kept moving, there wasn't really any dull moments. I laughed, I was in shock, there was a nice plot twist! Overall, WELL DONE!

I'm really happy with the growth of the group as wel
Book Outlet
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adriana Mather writes pure perfection - which is not something I say often (or ever)! Her dedication to a realistic historical portrayal is incredible, and I have become so very attached to the characters that I wish they were my friends! Overall, the characters are very believable, the story lines are always INSANELY creepy (in a good way), and the romantic suspense in this book just killed me.

All I need to know is .... there's more of this series coming ASAP, right!?!?
Kate
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, arc
A great sequel to How To Hang a Witch! Loved the way Mather worked in the Titanic plot, and there was definitely more magic and ghosties. Full review will be up on my blog in October.

You don't have to have read the first book, but I recommend that you do!
  • Astray (Gated, #2)
  • Fleischerhaus
  • In Time for Christmas (Out of Time, #10.5)
  • Mercy's Magic (Mercedes Cruz, #1)
  • Splinter
  • The Row
  • Purple Hearts (Front Lines, #3)
  • Against a Brightening Sky (Delia Martin, #3)
  • Wrong in All the Right Ways
  • A Parachute in the Lime Tree
  • The Captain (Griffin Force #2)
  • Trust Me (Find Me, #3)
  • A Brit on the Side (Castle Calder #1)
  • Catastrophe (Sekhmet #1)
  • The Chaos of Now
  • See How They Lie
  • Puzzle Pieces
  • Inside Black Mirror
Adriana Mather is the New York Times bestselling author of How to Hang a Witch, with family roots that go back to Sleepy Hollow, the Salem Witch Trials, and the Titanic. She's also an actor and producer best known for her role in the award-winning Honeyglue. She co-owns Zombot Pictures, a production company that makes feature films. Her first acting scene in a film ever was with Danny Glover, and ...more

How to Hang a Witch (2 books)
  • How to Hang a Witch (How to Hang a Witch, #1)
“...if you come across someone sad and you do not try to make them smile, then you have disgraced your own humanity.” 5 likes
“We always think that history is fact and literature is fiction. But the truth is, they are all stories.” 0 likes