Start by marking “Oh, Say Can You Say? (I Can Read It All by Myself Beginner Books)” as Want to Read:
Oh, Say Can You Say? (I Can Read It All by Myself Beginner Books)

Oh, Say Can You Say? (I Can Read It All by Myself Beginner Books)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  6,146 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
Illus. in full color. A collection of 24 silly verse tongue-twisters. "The usual Dr. Seuss fun shines through."-- "School Library Journal.."
Published October 12th 1979 by Turtleback Books (first published 1979)

Mohsin Maqbool
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OFTEN adults can enjoy reading books meant for children. I loved reading Dr Seuss's "Oh Say Can You Say".
Dr Seuss says on the cover itself
"Oh my brothers!
Oh my sisters!
These are
TERRIBLE TONGUE TWISTERS!"
Mohsin Maqbool says that they are interesting too at the same time.
You will enjoy reading them. And you will be shocked too like the green parrot on the cover. By the way, he should have been on Guinness Book of World Records many years back for being the first parrot to read a book or rather o
Kathryn
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-boys
There was much laughter when I first read this book. The tongue twisters are very difficult for young readers but I had problems trying to keep a consistent rhythm. Just try reading each twister faster than you usualy read and I guarantee you do not make it through to the end without a mistake, at least not on your first run through. This book is a keeper. Luckily, the library gave us two copies, one nested within the other, so I think we will keep one. Not really, but obviously the thought cros ...more
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As He Gobbled The Cakes On His Plate, The Greedy Ape Said As He Ate, The Greener Green Grapes Are, The Kenner Kean Apes Are, To Gobble Green Grape Cakes, There Great!
Ronda Wingo
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tongue-twisters galore. I love it.
Ada Soto
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is EVIL! Pure evil I tell you. And when you get through it without a slip up it feels a bit like winning Minesweeper on advanced.
Milo
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Found it at the second hand store
"I like that there is a chef. He cooks fish."

I got this book at the second hand store. Mama bought it for me because I saw a copy of The Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss in my buddy's car. I really wanted that book. But, this book seemed to have rhymes like The Fox in Socks. Mama thought I would like it. She was right. I really liked the short tongue twisters. Papa read it to me a few times in the car on the way home. Rather than go into the store with Mama, I sat in the car with Papa to read it. That
Shamilah Gillani
I love this book of tongue-twisters by Dr. Seuss because it is so fun to watch students try to say these! Students become engrossed in the book and love trying out new phrases every time. This book teaches students about phonemic awareness and just makes reading fun. Students get to practice phrases with repeated beginning sounds. I may read this with our word of the week and possibly have students come up with their own tongue-twisters as an extension activity.
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of tongue twisters from Dr. Seuss is sure to be loved by kids everywhere as they attempt a tongue twister, yet alone a Dr. Seuss tongue twister with words that don't exist.

The fun bright colors are typical Dr. Seuss along with the usual font and typical characters. Dr. Seuss takes his typical style of writing rhymes to a whole new level with these fun tongue twisters that even I had a difficult time with!
Nayantara
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how many people really appreciate how much of a genius Dr. Seuss was. Yes, he wrote books for children and I love them when I was 6 and 7. But when I pick one now and read it... WOW! He had some really deep ideas within his quirky rhymes! Dr. Seuss is a MUST for all people of all ages. If you can't appreciate his works, there is something really wrong with you. I can think of no other author who can cater to as wide an audience as Dr. Seuss.
Holli
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
My tongue feels like jello and my brain gets a cramp every time I read this to my kids! lol
Christine
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catching up on my Goodreads goal in the local bookstore. Always love Dr. Seuss!
Lakeyshia Mayo
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a tounge twister!! But still made me laugh!!! Dr Seuss is one of my favorite children's author!!
Sadia Mansoor
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The green parrot is asking us. Oh, Say Can You Say?
And I would say.. NO WAAYYYYYYY!!! :D

Those tongue twisters were seriously crazy formations of Dr. Seuss' brilliantly talented mind! I don't know how even in those times he was so intelligent enough to invent new wacky words for every new book that he was planning to write. Hats off to him!
This was again a fun read, though I had problems in reading it quickly but had a laugh trying it :)

Why don't anyone of you try reading this book? https://
Paige M
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tongue twisters. Actually made me laugh.
June
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tongue twister requests
Read this since the copy of Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? that I got inter-library loan was scribbled all over on the pages.

Unfortunately, I had a lot of younger children stay over from lap time, so they were a little young and the class who I gear the program for came late and were stuck in the back, so weren't as involved. However, all the parents got a kick out of it and they were laughing out loud.
Contemplative
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
So much fun to read! Full of silly tongue twisters. My 4yr old had fun trying to keep up with what I was saying. We heard a few of these previously on a Dr. Seuss CD that we checked out from the library. So, we enjoyed hearing them again (this time by mom) in book form. This will be a good book to return to once my 4yr old is reading then she can have a go at it. No doubt with fun and silliness! :)
Samantha
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!!!
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
That was so amazingly fun!!! The last time my tongue had so much fun was the last time I read Fox in Socks out loud. These books cannot be read normally. They MUST be read aloud, no exception. Even if you are reading to no one and there are lots of people present. Such a sheer delight!!! Nothing like a good Dr. Seuss tongue twister to jumpstart the day. =D
Brad Gunnell
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily my favorite Seuss book since my own grade school years. As a former Grade One teacher, this was the Bible of my classroom bookshelf though the twisters had become more recitations than readings. A must-have for your child's collection.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun to read alot because the faster you go, the funnier it is to say--and to hear--gets the nursery crowd giggling...which may not be what you want in a bedtime story but for a couch read it is great
Amber McMinn
This Dr. Seuss book is also aimed for preschoolers. It teaches how to rhyme and talks about many things. It mentions fresh fish, dinosaurs, bed spreaders, ape cakes grape cakes, money, and ducks. The topics it talks about have rhymes to them that follow into other subjects but still stay on track.
Chelsea Merkley
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a former Community Actress and Vocal Performance Major, I found this book to be very intelligent.
It teaches enunciation and diction, while remaining laughable and silly for children's amusement.
My four year old boy loves this book!

-Chelsea Merkley
Meg
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot.
Claudia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a parrot named Hooey reading through a bunch of tongue twisters. This book does not really have a plot, it is basically just a bunch of unrelated tongue twisters on each page. Occasionally the parrot will talk to the audience and say how hard it is to read through the book.
I did not really enjoy this book because it was hard to read through all the tongue twisters. I also did not like how there was hardly a plot, it was basically just a bunch of nonsense statements.
This book
Nicola
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I wanted to diversify the Dr Seuss titles that we read and picked up some more from the library. "Mr Brown Can Moo! Can You?" was easy for me to read and Miss 3 copied some of the words but she got bored before we got to the end. She found 'The Lorax' very slow to start and I had to simplify the text a lot as her attention kept slipping (but I appreciated the environmental message). I thought she might like 'Oh Say Can You Say" but she wasn't too fussed and it wasn't the easiest book for me to r ...more
Person113
Dr. Seuss is awesome! His works practically shaped me as a person, and have definitely had a lasting effect on what I enjoy now. I mean, this book basically feels like Finnegans Wake for kids...which is a pretty odd description, but HEY! this is a pretty odd book! So if a reader writer wishes rightly for raspberry rhymes and lung lasting lung longing laughs lying, lacking lulls, then that reader writer better piper a perfect place packed of puffy puffs puffing puffly-pufully pupping pups! What ...more
Joan
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beginning readers are sure to giggle over the absurd rhyming tongue twisters in this hilarious vocabulary-building book. Grown-ups are encouraged to read these rhymes aloud to their young readers and prepare themselves for non-stop laughter as the youngsters learn that reading can be more fun than they ever imagined.

Highly recommended.
Hailey Forbes
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: poetry
Reading Level: elementary

I didn’t find this book to be very good. I doubt I will have It on my shelf. The story is just all over the place and I feel as if I had no idea what was going on. Although, the story doesn’t flow, the story does teach children about words and that’s important.
Rubi
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 1st time I've read this Dr. Seuss book. I really enjoyed it. I love tongue twisters and had a laugh trying to say these smoothly without stopping. Wasn't successful for half of these let me tell ya haha
I also love the side notes which are meant to encourage the kids if they get frustrated trying. Nice little touch 😊
Marissa Estrada
Dr. Seuss always has funny, weird looking images and rhymes in his books. Although I enjoyed the book, I probably wouldn't read this to small children for the fact that they may not really understand the meaning behind many of the words used. The images are also too small for whole group but maybe one on one with a particular child who really does enjoy Dr. Seuss books.
Brooke Milone
I love this book! It is so amazing to explain science to children with rhymes, so much easier for them to remember! Dr. Seuss explains leaves, flowers, insects, etc. Also, in the book it explains how the plants give off oxygen for the planet, and other important factors about them. It is very educational and the illustrations and bright colors keep the kids interested!
  • The Nose Book
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Sam and the Firefly