Start by marking “The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

The Court of Miracles

(A Court of Miracles #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  4,101 ratings  ·  1,524 reviews
In the violent urban jungle of an alternate 1828 Paris, the French Revolution has failed and the city is divided between merciless royalty and nine underworld criminal guilds, known as the Court of Miracles. Eponine (Nina) Thénardier is a talented cat burglar and member of the Thieves Guild. Nina's life is midnight robberies, avoiding her father's fists, and watching over ...more
Published June 2nd 2020 by Knopf Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Court of Miracles, please sign up.
Arlette Krijgsman Oh, man, there is no real romance but if you think a love triangle is bad you should wait to see what this poses :')…moreOh, man, there is no real romance but if you think a love triangle is bad you should wait to see what this poses :')(less)

·  4,101 ratings  ·  1,524 reviews

Start your review of The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I enjoyed this quite a bit and I can definitely see potential in where this series could be heading. I know that a lot of people go into this book thinking they're going to get Six of Crows, but you're going to be disappointed if you do. Sure there are similarities, but it's quite different in terms of tone and characters. I wasn't huge on the romance, but no surprise there. I did love the setting though and the overall direction of the story has me intrigued as to where things could go. I can't ...more
amy ☂︎
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
me: i won't fall for books that have 'for fans of six of crows' in their description anymore
this book: hey
me:
description
jessica
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
i originally had this at a 4 because its a fun story, easy to read, and was an overall enjoyable reading experience; but after a day or two of thinking, some things are bothering me.

in hindsight, nothing about this feels original. its as if KG took different components from different sources (les mis - character names, the bone season - plot, history - world building) and then put them into one book. i dont see anything unique on these pages.

also, im not very knowledgable about history, which
megs_bookrack
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read

Set in 1828-Paris, hot on the heels of the failed revolution, the city is divided between the royal court and nine criminal guilds.

Our protagonist, Nina Thénardier, is a young member of the Thieves Guild.

Nina has spent her life flying under the radar. A skill that comes in handy as a thief.

After her abusive father sells her older sister to the Master of Flesh, known as the Tiger, Nina desperately wants to save her, but never gets the opportunity.

While living on the streets, Nina gains a new lit
NReads
Jun 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
what's up with courts in ya lately? ...more
☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)
and lo, i am disappointed once more. what a cold, hard world we live in.

it wasn't bad, it's just okay, and somehow that's worse. if it was bad i could take the piss out of it with wild glee. but i can't.

there were a lot of timeskips that seemed jerky and uncoordinated, like me after a few wines, and especially in the first half the narrative didn't seem to flow very well. nina was a good character, pretty well-rounded, but she seemed to get out of scrapes and conflict a bit too easily for my t
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I don't know what I expected going into this, but it wasn't this. While the synopsis referenced la Revolution Française being unsuccessful, I still thought that it'd be a Les Misérables retelling from how it was pitched. That's not really what this was. Rather, it was an alternate historical book with multiple inaccuracies. I didn't find it particularly compelling either way, nor did it
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Oh, I genuinely don't think I've ever been more disappointed in my life. For reference, I'm a huge, huge fan of Les Miserables--own five copies of the book, four different translations, have watched several adaptations, know every word of the musical, and was heavily into the fandom c. 2013, am planning to get a tattoo in Victor Hugo's handwriting, etc, etc. And I was so interested in the premise--Six of Crows is the other thing I'm obsessed with. This book ... ain't it. This book is the opposit ...more
Dannii Elle
I was intrigued to see just how this Les Miserable meets The Jungle Book meets Six of Crows meets Throne of Glass mash up was going to work, but, you know what, I think it pulled it off!

Below the surface of the polished streets of France lies a seething underbelly of crooks, thieves, beggars, and murderers. Despite the anarchic pastimes of those who reside there, guilds organise and lord rules, regulations are abided by, and harsh punishments enacted on those who break their codes of lawless hon
Becca & The Books
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
My favourite part of this book was The Court of Miracles itself, a criminal underworld thriving in 19th Century Paris amidst the June Rebellion. I found the political structure of the Court fascinating and enjoyed the exploration of the individual guilds we saw throughout the course of this novel, my favourite of course, being the assassin's guild.

I thought that the atmosphere was also well done, I enjoyed the glitz and glamour of the court alongside the more seedy and grimy elements of the unde
Joel Rochester
I might read the sequel, but I was expecting so much from this book and I'm sad that it didn't live up to the hype. ...more
Anka
May 04, 2017 marked it as to-read
*sees book that looks interesting*

*sees it's compared to Lies of Locke Lamora and Six of Crows*

*sees it's compared to Throne of Glass*
Faith M ✨
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as potentials
Shelves: upcoming-release
"A diverse fantasy reimagining of Les Misérables and The Jungle Book."

"A Court of Miracles"

...is it a Hunchback retelling also?

And based on the synopsis...where exactly does the Jungle Book come in?
Lucy Langford
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”We are of one blood, thou and I, my sister,
Bound by pack and Law the same,
When hunger or sickness or war shall take you,
I will sing the death song in your name.”

4****

This was incredibly fast paced and a page turner. Set in the times of the a failed revolution along the streets of Paris, this story follows Nina as she goes head to head with the leaders of the criminal underworld in order to protect her sisters.

In the time of a failed revolution, those of the Wretched gather into guilds: thieves
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Rep: French-Algerian mc, Black side characters

CWs: prostitution, violence, self-harm

Galley provided by publisher

Step one if you want to read this book goes thus: ignore what it comps to. It is not like Les Mis (in fact, if you pretend like it isn’t attempting to be a retelling, you’ll probably have a better time of it than I did). It is most definitely not like Six of Crows (if someone could tell me where this comp came from, it would clear a lot up). And the whole Jungle Book asp
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Damn but it feels good to have read a book that was 5 star from beginning to end. THE COURT OF MIRACLES was a page-turner and a half and I am truly sad it is over. I’ve heard all the rumours of Les Miserables and Jungle Book in the same breath as this release and in my opinion, it sits well with these ideas in the background. The execution of this kind of retelling was superb in every way.

Eponine (Nina) but mostly referred to as ‘Black Cat’ was a young novice of the Parisian underworld. She was
Renaissance Kate
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they’ve added a surge of YA novels inspired by one of the French revolutions to their tbr lately? With this book, I was immediately intrigued when its description called it a Les Mis retelling.

Éponine “Nina” Thénardier witnesses her greedy father sell her beloved elder sister, Azelma, to a cruel brothel owner in exchange for a few gold coins. To save Nina from the same fate, Azelma arranges for her to be rescued from their father and swept into the my
Krystal
This book is basically about one small, insignificant girl having all the hot/powerful people at her beck and call. It's freaking ridiculous.

I've not read Les Miserables, but I do know that it's over 1000 pages long, so if this book is supposed to be a retelling of it - with its mere 400 pages - that would explain why it feels so cluttered and chaotic. There are so many characters and plots etc that it leaves no time for actual tension or - most importantly - character development.

Nina has to be
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
Les Misérables, The Jungle Book, and Six of Crows. Sounds promising, but it was so disappointing.

The first Les Misérables retelling I read was Sky Without Stars and I loved it. I was not expecting to love it as much as I did and was very excited to read more Les Misérables retellings, even though I haven't read the original (I googled a summary, sorry). So when I first heard of The Court of Miracles, I was elated.

This is a reimagining of France with a failed French Revolution. Eponine or Nina, o
nuin giliath
"Les Misérables meets Six of Crows meets The Jungle Book."

Oof. That's quite a bizarre yet intriguing combination that has captured the attention of many people. Since so much of the hype around this book is based on these claims, I thought it might be beneficial for potential readers to know a bit more about each of these comparisons. Hopefully that will help with any confusion about what to realistically expect before picking this up.

Les Misérables
Even though it's not an exact retelling, I thin
Chelsea Humphrey
May 05, 2020 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Recommended to Chelsea by: Irina Humphrey
Les Mis meets Six of Crows, so let's give it a go. Buddy read with my sis Irina!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Sara
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars.

There's been a lot of hype surrounding The Court of Miracles. I've seen it advertised for weeks on Twitter and the publishers website - and when this hype was combined with a beautiful, shiny cover and promises of seedy criminal underworlds in a Les Miserables retelling I knew I had to get my greedy little mitts on it.

I will say from the off that this is a loose retelling of Les Miserables, set against the backdrop of a failed French Revo
Ari
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Amazon | Waterstones

Thank you NetGalley and Knopf Books for Young Readers for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

"You must make your enemies your allies.
And if you can't do that, then destroy them.
Them, and all who follow them,
so that fear doesn't come for you when you sleep."

Yes, this, right here! This book is what I crave in fiction: a story full of characters that are neck-deep in troubles, that are wonderfully flawed, that are sometimes absolutely t
✩ Yaz ✩
2 - ⭐️⭐️

The Court of Miracles was one of my most anticipated 2020 releases and I am sad to say that it’s been a disappointment.

• From the very first page I was not hooked. I was waiting for anything that would just click for me but it didn’t. The writing was mediocre and despite some of descriptive words the author used it still felt underwhelming. The pacing was unstable and it felt like there were many time skips that made everything disjointed.

• All along I was asking this question What is th
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Holy cannoli guys. I remember the first time I ever watched Les Misérables on Broadway. It was completely magical and I loved every second of it. Then I dove into the movie, and loved that all over again. Now I get this wonderful and magical book, boy was I hooked from the very beginning. YES, it took me two days to devour it but I fully blame work. For some reason, it kept cutting into my damn reading time.. which I'm not
Kester Grant

INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY!

To celebrate TCOM debuting at #3 on the Sunday Times Bestsellers list I’m giving away:

3 gorgeous Waterstones limited edition gold foiled, sprayed edge UK hardbacks of TCOM.
+ my favourite passages underlined in gold,
+ a signed bookplate
+ an exclusive handwritten author letter full of Miracle Court secrets and hints about the sequel!

quote1

ENTER:
-  on twitter here
- on instagram here
- or by signing up to my newsletter here

GOOD HUNTING BROTHERS
..................................
Charlotte May
Jan 11, 2021 marked it as own-tbr
Ordered online because books make me happy 😊
Elle
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
I’m not sure what this had set out to be, but I don’t think it got there in the end. There was so much clunky plot, all linked together with just the barest whisper of continuity, that I had a hard time taking anything that was happening seriously.

Which is really a disservice to the setting because there’s so much that’s supposed to be taken seriously. There’s sex trafficking and child abuse and death—plenty of the nastier side from Revolutionary France, but the stakes didn’t feel real. Everyth
Abbie | nerdyabbie
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brutal. Full of flawed, fascinating characters. A wild, eventful ride from start to finish.

"In the violent urban jungle of an alternate 1828 Paris, the French Revolution has failed and the city is divided between merciless royalty and nine underworld criminal guilds, known as the Court of Miracles.

Eponine (Nina) Thénardier is a talented cat burglar and member of the Thieves Guild. Nina's life is midnight robberies, avoiding her father's fists, and watching over her naïve adopted sister, Cosette
NAT.orious reads ☾
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
4.5 STARS ★★★★✬
This book is for you if… new books inspired by old classics are not automatically second-class-citizens to you. This book is full of love, action, sneakiness and wit. Do give it a try, please! TW: forced drug addiction, kidnapping, violence, implied r*pe.

Overall.
I remember seeing The Court of Miracles on NetGalley probably sometime earlier this year. I hopped over to Goodreads to check the ratings - which were lousy. Consequently, I never requested it.

Illumicrate sent i
Goodreads Librari...: Book has 3 Goldsboro editions created 4 315 Aug 06, 2020 11:54AM
Illumicrate Group: Day eight: Chapters 35- End 15 60 Jul 23, 2020 02:22AM
Illumicrate Group: Day seven: Chapters 30-34 included 14 44 Jul 23, 2020 12:41AM
Illumicrate Group: Day six: Chapters 25-29 included 13 40 Jul 22, 2020 03:07PM
Illumicrate Group: Day five: Chapters 20-24 included 17 47 Jul 22, 2020 02:08PM
Illumicrate Group: Day four: Chapters 15-19 included 13 38 Jul 22, 2020 12:29AM

• Wanderers
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Me
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • The Golden Cage
  • The Grace Year
  • Mooncakes
  • Neon Birds (Neon Birds, #1)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • One Small Thing
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake, #2)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • The City We Became (Great Cities, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Caged Queen (Iskari, #2)
  • The Christmasaurus
  • Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)
  • Seriously... I'm Kidding
Kester Grant is a British-Mauritian writer of color. She was born in London, grew up between the UK, Democratic Republic of Congo, and the tropical island paradise of Mauritius. As a wanton nomad she and her husband are unsure which country they currently reside in but they can generally be found surrounded by their fiendish pack of cats and dogs.

Kes can be found lurking with intent on kestergran

A Court of Miracles (3 books)
  • Untitled (Court of Miracles, #2)
  • Untitled (Court of Miracles, #3)

Articles featuring this book

“Do not cry for me, I am already dead."
"No, not dead, the dead at least are free.”
11 likes
“He is the hunting song calling through the night.
The broken boy beneath the lash.
It ends where it begins.
It begins with him.”