Start by marking “Snow & Rose” as Want to Read:
Snow & Rose

Snow & Rose

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  1,640 Ratings  ·  467 Reviews
A New York Times bestselling author-illustrator brings readers into the woods to meet two young sisters and a strange bit of magic in this reimagining of the classic but little-known fairy tale "Snow White and Rose Red."

Snow and Rose didn't know they were in a fairy tale. People never do....

Once, they lived in a big house with spectacular gardens and an army of servants.

O
Published October 10th 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Snow & Rose, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Liz Cheshire not a spoiler but what?

Lola
Now, this book is lovely, alright? It has so very darling illustrations inside that actually illustrate what you want to see, not what’s easiest for the illustrator to illustrate.

Rose & Snow are lovely as well. I wouldn’t mind having them as my two daughters in some alternative fantasy universe. They are different from each other, one more responsible than the other, and yet they are both endearing.

I also liked the fairy tale vibe. Of course, this is a fairy tale retelling, so one would exp
Mischenko
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Snow & Rose by Emily Winfield Martin is an enchanting retelling of "Snow-White and Rose-Red". As soon as we saw this at the bookstore we quickly snatched it up. I've always admired retellings and this is one of my favorites.

Snow and Rose are daughters born to a nobleman. Their mother, from a common family, was a painter and sculptor. Their parents loved each other and loved their daughters more than anything. At one point, Snow and Rose had everything they wanted, including a beautiful home
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Snow & Rose (2017) is a charming middle grade level retelling of the Snow-White and Rose-Red fairy tale with illustrations by the author, Emily Winfield Martin. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

description

Rose and Snow are the beloved eleven and nine year old daughters of a nobleman and his commoner wife, a sculptor. Rose has black hair and rosy cheeks, and is patient and gentle; Snow has white-blonde hair and icy blue eyes, and has a wilder and more adventurous personality. They have a
Hannah Greendale
Rose had hair like threads of black silk and cheeks like two red petals and a voice that was gentle and sometimes hard to hear. Snow had hair like white swan down and eyes the color of a winter sky, with a laugh that was sudden and wild.
Furrawn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Snow. Rose. A bear. A questionable gnome. A mushroom. Sisters. A white garden and a red garden. One who dreams and one who thinks. A knitted scarf. A magic librarian. Kindness. Disappearance. Compassion. Kittens.

Beautiful book. Gorgeous lyrical language.
I’ve loved fairy tales all my life. This ranks highly:)
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This beautiful book of Snow & Rose is the reimagined chapter-book version of the lesser-known Grimm fairy tale, “Snow White and Rose Red.” This is one of the tales many children in Europe grow up with and that has been adapted to puppet theater plays and children’s movies overseas many a times.

Once wealthy before their father disappeared, sisters Snow and Rose and their mother now live in a small cottage in the woods. All of them are grieving for their loss and cope with it in different way
Nicole Beaudry
Every once in a while, a book crosses your path exactly when you need it. I have been stressed, exhausted, sick, and patiently carrying around a great memoir with me (James Atlas' Shadow in the Garden). Working in a children's library, lots of beautiful books end up sitting on my desk. When I saw the cover for Snow & Rose, I knew I had to set it aside for myself, maybe for a snowy day off. Snow White & Rose Red has always been one of my very favourite fairy tales, so I had high expectati ...more
Amanda Kratz
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cute charming story for a Middle Grade reader. I made the mistake of thinking it was YA.

There are beautiful watercolor illustrations through out the books that are incredibly sweet. They remind me a bit of Beatrix Potter.

The story feels very much like you are being told a fairy tale. There is no character growth or development and things just happen to the characters. Each chapter is a new encounter with the title characters, Snow & Rose and some unlikely, person, place, object. Pa
Ana
“Snow and Rose didn't know that they were living in a fairy tale - people never do.”

This book is oh-so lovely! The watercolour illustrations are gorgeous, though I would have loved to see more of the characters portrayed inside the story, like the enigmatic librarian, while the decorative little drawings scattered across the pages were a really wonderful touch.

The storytelling cadence of this “Snow White and Rose Red” retelling is a little off, with a quiet, slow-paced start, it feels a bit too
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Note: Top Shelf Text received a copy of this text from Kid Lit Exchange in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own!

I love a good fairytale. When I was in college and working on my own middle grade manuscript, I did a lot of research into the structures, archetypes, and themes of fairytales. After a lifetime of fairytale fanatics, a year of reading research about the original fairytales and writing my own, I feel pretty well-versed in the subject. Snow & Rose is a new middle gr
Kate Willis
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The kids’ section at my library has this “new arrivals” shelf where all the books are facing out so you can see their covers. It’s really dangerous. I’m blaming it for the huge stack of books I took home. :D

The first thing that drew me to this book was the aesthetically pleasing cover. Two sisters, their hair blowing in the wind and the trees creating an inviting circle into the woods. Turns out, this is based on one of my all-time favorite fairy tales, Snow White and Rose Red. <3 As I read,
Miriam
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The illustrations were sweet and I also really liked some of the visual imagery used in the prose. I'm afraid I otherwise found the writing rather dull and the plot poorly paced.
Alli Brooks
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have some unanswered questions... like (view spoiler).

I did really enjoy this though. The atmosphere was exactly what I wanted it to be going into it and I had a delightful time.
Brenda Ayala
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-con-2017
A fairly typical novel with all the trappings you would expect from a fairytale retelling. It’s full of whimsy and hope, and even when there’s dangers lurking it doesn’t feel anything else but light and airy. The sisters’ relationship was sweet and the ending a suitable happy ever after.
ALEXA
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 stars, with bonus .5 for the illustrations! It was definitely a cute spin on the Snow White & Rose Red fairytale I’m familiar with. I really liked the elements the author pulled from the original to incorporate into her story.
Kelly
This book was so sweet and beautiful.

The illustrations were stunning. Since this isn't a finished copy, not all of the art was included or completed, but I actually really loved seeing some of the sketches as well as the finished art. The little embellishments really added to the story and I can tell this will be a gorgeous book in its physical form.

I was a bit skeptical when I read the first third of the book because each chapter seemed a bit disjointed. However, I was impressed by how the auth
milou ☕✨
I didn't really like the story but I adored all the illustrations
Andy Plemmons
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you thought Emily Martin was only a picture book author, think again. She proves on this middle grade novel that she can weave together a cast of characters to tell an enchanting fairytale story. I loved so many characters but especially the librarian who said, "To find out what a story's really about, you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."
Josiphine/Tessa
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
4.5

Absolutely delightful. The illustrations are breathtaking, but the story itself is good too.
Blue
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is most definitely a story within the lives of the characters, a chapter. That does fit fairy-tales, minus the 'happily ever after,' but the beginning summarises the previous life chapter and it is referenced, so I did need to pause at the end for my brain to tidy the end up as this was truely between being a fairytale and being a novel.

I would say this book would be cute as a bedtime story, but might want to avoid it for elementary school grades, then it is of-age for middle grade through
Megan (ReadingRover)
What a wonderful reimagining of a classic fairytale! Reading it felt like being a kid again when you pick your first book that has a bit of magic in it. It was truly enchanting. There was an eerie wood, strange creatures and a mystery to be solved, along with odd people and places. The characters had depth and life in them. All added together it made the perfect story. Not to mention the delicate page illuminations and illustrations throughout.
Novita Raini
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the full review on my blog

I know I have to read this book, because it’s based on my all-time favorite Grimm’s fairytale — Snow-White and Rose-Red. Emily Winfield Martin did a great job in taking the original story, then crafted something new and different but wonderful in its own way.

Snow and Rose gives me something that I feel like missing from many re-imagining books of fairy tales–a classic, airy and delicate charm of classic story and I really love it. It takes me to a magical place th
Charlotte
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, lib17
a very nice retelling of the fairy tale; stuck close to the original, but added characterization and details about the world of forest and cottage that made it pleasing reading.
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

*Review to come!*
blue
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was a beautiful and precious read. It was so magical and adorable.

It’s the story of two sisters whose father gets lost in the woods. They find that the woods are full of all sorts of strange and dangerous things, but also magical and wonderful things. They meet friends along the way and discover odd places and people.

This book also has illustrations that are absolutely stunning. The entire book is beautiful, both inside and out.

4/5 Stars, really really recommend. :)
Maureen
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a child, I loved the story of Snow White and Rose Red. This is such a great retelling of that story, with beautiful illustrations! A fun and enjoyable read.
Alyssa Nelson
Snow & Rose is such a heartbreaking, sweet fairy tale that I don’t even know where to begin. It seems to have hints of many other fairy tales–some haunted woods, a father that never returns, a rich family down on their luck and living in poverty. However, what I loved most about this story is the focus on the sisters and their relationship; they are the best of friends, continuously taking turns comforting and challenging each other, and helping each other to become stronger.

The sisters (and
Carina Olsen
When I saw this gorgeous cover, I could not resist buying this book. I also adore reading middle grade stories, and fairy tales, so this one sounded amazing. And so I couldn't resist reading it when my hardcover has arrived. But oh, I'm so sad to say that I was disappointed. I thought it would be amazing. But it was not.

My biggest issue with this book was the writing. It all sort of felt awkward. I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't connect with the story or the characters. To me, it was written i
Indy
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance digital copy courtesy of NetGalley

What can I say about this absolutely gorgeous book, other than the cover speaks for itself.

Emily Winfield Martin has crafted a beautiful world that is sure to delight young readers and adults alike. I myself am such a huge fan of when authors tackle fairy tales and myths and make them their own. I thought I knew what kind of story this was going to be going in, but I was honestly so surprised. It exceeded all my own expectations of a fairy
Elizabeth Rice
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am so excited to see the finished version of this book and to begin introducing it to as many parents as possible! The illustrations are absolutely stunning, the story is charming, and the writing is delicate and beautiful. It feels like a classic fairytale/folk story, something I have missed a bit in today's book world. After experiencing a family tragedy, the girls and their mother have moved to a cabin in the woods. Mother and children all experience grief differently and in ways that feel ...more
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose SPOILERS 2 3 May 18, 2018 06:42PM
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose SPOILER-FREE 1 1 May 07, 2018 05:54AM
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose 1 1 May 07, 2018 05:47AM
Emily Winfield Martin makes paintings, books, and other things. She is the author and illustrator of Day Dreamers (forthcoming, 2014), Dream Animals (2013), Oddfellow's Orphanage (2012) and The Black Apple's Paper Doll Primer (2010). When she was small, she spent every moment drawing, reading, dressing rabbits in fancy clothes, and having many peculiar daydreams. When she grew up, she began to ill ...more
More about Emily Winfield Martin

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said, 'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader.” 9 likes
“Snow and Rose didn't know that they were living in a fairy tale--people never do.” 3 likes