Start by marking “The Forgotten History of America: Little-Known Conflicts of Lasting Importance From the Earliest Colonists to the Eve of the Revolution” as Want to Read:

This book depicts a continent emerging as both a bloody battleground between Native Americans and Europeans and a place where alien cultures began to mesh. This is the history they left out of the textbooks--thanks to Cormac O'Brien, the forgotten history of America will be forgotten no more.

From the founding of the first permanent European settlement in North America (156
Published October 1st 2008 by Fair Winds Press

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten History of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten History of America

June Baer
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Found the book a little to dry to enjoy reading. Topics covered were interesting.
Todd Stockslager
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Not as good as I'd hoped, O'Brien's history tells the tales of battles on American soil from 1528, as the Spanish conquerors of Mexico first ventured northward into Florida and across the Southwest, through 1763, after the French and Indian war on the doorstep of revolution.

The story of each battle is told in a separate chapter, and O'Brien never weaves together a consistent thread to connect the events. In some of the accounts of events in the New England region, he does suggest that the events
Mike Cook
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with an interest in U.S. history.
Shelves: history-us
This is absolutely one of the best history books I've ever read, bar none. It's like reading the DNA combinations of our ancestors' conflicts that determined how this country of ours turned out to be the way it is. Find out why we don't speak French, and why we're not all Puritans. The pre-Revolution years were much more violent and contentious than I ever imagined. I have two knocks against the author. He overuses the word "slaughtered." One side is always "slaughtering" the other side. There a ...more
Barbara
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. Its font was really small and I thought it was going to be difficult due to that, but it was actually a very quick read.

"The forgotten history" isn't quite accurate. I knew most of the incidents that were covered, although it's been many years since I first read about them. I certainly don't know this period of US history as well as I know the 19th and 20th centuries.

It was mostly the appalling story of the Europeans' racism and mistreatment of Native Americans, with
Paul Lunger
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cormac O'Brien's "The Forgotten History of America: Little Known Conflicts of Lasting Importance from the Earliest Colonists to the Eve of the Revolution" takes us on a 200 year trek across the founding of the colonies in the New World en route to the Revolutionary War. Across not quite 300 pages O'Brien examines 18 different events (some known & some unknown) that changed the course of North American history forever. Each chapter is well done & contains enough information for we the rea ...more
Jeff
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Good collection of lesser-know early North American history. Each chapter is a self-contained episode of history so the book is only unified by the fact that these events took place in NA before the revolution. So if you're looking for a systematic historical treatment of these events this isn't the book for you, and why I couldn't give it five stars.

But the chapters are well written and insightful into not only the events they cover but also the greater context and significance of those events
Craig Patton
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lot of times, studies of American history skips or completely ignores the colonial period with the exception of Plymouth Rock and Jamestown. This is where this book is a great read in that you get a better picture of what America was really like up to the point of the American Revolution.

Many of the histories within this book I was somewhat familiar with but did not have the full understanding on how many of the conflicts depicted came into being and what impact it had on shaping American hist
Mickey
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A tough read but a good insight to a period of American colonial history generally overlooked. Worth wading through the details to better understand to evolution of the mistrust and double dealing among the European and Native cultures of the new world. Graphic historical violence at places not dissimilar to what is in current Middle-eastern news. A bit more disconcerting, though, when perpetuated by our Puritan forebears or a colonial Governor Penn.
Rob Hammond
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found the stories about the French and Indian War to be especially interesting. The history classes I took in high school and college didn't really cover this period of time in-depth. There's a lot that happened between the age of discovery and the revolutionary war, and understanding it gives a better insight into the origins of the American ethos.
Roland Bruno
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
While many of the tales within were well known to me, there were several less familiar stories that I enjoyed the author's deftly written descriptions of. A solid overview and introduction to a period of "American history".
Mike
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Descriptions were shorter than I would have liked and had less continuity, but a good primer on early American conflicts and colonization.
Rachel