Start by marking “Cheerleaders From Planet X” as Want to Read:
Cheerleaders From Planet X

Cheerleaders From Planet X

Aliens are among us. And humanity’s only hope just happens to carry pom-poms.

Laura Clark thought she was just your average college freshman—until the day she saw a cheerleader on a skateboard get into a superhuman brawl with a lightning-wielding stranger in a trenchcoat. And the weirdest thing of all? Nobody else saw it happen. Nobody, that is, except the beautiful but
Published September 5th 2017 by The Kraken Collective

To ask other readers questions about Cheerleaders From Planet X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cheerleaders From Planet X

Start your review of Cheerleaders From Planet X
lov2laf
This is a fun, short novel that is a non-stop ride of action and plot twists. It's a bit like crossing the X-files with X-men and stars, Laura, a freshman in college who keeps falling down the rabbit hole once she sees a Cheerleader on a skateboard, moving way too fast.

The continual plot twists keeps the reader guessing and, overall, I found it to be an enjoyable read.

The characters in the book are college age or higher but there is a YA feel to the book. I think this is mainly because the
Kara
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Cheerleaders From Planet X” has some humor, but less than I expected. It really takes itself very seriously despite the goofy twisting and turning mostly clever plot. The MCs are likable, and we move through the book from Laura’s point of view. There are a few gentle kisses. Yeah….lesbian cheerleaders…and all we get are a few kisses….sigh. Actually, the book should have been named “Cheerleaders AND Planet X”, but the reason for that would involve spoilers.

Laura and Shailene are entertaining and
Lexxi Kitty
Weird messed up book.
...

This is the first book I've read by this author. And I went into the book the wrong way. See, I'd seen a quote from the book and I found it quite humorous, add in the book title and I assumed that this book would be another lesbian science fiction humor book (you know, to add to the other two (or so) I've read). but this isn't a humor book, and the quote isn't actually funny when read in context. mmphs. So I read this wrong.

Well, that and I kept expecting things to line
RoAnna Sylver
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
“You know when you find someone you didn’t realize you were looking for until they’re there? And they become your family, and you realize… without them there’s a big hole.”

* * *

This book was everything I hoped it would be. A super fun and quick-moving storyline, alien intrigue and secret government organizations, and a cast full of women who support and protect each other instead of being pitted against one another. It was super refreshing to see a sorority (cheerleaders, no less) depicted as
autumn
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. a cute fun sci fi story w a lesbian filipino protagonist! the plot was kind of weak but it was a fun quick read and the relationship between the 2 leads is cute!
Alexa
Read on my blog.

LGBTQAI+: Lesbian main character and love interest
Sex on page: No
Note: Half-Filipina main character

It’s somehow unusually difficult to articulate my thoughts about this book, so this review might be a little all over the place.

I’ve been meaning to read this book for a while – I was first intrigued by the cover and the title, then the blurb. Cheerleaders who fight aliens like some kind of superheroes? Sign me up!

I read this book fairly quickly and I enjoyed it as well, but when I
K. Aten
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 - A nice little YA-seeming pleasure read.
I wasn't sure what to think of this book at first, since I bought the kindle version for less than a dollar and sometimes "bargain books" are hit or miss. It seemed a little juvenile, but it does have a teen/YA tag on Amazon so I guess that makes sense. However, the story was unique and interesting and the pace of the action was pretty steady throughout. The book was 1st person and the main character was written well. She was in the dark about a lot
Ceillie Simkiss
This was delightful.
Read my full review here!
Jennifer Linsky
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I reserve five stars for books that make me want to read them again, the moment I've finished reading them.

This book is fabulous, filled with all different kinds of love. Yes, there are aliens, and supergirls, and bug-eyed monsters from outer space, but nothing is as it appears... except for love. And the bug-eyed monsters.

One teeny, tiny, niggling little complaint -- "Intergalactic" means, "between galaxies." These people? They're not even extra-solar! It really ought to be the "Interplanetary
iam
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sapphic, ya
Fast-paced, action-packed and full of plot-twists, with a cute romance sub-plot between two lesbian girls.
I wish the ending had been longer and more extensive, as it is it's very abrupt with no real conclusion, but that might as well be a set-up for a sequel...
This was amazing!

Let me start by saying sci-fi is NOT my genre. In fact, I almost skipped on this book (except I saw a review that made it sound amazing) because aliens and space has never been something that interests me. But, this story is so much more than that. It did take me a little while to be “I need to know what happens next!!!” but even up until that point I was loving the characters and the slow-building mystery.

Is there going to be a sequel? Or is this the last of Laura and Shailene
Melanie McFarlane
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Well written & edited. This was the perfect weekend escape.
Tani
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm online friends with the author. My opinion remains my own.

So, I really enjoyed this. I wasn't really sure what to expect, going in, but it ended up being a fast-paced and enjoyable novella. I did feel like the beginning was a bit slow, but that was probably more me than the book. I started reading in fits and drabbles, so it's likely my own fault that I had a bit of trouble getting into the story.

However, once I got further into the story, I found myself
Ry Herman
I read this one thinking it might be light and entertaining, and it ended up being light and ... odd. None of the characters quite reacts in ways that make sense. At the very beginning, for example, the narrating character opens the book by declaring that a cheerleader riding a skateboard is the strangest thing she has seen in her entire life -- I'm not sure why -- and then not long after that she is comparatively blasé about killing a bug-monster alien she didn't know existed before that moment ...more
Emma Katherine
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: Cheerleaders from Planet X was one of the best Lyssa Chiavari stories I've read! I connected with the characters, was impressed with the conflict, and was satisfied with the ending. I enjoyed reading about Laura, a character I connected with quickly, dealing with finding out she is one of the only ones that saw a supernatural brawl. This book is a constant stream of action and finding out new, shocking news! Chiavari
Brooke Banks
W-W relationship with the MC, Laura
She is super cute with the crushing!
MC Laura is Filipino with a large present family
Family drama but not of the homophobic variety.
Laura discovers aliens, conspiracies, and love.
Heads Up: Non-Consensual Mind Fuckery
Men in Black w/ college girls & Greek mythology.
Lots of action and Matrix-like fight scenes
Supportive and awesome Big & Little sorority relationship.
Unique set-up, that admittedly stretched my suspension of disbelief at times.
BEST
Linda
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this story as it was so off the grid of what most authors write, coupled with Laura's adaptability when faced with other worldly problems! For a college freshman she had more common sense that most. When Bayview cheerleaders start disappearing all over the city, she knows that she needs answers fast if the human race will survive! All is not what it seems when she sees what she thought was human security turn into huge eight ugly bugs! Now she isn't dreaming but she can't tell her ...more
Lucille
[3,5/5]
A very enjoyable short novel. I liked the sci-fi elements, still lacked a bit of action from what I was expecting. But the characters were nice, the f/f love story was one of the very good point of the novel! Also the fact that the main character is part of a sorority and it was shown in a very good light, something I'd need never seen before (plus I'm not very knowledgeable on that point, being french)
Jessie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun! I really loved both the depictions of Laura's family and of her sorority, and the romance between Laura and Shailene was sweet.

This story feels complete, but there's definitely a lot left open for future books.

I wish we'd gotten to see more of Ana's motivations. I'd have liked to see more of Ana, period. That's a relationship that is clearly important, but we don't get a ton of Laura and Ana together.

One instance I think of "just a friend," one of "girls or boys."
Candace
Engaging YA Lesbian Sci-Fi

Fun imaginative story with lotsa YA angst. It would make sense for this to be the beginning of a series, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest it is. Nothing deep here, and this does not rise above its genre. Of course, I'm about 50 years too old to be the best judge of this genre!
Christopher Nelson
Ridiculous name, great book

I am not much of a review writer but I did love this book. Very fun and fast read. Reminded me in some ways of a manga or anime. I f you like your science fiction with superheroes and a touch of mystery and romance you may enjoy this. Give it a chance and I bet you will find yourself reading all the way to the end.b
Emily Davies
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this down. The story didn't go in the direction I was expecting at all, and I loved that! It may be a silly, tropey, sci-fi/romance but that doesn't mean that there aren't twists and turns throughout it. I loved both Laura and Shailene, too. In short, this is an easy, quick read that you won't want to stop! Now I kind of want a sequel... :)
Heather Henkel
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

I enjoyed reading this story and had to laugh at the cheerleaders running around and jumping on trains in uniform.
Bitterblue
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ff
This was fun.
Bourgine Aurélie
Interesting

This is an easy read, with great characters and a good story. I think I'll be looking out for other books fromthis author.
Paola
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. DONT TOUCH ME. ITS MY FIRST SCI FI AND IT WAS INCREDIBLY. FULL REVIEW COMNG VERY SOON.
Morv
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it

Cheerleaders from Planet X is a young adult, LGBT romance, sci fi novel. It's an interesting premise, I heard a lot of praise for it on Twitter, hence why I bought the book. The plot is about a college student called Laura, who some how is able to see a group of cheerleaders from another school kicking ass against something that is clearly not human, yet no other human can see what had just happened.

I wish I could say that I loved this book, I wanted to, I really did. But something just didn't
M
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I've dreamed of doing that for years. I just never realized that I was dreaming of you all along."

I received a free ARC from the author in return for an honest review.

Cheerleaders from Planet X was a nice little surprise for me. I'm not the usual SciFi fan so I was so happy to find out this was a more character-based story with a super fun narrative. It hits all the right notes when it comes to the fun parts balancing around the action. Laura is a wonderful protagonist and it was a pleasure to
Sean Locke
This book starts off fun and lighthearted, and gets thrilling and engrossing as the action tumbles into the third act. Depictions of mixed race (in more ways than one) families ring true with my personal experience, and the f/f romance is very sweet and touching. The story lends itself very well to a sequel, but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything; Cheerleaders from Planet X can definitely stand on its own as well.

Narrator Adrian Mayes is compellingly emotive. Verbally arresting,
Cande
it's just not working for me. i like the concept but how everything is playing out. i may come back to this book another time.

• The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Villains Don't Date Heroes! (Night Terror and Fialux #1)
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
  • Stay
  • Where Are You
  • Worlds Apart
  • Soft: A Short Story
  • Twist of the Magi
Lyssa Chiavari is an author of speculative fiction for young adults, including Fourth World, the first book in a sci-fi trilogy set on Mars, and Cheerleaders From Planet X, a tongue-in-cheek send-up of all things sci-fi. Her short fiction has appeared in Wings of Renewal: A Solarpunk Dragon Anthology, Brave New Girls: Tales of Heroines Who Hack, Magic at Midnight: A YA Fairytale Anthology and ...more