Jump to ratings and reviews

Cheerleaders From Planet X

Aliens are among us. And humanity’s only hope just happens to carry pom-poms.

Laura Clark thought she was just your average college freshman—until the day she saw a cheerleader on a skateboard get into a superhuman brawl with a lightning-wielding stranger in a trenchcoat. And the weirdest thing of all? Nobody else saw it happen. Nobody, that is, except the beautiful but standoffish Shailene, one of the mysterious (and possibly super-powered) cheerleaders from Laura’s rival school, Bayview University.

When girls start disappearing all over the City, Laura suddenly realizes that she may have seen more than she should. And if she wants to keep from disappearing herself, she needs to find some answers. But though Laura can’t shake the feeling that they’re somehow connected, Shailene is more than a little reluctant to share her secrets. With strange, bug-like creatures and a sinister man in a dark coat stalking her every step, Laura will have to uncover the truth fast if she wants to survive.

The fate of the planet just might hang in the balance.

318 pages, Paperback

First published September 5, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lyssa Chiavari

19 books84 followers
Lyssa Chiavari is an author of speculative fiction for young adults, including Fourth World, the first book in a sci-fi trilogy set on Mars, and Cheerleaders From Planet X, a tongue-in-cheek send-up of all things sci-fi. Her short fiction has appeared in Wings of Renewal: A Solarpunk Dragon Anthology, Brave New Girls: Tales of Heroines Who Hack, Magic at Midnight: A YA Fairytale Anthology and Perchance to Dream: Classic Tales from the Bard’s World in New Skins. Her first published story, “The Choice,” was named one of Ama-gi Magazine’s Best of 2014. Lyssa lives with her family and way too many animals in the woods of Northwest Oregon.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (1%)
1 star
4 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 36 reviews
Profile Image for lov2laf.
714 reviews1,033 followers
October 8, 2017
This is a fun, short novel that is a non-stop ride of action and plot twists. It's a bit like crossing the X-files with X-men and stars, Laura, a freshman in college who keeps falling down the rabbit hole once she sees a Cheerleader on a skateboard, moving way too fast.

The continual plot twists keeps the reader guessing and, overall, I found it to be an enjoyable read.

The characters in the book are college age or higher but there is a YA feel to the book. I think this is mainly because the content of the book is non-explicit in violence, despite all of the action, and the f/f romance is pretty sweet and innocent.

For diversity, Laura comes from a mixed family and she's half Filipina and half white. The Filipino aspect is well depicted and there's some good humor that comes out of it.

The story is a mix of sci-fi, mystery, superhero tale, light f/f romance, action and adventure with sprinkles of humor.

Recommend.
Profile Image for Lexxi Kitty.
1,948 reviews422 followers
November 17, 2017
Weird messed up book.
...

This is the first book I've read by this author. And I went into the book the wrong way. See, I'd seen a quote from the book and I found it quite humorous, add in the book title and I assumed that this book would be another lesbian science fiction humor book (you know, to add to the other two (or so) I've read). but this isn't a humor book, and the quote isn't actually funny when read in context. mmphs. So I read this wrong.

Well, that and I kept expecting things to line up to what that quote seemed to be suggesting. Or, in other words, I expected some kind of alien invasion that would be need to be fought against (possibly by superheroes), and that the aliens would be in cheerleader costumes (reminding of an arc on that 3rd Rock from the Sun show, where aliens arrived in the form of supermodels). But . . . that was also wrong.

This is one of those 'things are not what they seem' type books, but I hadn't expected that things like 'genre' would be part of that 'not what they seem'. Oh, right, that's why I started this paragraph that way - because this is one of those 'things are not what they seem', I'm not sure how to describe this book.

hmms.

A 19 year old college student is home on break from college. For a week or so - or that's how long the break was scheduled for. While on that break, occurring before the start of this book, several family members got married; and the main character's house is now overrun by relatives. Vast majority of whom have some connection to the Philippines. Including the main character. Whose name happens to be 'Laura Clark', so I can stop saying 'the main character'. Right, so, Laura Clark has a mixed background, which includes, among other things, Filipino blood and some blond haired white dude's blood. Which, of course, is important.

Right, so, college break. While sitting on a bench (I think), Laura watches a cheerleader rocket by on a skateboard and do some awesome moves. On the city street. And by 'rocket', think 'like there were mini-jets under the skateboard'. Shortly thereafter, while taking a train back to college, Laura sees that same cheerleader on the roof of a train. Coming towards her own train.

Awesome opening. I looked forward to more story involving Laura and the hot strawberry pony-tail cheerleader from Planet X. ..................... with a side of humor .......... Pony tail was not, in fact, the love interest in the story. Sooo....

I know I'm going against everyone else who has read and rated this book (for the most part), but I did find it a good way to pass the time (well, that gives wrong impression, no, I meant the others loved the book, for the most part, while I just found it a good way to pass the time). Just wasn't what I had expected. And had kinda less action than I expected (along with less humor). Based on some things I'd read, I hadn't expected much in the romance department, just something resembling something, just not a major thread. Which worked out well for me.

. Though that's kind of one of those things you learn earlish in the book. That uncle sure was a dick.

. Not that the other relatives, that had lines and scenes, weren't also somewhat stupid-headish. I suppose that other uncle, Tonio, who marginally helped her was an okay dude.

I should have left this review at what I'd originally wrote. Those few words. Indicating . . . stuff.

Rating: 3 something.

October 11 2017
Profile Image for Kara.
710 reviews1,242 followers
October 13, 2017
“Cheerleaders From Planet X” has some humor, but less than I expected. It really takes itself very seriously despite the goofy twisting and turning mostly clever plot. The MCs are likable, and we move through the book from Laura’s point of view. There are a few gentle kisses. Yeah….lesbian cheerleaders…and all we get are a few kisses….sigh. Actually, the book should have been named “Cheerleaders AND Planet X”, but the reason for that would involve spoilers.

Laura and Shailene are entertaining and likable, but they sure make lots of questionable decisions about their personal safety and their roles in the battle against aliens as they alternate between battling and fleeing the Anesidorans. Who is kidnapping girls, for what purpose, who is protecting them and who is turning a blind eye to events is a very evolving story. Mostly, it’s clever, but there are definitely parts of the plot that stretches believability….even for a book with this title, and some of the plot twists don’t really make as much sense as the book wants us to believe.

There’s not much more to say without spoilers, except to add that I really didn’t like Laura’s parents. There is no audiobook available, but it was a fun listen via VoiceDream. I rate the book 3.5*, and I’m hesitating before deciding to round up or down. I’ve rated books I’ve liked much more as 4*, so I’m going to rate this as a 3* - a meh with a very slight recommendation?

If you want lesbians from space, consider Ella Ford’s “Lesbian Invaders from Space” trilogy. Lots more humor….and sex!
Profile Image for RoAnna Sylver.
Author 23 books263 followers
September 30, 2017
“You know when you find someone you didn’t realize you were looking for until they’re there? And they become your family, and you realize… without them there’s a big hole.”

* * *

This book was everything I hoped it would be. A super fun and quick-moving storyline, alien intrigue and secret government organizations, and a cast full of women who support and protect each other instead of being pitted against one another. It was super refreshing to see a sorority (cheerleaders, no less) depicted as being a loving and loyal family instead of the usual backstabby, catty Mean Girl tropes we usually get in high school/college-age stories.

Cheerleaders From Planet X has a Buffy-esque feel, with a cast of tough-as-nails girls saving the planet, exciting action scenes, and seriously cool aliens... except a lot better, for obvious Joss-y reasons. If you want sci-fi with the above vibe without the underlying grossness (also, queer girls who don't die!) you'll really enjoy this. The reveal of who the aliens actually are and where they come from is also super-neat, and I can't wait to see more of this universe. (Yes, bonus points for Greek mythology nerding. Love it.)

But my favorite part is the building romance between Shailene and Laura, and the ultimate payoff - no spoilers, but I'm such a sucker for amnesia stories done well (even the sci-fi type), and this definitely is. The resolution moment is *good,* and makes my heart ache a little just thinking about it.

Totally recommended for anyone who's looking for a lighter read with a powerful emotional core. And aliens.
Profile Image for autumn.
272 reviews42 followers
December 25, 2017
3.5 stars. a cute fun sci fi story w a lesbian filipino protagonist! the plot was kind of weak but it was a fun quick read and the relationship between the 2 leads is cute!
Profile Image for Alex.
609 reviews65 followers
March 25, 2018
Read on my blog.

LGBTQAI+: Lesbian main character and love interest
Sex on page: No
Note: Half-Filipina main character

It’s somehow unusually difficult to articulate my thoughts about this book, so this review might be a little all over the place.

I’ve been meaning to read this book for a while – I was first intrigued by the cover and the title, then the blurb. Cheerleaders who fight aliens like some kind of superheroes? Sign me up!

I read this book fairly quickly and I enjoyed it as well, but when I got to the end I had to realise that it was more forgettable than I hoped. I enjoyed the action and the plot twists (really – I guessed part of it, but there was much that I couldn’t/didn’t guess so I was at the edge of my seat waiting to find out what was going to happen), but when everything was finally revealed, it felt like a little too much at once. Suddenly all kinds of government conspiracies and they-aren’t-who-you-think and Greek mythology was involved, and most of this was revealed at the same time. I felt like a more gradual reveal of the situation might have been better.

Most importantly, I just couldn’t really connect with any of the characters. I enjoyed the dialogue, especially the several references/jokes about the upcoming election and such, but in the end none of the characters truly grabbed me. I was interested in what was going to happen them, but not THEM, if that makes sense.

In short, this was an enjoyable but ultimately forgettable read for me.

My rating: 🛸🛸🛸🛸/5.
Profile Image for K. Aten.
Author 17 books269 followers
October 7, 2017
3.5 - A nice little YA-seeming pleasure read.
I wasn't sure what to think of this book at first, since I bought the kindle version for less than a dollar and sometimes "bargain books" are hit or miss. It seemed a little juvenile, but it does have a teen/YA tag on Amazon so I guess that makes sense. However, the story was unique and interesting and the pace of the action was pretty steady throughout. The book was 1st person and the main character was written well. She was in the dark about a lot of the events that were transpiring in the story, but that was for a reason. Overall, it was a fun little read with a twist, and it kept me engrossed through the full length of the book.
Profile Image for Jennifer Linsky.
Author 1 book38 followers
September 30, 2017
I reserve five stars for books that make me want to read them again, the moment I've finished reading them.

This book is fabulous, filled with all different kinds of love. Yes, there are aliens, and supergirls, and bug-eyed monsters from outer space, but nothing is as it appears... except for love. And the bug-eyed monsters.

One teeny, tiny, niggling little complaint -- "Intergalactic" means, "between galaxies." These people? They're not even extra-solar! It really ought to be the "Interplanetary Agency."
Profile Image for iam.
950 reviews126 followers
December 25, 2017
Fast-paced, action-packed and full of plot-twists, with a cute romance sub-plot between two lesbian girls.
I wish the ending had been longer and more extensive, as it is it's very abrupt with no real conclusion, but that might as well be a set-up for a sequel...
Profile Image for Laura.
1,659 reviews46 followers
November 29, 2017
This was amazing!

Let me start by saying sci-fi is NOT my genre. In fact, I almost skipped on this book (except I saw a review that made it sound amazing) because aliens and space has never been something that interests me. But, this story is so much more than that. It did take me a little while to be “I need to know what happens next!!!” but even up until that point I was loving the characters and the slow-building mystery.

Is there going to be a sequel? Or is this the last of Laura and Shailene we’re going to see?

I definitely loved their relationship and all the things they had to go through to finally get together. And Laura’s family is awesome and I love the glimpses of them we get throughout.

All around, this is a great, fun story with lots of mystery and a nice pacing the relationship.
Profile Image for Tani.
1,084 reviews21 followers
January 5, 2018
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm online friends with the author. My opinion remains my own.

So, I really enjoyed this. I wasn't really sure what to expect, going in, but it ended up being a fast-paced and enjoyable novella. I did feel like the beginning was a bit slow, but that was probably more me than the book. I started reading in fits and drabbles, so it's likely my own fault that I had a bit of trouble getting into the story.

However, once I got further into the story, I found myself drawn in. The story is really fast-paced, with lots of events and revelations to keep you interested. There's really not a lot of downtime while you're reading it, which is nice, especially in a shorter form. The writing style is also really nice. I read a fair amount of this while sick, knowing that I didn't have the brainpower for anything complicated. The writing is smooth and easy reading, with few (if any) errors in the text. That made it really easy to sink into the story, even with my sickness-addled brain.

I also liked that, while this is a f/f romance, and the relationship between Laura and Shailene takes center stage for the most part, there are other significant relationships throughout the story, from Laura's friendship with her big, Shailene's relationship with Janice, to the cameos we get from Laura's family. The variety of relationships really gave the story a nice and grounded feeling, and ended up adding a lot of emotional depth to the story, which was great. Not to mention that the romance itself was pretty dang cute.

I definitely had a good time reading this, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a short and pacy science fictional romance.
Profile Image for To All the YA.
16 reviews
April 29, 2022
College freshman Laura Clark’s whole life is turned upside down after she sees cheerleaders from rival college Bayview University using superhuman strength to battle a mysterious creature—and, that’s just the beginning. Laura thought she was just a normal sorority sister, but when she meets cheerleader Shailene, it’s clear that nothing of her life is quite what it seems.

Sending love to:
💌 Dutch babies, the delicious popovers from Gunther’s, a regular breakfast spot for Laura and her sorority sisters. The description of these made my mouth water.
💌 The tale of Lillian Brown, and the tower that was made to honor her by a man who had unrequited love for her. It’s such a cool story with a hidden history.
💌 Sisterhood. I was never in a sorority, but this book made me really envious of these close, tight-knit friendships that Laura has made. I love how close she feels to her big, Ana, who teaches her about college, life, and love.
💌 No one really is who they seem to be, and while that’s very frustrating for Laura to learn, it’s a good lesson about looking deeper than just the surface. Laura comes understand that about many of the people in her life.

We got to interview author Lyssa Chiavari for our podcast (listen on Spotify and Apple Podcasts). Check out more book reviews, podcast episodes, and nostalgia here.
Profile Image for Ry Herman.
Author 5 books29 followers
March 13, 2018
I read this one thinking it might be light and entertaining, and it ended up being light and ... odd. None of the characters quite reacts in ways that make sense. At the very beginning, for example, the narrating character opens the book by declaring that a cheerleader riding a skateboard is the strangest thing she has seen in her entire life -- I'm not sure why -- and then not long after that she is comparatively blasé about killing a bug-monster alien she didn't know existed before that moment by pushing it in front of a moving train. And the plot eventually hinges on some rather unlikely points, for example
Profile Image for Emma Katherine.
271 reviews11 followers
August 18, 2019
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: Cheerleaders from Planet X was one of the best Lyssa Chiavari stories I've read! I connected with the characters, was impressed with the conflict, and was satisfied with the ending. I enjoyed reading about Laura, a character I connected with quickly, dealing with finding out she is one of the only ones that saw a supernatural brawl. This book is a constant stream of action and finding out new, shocking news! Chiavari also proved her amazing writing skills and potential to me with this book; she clearly knows how to create characters that the readers care about and themes that teach the reader something. Cheerleaders from Planet X had all of these qualities, which obliges me to give it five stars.

My Favourite Thing: Again, just to make it clear, I am thankful that this book is long. Gale and Cinderell.A.I were great ideas concerning aliens and artificial intelligence, but because they were so short, I read and finished them too quickly. I didn't connect with the characters or engage with the writing, but I could tell that Chiavari had talent. Cheerleaders from Planet X was longer, meaning everything played out.

My Least Favourite Thing: The only reason Cheerleaders from Planet X isn't one of my favourite books is because of the genre: I am not a fan of aliens or any other science fiction. Excluding this detail, there was nothing I disliked about Cheerleaders from Planet X!
Profile Image for Brooke Banks.
899 reviews175 followers
December 19, 2017
➜W-W relationship with the MC, Laura
➜➜She is super cute with the crushing!
➜MC Laura is Filipino with a large present family
➜➜Family drama but not of the homophobic variety.
➜Laura discovers aliens, conspiracies, and love.
➜Heads Up: Non-Consensual Mind Fuckery
➜Men in Black w/ college girls & Greek mythology.
➜Lots of action and Matrix-like fight scenes
➜Supportive and awesome Big & Little sorority relationship.
➜Unique set-up, that admittedly stretched my suspension of disbelief at times.
➜BEST EXCHANGE:
➜➜“Don’t you care about what happens to humanity? Do you really want to just sit back and let everybody be enslaved to some kind of… alien overlord?”
“Well, I mean, depending on how the election turns out in November, that might be preferable.”
➜★★★ 1/2 = because of the said disbelief issues that did yank me out of the story temporarily and how sometimes it was too convenient w/ the powers and timing.
Profile Image for Linda.
2,941 reviews2 followers
June 3, 2018
I liked this story as it was so off the grid of what most authors write, coupled with Laura's adaptability when faced with other worldly problems! For a college freshman she had more common sense that most. When Bayview cheerleaders start disappearing all over the city, she knows that she needs answers fast if the human race will survive! All is not what it seems when she sees what she thought was human security turn into huge eight ugly bugs! Now she isn't dreaming but she can't tell her friends!
Profile Image for Bia Crespo.
13 reviews1 follower
June 10, 2020
Cheerleaders, lesbians and space battles. What else could I ask for!? I had a lot of fun reading this. It delivers everything the genre promises, including action scenes and battles in spaceships. I started reading thinking it would be a regular love story, but was positively surprised when it turned into a sci-fi thriller with touches of comedy. Very entertaining and inclusive with a lot of twists and an adorable lesbian couple. If you’re looking for a light read but want something different from the usual lesbian romances, this book is a perfect match for you.
Profile Image for Sophie A. Katz.
52 reviews1 follower
December 25, 2022
This book is just plain fun. This sci-fi romp follows a college student who realizes that the universe is a whole lot bigger than she thought. There’s a heck of a lot to be found here – aliens, superpowers, queer history, incessantly positive female relationships, and twists upon twists upon twists. I found myself following a repeated train of thought similar to my experience watching many Doctor Who episodes: “Does this make sense? Eh, not really. Am I having a good time? Yes!” I would have devoured this book as a kid, and I’m happy that other young people have it today.
Profile Image for Jessie.
1,925 reviews25 followers
October 1, 2017
This was fun! I really loved both the depictions of Laura's family and of her sorority, and the romance between Laura and Shailene was sweet.

This story feels complete, but there's definitely a lot left open for future books.

I wish we'd gotten to see more of Ana's motivations. I'd have liked to see more of Ana, period. That's a relationship that is clearly important, but we don't get a ton of Laura and Ana together.

One instance I think of "just a friend," one of "girls or boys."
Profile Image for Lucille.
994 reviews197 followers
October 14, 2017
[3,5/5]
A very enjoyable short novel. I liked the sci-fi elements, still lacked a bit of action from what I was expecting. But the characters were nice, the f/f love story was one of the very good point of the novel! Also the fact that the main character is part of a sorority and it was shown in a very good light, something I'd need never seen before (plus I'm not very knowledgeable on that point, being french)
Profile Image for Candace.
Author 1 book14 followers
April 6, 2018
Engaging YA Lesbian Sci-Fi

Fun imaginative story with lotsa YA angst. It would make sense for this to be the beginning of a series, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest it is. Nothing deep here, and this does not rise above its genre. Of course, I'm about 50 years too old to be the best judge of this genre!
Profile Image for Emily Davies.
76 reviews
June 27, 2018
I could not put this down. The story didn't go in the direction I was expecting at all, and I loved that! It may be a silly, tropey, sci-fi/romance but that doesn't mean that there aren't twists and turns throughout it. I loved both Laura and Shailene, too. In short, this is an easy, quick read that you won't want to stop! Now I kind of want a sequel... :)
17 reviews7 followers
September 26, 2018
Ridiculous name, great book

I am not much of a review writer but I did love this book. Very fun and fast read. Reminded me in some ways of a manga or anime. I f you like your science fiction with superheroes and a touch of mystery and romance you may enjoy this. Give it a chance and I bet you will find yourself reading all the way to the end.b
Profile Image for Aurélie Brgn.
22 reviews
November 4, 2017
Interesting

This is an easy read, with great characters and a good story. I think I'll be looking out for other books fromthis author.
Profile Image for Heather Henkel.
1,404 reviews20 followers
March 23, 2018
Fun read

I enjoyed reading this story and had to laugh at the cheerleaders running around and jumping on trains in uniform.
Profile Image for Morv.
267 reviews
February 9, 2019

Cheerleaders from Planet X is a young adult, LGBT romance, sci fi novel.  It's an interesting premise, I heard a lot of praise for it on Twitter, hence why I bought the book.  The plot is about a college student called Laura, who some how is able to see a group of cheerleaders from another school kicking ass against something that is clearly not human, yet no other human can see what had just happened.

I wish I could say that I loved this book, I wanted to, I really did.  But something just didn't click to me.  It could be for a variety of reasons:

It's made predominantly for teenagers.
It's written solely for the American audience.
The cheerleader that Laura becomes infatuated with? Just seems to be a bit of a dick.  Like why?
There is another plot that makes the end become a bit of a twist.
There is a story about Laura's 'big sister' and it just makes very little sense.
I barely cared for any of the characters in general.
The American audience part might just be me showing my age, I no longer watch any TV shows, so maybe certain American TV shows that are out now could be helpful, like how college's have big brother and big sisters in sorority houses - it was a bit confusing to me, I am old and i am all right with that.

The cheerleader that Laura is infatuated with? Why? I mean... no actually just why?

Over all as a book, it's fine.  It's not fantastic, it's not the best if you aren't hard core into the American schooling system, it's just

fine.

I honestly wish I could put it into actually words about how much I just barely care about this book, it's all right to read but it's not really one that I would say you have to read it.  It's decent enough but am pretty sure there will be other books out there that will work out just as nicely.  However, if you do want to read a book about kickass cheerleaders with  sprinkle of LGBT and scifi dusted around, maybe you could have a look.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 36 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.