Start by marking “Leslie” as Want to Read:
Leslie

Leslie

The New York Times bestselling novel about a beautiful young woman with a dangerous secret
At the historically black Dillard University in the lush city of New Orleans, Leslie Beaudet struggles with a dark secret of power in a world that is pulling her in many different directions. Her friends and family see her in many ways -- from a father's deserving princess to a mother's source
Published August 4th 2003 by Simon Schuster (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Leslie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leslie

Start your review of Leslie
Ariel
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Aside from Flyy Girl I am not a fan of Omar Tyree's writing. He has decent ideas but he doesn't execute them in a believable way to me.

This book was basically about a girl who discovers the supernatural power of her family and uses it as revenge against people who have done her wrong.

It was clear that the author, Tyree, did not know too much about the Voodoo of which he was writing because the details were very superficial and was neither well-written nor logical. There was hardly explanation
FreeFormLady
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It was suspenseful, drama filled, & a bit creepy. However, the ending ruined it for me. Being that the book is 13 years old I doubt there will be a part two. After thinking it over I can kind of understand why Tyree left it this way, but I just don't know if it really works for me.
I thought it was one of the better written books by Omar Tyree.
There were a lot of issues addressed in this book such as poverty, colorism (Creole vs. African American), and just gene
Jerrika Rhone
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
11% Done: It's a really short audio so I'm going to try and suck it up but O.T. does not stand the test of time lol. Ugh

22% Done: Sheesh, cliche much *eye roll*

DNF @ 25%: bruh, I'm good. I'm happy my taste in books has grown.
Angel Conley
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book at 11 years old and it has stuck with me all these years. I could never forget the story of this character and how well written it was, intermingling languages and making sure the reader despite their background could understand it.
Eve A.
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Everything in this book was accurate. I live 40 minutes from the city of New Orleans. I am of Creole/Jamaican/Native American descent. This should become a movie.
Michele Wesley
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story was sad, funny, drama filled and it hit home for me being born in New Orleans. I was hooked from the start and loved it to the end.
Jahmina
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book a long time ago. It’s one of my favorites. Omar Tyree really captured the realities of black life, womanhood, manhood, poverty, joy, pain and human desire in the ghetto. He does it from different points of view and each one is so authentic. I never tire of this book.
Sylvia Hester
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you enjoy reading over and over again. What more can a person ask for but the mysterious world of New Orleans Voodoo? With the complicated life of college girls. Jealousy, pettiness, want, desire. This is what this book compose of. This is one of my favorite books of all time and deserve never to collect dust on anyone's shelf.
Only thing that is missing is the outcome.. :(
Kevin Allen
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! is my best description for this book. Leslie is absolutely perfect, the woman. Her situation will stun you. Her life will pull you in and make you dance to her beat. And her actions are just WOW. If you haven't read it, you should.
Mo
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, I felt like I was in Nawlins. After I read this book, I ran out and bought two more of his books, this was a brilliant novel.
Kessa Williams
Loved every moment of it. They should make a movie of it!
Louise Payne
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
'Leslie' Is my favorite Omar Tyree book.
I could read this book again, and again and again.
Daphne
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Not really a Omar Tyree fan at all. This book however was GREAT! Leslie is phenomenal! A favorite for sure!
Winter Sophia Rose
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Captivating, Unique & Deep Read! I Enjoyed NB This Read!
Genna
Aug 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Why did I finish reading this . . . book? I can't think of anything positive to say about it really. The characters were unpleasant at best, the plot was silly, the constant use of . . . was mind-bogglingly irritating. Seriously, flick open to almost any page and you'll see what I mean:
p.87 Then she coughed . . . and coughed again.
p. 314 And it seems like . . . I can't stop it now.
p.25 She just hated for things to be so damned . . . obvious.

I guess the crux of the s
Monique Golden
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leslie by Omar Tyree was a good read. It took place in New Orleans. It was about a group of college girls who were roomates from different places/walks of life.

Leslie came from a family who did not have it all. She struggled but did everything that she had to do to succeed in life. In the beginning of the book I Leslie was my favorite character. At the end of Leslie, Leslie had me scared of her. I am not down for all that voodoo stuff which Leslie is all about.

The people that thought she new L
Kim
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I've had this book since 2002, and it was on my book shelf, and after all this time I decided to read it. This was the Omar Tyree book that I've read in a very long time, and it was kind of weird. I was kind of torn by the fact that we really didn't know how the girls became roommates...also there was just way too much mystery to Leslie, and the fact that she got away with all that crap that she got away with...and let's not talk about the killing...but it was still an easy read.
Umeka
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omar Tyree does it again! This book was AMAZING! He included so many details at every turn. There were little to no technical errors in the book. The language of the book was smooth. And the scenes moved from one moment to the next without empty spaces or questions left unanswered. If it wasn't for my hectic lifestyle I wouldn't have put this book down. I won't include any spoilers in this post.
Manda Moore
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book more different from other books of his this book way more darker and confusing I didn't really like hard to get through but if you into thriller more suspense type of reading I guess this book for you I dont remember a lot not do I want too the book is a lot good luck reading I recommend audio
Ronald
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young and mysterious college student and woman has a dark secret. She's intelligent. She's motivated to succeed no matter what personal challenges attempt to thwart her. She's black. She's beautiful but she's nowhere stupid. Her name is Leslie. Very good book from author Omar Tyree!
Prisca
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was a little too long winded. The story about a Haitian immigrant family residing in New Orleans seemed great up front. Getting into the book had way too many twists and turns for it to be believable then it ends suddenly. Not a good ending at all.
Tawanna
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a very slow read, but interesting.
Lana Monunett
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book
Ta
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not know what to say.
Crissy Michaels
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was an okay read for me. It kept my attention. Will read more by this author in the future.
Ash
I remember reading this in college. It was good! but after I read it, I threw it away cause it was entirely too creepy for me lol
April
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mocha-bingo-2018
Waiting on part 2.....
Eriel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very slow for me in the beginning, but it was intriguing so I kept reading. I like the authors style of writing and I thought that this story was a good read. I loved, loved, loved, Leslie!
Cierra
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Rochelle
In this book Leslie by Omar Tyree brings up overarching themes of being black and educated but also going through lifes' everyday struggles while living in the south. It talks about a young woman named Leslie Beaudet, a college student at Dillard University who is pretty quiet. Because of this and her pretty dark colored skin people find her a bit mysterious and interesting. "The camera zoomed in on her dark brown face of symmetry..."That's Leslie Beaudet. She's from New Orleans.." In this book ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Milk in My Coffee
  • Nervous
  • Genevieve
  • The Other Woman
  • Sleeping with Strangers (Gideon, #1)
  • Midnight
  • God Don't Like Ugly (God Don't Like Ugly, #1)
  • Waking with Enemies (Gideon Series #2)
  • True to the Game (True to the Game #1)
  • Dying for Revenge
  • A Deeper Love Inside: The Porsche Santiaga Story
Omar Tyree, a New York Times best-selling author, a 2001 NAACP Image Award recipient for Outstanding Literature in Fiction, and a 2006 Phillis Wheatley Literary Award winner for Body of Work in Urban Fiction, has published 16 books and has sold nearly 2 million copies worldwide that has generated more than $30 million.
With a degree in Print Journalism from Howard University in 1991, Tyree has been reco