Start by marking “The Last City (The Last City, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last City (The Last City, #1)

The Last City

(The Last City #1)

Alternate Cover Edition for B00ZUA2X3M.

Sixteen-year-old Liza was prepared to die from cancer, but instead she's been gifted super-strength. Since the undead plague, the world's gone crazy: Evil dictators, mad scientists, sick kids imprisoned on an island, and experiments that have created the stuff of myths and legends.

When Liza meets Jeremy Writer, an anarchist rousting
Published January 2017 by Le Chat Publishing (first published April 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Last City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last City

Bradley
This is a call out to all those lovers of genre-bending! We've got a zombocalypse, an enormous fight for freedom from an authoritarian regime, cancer victims, hulk-outs, and even a bit of poetry and music.

What more could we ask for in a YA?

Um, we could always ask for and receive some actually nice romance. Yeah! Romance! Liza and Jeremy are so cute together! Maybe I'm just a sucker for writers who love musicians. Or maybe it's the purple eyes or the nigh-immortality or the sweetness in the face
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

Have you ever come across a book that crawls inside your soul from page one and obliterates your heart by the end? This book did that to me and so much more.

In Gods of Anthem, Logan Keys' debut novel, the world has been destroyed and people are still greedy for power. There is so little left in the world and instead of working together, the power hungry and avaricious are in control.

On an island of sick kids, who should be receiving the best treatment possible, they ar
Basia
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know how every once in a LOOOOONG, EXTREMELY RARE, while, you happen to just hit a steak where every book you read is absolutely magnificent?? Well, somehow, I've been in that wonderful place for something like 3 weeks, and maybe 5 or more books.

I got this book from NetGalley about a year ago. And it's just been sitting on my Kindle, gathering digital dust. But as soon as I started to read it, I simply could not stop. Not until I finished.

I'm surprised by a number of things as they relate
Emma
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies, dystopia
3.5 stars. The post apocalyptic setting is a bit different in this book which was a refreshing change. I found the mash up of ideas in this book a bit much and The the 'romance' between Jeremy and Liza was unconvincing. I think the sequel is where the real action will begin and am looking forward to seeing how events unfurl from the end point of this novel.
Tracy
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We meet Liza on a prison island, not far removed from Alcatraz. Only it’s for those children who are sick and dying. And Liza is ready. She’s accepted her fate and she’s ready to go. When suddenly, she allowed to go to Anthem. And things aren’t much better in Anthem. The authority have everything under a tight scrutiny, and there she meets Jeremy and her whole world turns upside down. She’s suddenly given purpose and a meaning. And it isn’t because she’s found a man, it’s because of this man’s p ...more
Laura Thalassa
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, where to start, where to start with this book? A city of ash. An island of sick. A country filled with zombies. A girl that comes back from the dead, another that feeds on blood. A boy that carries a monster deep inside him, and another that wants to insight a revolution. If any of that gave you shivers, you are not alone.

Gods of Anthem was a YA dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel that rolled together some of the most mysterious and exciting ideas out there and set it in a dystopian future wher
D. King
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the YA debut novel for Logan Keys, and YA readers are going to LOVE it! The book is written in dual POV, and the way Keys did this was absolute genius. It kept me guessing and wondering and reading along just to find out why she did what she did.

I'll be honest. It's been a very long time since a novel surprised me, and this one did it more than once. I never saw some of these twists coming, and Keys did it beautifully.

Gods of Anthem is YA Dystopian and book #1 of a series. And it's gear
C.C. Ravanera
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was asked if I could read Gods of Anthem pre-publication and I agreed to do it without an aid of a blurb, review by other people who had read it, or even a whisper of what type of story it was going to be, and I can honestly tell you I was mind-blown.

I gave it 5 stars because:
1. It has great characters
2. It has a great plot
3. The storyline is moving
4. It has mystery
5. It made me beg for more.

I am not a professional reviewer but I consider myself a seasoned reader. Books, stories, ideas an
Amanda McCrohan
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, I will admit that I am a book snob. I'm a Youth Services Librarian and a YA author. I've read so many YA books that it is difficult to impress me, but this novel truly impressed me!

"Gods of Anthem" is a Dystopian novel written by YA author, Logan Keys. I'm very honored Logan chose me to beta read for her because I could not put this book down! Her prose is spot-on, the pace is perfect... oh, and I must mention the cute boys! (You'll have to decide for yourselves whether you're #TeamJe
Amy Bartelloni
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to beta read this book. I loved the back and forth narration, and I loved it even more when the pieces came together. I’m a sucker for character development, and I was not disappointed. IMO, the characters are one of the biggest strengths of this book. I felt like I could see all of them in my mind, and they are all sort of complicated so that you don’t know how to feel about them, especially Jeremy Writer. Wait, that’s not true, I love Jeremy Writer in all his complicated, re ...more
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Here's an idea. Let's write a book that has the potential to be really good. We'll pull in a bunch of different elements, including mutants + zombies, a post-apocalyptic world, and a dystopian city setting. We'll also make sure to fill it with at least a few interesting characters that readers can really root for. ......and then we'll blow it all to hades by injecting an entirely unnecessary and vaguely disturbing romantic element on the female protagonist's part. Because, y'know, we just can't ...more
 LEAH⇢
Zombies, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Conspiracy, and A fight for the people...you could say this has it all.

Book Title: The Last City
Author: Logan Keys
Series: The Last City #1
Genre: Dystopian, Zombie, YA
Publisher: Le Chat Publishing
Setting: Florida (I think) and Sweden
Source: I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

⇝Book Theme Song⇜
(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)
♫Heroes by Generdyn Music ft. Zayde Wølf -- I seriously don't know how I came across this,
Aria Michaels
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gods of Anthem knocked me flat on my back, stole the breath from my chest and tore my heart out...and I loved EVERY damn minute of it! Logan Keys is to be commended for skillful manipulation of my ultimate favorite genre. Having read (literally) hundreds of dystopian, post-apoc and end of days novels and shorts, it is with the utmost confidence that I can say that Gods of Anthem is one of the greats. This story is more than words on paper--it has a pulse. GOA lives and breathes within your hands ...more
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I received this ARC from Le Chat Publishing via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review!

WOW! That ending was brutal but sooooo good!!!

"Aspirations are useless, because to aspire, is to reach. Dream, they say, but not too big. Laugh, they say, but not too loudly. Love, they say, but not too hard."

Rating- 4.5 stars.

I’ll jump right into the plot before I’ll tell you my thoughts!

The world has come to an end.
Illness is on the rise.
Zombies are looking for flesh.
Cancer has emaciating the popula
Ari Reavis
*ARC provided by Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*

I don't even know where to start in explaining how good this book is. I cried, had goosebumps, and clapped in excitement while reading it. It's told from the POV's of Tommy and Liza. Both amazing and inspiring people. There's also Jeremy (whose story takes place through Liza's POV). He's just all about freedom and justice, but he has his secrets. Then there's Joelle ( whose story is told from Tommy's POV). She's a last bit of innocence
Neeny Boucher
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy

Gods of Anthem by Logan Keys

***** 5 Stars *****

Gods of Anthem is the debut novel of Logan Keys. YA/Dystopian, the work is set in a post apocalyptic world where zombies roam the earth, people are sick, and hope is limited.

There is little humanity left on earth, both in terms of numbers and compassion. Opposing forces strictly control those remaining: one in the City of Ashes and a patriotic army in waiting overseas, setting the scene for confrontation and rebellion.

Told from the dual points of v
Yessi Smith
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was asked to beta read Gods of Anthem, I jumped at the chance for two reasons:
1.YA dystopian – need I say more?
2.It came highly recommended from a friend I trust.
I have one major complaint with this book and it is that it ended.

From the very beginning, Logan Keys grabs her readers’ attention and doesn’t let go until the last sentence. The writing was exemplary and as I read, it was like a movie playing in my head with characters I loved.

In true dystopian form, there was mystery, passion
Julia
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, three and a half stars!

Revolutions are not as exciting or as easy to plan as some think. Raising people into great feeling is easy, but to plan it into a meaningful direction? That takes wisdom, foresight, and some luck. The Gods of Anthem is set in a time of a post-apocalyptic city that’s on the verge of bringing itself out of the military strict confines that bind it. We have a secret army. We have revolutionaries in town. We have some powerful people that obviously have some long te
Lvautier
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read_2017
Books like these make are part of what make rating systems so difficult. I was in the mood for something a little lighter to balance out some of my other reading. I sampled and abandoned a few other books on my e-reader before settling on this one. ( Gratuitous use of words like critter as a simulacrum of character development is now officially one of my pet peeves.)
I found this more satisfying than most YA fiction that I have tried. Too much YA makes the dystopian setting an elaborate backdro
Brittany Shivers
Gods of Anthem is a YA Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic novel.

A city of ash. An island of sick. A country filled with zombies. A girl that comes back from the dead. A boy that carries a monster deep inside him. A group that wants to start a revolution.

Liza was sent to an island for the sick when she was a child. She was sick with cancer and always knew she would die there. After being attacked she is told she died. She has memories of a man she calls 'Pretend Man' but no one knows of him. When Liza sh
Lorraine Sears
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not want this book to end; such a journey of strength in the face of adversity.

Set in a dystopian future, where even the young can still recall better days, it follows ves of two people whose lives are not their own; one controlled by the ruling tyranny, the other by the resistance.
Through horrific circumstance and against overwhelming odds they fight for a cause often beyond their understanding. And they drag the unsuspecting reader right along with them, wrenching emotions at a dizzyin
Angela
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure genious! I was totally hooked on this story from the get go and didn't want to put it down. Such a unique and original story line. You can't help but be sucked into the story along with all the characters. The story from beginning to end was perfectly executed. The world build, spot on. Character depth, emotion, and action were perfect for the setting and you can't help but empathize. If your a fan of Legend or Fifth Wave, you'll definitely love this book, seriously. Go buy it and read it t ...more
Kim Light
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!Wow!Wow! Great job Ms. Keys!! I absolutely love this world you've created of zombies and "specials"! I normally don't care for books with zombies but your portrayal and how they occur is more realistic and has won me over! I loved the clever writing of two different stories that came together at the end. I was so excited about the evolving love stories, and then you had a different twist in mind at the end of the story that was so cleverly done! If anyone is looking for a good dystopian stor ...more
Bloggers From Down Under
** Provided on behalf of the author for an honest review **

Imagine this just for a moment.

The world you once knew no longer exists.
Your family is dead.
You have nobody.
Your sick.
Your sent to an island to die.
You won't survive.
This is it.
You've accepted your fate.
You'll die.
It's just a matter of time.
And you'll be alone.
Forgotten.
Remembered by no one.

But what happens when you get better?
You get stronger. You go into remission.
Your sent back to the mainland.

This is Liza's story.

Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 5 Stars

REVIEW
New to me author.

I will honestly say I don't read a lot of YA Dystopian but this book was freaking fantastic. There were times I found myself saying What"??????? Then I was wanting to throw my kindle across the room saying OH NOOOOO.

Liza oh poor Liza is a young girl who sent to some freaked out island for the dead basically. Led to believe she has cancer and that s
Undeniably Addicted to Books
RATING: 5 STARS

Where does one start with this review, honestly? Logan Keys gave us a YA dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel that was unlike anything I've ever read. Literally within seconds of finishing, I had to e-mail Logan and said "Holy hell in a hand basket. that was AMAZING!" If I could rate it 6 stars, I would. It left me with a deep book hangover, completely unable to read for a few days afterward.

Logan has expertly woven numerous elements into one grisly, heart-wrenching story. Romance, my
Michael Chambers
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually much for dystopian or YA, but Gods of Anthem had me hooked from the beginning. It's hard not to empathize with Liza as she struggles throughout the story to come to grips with her own existence, and Tommy, who wants nothing more than to be normal. The two of them redefine the term "unlikely allies" on their quest.

Rather than show us yet another band of survivors in a zombie apocalypse, we find the world having adapted to the crisis. Still, Gods of Anthem is no rosy, all-is-well,
Julie Ayling
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy for an arc review for my honest review. Wow gods of anthem was not what I expected. Zombies the special ones the city of ash the island of sickness amongst all this chaos there's a story of survival story of friendship and the story of love. I love how she's taken two different stories of two different souls and made them work together in one story. And to see how intertwines together I did not want this book to and and when it did I just can't wait for another one to find out ...more
Paperback Crack
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book that you need to read while at work, because you will get very annoyed if you have to put it down...
I LOVED this book!! They way it sucks you in and holds on until you make it to the end then leaves you wanting more. The build up of the characters have you falling in love from the start and wanting to know what they will do next in the face of extreme circumstances. Warning it leaves you on a hanger that will slowly drive you mad wanting to know what happens next.
Nicole Emerald Book Reviews  McCurdy
I have an absolute aversion to anything sci-fi or post-apocolyptic so when the opportunity presented itself to review a book in a genre I really had no care for I was both eager to step out of my comfort zone as well as anxious as I was pretty much prejudiced against it from the start. However, I made it through chapter one, more than eager and interested to continue on.
Gods of Anthem is a YA dystopian novel set in a fairly bleak world riddled with illness and ruled through fear but with a band
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Gods of Anthem 57 24 Feb 18, 2017 07:18AM
Is there a book two? 1 6 Oct 19, 2015 02:01PM

• This Would Be Paradise, Book 2 (This Would Be Paradise #2)
  • Odium III (The Dead Saga, #3)
  • The Turn
  • State of Decay: Omnibus
  • RecruitZ (Afterworld, #1)
  • The Dead Survive (The Dead Survive, #1)
  • Jenny Undead (The Thirteen, #1)
  • Even in Death (The Starborn Saga, #3)
  • Fear the Dead 1
  • Fugitives from Northwoods (The Northwoods Trilogy #1)
  • Love and Decay 3, Episode Three (Love and Decay 3, #3)
  • Irradiated (The Tunnel Trilogy, #1)
  • The Shadow Aspect (The Harvesting, #2)
  • Arcadium (Arcadium, #1)
  • Air
  • Slow Burn
  • The Ghoul Archipelago
Logan Keys says she’s not so much a writer as she is a soothsayer and preparer for those who are still blissfully unaware. Her stories aren’t dystopian but rather a warning for the next generation. When she’s not writing zombies, vampires, superheroes, and robots, she’s fighting against government over-reach and oligarchy using military tactics mixed with a little bit of poetry.

Logan’s currently

The Last City (3 books)
  • La La Land (The Last City, #2)
  • Lies and Legends (The Last City, #3)
“Those eyes, they were my own kind of madness.” 3 likes
“He told me I balance his life. This is worrisome. What I don't tell him is that he's like four people in one and I'm in no position to balance that type of chaos. What I don't tell him is that he cuts me deeply by punishing me with his lack of visits for asking him the tough questions as a real friend might. Or how I've never been so angry in all my life when I'd realise that's what he'd done. What I don't say is, "How dare you!" And what he doesn't say, I notice, is that he's sorry.” 1 likes