Start by marking “Soulmates Dissipate (Soulmates Dissipate, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soulmates Dissipate (Soulmates Dissipate, #1)

Soulmates Dissipate (Soulmates Dissipate #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  3,762 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews

Bringing the soulful, sexy, and totally uncensored voice of black women to readers everywhere, Mary B. Morrison is blazing a new trail in African American erotic fiction that has made her one of the most exciting, and most popular, authors writing today.

Soulmates Dissipate

Exquisite ebony-skinned fashion photographer Jada Diamond Tanner may have her pick of fine men, bu

Published May 15th 2000 by Booga Bear Poetry Group (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Soulmates Dissipate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soulmates Dissipate

Layne
Dec 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love terrible writing.
Shelves: book-discussion
*Spoilers ahead.

I can appreciate a fun, cheesy melodrama now and then, but this is just horrible. This is the first of a best-selling series by a well-known African-American author. I wish I could understand what people find interesting about it.

The writing is atrocious. Morrison's descriptions are totally redundant. Her "dark chocolate skin," his "caramel hand," her "dark chocolate thighs," his "caramel shoulders." So on and so forth. I think she tells about his "six foot frame" at least six t
Adra
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novel that you read more than once., March 1, 2007

This review is from: Soulmates Dissipate (Paperback)
I was blown away from the various turns and directions this book takes you on. Although the meat of the book pertains to a couple contemplating on taking their relationship to the next level,it provided a spritual context as well. I was impressed with minister in this book. One of favorite parts of the book is when the minister tells the congregation to pick a incarcerated pen-pal to write
Teaguem2005
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Read this before but cldnt remember. Liked it better this time around. The fact that they introduced each other using their first, middle, last names, plus still cracks me up but I digress. This was a really good read without slow spots. Many people really don't understand the soulmate concept but I understand that there are forces out there working against you sometimes that aim to interrupt your flow. Just because you find your soulmate doesn't mean you'll have your happily ever after. We ...more
Chella
Mar 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed. The story line had potential. I love a good drama, however this reminded me of a very low budget soap opera if there can even be such a thing. Can't believe I paid for this book. Jada is a beautiful african-american woman who finds a soulmate in Wellington. As their love blossoms, Jada is confronted with Melanie, a friend from Wellington's past and his monster of a mom Cynthia. As she battles these two evils Jada learns that happily ever after is not found in others, but i ...more
Pamela Greer
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
This is a good book..If you are familiar with Mary B. Morrison you know she writes a lot of books! and she is a VERY sensual writer. She is sensual in a good way, that is very thought provoking to the reader. Very tasteful. This is the first in the installment of about six novels that centers around Wellington and Jada Diamond. This book is just the beginning of a chance meeting that will span a lifetime literally! I enjoy Mary. B. Morrison's writing and this book was the one that started it all ...more
Sabrina
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not the type of book I was expecting to read! Based on the title I thought it would be a typical love story! Within the first few pages I realized I was in for a sensual, tantalizing story! Yay!! Good Reads thank you so much for this recommendation! I can't wait to read the sequel!
Naty
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this story!!! Couldn't wait to read the next one!
Nicole
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good series. It's not ghetto at all. The story line keeps you entertained and focused the whole time. Defiently a must read series....
Teleka
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent. I wished I would have gotten into Mary B Morrison when she first cam out with this book. Now I feel like I am playing catch-up.
Angie Riddick
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had read book before. interested read. looking forward to sequel.
Bridget
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this book were too much! I found myself rushing just to finish and move on.
Shea Sincere
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good read
Jan
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jada Diamond Tanner is Wellington Jones’ ‘Nubian Queen.’ Armani clad Wellington is her caramel lipped soul mate. They are perfect for one another until his status conscious mother gets involved. Cynthia arranges for her friend’s more appropriate daughter to stay at his home during her visit to the west coast.

Melanie slinks her way into Wellington’s bed – a soul mate should have more discretion and, I would hope, more loyalty.

Too much melodrama. Too much breast beating and other anatomical parts
Poupina
I'm pretty sure the author picked the most contrived and stereotypical names you can come up with - Jada, Wellington, Jazzmyne, Candice et al. Independent Black Woman, Jada, looks for her Mr Right. His "friend" gets pregnant to get him to marry her...(typical, right?) and Jada ends up with her Mr Right.
Unnecessarily overly descriptive throughout:
"His black silk pajama pants - imported from Italy - hung below his waistline...His bare caramel-candied chest looked like he'd hired a professional sc
Loretta
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soulmates Dissipate by Mary B. Morrison

Jada Diamond Tanner. In her name, lies excellence, beauty, intelligence and honesty.

She expected the finer things in life from those involved, and nothing less. As a photographer, she captured souls through the view her lens would provide. It was what she loved to do.

With men at her heels, Jada never lacked for companionship. What she did miss, was the fullness a relationship could provide.

Enter Wellington Jones...a man with the looks, means and willpower t
Stephanie
What a book! It was chock full of 4 D's... drama, deception, discrimination and disaster.That made for a perfect guilty pleasure.

SOULAMTES DISSIPATE is the story of Jada and Wellington, two people in love and and engaged to be married... but for how long? The two are made out to be this perfect couple, but that is soon tested when Melanie, a long-time friend of Wellington's family comes into the picture.
Wellington's mother is not fond of Jada, because she doesn't fit into her "class of people".
J
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
(FROM JACKET)Exquisite, ebony-skinned fashion photographer Jada Diamond Tanner may have her pick of fine men, but no one has captured her heart like gorgeous financial advisor Wellington Jones. From the moment of their first embrace, Jada is sure he is the soulmate she has waited for.
But while the love she shares with Wellington is exhilarating, Jada finds herself facing challenges she never could have imagined-from Melanie Thompson, bright, beautiful, and talented, but hungry for the love she
Trina
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves good romantic fiction.
Considering this was Mary B Morrison's very first published books I feel it was amazing even thought there were a few MINOR cracks in the armor. The story and plot was EXCELLENT! The one small beef I would add is that she tends to OVER describe certain things with in the text.

There was one point where she describes a rub and it is so vivid that you literally feel you know this rug or as if it is a part of your home. This is a GREAT tool used by many writers it is actually one you learn as you a
Joi
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicia
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I kinda struggled in the beginning because it was all mushy stuff and I am not much of a mushy person but when the drama began that's when I perked up. LOL! I like drama. Don't get me wrong I love a good love story but I can do with out the mushy stuff because unfortunately that only happens in fairytales. Anyway it turned out to be a very good book and I am going to start the sequel, Never again once more cause I must see what happens next. This is one I would recomm ...more
Zindzhi
Cool summer read. I initially picked it up to read, got thru the first two chapters then put it down. Then I was off work a few days and picked it back up and finished it the same day. Hot, steamy and somewhat realistic. However, some parts were not fleshed out too well...probably to conceal the sequels that follow this one. Still I'm looking forward to them. Mary B. Morrison is a pretty good author, though. So check it out in your spareness of time.
Teffany
Great book. Difficult to read OTHER books by this author because she uses the same characters from prior books, and spends the better half of the book trying to bring the reader up to speed. Doesn't make for an easy read. But this particular book was a great story, without TMI on each characters background.
Norman LaVelle
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the book, it seemed like it should be the beginning of a new soap. You will be surprised by the soul mates in the stories is all that I can say without giving away the story. Character discriptions started to bore me after awhile because they just seem to be redundant. Over all it was a good read.
Nardsbaby Reader
More Like A Sexual Revelation

I read this and I like that these were prominent blacks, who were willing to help people. That is very important. It seemed like they were more attached sexually than through the heart, and it was predictable. I will read part 2 just to see what unfolds. Maybe this should be the all African American soap opera we're missing.
Zezee
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed reading this book. I did not find the writing to be great but the story was entertaining. It was a nice book to read when I was in my romance/erotic/urban-fiction phase. I enjoy re-reading it and have done so many times.
Keisha Webb-Gibbs
This book should be read first in Mary B. Morrison's series of books that link Jada, Wellington and Darius. It was a good book cause it tied togethre all the other books in her series I read preivously.

Mariaelayna
Painfully slow read. Jada's character developed over the course of the book as she realized she lost focus of her dream. The explicit scenes, and they were graphic, honed they point of what happens when you lose yourself in a moment
Michelle Johnson-lane
I love Mary's style of writing. We have very similar writing styles. She's a great writer and works her magic with placing you right into the scene. When I grow up (become an accomplished author), I want to be just like Mary B. Morrison.
Rebecca
Love Soulmates Dissipate

Jada and Wellington went through a lot. They were soulmates. I really enjoyed this book. It had twists that weren't seen but understood. If you haven't read a Mary B. Morrison book this is a good one. I would recommend this book.
Love and hate 8 41 Nov 23, 2012 06:51PM
  • She Ain't the One (Soulmates Dissipate, #7)
  • Single Husbands
  • The Maintenance Man
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • The Other Woman
  • The Best-Kept Secret (Reverend Curtis Black, #3)
  • A Sin and a Shame
  • Shame on It All
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • Diary of a Mistress
Mary B. Morrison, New York Times best-selling author is the up and coming artist with a multiple book-to-film deal. Mary has seventeen published novels including her newest release, If I Can’t Have You.

She writes for Kensington Publishing Corporation as Mary B. Morrison and Grand Central Publishing as HoneyB. In her novels Mary addresses social and sexual issues while empowering her female charact
More about Mary B. Morrison...

Soulmates Dissipate (8 books)
  • Never Again Once More (Soulmates Dissipate, #2)
  • He's Just a Friend (Soulmates Dissipate, #3)
  • Somebody's Gotta Be on Top (Soulmates Dissipate, #4)
  • Nothing Has Ever Felt Like This (Soulmates Dissipate, #5)
  • When Somebody Loves You Back (Soulmates Dissipate, #6)
  • She Ain't the One (Soulmates Dissipate, #7)
  • Darius Jones (Soulmates Dissipate, #8 ; Honey Diaries, #4)