Start by marking “Bizenghast Collectors Edition V.1” as Want to Read:
Bizenghast Collectors Edition V.1

Bizenghast Collectors Edition V.1

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When a young girl moves to the forgotten town of Bizenghast, she uncovers a terrifying collection of lost souls that leads her to the brink of insanity. One thing that becomes painfully clear: The residences of Bizenghast are just dying to come home. Marty Legrow has crafted an unforgettable Gothic drama that will leave readers haunted long after the last page is turned.
ebook
Published January 10th 2017

Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley.]

I've had this comic book on my shelf to read and review for quite some time, I just didn't get to it until now. (I've known about it for quite, quite some time, back when the author posted on deviantART, and when I saw it on NetGalley, well, it reminded me that at some point, many years ago, I used to check on the related art from time to time.) It gathers the first chapters of the Bizenghast series, and I'd say it's more an introduction for now
Aleshia (Mad Scibrarian)
Bizenghast is a weird book, about as weird as it's name (which is the name of the town in Massachusetts that it takes place in). This collector's edition is a compilation of novels 1-3 and features a short author's note in the back and her reflections of the series 10 years after it has been originally published. There, I think the author sums up beautifully of why people like this book. Weird people like this book and they like it because it is weird. They find a little bit of themselves in the ...more
Nick
I found this book to be good, but not great. I think it would appeal more to someone really in tune with just how weird the story is, and the characters in the world. This is a bit like Alice in Wonderland as conceived by Edward Gorey, but far more brutal. The stakes are high, and from the very beginning there is no sense of the world being at all used to the concept of fair play.
Dinah, the main character, is dragooned into a seemingly endless task, and one of her friends does his best to help
Katie Yu
I loved the artworks and I want to read it over and over again.
Victoria Fuller
while I want to know what happens next I find that the art style is unappealing to me.
Renee Harper
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its a pretty dark book dealing with how the dead deal with their death. Very scary and creepy, not for the faint of heart. It almost steampunk but has just a touch of true gothic classics mixed in.
Ryan
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can not believe I left this manga on my TBR list for so long!!! Why? I was luckly enough to get a galley of the collectors edition which is good considering my library has been missing volumes one and three for a while.

Dinah has a contract and must help the Mausoleum send spirits forward. She has some help from her friend Brian. She is a little crazy to start off with, but mellows out as she continues her assignments for the Mausoleum. It makes me think that if the movies Pan’s Labyrinth and
Paul Franco
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
After a newspaper cutting to set the scene—thank you for that!—the story is told through pencil sketches and grayscale, in which an orphan girl claims ghosts haunt her. Deemed crazy, she escapes her aunt’s house with a boy and they explore a cemetery, finding an underground cathedral-like place that they really should not have entered. From there each chapter takes them on a different mission to help bring peace to ghosts, picking up some snarky advisors along the way.
She might have been a crazy
Wayne McCoy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Bizenghast Collectors Edition V. 1' by M. Alice LeGrow collects over 500 pages of a Gothic story. It has its creepy elements, but sometimes it's confusing.

Dinah is orphaned when her parents die in a fatal car crash. She goes to live with her aunt in Bizenghast, MA in a former school called St. Lyman's School for Boys. She has a hard time accepting the death of her parents and when we meet her she is having fits and her aunt doesn't know what to do with her. A boy who lives nearby becomes her fr
☾ Liz ☆ Stellar Kitten Book Reviews ☆
*I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I love the art style for the book although it's not always consistent. It's very detailed and has a gothic feel, although on some of the wider shots with the human characters the bodies are out of proportion. However, I really love looking at the nature and architecture scenes because of how incredibly detailed and beautiful they are. The story itself is interesting and strange (and a bit creepy). Dinah and Vincent stumble up
Susan
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found this graphic novel difficult to read. I didn't understand the storyline. I know it's about a girl who see ghosts with a friend named Vincent. I can't recommend reading or not reading this story. I think I may be missing something.

Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book free from the author/publisher from Netgalley. I was not obliged to write a favorable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Heather
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read these books when they were first released and I loved them then and I still love them now!

The story is great and I love the art! I also love that the clothing that Dinah wears is influenced by Japanese street fashion.
⋆ Amanda  ☾
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This manga makes me feel so nostalgic and the collector's edition is beautiful. Can't wait to get vol. 2.
Donna Sanders
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
found this book very disjointed and hard to follow. It was very very confusing and therefore difficult to read. I did not enjoy it at all.
Erika
Nov 30, 2017
Carmen8094
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Pubblicato per la prima volta nel 2005, Bizenghast è un fumetto gotico in otto parti, di cui le prime tre sono state riproposte quest'anno nel primo volume dell'edizione da collezione.

Protagonista è una ragazzina rimasta orfana a causa di un incidente stradale, Dinah, che va a vivere con la zia in una casa dell'immaginaria cittadina di Bizenghast, nel New England. L'edificio ha in passato ospitato una sorta di collegio, in cui probabilmente i ragazzi non venivano trattati nel migliore dei modi.
C
Jessica Rios
Apr 12, 2018
D Seer
May 19, 2018
M. Alice LeGrow is a female manga-influenced alternate comic book artist best known for her original English-language manga series Bizenghast. From the Savannah College of Art and Design, she earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Sequential Art.

As a young girl, Mary Alice LeGrow was not interested in comics since she grew up in Weisbaden, Germany where comics were not readily available. In her freshma
More about M. Alice LeGrow