Start by marking “Fat Families, Thin Families: How to Save Your Family from the Obesity Trap” as Want to Read:
Fat Families, Thin Families: How to Save Your Family from the Obesity Trap

Fat Families, Thin Families: How to Save Your Family from the Obesity Trap

2.71  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This comprehensive guide to diet and nutrition provides solid advice for families looking to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle. The four habits of healthy families--Plan Together, Prepare Together, Play Together, Portion Together--and possible integration strategies are thoroughly discussed as well as the Healthy Family for Life (HFL) diet plan, which contains both fa ...more
Published May 11th 2008 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about Fat Families, Thin Families, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Families, Thin Families

April
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Good reminder that I am in charge of what my kids eat. I find some advice by nutritionists like this unrealistic though. She goes through categories of foods "yes" "no" and "sometimes." She talks about treats like they are very very seldom--in a world of halloween parties at school, church, in the neighborhood and community before we even get to Halloween it is unrealistic to tell my kids no to candy as much as she is guiding me to!

I did like the ideas though to cut down on portion sizes and to
Lisa Topp
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is chock-full of information that will really shake up the way your family eats. If you are serious about making a change for life, this is the guide to go by. There are tips for grocery lists, meals, substitutions, exercise, etc. My only complaint, too many tip boxes that disrupted the flow of reading the book. It is also repetitive, rehashing information in different ways, but this could be helpful to some, as sometimes it takes saying things several times for it to make sense or rea ...more
chanceofbooks
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-read
She makes some really good points, but then she blows it by not following her own advice. She says to limit processed foods and sugars, and then her sample meal plans and grocery lists are full of sugary cereals and processed foods. This was frustrating for me. Also, she seemed so biased against large people and that really turned me off. However, I think she has a really important message, and I hope it's one that reaches more families. I think that perhaps I'm just not her target audience.
Lisa
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very informative. It was a reiteration of some things I had heard before, but there was also some new info in regards to making healthy everyday choices for all age groups in your family. I would recommend it as is was encouraging and we as a family were able to implement some small changes.
Diane Mueller
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Good advice to eat the basics and avoid the processed. Lots of words for a message that is important.
Roslyn Ross