Jump to ratings and reviews

Unshakeable: Your Guide to Financial Freedom

Market corrections are as constant as seasons are in nature. There have been 30 such corrections in the past 30 years, yet there's never been an action plan for how not only to survive, but thrive through each change in the stock market.

Building upon the principles in Money: Master the Game, Robbins offers the reader specific steps they can implement to protect their investments while maximizing their wealth. It's a detailed guide designed for investors, articulated in the common-sense, practical manner that the millions of loyal Robbins fans and students have come to expect and rely upon.

Few have navigated the turbulence of the stock market as adeptly and successfully as Tony Robbins. His proven, consistent success over decades makes him singularly qualified to help investors (both seasoned and first-timers alike) preserve and add to their investments.

256 pages, Paperback

First published November 14, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Anthony Robbins

152 books4,621 followers
For more than 30 years Tony Robbins' passion has been helping people BREAK THROUGH and take their lives to another level -- no matter how successful they already are -- in the areas that matter most: their business, personal finance, intimate relationships, families, careers and health.

Tony Robbins has helped more than 50 million people from more than 100 countries transform their lives and their businesses through his books, audio programs, health products, live events and personal coaching. He's been fortunate enough to work with everyone from presidents of countries to some of the true legends of entertainment, sports and the business world. But his work is not limited to Fortune 500 CEOs and athletes. He has a special passion for small-business owners, parents and students.

Being the Chairman of seven privately held companies and five holding companies in diverse industries keeps him busy. Many of his companies have become brands that are leaders in their category - from the award winning Namale Resort & Spa in the Fiji Islands, to Twinlab and Metabolife in the sports nutrition field, to the Anthony Robbins brand in personal and professional improvement.

Most of Tony's core strategies for creating breakthroughs have come from his work with some of the biggest names in the business world: He's had the privilege of modeling and distilling the strategies of leaders in some of the fastest-growing companies in the world. He's used these distinctions to help optimize and grow enterprises to new and more profitable levels.

One of the things Tony is most proud of is his humanitarian work through the non-profit Anthony Robbins Foundation. He's always believed that if we're blessed enough to have insight and economic opportunities, then we're also blessed enough to be able to give back. To those who much has been given, much is expected. Tony Robbins is extremely blessed to be able to feed more than two million people in 56 countries every year through his International Basket Brigade.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
580 (4%)
1 star
218 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,082 reviews
Profile Image for Tai Tai.
Author 10 books45 followers
August 2, 2019
There are 3 types of people in this world:
1. people who make things happen
2. people who watch things happen
3. and people who wonder "what the hell happened??”

Unfortunately, Tony has written this book for the 2nd type of person, who (IMO) if they follow his advice, will awaken as the 3rd type of person. I had read nearly all of Tony's work. And I'm sad to say, he went from "Awakening the Giant Within" to penning two books on money for a sleeping, lumbering, lazy-ass Rip Van Winkle. This book is for people who don't make things happen: they work so very hard in the 21st century grind (w/ student loans, inflation, shady bankers, etc) only to PARK their hard earned money in stocks at thirty with the hope of becoming a financially free nonagenarian? In this prosperous age of Youtube millionaires, viral hits, free advertising via social media, 3-D printing, countless apps, print-on-demand services, and more– all Tony can advise is diversification and patience??!! What millennial would do this?
LSS, we need a generation of MAKERS. After all, the stocks we'd be investing in would be in companies who MAKE. Well guess what, YOU can make too! Don't squander your hard earned cash to build someone else's empire. Don't be a passive investor, be an active INVENTOR. Isn't this what Tony did to become Tony? Did he not build a global brand, a slew of rich services, and a diverse array of products? Now-a-days, this has never been more possible for the little guy/girl just starting out. Tony found early success as a MAKER not as an investor in stocks. Should you succeed as a MAKER (which will take FAR less time), then become an investor (see Kiyosaki's Cash Flow Quadrant for more info). We need to inspire people to become creators, makers, and inventors, and yes, Tony's advice on how to conquer fear, guilt, etc will help you do so. His powerful oratory dissecting the inner game and the psychology of success has done as much for me. And today in large part to him and other gurus, I am financially free. But sadly, a financial guru for the 21st century, Tony is not.
- @Collabetition
Profile Image for Lorilin.
757 reviews243 followers
March 2, 2017
I wasn't very familiar with Tony Robbins until I watched a documentary about him on Netflix called I Am Not Your Guru. Yowza, that thing is crazy! I went from seeing Robbins as slightly weird and cheesy to seeing him as, well, still slightly weird but also...intriguing. I mean, the guy has presence, straight up. You can't help but be drawn to him. And he has interesting things to say in a unique way. That documentary definitely put him on my radar.

So I saw this book and decided to give it a read, not really knowing what to expect. After finishing it, I realize I probably should have started with a different book. Unshakeable is short (unlike many of his others), but it's both a rehash of a book he wrote in 2014 called MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom, as well as a teaser (it sounds like) for a book he's in the process of writing about gratitude and fulfillment. But apparently he wanted to write a shorter book summarizing Money: Master the Game in order to reach more people and help prevent them from being taken advantage of financially. So here we are.

The book is divided into three sections. Section 1 talks about basic money "rules." He explains financial terms, talks about the importance of investing in the stock market, explains the surprisingly predictable timing of market fluctuations over the years, and--most eye-opening for me--discusses all the hidden fees people end up paying, especially in 401(k)s. (Yikes, I had no idea.)

Section 2 talks about financial plans: the importance of avoiding financial loss, risk to reward ratios, taxes, and diversification. Much of this section is written by Robbins's coauthor, Peter Mallouk, a top financial advisor in the industry. And Section 3 talks about the psychology of wealth--basically how and why you should control your mind so that you don't, say, panic and sell everything when the market tanks.

Despite the fact that this book is simply the shorter "companion" to Money: Master the Game, I still learned a lot from it. And though I hate to admit to being upsold, I'm intrigued enough by this book to want to check out the 650-page tome it's based on. Robbins just knows how to tell a story and make generic, somewhat boring information seem relevant and exciting to us common folk on a very personal level. He's got skills, no doubt about it. But, to be fair, he also has good information to share, too. I read a lot of financial books and magazines, but I've never heard anyone talk about planning for retirement the way he does in here. It makes sense, and I appreciate the fresh perspective.

So, yes, Tony, you sold me. I'll go read your giant Money: Master the Game book. And I'll probably read your next book on gratitude or whatever it is. I'm hooked. No point in fighting it.

See more of my book reviews at www.BugBugBooks.com!
Profile Image for Baron Deschauer.
Author 25 books22 followers
March 11, 2017
I haven't read anything from Tony Robbins for a long time. This 'reading' was an audio book that I enjoyed while walking. The subject matter can be reduced to a few sentences (save 10-15% of your wealth; start saving when you are young, and remain disciplined; invest your monies in a low transaction-cost index tracker fund). But this is not a spoiler. The above is standard for any investment book. What Robbins does is bring a passion to his subject that is inspiring. I enjoyed the snippets of character insight into the world's great investors. He is fairly wealthy himself (circa $500m and counting) so he is now one of the boys.

I listened to the audio book. He read a few chapters. His voice is hard, raspy, and intense. The message, however, remained clear.
December 17, 2017
IMHO... What I learned reading this book... 1. Invest in index funds, 2. Do so by using a Tony Robbins affiliate. This book is an advertisement for one of his companies. Not unshakeable, more... unscrupulous.
1 review
June 20, 2017
Motivating but not as informative as expected.

Far too many "success and fail stories" but little relevant information about investment and markets. He refers a lot about his previous book (basically you "must" buy it to really get the secret to financial freedom) so that means you won't get it here.
Half the book is about his billionaire friends successfully managing funds overseeing billions and their philanthropic missions, but no technical analysis and real examples to learn from.

Long story short:
- You won't find much relevant info regarding actual investment and budgeting towards a financial plan.
- few good tips about self motivation (That's his field in my opinion) but only takes 2 pages out of hundreds.
- informative chapter about insurances, fair enough.
- if you want to read about the fantastic life of billionaires, then this is a book for you.
-if you're looking to get to the point by reading about investment, financial planning, stock market, etc. You won't find much here.

I rarely rate and review books, but I've to say I'm quite disappointed with this one.

Unfortunately for me was a waste of time.
Profile Image for ScienceOfSuccess.
106 reviews190 followers
July 16, 2018
First of all let me tell you, this book is free! I mean "all money" goes to charity so no bitching about poor content!

This masterpiece is 50% "Money master the game" promoting brochure, 30% scarcity with the promotion of some firms and funds that are the only good solution to all human problems, and 20% usual Tony Robbins "be a good man, feel good, you can do it... "

Please don't waste your time on this one.

Profile Image for Philomathory.
42 reviews7 followers
February 28, 2017
A few years ago, I read "Money: Master the Game" a beast of a book, clocking in at over 600 pages. I love this book, as it is filled with a plethora of information for the financially minded. It explains concepts from the simple to the complex and gives a range of options for diversifying your portfolio.

But since not everyone tingles with excitement at the thought of reading a(nother) personal finance book, I'm glad that Tony is back with a simpler version. "Unshakeable" deals with this idea that the market has its ups and downs (and being out of the market is a terrible idea), so it is up to us to come up with strategies to protect our investments.

One of my favorite things about this book compared to other books on personal finance is that Tony includes a whole section regarding the psychology of money. Tony Robbins is awesome for transforming people's lives by changing their mindsets. He talks about how we can have something called a "confirmation bias," in which we seek out information that confirms what we believe.

I am guilty of that. When researching a product I'd like to buy, I'll search dozens of websites and reviews. In reality, I'm not looking for feedback, rather looking for confirmation that I'm making the right decision.

To combat this, when it comes to a new investment, ask yourself, "What am I failing to see and anticipate? What's the downside? Where could I be wrong? How can I deepen my knowledge?"

If you are new to personal finance or are looking to brush up on your skills, I would definitely recommend this book. You may still find that you want to delve in deeper with "Money: Master the Game," but "Unshakeable" is great for giving a basic idea of what investing looks like and the common mistakes that cost people thousands.

[DISCLAIMER: I applied to be on the book launch team and was jumping for joy when I was selected. I received an advanced copy of the ebook for free, which I immediately devoured. My opinions are my own, and I only recommend books I truly enjoyed.]
Profile Image for Ahn Mur.
126 reviews
January 29, 2020

EDIT: Though I still enjoyed Unshakeable and would recommend it, I recently read I Will Teach You to Be Rich by Ramit Sethi and it was everything I wanted Unshakeable to be.
Sethi's book gave me the concrete strategies and specific details I needed to implement the ideas Tony talks about in Unshakeable.

Ended up handing this off to a friend after finishing it because I think it's a good way to start thinking about investing if you're totally green to it. Tony Robbins's work is engaging, clear, and concise. You'll learn a lot of fundamental financial thinking. It's not perfect, but at the very least it's worth skimming (key information is bolded, making the material easy to browse).

Notes:

*Start saving when you are young, and remain disciplined. Because of compound interest, this is actually more powerful than investing more aggressively later on in life. Auto pay yourself 20% of your income. The biggest danger is being out of the market.
*Invest in index funds with low transaction fees. By buying low-cost, broad-market index funds and holding them forever, you’ll receive your fair share of whatever return the financial market will provide over the long-term.
*Being unshakeable = a state of mind! Any decision made in a state of fear is likely to be wrong.
*Banking fees matter!

The Unshakeable Core Principles:
1. Don’t Lose Money
2. Asymmetric Risk / Reward
3. Tax efficiency
4. Diversification

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”
― Albert Einstein

*Fund Types*
Hedge fund: private fund for the high net worth investors, big management fees and share in profits
Mutual fund: public fund available to anyone, actively managed by a team
Index fund: no manager, the fund simply owns all the stocks in the index
Profile Image for Bartosz Majewski.
278 reviews216 followers
February 17, 2019
Unfortunately Tony didn't mention in his marketing that this book is essentially a summary of Money: master the game and should not be bought by people who have read it. I did read money: master the game and enjoyed it very much so got zero value out of Unshakeable. If you've already read Money: Master the game this book has no value to you. If you haven't my suggestion is to read the original which is longer and much more detailed.
602 reviews19 followers
March 29, 2017
If you don't want to devote the time to reading Robbins's "Money: Master the Game" (it's over 600 pages), consider reading this much more concise companion volume. This book is a great primer for learning the basics of finances/investing and applying them in practical ways. The stats quoted throughout the book are surprising and uniquely informative. (Although we live in scary and uncertain times, that's no excuse to not still plan for the future by gathering data and making educated decisions.)
Profile Image for Wendy.
159 reviews10 followers
January 23, 2018
I am weak when it comes to understanding how financial markets work. This audiobook helped me understand the concepts presented. I highly recommend it to anyone who is just starting out investing, or just wants to learn more. I will be purchasing a print version as a reference.
Profile Image for Ion Bargan.
80 reviews76 followers
June 28, 2017
Great advices for building an unshakeable financial freedom. I really liked the information that during the last 100 years in the economy there were always ups and downs and that's why you don't need to postpone some of your investments and business ideas. "Winter is coming..." principle is also very powerful. We need to prepare ourselves for harder times that might come. At the end of the book, Tony Robbins and Peter Mallouk are talking about how to protect yourself and your family. One of my favorite quotes from this part of the book is — ”If you have insurance on your cell phone but not on your life, we need to talk.”
Profile Image for Pierre.
14 reviews25 followers
June 25, 2017
This is a decent book to pick up if you haven't heard of Tony Robbins and you want to see what all the fuss is about before you start reading his behemoth financial advice manual, Money - Master the Game. However, if you have read that 600-page brick, or if you have a decent grasp of personal finance, you won't find much in here that you didn't already know.

The majority of the wisdom imparted in its 200-odd can be distilled into three tips:

- Only by investing into the stock market (becoming an "owner" rather than a "consumer") will you manage to get the kind of returns which will enable you to achieve financial independence.
- By investing, you will reap much higher returns than keeping your savings in cash and, by holding onto your investments on the long term, you will reap the massive benefits of compounding.
- By choosing low-fee index funds (which try to mimic the market as closely as possible) over their pricier actively managed counterparts (which try to beat the market), you will avoid paying fees that will cost you thousands in lost potential returns over, say, 30 years of investing.

Unfortunately, there is little more to take from the book than this. If you have looked at opening cash savings accounts in recent years, you will be painfully aware of how pathetic the returns on cash are. And if you have read any kind of business news over the past 18 months, you will know that tens of billions in savings have been moved from active funds to passive index funds, and you will know why that is - i.e. that the latter actually perform better than the former on average, and don't cost an arm and a leg in fees.

Other chapters cover the importance of seeking the help of a professional financial advisor if you have a significant amount of savings or assets, and the importance of differentiating between a true fiduciary and someone who is simply a broker trying to sell you financial products (this is a US-only problem however - as Robbins explains, every financial advisor here in the UK must be a fiduciary). There is also the obligatory chapter extolling the virtues of having a positive, grateful outlook on life - Robbins calls it Grace, but it is the same thing as what is called for by every self-help coach/speaker out there. And that's about it.

Overall I like Robbins. I think that, when you look beyond the standard life/success coach veneer, his advice is solid, and reading Money a couple of years back definitely helped me realise the importance of investing in the stock market and the potential of compounding in building your finances over time. It's just that Unshakable does not have enough meat on the bone, even if the bone itself is solid advice. For example, Robbins (rightly) emphasises how vital it is to diversify your portfolio of investments in order to avoid being hit too hard by any single market event - however, if you want to learn what a solid, diversified portfolio actually looks like, you'll have to buy the other book. This ultimately makes Unshakablefeel like little more than a £15 advertisement for the main book and for the financial advice services offered by Robbins' companies or companies that he is associated with. This book is co-written by Peter Mallouk of Creative Planning and, although it's never rammed down your throat, Robbins does invite you to check out their website multiple times.

Tony Robbins is a solid financial advice commentator, but do yourself a favour - if you are truly serious about improving your finances, pick up Money - Master the Game instead of this book.
10 reviews2 followers
March 6, 2017
First of all, I like anything published by Tony and I have spent a lot of money on his books and courses. Second, the book is giving a very good advices on investment , saving and wealth mindset.
The author is experienced in personal development. So, he mentioned that the most important thing is fulfillment and gratitude as most of us think that more money will give them more joy or solve all of their problems. In my opinion this is true because many wealthy people are not happier and sometimes they are feeling worse than they was when they don’t have money. You can notice this if you know someone who have a lot of money. Sometimes you are happier than him. Because he always think about his wealth and overwhelm himself with his investment. In addition, some wealthy people don’t have a comfortable sleep, because the money is dominating all of their thinking.

The wonderful concept about money that he mentioned on his book that it magnifies who you are. In another word, if you are bad it will magnify you…etc. So, the take away here is to be generous and having good intentions first before you have the money. In my opinion, being a person with a good intention is a preparation for you to act good when you will have money because anyone who master the art of saving and investing could easily have an abundance in money.

He also stressed on the point of diversification and the importance to diversify your investment on multiple countries and multiple investment sectors. However, at the end of his book he mentioned that this is not a financial advise that you follow blindly. You need to involve your thinking and the opinion of your financial advisor before investing.
Profile Image for Jay Pruitt.
221 reviews14 followers
August 27, 2020
Unshakeable covers some general topics for those seeking to build a nest egg. In many respects, I'd say the philosophy espoused can be summed up as "buy and hold index funds". The idea here being that the stock market goes up and down, and those trying to "time" their entry and exit are likely to "buy high and sell low" rather than "buy low and sell high". I can understand the reasoning behind this philosophy, but I believe (particularly today) that there is an inherent danger in following this path. Investors buying prior to the Great Depression had to wait nearly 20 years before recovering losses. Robbins also believes in buying passively-managed funds such as index funds, in order to reduce the burden of fees. I tend to agree that fee drag can make the difference between a mediocre investment return, and an exceptional, compounded return. But, not all indexes are right for a given time, and a successful advisor can help in the choosing. Overall, I thought Unshakeable was a reasonable attempt to cover a challenging topic. But it felt like it was dated, having been written years ago.
Profile Image for Paige Gordon.
517 reviews29 followers
March 13, 2017
Although I loved Tony's first finance book (Money Master the Game), I will admit that he did get a bit wordy at times. It was a great book, but it just wasn't accessible to the average reader because of it's length. Unshakeable fixed that issue. Distilling down all the most essential facts from MMG and adding some really interesting things that Tony's learned since then, Unshakeable is a must read for anyone looking to gain a better understanding of the financial world and how they should go about navigating it (and in my opinion, Everyone should be trying to do that, so everyone should read this book). It sheds light on the truth regarding some of the biggest fears we have and lies we believe about the stock market and gives you the steps and motivation you need to start to plan for and secure your financial future. Buy it, read it, and anytime you're considering doing something based out of fear, read it again. That's my advice!

Favorite Quote: "Remember people can be sincere - and sincerely wrong."
Profile Image for Bibliovoracious.
339 reviews27 followers
Read
September 21, 2019
I'm on the fence what I think about this. Detailed guide to investing - true. Advertising for investment product Tony owns? True. Ghost-written, with some expletives to mimic Tony's style - true. Rooted in a genuine desire to do good and help people? True.

Encompassing the real big picture instead of the myopic "under capitalism we will have limitless endless expansion" worldview? False.
Profile Image for NormaCenva.
1,156 reviews82 followers
June 1, 2017
This is a book that is geared specifically for the US audience. And a lot of it is not applicable (finance wise) for me as a UK resident. However, I did enjoy it. One of the main things in the book that was helpful was the explanations of the mindset needed to succeed in building your financial independence.
Profile Image for Jeff.
122 reviews
November 17, 2017
Unshakeable is the sequel to one of my favourite personal finance books: Money Master the Game. While there isn't a ton of new material in the sequel (most of it is a condensed version of Money), the added content is what I appreciated the most and sets Tony apart from other finance gurus - his complete understanding of the psychology required for successful investing. The principles and prescriptive methods within enable stress-free, risk-mitigated investing.
-fees rob your income
-do not underestimate the importance of compounding - you CANNOT earn your way to financial Freedom without compounding investments
-Target saving 20 times your annual income (this is a conservative average, and everyone will have to figure out what is right for them, but important to understand what order of magnitude)
-Paying yourself first is a well-understood principle, but many don't realize you can/should also have to give yourself raises by regularly increasing the amount of money that is deducted and invested every month
-It has been proven that the stock market is by far the best place to invest your money for growth
-There is a market correction every year and the biggest risk to investing in the stock market is not a correction but not being in the market
-Experts intentionally create drama to drive people in and out of the market so that they can make their fees - ignore the drama it's all irrelevant noise
-Since 1900 there has been a correction on average every year and on average they come out of the correction within 59 days
-Bear markets last a month to two years but they're always followed by the spring; when people get super pessimistic you just need to reread books about staying the course
-Best time to buy is when people are very pessimistic
-The stock market is a vehicle for transferring wealth from the impatient to the patient
-Even if your timing of investment is the worst possible it is still better than not investing at all
-Actively traded funds have major tax implications because they're always buying and selling as opposed to an index fund which buying holds over the long-term so you do not trigger tax implications
-When looking for an advisor ensure they do not receive any commissions for particular product as well as not being affiliated with a broker
-Ask a prospective financial advisor what their philosophy is on investing and ensure that they don't think that they can beat the market
-Core four principles to relentlessly pursue your investment strategy
1. avoid losing money because of how difficult it is to recoup your losses; asset allocation ensures you don't lose when you don't understand or predict a scenario
2. asymmetric risk-reward meaning taking small risks with very large upside e.g. invest in undervalued stocks; when the market is down invest in companies that are sure to rebound
3. tax efficiency- Maximize contributions to tax-deferred e.g. RRSP; Focus on your net after tax returns this is the real money in your pocket
4. diversification- There are four kinds of diversification: within an asset class; among asset classes; across geographies and across currencies; across time meaning dollar cost averaging as nobody knows the right time to buy
-Have a review done of your employers investment firms strategy and what fees they pay
-Invest in MLPs when the price of gas and oil goes down because they are protected from this they are like a toll collector for the pipeline
-Ray dalio believes that if you have 15 uncorrelated Investments you'll have a five-fold return
-Think of a bear market as a sale it's the best time to buy because everything is at a discount
-Four very dangerous words in investing are "this time is different" every time there's a major crash everybody feels like it's different but it isn't
-The best investors know that the doom never lasts and the market always rebounds
-In order to be able to build a financial cushion so that you're never forced to sell your stocks you have to have saved up enough to cover tough times (invested in bonds)
-Diversify your portfolio beyond stocks you can invest in real estate, real estate investment trust (REITs) as well as physical assets like metals. Private Equity Funds, art, wine or other examples
-Do not invest in hedge funds they don't perform as well as the market also gold does not provide any income and historically has never performed as well as the market during extended periods
-Asset allocation is the number one driver of your portfolios returns but many base asset allocation on your age or your supposed to risk tolerance which is wrong.
-Psychology either makes you or breaks you so you must have a system in place to ensure that you behave according to your plan
-Saving: saving 20% of each paycheck and every bonus
-Be careful of confirmation bias we tend to want to buy and hold things that we already own also seek opinions that differ from your own
-Be careful with recency bias recent events are never a good indicator of long-term trends
-Emotions cause us to buy high and sell low which is the opposite of what you want so you must have a strategy to stick to
-Avoid all financial news and check your portfolio only once a year at time of rebalancing; Instead of spending your time watching financial news spend the same amount of time researching how successful long-term investors do it
-One of the keys of fulfillment is progress and learning always keep progressing and growing
-The key to fulfillment is giving not receiving many people get rich and still don't feel fulfilled - its those that give away and are generous and feel fulfilled
-Enjoy fulfillment and be happy TODAY with what you have along the journey to well don't wait until the end when you are wealthy enjoy the wealth you have today
-We cannot control all the events in our life but we can control what they mean to us and how we react to them
-Our brain was designed for survival is always looking for risks and threats as a result if you let it behave that way you always live in a state of fear and stress
-Your mental state is based on your most recent thought so control your thoughts so that you are grateful and fulfilled at all times
-Commit to enjoying your life irrespective of what your conditions are or what's happening around you at the time
-There's nothing wrong with having fearful thoughts it's completely natural what you have to do is not believe them and distance yourself from them
-Give yourself 90 seconds to acknowledge and negative feeling and then let it pass find gratitude and change your mindset this will become a habit if you do it often (I have been doing this since reading the book and it is life-altering)
-In the last chapter he has a 2 minute meditation technique for dealing with a very difficult situation where you feel gratitude and then ask your heart for guidance on how to deal with the situation. Not tried it as of yet
-Setup a durable power of attorney for both your finances as well as your end-of-life decisions
-Set up your children's inheritance so that they don't receive it all until they are mature enough to be able to handle it
-Look into tax agency rules for gifting you could be able to give your children money and have a tax advantage while you're still alive
-Wealthy people own nothing and control everything (important reminder of something that is not well understood) look at setting up a trust transfer your assets into estate to avoid taxes upon your death
Profile Image for Chris.
Author 2 books5 followers
March 16, 2017
The market can be volatile, but if you stay with it and don't panic when times get bad, you usually turn out okay. Good times almost always follow bad times in the world of investing. Bull markets follow bear markets, etc. This seems to be the core thesis of the book. As I'm a millennial who came into my 20s when the stock market was in deep, deep trouble, and thus I thought investing was bad/too risky, this was valuable to learn. I also liked his insight into investment advisors, brokers, and other things to avoid. It was a good education for me, someone fairly new to taking an active interest in investing.

...But there were some downsides too. As a writer, I found the excessive exclamation marks maddening, particularly because many of them didn't even follow phrases that were exclamations. And the writing style seems like something a student would do - constantly restating "Now that I've told you about..." and "Now that you've learned that it's smart to..." Just lots of unnecessary repetition. In fact, he repeats the ideas about staying with your investments even though tough times maybe over a dozen times.

While the first half of the book felt like valuable information, the second half seemed a lot of the standard Tony Robbins material (make a choice to never be unhappy again, etc.), so if you love that, you might like the second half (and if you love the standard Tony Robbins material, you've probably already heard Tony talk about it, so it's not necessarily new). Otherwise, it just feels like unnecessary padding to get this up to almost 200 pages. Yes, investing takes some mental toughness, but I found this part skippable and in fact did start skimming.

So, some good advice for sure, but it could've been a really, really good 50-page book rather than a "yeah, it's pretty good" 200-page book. A good editor is a worthy investment too.
1 review1 follower
December 27, 2020
I literally created a profile here on goodreads only to give this book 1-star review. This is by far the worst book I ever bought and read. It just talks about investing into safe index funds and the whole thing feels like a huge advertisement for a company where Tony Robbins serves on the board of directors and is a chief of investor psychology. On one hand he talks how you shouldn't listen to financial advisors that just recommend funds from which they get fees for bringing clients and then on the other hand Tony himself keeps recommending and talking about this damn company that he works for. Talk about being a hypocrite. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. The only good thing about it is that apparently all of the profits from book sales are donated to charity, but why would he even need book sale profits when he gets a free advertisement for his company and people will bring him millions of dollars so his company can then invest into index funds and collect a fee no matter how those funds perform. I can't see a reason why anyone in their right mind would give this book more than 2 or 3-star rating.
2 reviews
December 31, 2017
Please don't buy this book; per Mr. Robbin's here's what you need to do.

1. Buy Index Funds (only from Vanguard ... because Mr. John Bogle has endorsed the book).
2. Diversify...

That's It.... Oh and the last chapter is about promoting what he's probably good at.... a motivational speaker. If it was that easy... everyone would've been financially secure! Let's not forget his constant reminder and promotion of Creating Planning, in which he is an investor / shareholder (or whatever).

I wish Mr. Robbins would let us know how much he has invested in Index Funds.... here's the answer.....Nil!

If you want a good investing book, read the Intelligent Investor!
Profile Image for Dioni (Bookie Mee).
167 reviews36 followers
September 18, 2022
I knew about this book from Youtube's Investing with Rose / It's Your Girl Rose, as with I Will Teach You to Be Rich, both of which I read back to back, so I can't help comparing them. While you can kinda see what position Ramit of IWT was talking from (someone who got rich selling courses), Tony Robbins is slightly more confusing. In the book he often uses the phrase "you and me", suggesting that him and we the reader, are on the same level in terms of finance and financial education. Said by someone who has private jets to go places.

The book was written with Peter Mallouk, who is the CEO of Creative Planning - a wealth management firm. The amount of times that Tony refers readers to getasecondopinion.com (which directs you to Creative Planning website) in the book seems seedy. I almost stopped reading every time he recommends this company, but thought let me push through a bit to see what he has to say. I did finish the book, and only now I noticed there's disclaimer at the beginning of the book that Tony has financial incentives to refer investors to Creative Planning, and in which he is also a board member. How infuriating. So the whole book is really an advertisement for his management fund.

I actually did contact Creative Planning mid reading, as part research, part curiosity. They said there's a minimum requirement of 100K USD to use their service for non-US investors, so it didn't go really far. The back of the book says that 100% of the profits from the book is donated to Feeding America, a hunger relief organisation. As I said, confusing.

There are probably some good advices in the book for beginner investors, but I can't get over how seedy this guy seems. I had a glimpse of the Netflix documentary, and he looks and sounds like a churchy motivational speaker, which is exactly the type of person I don't trust. I should've probably researched a bit more before reading the whole book, but there you go. My punishment for listening to someone on Youtube.
Profile Image for Melanie Kilsby.
Author 2 books270 followers
March 30, 2022
A very practical guide to investing, though a little disjointed.

I didn't like the evolutionary references and new age-ness to mindset. I think mindset is huge as a christian to think in such a way that is biblical. There is many scriptures that are specific in how we should think and react; Like being wise, especially with our finances. Diligently seeking God through His word. Renewing our minds daily, as well as meditating on God's word. Bringing a lot of the advice and guidance through a content life as we faithfully and diligently practice and abide by those words.

Focusing on gratitude is something we should be doing as a believer in Christ and a follower. Reading His word will help direct our paths to do just that.

I understand that Tony is writing to the masses and doesn't want to leave anyone out, but it appears he may be a christian man and I would then expect him to write from that narrative, as opposed to a one world religion type. But perhaps, he is not a Christian and therefore, his position throughout this work would have made more sense to me. I truly have no idea where he stands in his faith, but in this book it felt all over the place. A little of this. A little of that. And perhaps, should have just all-together been left out, as it was confusing for the reader.

Overall, this is a good book for those wanting practical investing insight from notable sources. They do advertise a lot for their company and that was prevalent but not mandatory for gaining the practical insight, which was nice. The added bonus of this book is that the proceeds do go into a charitable work, feeding those in need.

My final thoughts on this book...Eat the meat and spit out the bones!
Profile Image for إسلام جمال.
Author 4 books1,627 followers

Portfolio Diversification
Global Investments
27 reviews9 followers
April 1, 2021
Bignamino di educazione finanziaria un po' noioso, con molti riferimenti alle aziende di Tony Robbins stesso e pillole di motivazione già sentite. Per giunta alcuni tipi di investimenti non sono disponibili in Italia, e i consigli sui fondi pensionistici sono semplicemente inapplicabili.

Un bel pacco di cazzate "healthy, wealthy, and wise". Consiglio il ben più intenso Tools of Titans di Ferriss come alternativa.
Profile Image for Hayley Hu.
90 reviews
August 7, 2021
One of the good books to remind me regularly that we have to invest rationally instead of chasing the fads. I pretty much skipped the entire last chapter BTW.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,082 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.