Start by marking “Until We Win” as Want to Read:
Until We Win

Until We Win

A hundred years ago, women didn't have the vote. When Lizzy Frost becomes involved with the fledgling Suffragette movement, it expands her horizons in ways she never could have imagined. From time spent in prison for the cause, to new relationships with fellow campaigners, Lizzy's struggle for votes for women sets her heart on fire. Particularly suitable for struggling, re ...more
Published January 15th 2017 by Barrington Stoke Ltd (first published January 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Until We Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until We Win

Miss E
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Informative and enjoyable read. The cover art is clever too. An interesting story based on real-life events that sends an fundamental message to younger readers about the importance of voting and standing up for your rights.
Rachael
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to read more Suffragette books this year to mark the 100 years since women got the vote. This was a good starter.
L.H. Johnson
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Until We Win by Linda Newbery is a slender, accessible novella touching upon a key point in suffragette history. It's framed through the perspective of Lizzy, an everygirl who comes across the work of the suffragettes and becomes a passionate supporter of the cause. Believing in Deeds Not Words, she undertakes action until she - like her sisters - is imprisoned. The backdrop to all of this is the build up to World War One, and there's a little introduction and prologue delivered retrospectively ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in the times of the suffragette movement we meet Lizzy whom works hard at her job, likes cycling and becomes a Votes For Women campaigner as she meets Julia and Elsie as well as encountering a few famous names too!

As she and her fellow supporters get into trouble with the police, land in prison and pay for their deeds, we see how they become strong women in wartime England as they get set to put themselves to use in their own roles separate from the men.

This was a short but historically rich
Kirsty
Really good.
Emma
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Informative and enjoyable read. The cover art is clever too. An interesting story based on real-life events that sends an important message to younger readers about the importance of voting.
Carla Lee
Sep 27, 2017
Alyce Hunt
I'm always a big fan of Barrington Stoke collaborations. I think it's brilliant that they make the effort to target teenagers who struggle to read or might be less inclined to pick up more difficult books.
This story is a great way for young people to learn about the suffragette movement. It explains the Cat and Mouse Act and features some cameos from high-profile suffragettes, even going so far as to show our protagonist, Lizzy, in jail for campaigning!
However, it ends on a heavy-handed note wh
Aimee
Alexandra Wern
Feb 04, 2018
Beatrice
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Matnyttig men ganska platt suffragetthistoria.
Kitt
Pia
Nov 08, 2017
Laura Roche
Mar 17, 2018
Linda Iris Newbery (born 12 August 1952, in Romford, Essex) is a British writer known best for young-adult fiction—where she entered the market, although she has broadened her range to encompass all ages. She published her first novel Run with the Hare in 1988, while still working as an English teacher in a comprehensive school. She became a full-time writer in 2000.
Linda is a regular tutor for th