Start by marking “Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence” as Want to Read:

Experienced martial artist and veteran correction officer Sgt. Rory Miller distills what he has learned from jailhouse brawls, tactical operations and ambushes to explore the differences between martial arts and the subject martial arts were designed to deal with: Violence. Sgt. Miller introduces the myths, metaphors and expectations that most martial artists have about wh ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Tradeselect (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Meditations on Violence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditations on Violence

Greg
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before I start rambling on about things, I want to say that this book is amazing.

I came across it because Sam Harris praised it in Free Will. So maybe you'll give me a little bit of leeway and consider reading it yourself, since it's not just another of those goony MMA books that I read from time to time.

Wait, did I just sort of say you should read this book? I guess I did. This is a book about how to stay alive in the unfortunate circumstance that real violence comes suddenly into your life. I
Jake
I first became aware of Rory Miller when he started posting on the Uechi-Ryu.Com forums several years ago (or maybe he was posting there first, and then I started; I can’t really remember). I was, at the time, a youthful aspiring martial arts instructor, just having gotten involved in Tony Blauer’s Personal Defense Readiness program, a new black belt in Aikido, and a student of a fraudulent and abusive kung fu instructor (though obviously I didn’t know it at the time). I thought I knew a lot mor ...more
Kater Cheek
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended on Amazon for people who liked THE GIFT OF FEAR, and since my library didn't have it, I took a chance and bought a copy. Wow. It's completely changed the way I feel about my martial arts training. Some of the writing is a little blocky, but he covers important factors of violence that are never discussed in the dojo.

Most importantly, I think, Sgt. Miller talks about the effects that stress hormones have on the human body, and how they make you behave. These behaviors (f
Eric Plume
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Martial Artists, Would-Be Martial Artists, Authors, Abuse Survivors
Shelves: favorites, r-and-d
Once again, quick establishing of bias; I am friends with the author. That doesn't change my opinion of his work, considering I became a fan of his writings before I had the good fortune to meet him.

Before I picked it up, I'd heard that Meditations on Violence was required reading for several specialist branches of law enforcement, and could be found on the bookshelves of many martial arts dojos.

After reading, I can see why.

In a concise, clear and often glibly humorous style, Miller breaks do
Mylon Pruett
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: instructional
"Never, ever, ever ignore what your eyes see because it isn’t what you imagined. And strive to always know the difference between what your eyes are seeing and what your brain is adding."

I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand I loved the discussion it creates around real, and imagined violence. On the other the author seems of a contradictory mindset; I'll talk about that in a moment but first the things I liked. I loved that he strongly urges readers to understand the difference bet
Liralen
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is very much a one-man meditation on experience with real violence against the stories and trainings of various martial arts. Miller is a prison guard and has seen a lot of real violence and people who have committed it on a regular basis, and this book is entirely about both the validity and doubt that one should use to regard anything one is taught.

I like that he talks about the blind spots of various methods of training, and what various martial arts are good for. I love that he starts w
Carolyn
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
My friend chose this book for our reading group because we are also all writers--and she thought it would help us to write more realistic fight scenes. Here are some of my reactions to this book, in no particular order:
* After reading it, I do feel more prepared to write realistic fight scenes.
* It was very disturbing.
* It was also very interesting. I was surprised to find that I couldn't put it down.
* There were a lot of insights that really rang true to me, even though they challenged my assu
Andy Arnold
Good not great

I take martial arts and have developed a slight interest in self-defense. Enjoyed Miller's perspective in this book. Easy read. Miller shares his real world, bare knuckle experience in law enforcement and as a prison guard.

Bottom line is avoidance is the best self-defense strategy. Stay away from sketchy people and sketchy places. Know what to look for and trust your intuition. Also, adrenaline will dampen the benefits of training in attack mode, assuming the rare occurrence that
Chad
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: defense
First I must thank Sam Harris for recommending this book.

This book is incredible. I am trying to find other words right now but can’t. So much to think about. So much to follow up on.

I keep trying to find a way to sum this book up in a way that does it justice. I can’t do it. Just read it. Hopefully you get out of it what I did. If not, then I am sorry, you wasted a few hours. There are worse things.
Dani
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
3,5 stars.

I have a hard time rating this book. Parts of it are amazing, offering an unflinching, naked look at the structure of violence and it's physical and psychological effects. The chapters about the different types and patterns of violence, the effect of the discharged neuro-chemical cocktail on victims of assault and the benefits and dangers of combat training are extremely informative and well worth reading.

I enjoyed Miller's voice - this is a seriously hardened guy who absolutely refuse
JP Andrews
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Wow, where to even begin.

It's tempting and easy to say this is a book about violence, but it's not. It's a book about the reality of of violence, how it plays out, our beliefs about it, the differences between those things, and the affect those differences have on our decision making.

In my teens I was involved with the Police Explorer program. As an adult I've been a correctional officer in the USMC, an armed security guard, a cab driver in a big city, and a licensed repossession agent. I've ste
Heather
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating look into the world of criminal violence from the standpoint of a corrections officer who is also a trained martial artist. He talks about the gap between a stylized fight and what a real fight looks like, and says there is really no better way to prepare for a fight than, well, to be in one. And since most of us will live our entire lives without actually getting into a real fight, most of us, including martial arts experts, are ill prepared to deal with it.

This book skims
Jacob
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
From the title and backtext, I was expecting a book discussing martial arts and movie violence and how they are different from real-world violence. I don't really buy into the "movie violence desensitizes you to real violence" line since my own (limited) experience with real violence has been entirely different in terms of how my body responds. I thought this book might support or refute my opinion and I was looking forward to finding out why.

This book does talk about the difference between mart
Richard
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Update: having reread this for the first time in at least five years, I'm surprised by just how many flaws I missed the first time. In no particular order:

- Even this early in his writing career he seems incapable of remembering that he has already told anecdotes in earlier chapters or of knowing when he has made his point; nobody should spend 40 pages restating the same assertion, much less one as easy to comprehend as "violence is different than media portrayals". Did he not have an editor?

- H
Brian
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I think Miller's book offers what the title promises, but it could've been a lot better. One of the book's strengths is in its advice on how to not act/look like a victim, to stay alert and assess threats wherever you go. It might feel weird at first, but it's good practice for anyone but the inveterate homebody.

While I think this book had some valuable insights, the author's posturing really started to get to me by the end. The subtitle suggests that this book is a thoughtful comparison of the
James
Superb. This should be considered a companion volume to Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear. Like that book, Meditations on Violence offers a lot of sound information, well organized and clearly presented, about how to avoid dangerous people and situations as much as possible and cope with them most effectively when you can't avoid them. It debunks a lot of the hype we hear too often about the martial arts, showing how they can be of value and also the ways in which they don't prepare us. Based o ...more
Beau Johnston
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, self-help
This is an interesting book that covers a subject that most traditional martial-arts instructors won't cover in the dojo..... the impact of real world violence.

I have already encountered some of the issues they discuss; and the ones I haven't personally encountered, I have no desire to.

The information serves as a nice little reminder to those martial-arts practitioners who place a little too much importance in the color of their belt; you are not ten foot tall and bullet proof.
Corey
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary:
This book was recommended to my by a friend with a wonderful tea garden who is also trying to read more books. Most of the books he's picked up are non-fiction too and have some overlap with the areas I am trying to read more in.

This one doesn't necessarily fit into the areas I'm trying to read more of but I have read a few martial arts books, mostly on aikido, and was keen to hear more from an author who has dealt with violence as a constant throughout their life.

Personally, aggression
Scott
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
best book i've read in a long time. recommend it to everyone. could save your life and i'm not exaggerating.
Anika
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded to a 4 based mostly on a relatable essay in the final chapter.

This was an easy, and necessarily sobering read that I imagine would be especially useful for anyone who feels invincible after taking a few kickboxing classes, and who might benefit from injection of a healthy dose of reality. The no-nonsense writing style well matches the commonsensical advice provided throughout the book, and the occasional gruesome anecdote is a good reminder to appreciate the EMTs, law enforce
Bernie Gourley
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in the cold, hard realities of violence.
Shelves: martial-arts
I’ve long realized that all martial arts are models. Models are simplifications; they inevitably leave elements out—sometimes because those elements don’t seem relevant and sometimes because they can’t realistically (re: sanely) be included. Those of us trained as social scientists say two things about models. 1.) All models are wrong, and 2.) All models lie. The question is whether your martial art is the least wrong, i.e. tells the most acceptable lie, for your purposes. Rory Miller’s work ill ...more
Joseph Hirsch
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think the writer William Burroughs once said words to the effect that "No one controls life, but anyone with a frying pan controls death." I mention that in the context of this book because one doesn't have to be an expert in violence to hurt others, but one does need some level of expertise or training to even begin to gather the skill set to defuse a violent situation. It takes years to become a good soldier or cop, but it takes one vial of PCP to become good at violence. It's also hard to b ...more
Scott
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-physical
Yeah, I rated a book out of 5. Now if I was an unthinking robot reading this, I’d probably have rated it 4/5 or so, but it came to me at precisely the right time, so it gets an extra rating for the emotional impact it has on me.

Sgt. Miller (“author”) is a man well acquainted with violence, and he wrote a book on how to survive it. It is subtitled “A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence”; however, other than a consistent theme of “Sparring doesn’t teach you how to deal w
Amelia Quirke
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concise and practical, Rory Miller lays down the psychological, sociological and cultural parameters in which violence can occur and outlines the practical steps a person can take to disrupt this.

I was recommended this book by my self defence instructor, who uses many of Rory's teachings in her work, and I'm totally hooked. Rory's no-nonsense approach is refreshing and funny, and above all invaluably helpful. He forces you to rethink your own biases and the inherent flaws in martial arts traini
Šimon Podlesný
K tejto knižke som sa dostal na odporúčanie trénera Krav Magy, ktorý ju označil ako povinné čítanie pre každého, kto sa zaujíma o sebaobranu.

Po pravde, zo začiatku som bol veľmi kritický. Predsa len, čo vás môže naučiť kniha, ktorá je písaná z poza veľkej mláky, z inej kultúry a k tomu od nejakého sto prvého samozvaného experta na sebaobranu. Teraz som rád, že som ju kúpil a prečítal až do konca.

Kniha nie je o technikách, skôr poukazuje na bežné chyby v dnešných bojových umeniach. Popisuje tak
Mighty Sea
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Almost 5 stars.

Rory Miller has experienced "violence" from a number of different perspectives. As a soldier, regular police, swat, corrections officer, martial arts enthusiast ... and from each of those perspectives he found that he had a "relationship with violence, but that none of the relationships were the same. From this he talks about his experiences and also his experiences with "other experts" who mistakenly think they understand the reality of violence from one perspective.

The book is a
Srdjan
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Iit's not a good way to learn self defense. It is a great exploration of how violence works in practice and where most training fails. In short:
- most people's perceptions of violence are unrealistic
- self defense is to a large extent psychological
- your will usually be surprised
- most people can't escalate/really hurt others, instead treating fighting as a social ritual.
- most martial arts trainers never experience real violence. Most martial arts are close to useless in a real fight.

if you're
Logan Spader
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a fun read but the author is annoyingly egotistic and continually uses stories to brag about how awesome he is. He also makes a lot of wild claims but rarely references sources for these claims about the general population. With that said, he has a LOT of really interesting stories about violence which makes up for all of his bragging. I also liked that he did not hold back when explaining some of the horrendous crimes he has heard of. This is not a book for people who want to stay ...more
Sabin
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
O consider un must-read pentru oricine vrea ss inteleaga mai bine confruntarile violente: de ce se intampla, tipurile de agresori, cum sa reactionezi si, cel mai important, cum sa le eviti (daca poti). Autorul e un expert in arte martiale si datorita slujbei sale a avut sute de ciocniri violente cu criminali. Foarte ajutatoare este mai ales bibliografia de la finalul cartii, pe care Miller o aranjeaza si descrie cu atentie. Recomand "agresiv" aceasta carte.
Rebecca Amodeo
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a practical book on elements of self-defense. It highlights mindset of violent offenders in a way that I have not seen in other books and addresses a more comprehensive array of considerations one should take in a dangerous situation.
I am a violence survivor and highly recommend this book to other survivors of violence, especially those who have suffered long-term or ongoing violence.

• Little Black Book of Viol PB: What Every Young Man Needs to Know about Fighting
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
  • Warrior Mindset: Mental Toughness Skills for a Nation's Peacekeepers
  • Autumn Lightning: The Education of an American Samurai
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life
  • The Bible of Karate Bubishi
  • A Fighter's Heart: One Man's Journey Through the World of Fighting
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • The Power of Internal Martial Arts: Combat Secrets of Ba Gua, Tai Chi, and Hsing-I
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of the Shogun
  • Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts
  • American Shaolin: Flying Kicks, Buddhist Monks, and the Legend of Iron Crotch: An Odyssey in the New China
  • The Spirit of Aikido
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts
  • Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and Close-Quarter Combat
Sergeant Rory Miller is a corrections officer, a martial artist, and an instructor in both of those areas.

“Here's a rule of life: You don't get to pick what bad things happen to you” 9 likes
“Just as women do not have the ritual of dominance-based violence, they also lack the built-in safety. In other words, if you are dealing with a female threat, she will be seeking to do damage, not to show who is boss. In my experience, women gouge for eyes, bite, and try to cut the face with their fingernails far more often than men. Second, if you are a woman dealing with a male threat, he can still Monkey Dance at you and perceive you to be challenging him. A significant percentage of the males who prey on women are seeking to safely establish dominance over somebody. In that case, when a woman fights back the man will react very violently. In his mind, a victim specially chosen to be weak enough to guarantee his validation as a dominator has seen him as weak enough to challenge. A man fighting another man for dominance will try to beat him, but a man who thinks that he is fighting a woman for dominance will be seeking to punish her. Punishment is much worse. Third, there are specific reactions to violence that most women have absorbed at a very young age that profoundly affect their ability to defend themselves. You see this in victims who flirt with or compliment their attacker: “You’re so handsome you don’t need to rape.” And you see it in women who struggle instead of fight. Women are used to handling men in certain ways, with certain subconscious rules—social ways, not physical ones. These systems are very effective within society and not effective at all when civilization is no longer a factor, such as in a violent assault or rape. On a deep level, most women feel at a gut level that if they fight a man he will escalate the situation to a savage beating, punishment for her challenge to his “manhood.” They feel this way because it is true. This is a hard thing to write. Years ago, before I learned to just listen, a friend told me her story. It had been several days and most of the swelling had gone down. She told me about the rape and the beating. I asked her if she had fought. Not my business and decades of experience later I would have just listened, but I was young and believed that there were more right and wrong answers than there are. She shook her head and said, “I was afraid he’d hurt me if I fought.” 0 likes