Start by marking “Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge” as Want to Read:

A startling and eye-opening look into America’s First Family, Never Caught is the powerful narrative of Ona Judge, George and Martha Washington’s runaway slave who risked it all to escape the nation’s capital and reach freedom.

When George Washington was elected president, he reluctantly left behind his beloved Mount Vernon to serve in Philadelphia, the temporary seat of th
Published February 7th 2017 by Atria / 37 Ink

To ask other readers questions about Never Caught, please sign up.
Peter Barney The book is best classified as "Based on a true story."

Hannah Greendale

Never Caught is an informative, well-researched, swift read about Ona Judge George and Martha Washington.
Kim
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, history
I'm so glad Ona Judge's story is abroad in the world. She's clearly a woman of grit, determination, resourcefulness, and strength of belief, and there are far too few women from her time period and experiences known to history. ...But I did not really enjoy this portrayal of her story.

Part of the reason for that is that, while the title, subtitle, and summary promise an exciting pursuit of a daring runaway slave, half the book is actually just historical description of the Washingtons' movements
Trish
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Ona Maria Judge, slave to President George Washington who escaped his presidential residence in Philadelphia and fled by sea to Portsmouth, New Hampshire in May 1796, may be one of the most intriguing escape narratives ever told. I’d first heard of Oney Judge and Washington’s pursuit of her from a mind-expanding history of black freed men and slaves in New Hampshire called Black Portsmouth, written by Valerie Cunningham and Mark J. Sammons.

In this work, historian E.A. Dunbar examin
Erin
Never Caught is a thoroughly researched and moving account of a woman who refused to be property. I wouldn't recommend this book to the casual reader because it can be very dry at times, so I only recommend it to those who are very interested in history. I learned a lot about George and Martha Washington as well as what life was like at the beginning of this country.

Popsugar 2017 Reading Challenge: Book Involving Travel
Rebecca Wilson
This book is a pop history in the vein of Erik Larson. Not a compliment.

Oh how I wanted to love this book—what a subject! What a courageous person.

Pros: Ona Judge was a complete badass. This book is a quick, easy read and accessible to teenagers. That's important. And it really does seem to be well-researched, with extensive endnotes.

Cons: This book reads like a really strong first draft of a much better book. The paragraphs and pages seem cobbled together, with a lot of repetitive phrasing a
Clif Hostetler
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This history is a blemish on the facade of freedom upon which the United States claims to be founded. It turns out that George Washington wasn't so generous with slaves who decided they preferred freedom over involuntary servitude.

Ona Maria Judge (a.k.a. Oney) was the personal slave attendant to Martha Washington. During the first seven years of George Washington's presidential term she attended to all Martha's personal needs. She was usually in attendance at social engagements as well, and thu
Heidi The Reader
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
An interesting, non-fiction book about Ona Judge, a woman who was one of Martha Washington's personal slaves until she ran away. Ona remained a fugitive for the rest of her life. This book dissects early emancipation laws in the United States and Ona's life, as well as revealing struggles in the private lives of George and Martha Washington.

Ona was born to a black slave and a white, indentured servant. Ona and her mother were abandoned by Ona's father after only a few years.

"Ona Judge learned va
Emily
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
2.5 stars I think...
or maybe I should say "Emily would have been inclined to give the book 2.5 stars if there would have been such an option available to her in the rating system of her day"

ugh. First, the positive. Without such a book, I would not have known anything at all of Ona Judge. I do know some history, took some visits to Mount Vernon, but the history of the moves of the president and therefore his slaves from Mount Vernon to NY, then Philadelphia was interesting.

But, since there seems
Liz
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're listening to this book, you should probably listen to a neutral palate cleanser before listening to Hamilton. Going from actual Washington to Chris Jackson is jarring.
Anyway, it's a wonderful short-but-not-little work of history that uses the Washingtons and Judge to reconstruct the complexity (and hypocrisy) of slavery in the 18th century. The book itself is cautious, indicating clearly the difference between what we can know and what we can only speculate. It's a stark reminder how
Bryn Greenwood
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is this a very thoroughly researched book, but it’s full of thoughtfully imagined characterization of the enslaved people who so frequently invisibly inhabit stories of important historical figures. Honestly, I think this would be a great text for high school students studying early American history. So frequently schools let white students gloss over what it meant for this nation that its founding fathers were slave owners & this doesn’t shy away from the ugly realities of that.
Chris Eells
I received Never Caught in return for an unbiased review.

Who was Ona Judge? I don't know and apparently neither does anyone else. This story, while apparently heavily annotated, seems heavily opinionated and filled with trivial facts. In truth, I imagine it was probably quite difficult to dig up very much information on a slave that couldn't read or write until late in life and didn't leave hardly any opinions of her own.

I think the story is amazing and I would have loved to have learned more a
Gretchen
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be taught in history courses. It is a really important story, as well as a good read. I know how difficult it is to piece a history together with limited resources, and I understand the amount of research that goes into something like this. I think the author did a good job of fleshing out Ona as a living person, and setting the scenes of her life. Dunbar shines a light on the surprising (and disappointing) views and behavior of George Washington, who has always been held up as ...more
Carlos
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-btr
Not a very in-depth view of slavery at the dawn of the American nation. Some good reference points regarding the first president and his ties with the slavery industry ( doesn’t make him look good), but the slave itself doesn’t get much attention , basically she escaped and was never caught (as the title of the book let’s you know...spoilers...I know) . It’s mostly about the different meetings the first president had and so all the places the slave (onea Judge) visited , the book is mostly a loo ...more
Megan
Despite the limitations of historical record that Dunbar was working with, this book is very easy to recommend, especially for readers who are interested in this period or aspect of history but don't necessarily have extensive background knowledge. The writing itself is very accessible. Particularly, I was impressed by how Dunbar highlighted the inescapable emotional labor that's part of an enslaved person's work, and the way she clearly explained (without excusing) the mindsets of slaveowners. ...more
Tasha
Interesting, quick story. Presents another side of GW that I feel is good to know.
Montzalee Wittmann
Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge by Erica Armstrong Dunbar is a very informative and interesting read. It tells about a very determined Ona Judge and very sneaky Washingtons. I knew the Washingtons had slaves but I just didn't know how sneaky they were to work around their 'human property'. Wow, they were really terrible. My grandmother's name was Ona and I didn't get to know her, I was only 6 months when she died but the way she is described sh ...more
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
It seems that there really isn’t that much known about Ona Judge, which leads to a lot of “she would have” done or felt a certain way. Also, the few letters written over a few years and a couple of visits to negotiate with her to return hardly seemed like a “relentless pursuit”. On the up side, this book gives a lot of great historical information on how enslaved people navigated the laws and their lives in the early days of the country.
Alicen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has visited Mount Vernon dozens of times, I found this book to be very eye-opening and a reminder of the full picture of who George Washington and his wife were in real life. They upheld and benefited from the institution of slavery, and I feel this is a fact we need to confront and consider.
Jessica
Wow. My mind is still processing this, so I'm not sure what to say. Very readable.
SmartBitches
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-grade, nonfiction
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Never Caught: The Washingtons’ Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge is a nonfiction book about the efforts of one of George and Martha Washington’s slaves, Ona Judge, to secure her freedom. In the process, the book describes the struggle the new nation had with slavery and how different states and different individuals dealt with the matter.

This book shines in revealing Martha, George, and Ona as people, with flaws and moods and family pr
Leah
My third Tackling the TBR! I truly didn’t want this one to end and tried my best to savor each page, a hard task with such a short book. Still, I’m immensely happy I finally set aside the time to dive into this one! Never Caught is a highly readable, engaging read perfect for fans of historical fiction (the narrative flows just like a fiction novel, making it a great book for those put off by dry, academic works) and nonfiction alike.

For the full review and more, head over to The Pretty Good Gat
Barb
This was so disappointing. I was looking forward to hearing about Ona Judge, sadly 90-95% of this book is dedicated to the Washingtons. Much of the information shared was supposition about Ona's life. Phrases like Ona might have, could have, would have, were frequent. Sentences that began with, Ona did, were very few.

The title for the book is very misleading. There is very little about Ona Judge included. I think a more accurate title would have been 'The Washington's Slaves'.

I wish the interv
John Findlay
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The subject of this book is fascinating, and reminds us that the Founding Fathers were human and far less than perfect. Ona Judge was a house slave for the Washingtons during his Presidency (technically, she belonged to Martha Washington) who escaped while the "White House" was in Philadelphia. She relocated to New Hampshire, but had to endure a rigorous pursuit by George Washington and his allies. She managed to remain free, and lived to tell her story many years later. The book points out how ...more
Andre
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lois
I thoroughly enjoyed this well researched and thoughtful biography. I found this extremely readable and nicely paced. The author uses white sources, The Washington's, to track Judge's early years acknowledges that and still manages to leave The First Family in the background. Skillfully done. Ona has her own voice and tells her own story.
George and Martha Washington are truly despicable people. I hope they died in abject pain, George for one did.
Cortney
3.25 Stars

My issue with these types of books is that I expect them to get right to the point of what the book is supposed to be about and that rarely ever happens. Instead we get five to six chapters of background and filler information that has a thin connection to the subject at hand. I’m sure all this information is of interest to some people; I’m just not one of them. We finally get around to “the Washington’s relentless pursuit of their runaway slave Ona Judge” about 60% into the book.
Diana Long
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the true story of Ona Judge, born into slavery...and her flight to freedom. I found it a poignant story and the author did a great deal of research as is evidenced in the extensive sections at the end of the book for references ..Notes and Bibliography and illustrations (appearing in the book). I think what makes the story of special interest was the fact that Ona was a dower slave owned by Mrs. Washington and the great lengths the President went to capture and return her to bondage, un ...more
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard story to even attempt to write, and I really admire that someone made the effort. I’m also impressed with the fact that it manages to be both well sourced and very accessible in terms of writing style. However, with that said, this did end up being a little hit and miss for me, in particular when it came to trying to introduce possible thoughts and feelings Ona may have had throughout her life. I think it’s a worthy goal to try to construct the internal life of someone who by nece ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Incredible story, with a heartwrenching epilogue. And Robin Miles is one of my favorite audiobook narrators.

• My Face Is Black Is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations
  • The Social Life of DNA: Race, Reparations, and Reconciliation After the Genome
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • The Memphis Diary of Ida B. Wells
  • Betsy Ross and the Making of America
  • The Slave's Cause: A History of Abolition
  • Bind Us Apart: How Enlightened Americans Invented Racial Segregation
  • Not Free, Not for All: Public Libraries in the Age of Jim Crow
  • Affairs of Honor: National Politics in the New Republic
  • The American Slave Coast: A History of the Slave-Breeding Industry
  • Help Me to Find My People: The African American Search for Family Lost in Slavery
  • New England Bound: Slavery and Colonization in Early America
  • The Price for Their Pound of Flesh: The Value of the Enslaved, from Womb to Grave, in the Building of a Nation
  • Charity and Sylvia: A Same-Sex Marriage in Early America
  • A Girl Stands at the Door: The Generation of Young Women Who Desegregated America's Schools
  • Runaway Slaves: Rebels on the Plantation
  • Stealing Secrets: How a Few Daring Women Deceived Generals, Impacted Battles, and Altered the Course of the Civil War
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750-1800
“Both Lear and Washington held fast to paternalistic assumptions about African slavery, believing that enslaved men and women were better off with a generous owner than emancipated and living independent lives. Decades later, Southerners would justify the institution of slavery with descriptions of the supposed benefits that came with enslavement. According to many Southerners, slaves were better cared for, better fed, sheltered, and treated almost as though they were members of the family. Northern emancipation left thousands of ex-slaves without assistance, and Southerners charged that free blacks were living and dying in the cold alleyways of the urban North. Many believed Northern freedom to be a far less humane existence, one that left black men and women to die in the streets from exposure and starvation. But” 2 likes
“Very few eighteenth-century slaves have shared their stories about the institution and experience of slavery. The violence required to feed the system of human bondage often made enslaved men and women want to forget their pasts, not recollect them. For fugitives, like Ona Judge, secrecy was a necessity. Enslaved men and women on the run often kept their pasts hidden, even from the people they loved the most: their spouses and children. Sometimes, the nightmare of human bondage, the murder, rape, dismemberment, and constant degradation, was simply too terrible to speak of. But it was the threat of capture and re-enslavement that kept closed the mouths of those who managed to beat the odds and successfully escape. Afraid of being returned to her owners, Judge lived a shadowy life that was isolated and clandestine. For almost fifty years, the fugitive slave woman kept to herself, building a family and a new life upon the quicksand of her legal enslavement. She lived most of her time as a fugitive in Greenland, New Hampshire, a tiny community just outside the city of Portsmouth. At” 1 likes