Start by marking “How to Be a Grown-Up” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Grown-Up

How to Be a Grown-Up

For fans of Bryony Gordon and Caitlin Moran, a comforting, witty, supportive handbook for real twenty-something women who want to discover how they can reach the end of the 'fun' decade knowing exactly who they are.

Have you ever felt lost, anxious, panicky about adulthood?

Have you ever spent a hungover Sunday crying into a bowl of cereal?

Have you ever scrolled through Instagram and felt nothing butcereal?

Haveadulthood?

Have

Published April 6th 2017 by Headline

Start your review of How to Be a Grown-Up
Kirsty ❤️
I'm a little bit old for the intended demographics for this book but downloaded it as you're never too old to learn a few new tricks.

There's a lot of good advice in here and I really liked the ideas around building online friendships. There are topics for all types of readers from money and mental health to even masturbation. It's really quick and easy to read. I enjoyed it

Free arc from netgalley
Linda Hill
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A handbook for 20-30 somethings to help steer their way through the digital age.

When I first began reading How To Be A Grown Up I have to confess to thinking ‘Oh good grief. More self-indulgent navel gazing!’ and setting it aside in a grumpy fashion. I didn’t like it at all.

And then I thought about it. I’m not a 20-30 something. In fact I was 56 yesterday! But I have been 20-30 (and I did have a university friend who was, like Rosie, allergic to alcohol). So I picked up t
Lucy (TheBookBelle)
A wise, wry and witty look at surviving your twenties. Loved it!
Sabrina
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booktails
First of all, a bit of a disclaimer. This book is aimed at 20 somethings which puts me just a little (a lot) out of the main demographic. However, I don't feel like a grown up most of the time so I thought it could still be useful. As if to prove that I need growing up advice, I caught myself trying to stuff the book into the teeny tiny little kids bag I had bought. However, there were also some signs it was not really for me, such as when I had to google Encarta... and I'm still left wondering ...more
Paula Dennan
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covering everything from how to be confident, dealing with panic attacks, wanking and how to have sex, particularly after a sexual assault; How to be a Grown-Up is like a comforting, yet, motivating hug. I only wish I could have read it in my 20s.
Jen
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, uk
Gosh I wish I'd had this to read in my twenties.
Kate
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this for me was like having a good chat with my older, slightly more sensible, friend. Yes, lots of this I had heard before but seeing it written down in paper often just helps to remind you that you are not a complete muppet.

My favourite line has to be the last line in this book "If you can light a scented candle without burning your house down, you are a successful adult". First of all, Yes I am an adult! Secondly, do I get to keep my new found adult status if I admit that while I may
Kate Henderson
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF’ed at 40%.
Never have so ever felt so patronised reading a book!!!
In one chapter it explained and described how to WASH YOUR HAIR!!!?!?!? nah!! Don’t think so! That’s when I decided to stop reading!
DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!
Rachel
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very quick and easy read, but still helpful on certain aspects of life. Some parts are obvious and you wonder why she put them in there, but I guess to me it's obvious but to others it might not be? Will certainly go back and highlight certain advice and thoughts to remind me how not to be jealous, or how to relax and be calm etc. Enjoyed her anecdotes too, I'm glad there's so many!
Brianna Henderson
Honest, truthful and hilarious. And maybe, I know how to wash my hair correctly now.
Ingrid B. holstad
I’m 23 and it’s so very relatable.
Chelsey Pippin
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kiss, marry, or kill?  MARRY. Yes, a thousand times YES.
My type?  I literally cannot think of a book that is more my type. Chatty, thoughtful, warm, and such a comfort.
“Easy” read?  Yes  but it took my MONTHS to finish because I didn't want it to end!
Love at first line?  Yes, I have no chill.
Most attractive trait?  It's just the friendliest, most charming pile of pillows.
Character I’d swipe right on?  Daisy, marry me.
Character I’d swipe left on?  The full stop at the end ;)
Ideal reading date?  Here is a book for the bath/>Ideal/>Character/>Character/>Most/>“Easy”/>My
Morag
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a mixed bag, and I've been staring at the review box for ages working out to exactly word this...

On one hand it was funny and honest, making it a refreshing change from the crowd of self-help / self-development gurus who reek of perfection and appear to (from the outside at least) to have unattainable and unrealistic amounts of joy in their life.

But on the other hand, I didn't find any of the advice ground-breaking and I had already figured out most of it on my own. Don't g
Tracey
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Daisy. Where on earth were you when I was growing up! This book is an absolute treat which I could associate with quite a bit now I’m old and grey.

There is some great advice in each chapter, yet it’s a warm and fun read too. If you’re feeling down, I recommend grabbing yourselves How To Be A Grown Up from your nearest Bookstore.

This book is staying close by, I know I can pick it up when I’m feeling a little low and be uplifted straight away by flicking through the book and findin
Katie Greenwood
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review/ as a result of my job**
Everyone needs to read this book. It is quite simply fabulous. Daisy reminisces on her trials and tribulations from her early twenties and what she's now realised as she's entered her thirties. Now, though I'm twenty-one...nearly twenty-two, I still found myself nodding along to paragraphs in this. It got to a point regarding iPhones where I was howling with laughter, couldn't catch my breath and proc
Susan
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to be a Grown Up is a positive manual for twenty-somethings navigating their way in the world. While it’s easy for the rest of us to mutter and talk about how there are worse things going on in the world these days, take a moment to think back and remember how important your problems seemed when you were 24. You’re finding your feet in an uncertain world and, let’s face it, the current crop of young people face a precarious situation in employment and housing. So a handbook on how to deal wi ...more
Rhoda
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review
This review was originally posted on StrupagSometimes it's just nice to read a book that you can relate to. I might be in my thirties and been through a lot in my three and a bit decades on the planet, but I think How To Be A Grown-Up is a phrase I'll forever ponder (won't we all) and so Daisy Buchanan's book called to me.

Ok, full disclosure, I didn't actually know who Daisy Buchanan was before I picked up this book (if you're wondering she is an award-winning journalist and Grazia agony aunt), but I now fe
Laura Angell
I am on a bit of a self-help book binge at the moment, so I've been reading a lot of books and at 20-something year old women who feel a bit lost or overwhelmed. I picked this one up because it sounded like it would be pretty inspiring, especially with recommendations from Dolly Alderton and Bryony Gordon - both whose books I've read this year.
It wasn't however quite what I hoped it would be. There's nothing in here that I didn't already know and I found the whole tone and little patronisi
Niamh
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, e-arcs
This book sells an idea of teaching you how to be a grown-up. It's part memoir, part self-help manual with top tips from the author about to survive and thrive as an adult, or perhaps an almost adult. However, what's missing is a sincere effort to explain the intricacies of living well, or at least living. It's funny and charming on occasion, but I think it's designed towards a certain kind of person. Someone who perhaps is unsure of the direction their life is taking. Someone who did all the ty ...more
Lisa Bentley
It is hard being an adult. Especially when you are in your twenties . When you think about it, you are still in your infancy of being an adult. You are still learning how to be a grown p. It is this strange paradigm that is the subject of Daisy Buchanan’s book How to Be A Grown Up.

I really related to this book and Buchanan’s struggles. I struggled through my twenties. I got myself in debt due to the dreaded FOMO. I lost friends, had dramatic romantic dalliances. I won’t lie, my twent
Rachy_reads
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have to say I’m a big fan of Daisy’s writing and journalism so it’s embarrassing how long it took me to actually purchase this book!

As someone in her early 30s I think I am slightly above the demographic that the book is intended for as rather than pulling advice from Daisy’s words I think I was more nodding along in agreement and thinking. “Oh yes I’ve been in the same situation”.

None the less it’s a delightful read - Daisy’s tone is warm, friendly and funny and she is very honest about her l
Eli
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a little biased, as my friend’s cousin wrote this but I really enjoyed it. It’s easy to read, and reassuring. I identified with almost all of it; having turned 30 this year. I wouldn’t say it told me things I didn’t already know, or things that my friends / family haven’t already told me. But it definitely felt like a positive force, which is no bad thing when the world can be at times overwhelming. I have bought it for a friend and would recommend to other girls in their 20s and early 30s. ...more
Sophie
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's taken me a while to read this for the key reason that I am a serial reader. I wish I'd not left it so long though. Buchanan's book is an essential for every twenty-something. It's full of wisdom, humour and is like reading something from a non-condescending best friend or older sister. I'm about to lend my copy to Britney but I am also considering it for people's Christmas gifts this year too.
Elena
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so overcome with emotion I accidentally hit myself in the face when I finished this book. I currently feel so encouraged and empowered that I can do the grown up thing thanks to Daisy. There is a quote from Bryony Gordon on the back that reads, ‘I really, really, really, could have done with Daisy Buchanan in my twenties.’ and here I am, one of the lucky ones who has this book in her twenties. AND Almost a whole 7 years to give it some rereads.
Sheryl Faith
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me how to be a proper grown up and cut down my childish ways and to lead a happy fulfilling life and an enriching one without comparison with others around me and to be happy, jealous, managing my money etc and love life whatevers.. overall, if you are 20 PLEASE pickup this book...took me less than 3 days to finish reading this book. worth your time my childish thoughts have lessen a lot after Daisy's words... :)
Juliet
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5⭐
I have enjoyed this book. It was funny, witty and smart. I flew through it, it was such an easy read. Even though it wasn’t particularly enlightening, I have found some much needed reassurance within its pages. Sometimes it’s nice to be reminded of the simplest things.
However, I also think it covered too many topics and should have been more detailed. She had some good advice, but I wish there was more of it.

A full review will be posted on my blog: writersinsomnia.blogspot.com
Caoimhe Creed
It’s a good read, some of the advice is good but I didn’t find it really groundbreaking. I might be being unfair though, as I have been reading a lot of similar stuff and I guess I’m finding it tiresome. It might be better for women in their early twenties. The chapter on friendship was probably my favourite, I liked the finance one too.
Hayley Gullen
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a fair few of these 'young female journalist has a few difficult years and then sorts herself out' books, as intermediate holiday reads between more weighty tomes.

This one is probably aimed at a younger readership than me (early 30s) but I enjoyed it for what it was, and it has a bit more depth than many of the other books of its type. The advice it gave was thoughtful and wise.
Sophie
A brutally honest, yet entertaining read covering a whole host of topics including friends, money, confidence etc. I found this book so incredibly relatable and it was the perfect read to help navigate the doubts that have been creeping in since I left university. I especially appreciated how frank and sex-positive Buchanan's writing was. It's a great life manual for twenty-somethings.
Meg7989
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, embarrassing and only slightly patronising in places. This almost bare all is how to do things wrong, learn from them and then do them a bit less wrong. Despite the moments of being a bit 'woe is me' it's a very funny read and I could relate to an awful lot (though I wouldn't like to admit that)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Everything I Know About Love
  • The Wrong Knickers: A Decade of Chaos
  • How Do You Like Me Now?
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • Becoming: Sex, Second Chances, and Figuring Out Who the Hell I am
  • Eat, Drink, Run: How I Got Fit Without Going Too Mad
  • My Thoughts Exactly
  • Jog On: How Running Saved My Life
  • Are We Nearly There Yet?
  • Promising Young Women
  • Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • Hot Mess
  • Hopeless Romantic
  • What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up
  • Animals
  • The Authentic Lie
  • Our Stop
  • What Fresh Hell
“(...) I'm my very best self when I'm with him, but every day, I want him more than I need him. He taught me that love is patient, love is kind, love is calm and quiet. It's not a music video of big hair, big tears and erotic, electrical storms. It's two people pottering about a small flat making each other coffee. It's waking up every morning and feeling quietly delighted as you smell the sleep on his skin and observe the the way his tufty hair is framed by the pillow. It's sly hands sneaking up jumpers to stroke the silky skin underneath and wanting to share all your big news, bad news and pictures of especially adorable dogs. It's knowing that there's nothing that can't be talked over and solved by a walk to the park or a trip to the pub.” 2 likes
“We can't future-proof love. When we're with someone, we're vulnerable. Love is dangerous, and there's no way of doing it safely. There is no condom for the heart. But we can protect ourselves with self love, and the knowledge that we don't need anyone to complete u. We can't be with anyone who makes us feel as though we're not enough on our own.” 1 likes