Start by marking “POWER: Surviving and Thriving After Narcissistic Abuse: A Collection of Essays on Malignant Narcissism and Recovery from Emotional Abuse” as Want to Read:

"Shahida Arabi weaves life wisdom and insight with empowering scientific research, not leaving any room for misunderstanding or doubt about the harmful nature of this form of abuse." —THE SHAKTI JOURNAL

Pathological mind games. Covert and overt put-downs. Triangulation. Gaslighting. Projection. These are the manipulative tactics survivors of malignant narcissists are unfor
Published January 18th 2017 by Thought Catalog Books (first published 2017)

Margit
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot express how helpful this book has been to me. I checked it out from the library, thinking that it would help me overcome trauma from an old relationship. Little did I know that I would come to realize, in the process of reading the book, that my current partner was also abusive. The book helped me decide to go No Contact with him 2 days ago. It has helped me to release over a decade of deep shame from my old relationship, and to not go there this time around. It explains the way brain c ...more
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Everyone should read this as its a real eye-opener! Living with a narcissist can destroy your health!
Cathy Wasserman
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shahida Arabi’s book Power is an absolutely outstanding, insightful and, indeed, powerful examination of power: how narcisstic abusers use it to harm and even destroy their targets and how victims can access their inner power not only to heal, but to thrive and become more of who they are meant to be. In this way, Shahida provides a detailed roadmap for survivors of narcissistic abuse to access their authentic power at each stage of their recovery and to dismantle the “atomic bomb” of the false ...more
Rebecca Denise
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really tough to read- how could I let this happen to me? But very empowering.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The woman is a gift from the universe. I read this about a year ago and I think it's well worth a second reading. Her YouTube channel is also excellent.
Corrie Ventura
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone wanting to understand the inner workings of the narcissist as well as a profoundly supportive perspective for survivors of this abuse. As a victim of this kind of abuse I really appreciated how she helped me take my power back, ignore and even transcend victim shaming, while regaining my power step by step. I’m very grateful for this book. It will remain in my library as a resource for years.
Glamorous
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is mind-blowing;
I'm sure everyone came across a malignant narcissist at some point in life.
If you are stuck with one, run!
If you can't, read this book, then RUN.
DALLAS MARSHALL
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT! As someone who was raised and abused by a narcissist, I saw my mother on every page. It explained what my mother did and why. It explained why I reacted the way I did. It taught me what to look for in people. I think everyone should read this book for the education, especially before they get married.
Pat Jackson
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book to read after leaving your narcissist

This book addresses the characteristics of narcissists as well as their victims. And, offers oodles of resources for reclaiming your life, many of them free. I am 15 years out and dealing with family relationships and this book had so much to offer.
Jean
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Great read for when you are emotionally prepared to start recovering from traumatic relationships. My interests were geared toward family issues not love interests but I still found the book to be quite helpful.
Karen
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast read if the material is familiar... worth the read just to read the concept language. Best chapter was on pathological envy. Read this if you have any doubt in your mind about whether the behavior of a narcissist is intentional or not.
Sherri
Miguel Moreno
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you!

I found myself starting to highlight a few lines or a paragraph here and there, that really resonated with me, to revisit later. Suddenly, I realized I was highlighting entire pages. Beautifully written, clear, concise and comprehensive, even for those that have not experienced this type of abuse. Thank you!
Maria
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very informative on Narcissistic behavior, and how it effects those we love. The author gives many examples on this mental illness and clearly states how to survive the outcome. I highly recommend this book to everyone to read...it pays to be informed ahead of time.
Stephenie wright
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing details

I like the in depth real way emotional and sexual abuse is explained. It is covet and even intelligent people cannot decipher what is happening.
Amy Bryant
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Similar content and messaging as other books I've read on this topic, but still a great reminder to stay patient and strong. Recovery can be a long and taxing road.
Abby
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Critical to healing and recovery.
Meghan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing resource for anyone who has been through a relationship with a narcissist. I finally feel validated and not alone!!!!!! Thank you!
Julie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I work as a domestic violence survivor advocate. This is a solid book that I will definitely recommend to survivors.
Cocohat
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Both her books are essential reading for anyone who has survived narcissistic abuse.
mallorie cook
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

Very informative. The author explains in great detail the process of abuse and overcoming it. Great read for anyone who has been through a narcissistic relationship.
jamie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
My boss! My boss! My old boss. I had to quit because she was effing NUTS and this book describes her more ways and better ways than I ever could. Thanks for the great help.
Ashraf Ashkar
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read regardless if you have experienced this type of abuse or not. Learning about red flags of different personalities and how to take care of ourselves is a life skill.
Peg
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
More than a collection of essays. Informative, clear, well written.
Erycka
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. LOVED it. I even talked about it with my therapist. It's helped me move forward with my healing. I'm so glad I discovered it.
Clorie Broadbent
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A long read but well worth it

The author has completed tons of research and put it all together in this extremely informative book. Can't wait to read her other books.
Maxi Bake
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book a week ago, & am currently reading it. I find it's an excellent resource for anyone with the missfortune to have a narcissistic partner, sibling, work colleque or parents, as did I. I'm reading the 10 point list about how you can get trapped in cycle off abuse due to the trauma repetition caused by abuse from a parent/s. The book offers very concise information, & is doubly validating as the author had similar parents to mine. Unfortunately. So I can relate totally. ...more
Melva
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Excellent descriptions and coping methods for dealing with narcissists. God bless you if one is in our life, they are brutal. I know Trump is a narcissist.
sara
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if the title resonates, definitely read this
Andrew Kendall
Jul 26, 2017

• Energetic Boundaries: How to Stay Protected and Connected in Work, Love, and Life
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Bringing the Devil to His Knees: The Craft of Fiction and the Writing Life
  • The Gift Of ADHD: How To Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • Faithfully Feminist: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Feminists on Why We Stay
  • Imagine That!: Igniting Your Brain for Creativity and Peak Performance
  • Why Our Health Matters: A Vision of Medicine That Can Transform Our Future
  • The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being
  • How to Write a Great Query Letter: Insider Tips & Techniques for Success
  • The Catholic Guide to Depression: How the Saints, the Sacraments, and Psychiatry Can Help You Break Its Grip and Find Happiness Again
  • Resilience: The Science of Mastering Life's Greatest Challenges
  • Codependency for Dummies
  • The Unmistakable Touch of Grace: How to Recognize and Respond to the Spiritual Signposts in Your Life
  • Increasing Intuitional Intelligence: How the Awareness of Instinctual Gut Feelings Fosters Human Learning, Intuition, and Longevity
  • Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know about What Editors Do
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • Who Dies?
  • Soul Shifts: Transformative Wisdom for Creating a Life of Authentic Awakening, Emotional Freedom  Practical Spirituality
“Covert manipulators are quite gifted at provocation. As they learn more about you, they are investigating your weak spots and catering their comments towards what they know will hurt you the most. Knowing you’re triggered by their comments gives them a sadistic sense of satisfaction that alleviates their secret sense of inferiority and strokes their delusions of grandeur, control and aptitude. Having control over your emotions also gives them the power to effectively manipulate you and convince you that you don’t deserve any better.” 3 likes
“If you think you're going to have a thoughtful discussion with someone who is toxic, be prepared for epic mindfuckery rather than conversational mindfulness. Malignant narcissists and sociopaths use word salad, circular conversations, ad hominem arguments, projection and gas lighting to disorient you and get you off track should you ever disagree with them or challenge them in any way. They do this in order to discredit, confuse and frustrate you, distract you from the main problem and make you feel guilty for being a human being with actual thoughts and feelings that might differ from their own. In their eyes, you are the problem if you happen to exist.” 3 likes