Start by marking “Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns

(Rise of the Empress #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  5,940 ratings  ·  1,666 reviews
An East Asian fantasy reimagining of The Evil Queen legend about one peasant girl's quest to become Empress--and the darkness she must unleash to achieve her destiny.

Eighteen-year-old Xifeng is beautiful. The stars say she is destined for greatness, that she is meant to be Empress of Feng Lu. But only if she embraces the darkness within her. Growing up as a peasant in a fo
Published October 10th 2017 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Forest of a Thousand Lanterns, please sign up.
Helen Liu Yes. Wei (Xifeng's childhood lover) is in love with Xifeng. But, in order to fulfill her destiny in becoming Empress of Feng Lu, she goes to the…moreYes. Wei (Xifeng's childhood lover) is in love with Xifeng. But, in order to fulfill her destiny in becoming Empress of Feng Lu, she goes to the Imperial Palace, where she creates a spark with the emporor.

You should really read this book. It's excellent. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series (I think it should be 'Rise of the Phoenix') coming out in October 2018. Seems like a long time to wait....but DEFINITELY worth the wait!) :)(less)

·  5,940 ratings  ·  1,666 reviews

Emily May
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2017, fantasy
“Beware, Xifeng, of magic that comes too easily. There is a price for everything, as she learned and you, too, will learn. Some magic requires blood. Other magic requires a piece of your own self and eats away at your soul.”

4 1/2 stars. In short: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is an East Asia-inspired fantasy in which a young woman chooses ruthless ambition and power over the love of a hot guy. Halle-freaking-lujah.

I should probably say this is not for readers who must like the protagonist in o
Marie Lu
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adore an anti-heroine story, and Julie C. Dao achieves this with flying colors in a lush, richly developed fantasy world of myth, monarchy, and magic. Xifeng is an unusual and wonderfully complex protagonist of ambitious agency--I couldn't stop reading about her journey! Go pre-order this beauty immediately.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
This was SO good and I'm just really angry that it took me so long to read it (or listen to it actually). I loved how it twisted a lot of the typical elements of fantasy but also added the richness of the culture it was thoroughly steeped in. A great retelling overall that I HIGHLY recommend!

*I read this as part of Penguin Teen's Fall Into Fantasy readathon where this was my featured buddy read.*
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
October 2017 Fairyloot Box. We got two books. I added a link to all of the stuff in close up under the picture =)

CLOSE UP PICTURES

I thought it was alright.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Lola
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
More like Forest of a Thousand Dull Chapters.

I have nothing against slow-paced books. I think it's alright for some stories to take longer to unfold and be detailed, and consequently, descriptive.

You don’t, for example, want to read a mystery novel that is not at all mysterious because you barely had time to guess who the killer was that BAAAM! You already finished the book.

But if I’m not interested, it doesn’t matter how beautiful your writing is. If I don’t care about the characters, it doesn
Sana
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is a dark and gruesome, !!!East Asian!!! fantasy about Xifeng, a beautiful peasant girl who has always been told that she is destined for greatness.

Xifeng is raised by her abusive aunt/Guma who longs to fulfill Xifeng's destiny, the cards have predicted. They show Xifeng's future full of power and as Empress, but with great power comes great sacrifice and difficult obstacles to pass. Sick of her aunt's abuse, Xifeng ceases the opportunity to run away with her lover
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“I was a born a woman into this world,” she said, echoing the concubine’s words. “And I will play the game, but I won’t lose.”

I’m not mad, I’m just… a little disappointed.

okay okay okay actually let me level here: I LOVE Xifeng. love her so much Julie C. Dao knew what she was DOING with that character.
“But in weakness, you find your strength. You leave pieces of yourself in everyone you love. Is that not the greatest power, to endure in that way?”
“I don’t know,” Xifeng said in a low voi
Julie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Guys! This is my book and I am over-the-moon joyful that I get to share it with you all next year!

The story combines everything I love: strong women and the complex relationships that shape them; the struggle between choice and destiny; a lush palace setting and handsome, brooding men; and a powerful, dark, tortured heroine I think of as a combination of Wu Zetian (the first and ONLY *ruling* Empress of China), Anne Boleyn, and Scarlett O'Hara.

Please follow my blog and Twitter for the latest up
may ❀
Full review posted

I don’t think this book is TERRIBLE, I just think that the synopsis DECEIVED me and I’ve faced too much betrayal from my loved ones books to continue being a victim to such treachery I’m lying, I clearly never learn since I keep reading kasie west books

Pros *this gonna be short oops
- Asian setting!!!!!!!!
- its pretty gruesome, so if you’re into that it might appeal to you I guess :|
- um…girl power but done like sneakily so youre not sure if the characters are evil-villainous-
Riley
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I feel weird saying I relate to the main character because she's clearly the villain but I. FUCKING. RELATE.
Fables&Wren
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

How could I not fall under the spell of this book? HOLY BATMAN I cannot express how beautifully dark this book is. This book is a typical-folklore fairy: beautiful and hypnotizing and just brings you in with your words... but it’s super creepy and probably going to kill you.

Xifeng is a victim of abuse. Her aunt to
Jill
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"She was a monster, a bride of the darkness, and she rose to face her destiny as though it were the blood red sunrise of a new day."

Ok ok I finally have time to write a review. I'd like to start off with a big loud pterodactyl screech that might convey how unique and amazing this book was. I am thoroughly impressed. The entire plot was so well thought out and the characters were beautifully written (even if some of them were brutal as hell... yeah I'm looking at you Xifeng). Basically, I loved
Roshani Chokshi
HOLY FREAKING CRAP. THIS. This is the Evil Queen origin story of my dreams.

I was lucky enough to get to blurb this fabulous debut, and here's what I said: "Searing and intense, Dao's debut is an outstanding character exploration of fairytales' most enduring and enigmatic characters: the Evil Queen. Equal parts lush and devastating, this is a tale that will grab you by the throat."

I want to add a little more here because I haven't read a story like this in awhile. This book is catty. Murdery. Cl
Hiba
She was special, with every bite, every stream of blood spurting from her ravenous mouth. She was a monster, a bride of the darkness, and she rose to face her destiny as though it were the blood-red sunrise of a new day.
This book is so gloriously BRUTAL. One word of warning, this book is certainly not for faint hearted, if you want a glint of hopefullness and happiness then go away because this book is certainly not for you. Forest of thousand lanterns follow the story of 18 year old's Xifen
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This was definitely slow to start, but I'm already absolutely dying to read the second book. I was invested in this book because I knew the main character was supposed to be ruthless, and I was not misled in any way. If you're looking for an origin story that's dark and twisty, this one is fantastic.
Beth
"In weakness, you find your strength. It takes no small amount of courage to open yourself up"

Spoiler Free Review!

Holy shit this was amazing! I have no idea what to think when I went into this... but not THAT! Firstly it's partly a re-telling that has set up the second book perfectly, then we have an anti-heroine (which I didn't even know about!), it's dark and twisted but so gripping. The progression of the book moved at a gradual pace, nothing seemed to be rushed. Not only this the writing was
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
What I Liked
• I enjoyed that the story followed the making of a villain rather than the making of a hero.
• Overall, I liked Xifeng as the main character. Her focus was less on romance and more on her end goals.

What I Disliked
• I didn't really love the writing. There were times that it was very nice and other times that I just didn't vibe with it. The quality wasn't consistent.
• The pacing of the story. The beginning felt too long and the end felt too rushed.
• I really did not like Wei and I
Natalie Monroe
"Let no one stand in your way. If they face you, your beauty will entrap them. If they turn away, you will stab them in the back."

Chalk up 'Snow White retelling from the POV of the wicked queen, set in imperial China' to the list of things I never knew I needed. Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is so vindictive and brilliant and and blade-edged in its message.

"She touched her face. 'This is how a woman plays the game. It makes men weak and forget they make the rules. She becomes the player and t
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

“I believe our lives have already been decided, and it is our purpose to make the choices that lead us to that fate.”

🌟 I have taken the decision to read and not read this book multiple times. I am a big fan of Dark Fantasy but most of my friends said that it was mediocre/ Meh. I finally decided to give it a chance since book 2 is out now.

🌟 The book started very good. It also had a prophecy whic
Samantha
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Kate (GirlReading)
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-favourites
It’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a fantasy as much as I enjoyed this. Forest of a Thousand Lanterns was dark, gritty, unique and unpredictable. I thought the way the narrative of the Evil Queen was woven into the story was so incredibly clever and Xifeng was one of the most intriguing and complex protagonists (antagonist?!) I’ve encountered in a while. The wait until the next book in this series is going to be a painful one but I have no doubt it will be worth it.
Lily ☁️
This was both boring and weirdly addictive? But it kept me from slumping (courtesy of We Are the Ants), so I’m giving it three stars.

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
✨    jamieson   ✨
Sep 21, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
dnf @ 30%

I'm really not getting into this. The writing style or characters just aren't drawing me in at all and I'm at page 150 and feel like nothing has happened. I decided to read the last page too see what was happening and nothing really intrigued me to want to read this. Plus feels a waste of time to read a book I know I probably won't rate very high. I don't think this book is bad it's just not working for me
Kaye
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five-starring in advance because Julie is fabulous, her writing is fabulous, and diasporic authors have EVERY RIGHT to pen Asian-inspired fantasy without being cut down or degraded for it.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
*rubs temples* I really wish I liked this because I was really looking forward to this, but, I'm sorry friends, I was not a fan (and at most, 'it was ok').

- First, I found the worldbuilding... weird. Indeed, it is Asian-inspired, but I felt liked what made it 'Asian-inspired' was superficial and inconsistent. I don't believe that the story should embody an essentialist notion of 'Chineseness'/'Asianness', but it should be consistent, immersive, and rich - which it was not.
- I couldn't get inve
Joshee Kun (조수아)
I've been watching a K-drama called Empress Ki, so now, I can't help but imagine Xifeng as Ha Ji-won and Emperor Jun as Ji Chang-wook. <3 Hahaha, I'm such as helpless fanboy. xD

Inge

Ahhh, this was a pretty solid debut novel, and a great start of a promising series! Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is an East Asian retelling of the Evil Queen's origin story before she became Snow White's stepmother, and it is everything I wanted it to be.

First of all, SHE DOESN'T BECOME EVIL BECAUSE OF A DUDE. I love my villains and I am a sucker for a good origin story, but my main pet peeve is when a female villain becomes evil because a guy wronged her. Sure, there's a guy in here,
Lainey
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Non-spoiler book review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAJd2...

Written review:

I went into this book hoping for the origin story of a villain and I was not disappointed in the least.

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns follows the story of Xifeng. A young woman who is told she is destined for power and leadership... the be the empress of the kingdom. According to the cards her abusive witch aunt reads, the journey is not going to be easy and will test her. Xifeng leaves her aunt behind with her
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Cover Reveal: Good old Asian vibes

But re-reading the synopsis and seeing, "she must spurn the young man who loves her..."
Me: Wait, does she love him too? OMG am I gonna be heartbroken again by another tragic love story!? Ugh my heart is not ready!!!
 photo tumblr_inline_okpfg2ih8W1tcvb41_500_zpsgcryf8ug.gif
---
It just makes me so happy when I see Asian protagonists because I saw so few of them growing up. Now with books getting a little more and more diverse, I get to see them more often, and it is just so nice.
 photo giphy_zpscca5ixvd.gif
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*3.5/5 stars*

I was always intrigued by stories of villains or anti heroes in fantasy books. And I think it's something the YA genre needs more of, because it has so much potential to be different from many other generic - or too similar - books in the genre. Coming into this book, I didn't realize it would be so reminiscent of Snow White from the evil queen's point of view. It's not the same and

• The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • Last Star Burning (Last Star Burning #1)
  • Shadowboxer
  • A Thousand Beginnings and Endings
  • Vassa in the Night
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Crystal Ribbon
  • Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)
  • The Bird and the Blade
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars, #1)
  • Sweet Black Waves (Sweet Black Waves #1)
  • Want (Want, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • The Library of Fates
  • The Flight of Swans
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • Echo North
Thanks for checking out my Goodreads page! I do not check messages or friend requests here, so please visit my website if you'd like to get in touch!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Julie C. Dao (www.juliedao.com) is a proud Vietnamese-American who was born in upstate New York. She studied medicine in college, but came to realize blood and needles were her Kryptonite. By day, she worked in science news and re

Rise of the Empress (2 books)
  • Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress, #2)
“She would bloom where she was planted and let her roots close around the throats of her enemies.” 41 likes
“She was a monster, a bride of the darkness, and she rose to face her destiny as though it were the blood-red sunrise of a new day.” 30 likes