Start by marking “The Changeling's Journey” as Want to Read:
The Changeling's Journey

The Changeling's Journey

Ailsa is dead. Leaving Morven the last surviving changeling in the village. Everyone knows it is only a matter of time before she too is dead. Desperate to find out why the fairies steal human babies, and to save her own life, she leaves her family behind, travelling north into the fairy kingdoms with her best friend.

They soon find that making their way through vast magica
Published July 31st 2017 by Christine Spoors

Ben Alderson
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a refreshing read. Full of adventure, cute and dark!
Video review coming at the end of the month!
Dannii Elle
Feb 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
Everything about this screams, 'YOU HAVE TO READ ME'!
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Thank you Christine for sending me a copy of this book! Though I am a friend of Christine’s, I can assure you that this in no way affects my opinion on the book.

Oh my goodness, a book inspired by Scotland that is actually written by a Scot! What a rarity. And honestly, the difference is so obvious because the scottish elements in this were incredible. Screw all the stereotypes, this book was actually genuine. Even I could tell, as English as I am. I
naz
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I read a somewhat early draft, I think I can pretty much say with honesty that I loved reading this adventure. It's a little different, with a focus on Scotland and inspired by folklore. The world building is just amazing and I kept devouring chapter after chapter. I'll write a more detailed review when it's actually out but yep, I need more. NIEVE IS MY FAVE, JUST SAYING.
Taylor Barbour
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A year or so ago, I was lucky enough to meet Christine through Bookstagram. We quickly bonded over reading and writing, and have since supported another with our writing endeavors.

I remember back when I was writing my second book, Christine was telling me how she was thinking of writing her own novel. I encouraged her to give it a try, and through our writing process, we both kept each other inspired and motivated. And here, about a year later, Christine’s novel, THE CHANGELING'S JOURNEY, is in
Shaz
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Book Chapter

This was a very different and interesting read for myself. I was intrigued by the synopsis, the idea of an adventure, a journey. So I jumped at the chance to beta read for the lovely Christine. Also this book has a map and it is glorious and I cry!

This standalone novel follows young Morven, a changeling who is decides to go on an adventure or for her a quest to save herself - going on an adventure is seen as a norm, which is fricking epic, for young children and I love it. I me
Morgan
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Changelings Journey has made me cry, burst into laughter, open my mouth in shock and feel all the feels. Inspired by Sottish culture and folklore, you can’t help but emerge yourself in this captivating world filled with magic, faeries, mysterious creatures that lurk beneath the water and not least the wisps you can’t help but follow through the forest. The world building is exceptional and on top of the magical elements it all fits together SO well that you cant help but want to go ahead and ...more
Sey_books
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-b
I personally really enjoyed it. It always takes me time to get into a book but once I was fully invested . I really enjoyed the journey . I couldn’t help but see the resemblance between a main character and Christine . I thought the description of the world and environment was really well done as well. I’ve never read anything that was inspired by Scottish Folklore so I was pleasantly surprised . For a debut novel and considering is been self published. It definitely deserves more recognition . ...more
Samantha (everlasting.charm)
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I usually hesitant to read self published books, but every now and then I like to take a chance. You can find some rare gems when you do so and I think The Changeling's Journey is one of those rare gems.

I was first intrigued by The Changeling's Journey because of it Scottish folklore influence, but ended up loving it for so many reasons. It had something for everyone. There was loving relationships both within Morven's family and her friendship with Glen. Not to mention the amazing characters t
Lauren (FictionTea)
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I should probably mention that my best friend wrote this book. The day we met in person was the day she bought a notebook to plan this book. So, I may be a bit biased, but that doesn't change the fact that I believe this is a fantastic book.

R E V I E W
This book is inspired by Scottish folklore of Changeling's which is when babies are taken from their cribs by fairies and replaced by a fairy child. This happened to our protagonist, Morven. She's the longest living Changeling in her village and e
Vicky (What Vicky Read)
A longer and fuller review to come upon this books release!

Eeeeek, I was lucky enough to snag a copy of this before its release and I'm so darn proud of Christine for writing such a wonderful book. I'm not just giving it 5 stars because she is my bestie but because it is genuinely an amazing book that I fully recommend you all read!
Lucie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scotland-my-love
More like 3.75 stars

I was so excited to read The Changeling's Journey, as I really like the author's blog and bookstagram, but also because I love Scotland so much and couldn't wait to see its folklore in a fantasy novel. Besides, the cover is absolutely stunning, which made me even more eager. I went into it without knowing much and just hoping I would love it.

First, this book is more of a journey book and while I enjoy those, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. Sometimes, people just scream
Lissa {rabidreadings}
The best part of The Changeling's Journey for me was that it's a good old adventure story. Unlike most YA novels these days that prioritize the female protagonist falling in love The Changeling's Journey focuses on friendship and family with just a smidgen of romance tossed in for good measure.

It was such a pleasure to read The Changeling's Journey before it's officially released. I loved all the Scottish folklore that was included, and you can tell all the different types of fairies were very w
Manon (manonandherbooks)
What a stunning book! Both inside and out!

There are a few things that really stood out for me in this book. First of all the gorgeous scenery. Christine mentions in her acknowledgements that she hopes her love for her country shines through, and for me it really did. I have wanted to at least visit Scotland for about two years now and this book has made me even more eager to go. Secondly I really loved all the folklore and myths that were interwoven into this story.

I loved all the main characte
Amy
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mini review (Full one will be up on the blog)

My God, everyone keep your eye out for this book when it is released. This book was filled with twists and turns that I never saw coming. I loved the fact that there wasn't any main romance throughout the entire story AND all 3 main characters had NO LOVE TRIANGLES! No insta-love and no triangles, I'm so happy with that. This book doesn't follow normal twists and turns that are in YA books today. I loved how all of the characters go through different
Josephine Boyce
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of The Changeling's Journey and from the outset I totally adored Morven and Glen's relationship. It was so lovely to see a friendship as the central relationship to a book and their dialogue was really funny in moments. I ship their friendship.

The book starts off really strong -- I love meeting Morven's family and I adore the way they all joke about her impending death and then we're taken to Freya and Euna's chapters which give us insight into a fairy kingdom and a fa
The.bookish.photog
May 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
I cant wait to read this book!! Love that Christine wanted a book about Scottish folklore so she wrote it!
Laurent (asoiabooks)
Apr 19, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'M SO INSANELY EXCITED FOR THIS OMG
Isabella
I’ve been following Christine on Instagram for a few years and as she shared more and more about her upcoming release, I couldn’t help but feel intrigued. One day I started reading the first few pages on Amazon. A few hours later, I was still thinking about what I’ve read – Christine’s writing is simple yet elegant, and I fell in the love with the way she described the world her characters live in.
First things first: The Changeling’s Journey primarily follows Morven’s journey as she and her best
Charisa
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating is 3.75

I've followed Christine on instagram for a while, so when she announced that she had written a book inspired by her native Scotland and Scottish folklore, I was very excited! It sounded so unlike anything I had ever heard before.

Pros:

This book is rich in descriptions and details of the world and characters. I could really feel Christine's love for Scotland through the traditions and culture that were woven into the story.

I loved the appearances of selkies and even Nessie
Alina Graf
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all this book was amazing. And I'm so impressed by Christine for actually going for it and take the scary plunge into self publishing. I hope I can do that some day too. I followed her process of writing this book, of researching, rewriting, editing and all else that comes along with the territory and she put so much work into this book and she did awesome. Do you hear me Christine! YOU DID AWESOME!

This book is written in three perspectives that are equally interesting and add so much
legenbooksdary
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a wonderful read, no hidden context given. The setting, the characters and the plot are all so beautifully woven into a story that I know will make the readers fall in love with.

I love how the author connects three characters with a different story into one whole story. I think that's my favourite part of all. We have a distant queen, a queen who has been through so much and the changeling who's only seeking for answers. I can't choose a favourite character because they're all
Yeldah
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved all the plot twists and characters in this book!
Bego Salem
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reding this wee little Scottish story about changelings, faeries, humans and how the power of love can really make a difference.
Avi
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have so much to say about this stunning book and I don’t even know where to start! But let me tell you, that The Changeling’s Journey has set the standard for my expectations on fantasy books. I loved it so much and every book I’ve read afterwards, in the fantasy genre, I’ve compared to The Changeling’s Journey. I just can’t help it.

In this story we follow Morven, a changeling, in her quest for answers. She goes on an adventure with her best friend Glen, where their main goal is to find the fa
Anna
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of The Changeling's Journey from the author but this in no way affected my review.

Simply put, this book was brilliant. It was a little slow at the start but it picked up very quickly and I couldn't put it down.

It is a well researched, traditional adventure story using Scottish folklore as the backbone of the story.

It is told from three POVs, with the main focus being on Morven.

There is very little romance in this book, the priority being exploring f
Shannon
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I really don't know how to express how much I loved this book. Based on Scottish folklore, I was already excited to read this when it officially came out but then Christine sent me over an early copy and I was ecstatic. There is something very exciting about being Scottish and finding books that aren't all "Aye, gonnae no dae that wee lass"...

It's not often that I find myself constantly needing to read another chapter. It didn't matter where I was; the bus, walking, in a shop, while exerci
Becky
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Changeling's Journey by Christine Spoors is an amazing story that totally grabs the reader's attention from the first chapter. The story's elements and plot line are very fluid and one can totally feel like they are a part of the character's lives. I felt like the story was very reminiscent of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy in that you are totally swept up in these character's lives and what their fate holds. The idea behind the main character's background is very inventive and o ...more
Amy (magicallybookish)
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Based on Scottish Folklore, The Changeling's Journey follows Morven on her mission to find the information she so desperately seeks. Filled with love, friendship, magic and fairies you can't help but be drawn into this world, which is written so well, and the adventure within. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this and really felt like I was on an adventure with Morven and Glen!
Karin
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on my blog schakarin.

Actual rating: 3.5

Overall, The Changeling's Journey was a very good book. It features a great cast of diverse characters, beautiful friendships and a truly magical world. Still, something was missing to make this an excellent, 5 star read for me.

The story is told from three different points of view: Morven, a changeling who is traveling north with her best friend to find out more about herself and changelings in general; Princess Freya, the hei

• Pretty Monsters: Stories
  • This Young Monster
  • Constellation Myths: With Aratus's Phaenomena
  • Whispered Words, Volume 1
  • Law of the Wolf (The Outlaw King, #2)
  • Succubus Summoning 101
  • Awakening: Uncensored Edition (Champions (UE) Book 1)
  • Bedlam: A Novel of Love and Madness
  • Sawbones
  • The Less Than Perfect Legend of Donna Creosote
  • Frühstück mit Elefanten: Als Rangerin in Afrika
  • Molly's Family
  • Encounters
  • Broken Curse (The Horned Mage, #1)
  • TimeBomb (Timebomb Trilogy #1)
  • The Muse
  • London Lies Beneath
  • Letters in the Attic
My first book, THE CHANGELING'S JOURNEY, is out now.

My reviews reflect my views on a book at a specific time however we all grow and change. I wouldn't recommend you only look at my review before purchasing a book, especially as some reviews are from 2015!

My bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/weereader/

You can find my Pinterest board for THE CHANGELING'S JOURNEY here: https://uk.pinterest.com/