Start by marking “On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness: Adventure. Peril. Lost Jewels. And the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Skree.” as Want to Read:

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness: Adventure. Peril. Lost Jewels. And the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Skree. (The Wingfeather Saga #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  4,432 Ratings  ·  586 Reviews
Andrew Peterson spins a riveting tale-for-all-ages, following Janner, Tink, and Leeli

Igiby and their trusty dog, Nugget, in escape from the vicious Fangs of Dang who seek the

lost jewels of Anniera. Quirky characters and their world of wonders—from the edge of the

Dark Sea of Darkness to the deadly Glipwood Forest and beyond—set the stage for this epic

adventure that includes
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Oasis Audio (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, please sign up.

Tessa I think it's somewhat like the Chronicles of Narnia, where there are parallels to the Bible and Biblical figures. I've been told that if you liked the…moreI think it's somewhat like the Chronicles of Narnia, where there are parallels to the Bible and Biblical figures. I've been told that if you liked the Chronicles of Narnia, then you'll love these (less)
Trish Some of the best books I've ever read. Not just because they are entertaining but because he is an extremely talented writer too.

Sara
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a war story. A compelling, intriguing, sometimes quirky but deeply moral war story. This is the kind of story that helps us believe that we could stand and be counted if called upon to do so. This is a story that feeds the imagination and stretches the soul and it is a beautiful testimony to the power of family. It is a very good story to have in our moral imaginations.

Getting into the early pages is more than a bit disorienting. Like Middle Earth, we have humans and other creatures coh
Jesseca Wheaton
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable fantasy book. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series. :)
Redheadkate
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the subtitle that got me On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness: Adventure. Peril. Lost Jewels. And the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Skree. While you might be scratching your head in confusion, I’m going, “yeah, tell me about those toothy cows”.

I listened to the audio version of the book. Oh, it was everything the title promised and more. I love Peterson’s impish humor, yet there is depth to the book. I longed to be in my car just to listen to the story. It made me want to drive to the end o
Loren
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From ISawLightningFall.blogspot.com

I always feel a bit apprehensive when a musician decides to try his (or her) hand at writing. It’s one thing to pen short snippets of lyrical verse. It’s another to hold a reader’s attention over several hundred pages. Fortunately, singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson’s On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness more than entertains, despite a few literary failings.

The Igiby family lives on the outskirts of the sleepy hamlet of Glipwood on the continent of Skree in t
Neil Coulter
I just can't do it. I have read this aloud as bedtime stories to my three sons, and we got to page 66, and I just can't go on. I really wanted to like this book, as it came highly recommended from a family member. I love discovering new children's fantasy series to add to our list of favorites, but as I plodded through On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, I found myself dreading returning to it each night to read a few more of the extremely short chapters.

A few things stand out as especiall
Katie W
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book drew me in with the humor and creativity of names and phrases and situations. Some of it was the silly/eye-rolling kind but in a good way - I smiled and laughed through a huge portion of this book. I was also drawn in by the story and the characters.

I especially liked Peet and how he is crazy, interesting, mysterious, sad, but also good, kind, a protector/hero. I kept wanting to find out more about him. I like when things aren't always what they seem. One of my favorite parts was when
Hannah Walsh
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was so surprised by this book! When I first picked it up, I wouldn't have guessed I'd be ending up giving it a five-star rating. This book is a real jewel.

Reasons Why This Book is Great:

1. It's a high fantasy set in an incredibly unique, quirky world.

2. It's full of fun, likable characters. They have crazy names, too, which is a bonus.

3. It's funny.

4. It's scary.

5. It's well-written and full of twists (some of which I predicted, but there were some that took me by surprise)

6. It's by a Chri
Carol
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading aloud to my grandkids since they were babies. I've never before known them to attach themselves to a book like they have to this one. I read them a few chapters one day a week. They remember details from where we left off every time. We finished today; they immediately asked me to start the second book in the Wingfeather Saga.

Humor is squirreled in the footnotes (what kids' book has footnotes?) and the creature's names (The Fangs of Dang). There is green blood and maggot loaf
Turi
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advance-reader
One benefit of my new job in the Technical Services department of the library is that I get a look at a lot of the advance reader copies that come in. These are prepublished books that publishers send out to generate interest and hopefully sales. They are usually uncorrected proofs, so you have to swim through some typos, but usually they're pretty good. That's how I got a look at this book, On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, which won't be out for another month or so.

Wow, I liked this boo
Katie
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*No spoilers*
Andrew Peterson has already proven his prowess as a storyteller through his many music albums. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness is yet another of Peterson's triumphs. The characters are instantly captivating--Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby are children who live in Skree, a land conquered by the evil land of Dang and ruled by the frightening lizard-like Fangs of Dang. The children embark on a complex adventure, looking for a hidden treasure while desperately hoping to protect
David Gregg
Imaginative settings and characters, exciting plot with compelling twists, strong morals — an excellent story!

I listened to the audiobook version by Oasis Audio. I found the narrator a little slow and lumbering, and there are some places that should have been re-recorded. I had a little difficulty staying engaged in the first part of the book because of this, but I think it is no fault of the author. Once the story picked up speed, I never gave another thought to the narrator. I became so absorb
Rita
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiction, fantasy
This was my third attempt at reading or listening to this book. The first time (a couple of years ago) I couldn't get past the first chapter - the writing style was so annoying to me. The second time (several months ago) I kept falling asleep while listening. My friends who had read the book encouraged me to keep reading, that it would get better. So I tried it one more time. In the beginning, I was no less annoyed and no more captivated, but I followed the advice of my friends and pressed throu ...more
nate
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful in every way! Peterson's first foray into fiction was even better than expected. Lots of laugh out loud moments, the footnotes were brilliant, the story was great and I can't wait to read the next installment of the Wingfeather Saga.

I've posted an extended review on my blog.

I'll be giving away a copy of the book on my blog between March 17-21. Swing on by to learn more.

Susie Finkbeiner
It took me a little while to really get into this book. I don't know if it was the genre or just that I was super busy. But, I'm glad I persevered. It was a fun book and I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

Good for upper-elementary kids, I'd think. Some violence and monster blood. Also a few sad moments. Could be a really fun one to read aloud.
Lia Marcoux
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will not be finishing this book. However, I will also not be criticizing it, since my main takeaway was a feeling of deep, hopeless yearning to be Terry Pratchett, and I won't make fun of someone's dreams.
J.C.
Every time I reread this book, it just gets better and better!!
NebraskaIcebergs
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness: Isn’t that a delicious title? This is the name of the first book in The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson. This past week I treated myself by setting aside evenings to read the three-hundred page fantasy and wasn’t disappointed. It’s a fun epic tale with lots of adventures, quirky characters, and a unique setting.

That said, let me caution you that On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness does have a shaky start. For one thing, it has three introductions.
Jill Williamson
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Igby children, Janner, Tink, and Leeli, manage to anger a vicious Fang and are thrown into jail. Janner is certain that they will be taken away in the Black Carriage, forever slaves of Gnag the Nameless. But before the carriage arrives, their mother bails them out with a handful of precious jewels.

Janner is curious where the jewels came from, and he’s not the only one. The Fangs come after them again, this time seeking the precious Jewels of Anniera they are certain the Igbys are hiding. Th
Misty
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was filled with action, suspense, and completely sucked me in. The characters are well constructed, although I feel like the author faltered a bit in Tink's personality. At the beginning of the book, the author tells us that Tink is easily frightened. We see this when he's working on the roof, quite afraid of slipping. That seems to be the only place that we really see his fear (besides when he was running from the "ghost," but who wouldn't run from a ghost?). ...more
Susan Ryan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book review is on the novel, "On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness" by Andrew Peterson. There are three additional books in this series creating the Wingfeather Saga.
I really enjoyed this book for it's large amount of adventure. Also, with very suspenseful and frightening parts.
The main characters are Janner, Tink, and Leeli. Their main struggle is trying to protect the lost jewels of Anniera from the Fangs of Dang. Will they be able to do this task no matter the cost?
If you are a young
Rick Lee James
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe this book is destined to be a classic. Andrew Peterson is one of the most gifted songwriters of the present age and his prose is just as engaging. Fans of Narnia and Middle Earth will love this book because it is in the Spirit of those classic worlds without being derivative in any way..
It's a book that will have you laughing one minute then on the edge of your seat in the next. It is a book full of risk, while at the same time under the guidance and
Care of the maker. I loved it.
Abby Jones
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this was a super fun book. From nasty Fangs, to an interesting family, haunted mansions, a cute dog, a pirate grandfather, Peet the Sockman, and so much humor that I chuckled out loud to myself several times. This book starts fast and doesn't let up, while it builds a wonderful and magical world to snuggle up in.
I can't recommend this book and this series enough. And you know what... Book 2 is even better!
Rated PG: Adventure and toothy cows
Meredith
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I felt conflicted between four or five stars, but settled on 4 for-- 1). a tad bit weaker character development than I was hoping 2). one or two words the author used which weren't bad in themselves, but made me wonder if he couldn't think of an alternative after awhile.
But, other than that, I was impressed with the author's skill in wielding words, well-developed setting, and good sense of humor.
Favorite Character: Peet
Robert Thacker
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness is a wonderful, sweet book. Andrew Peterson's strength is in showing stories with heart: genuine characters who I could see really love their family members - even their oft annoying siblings. Peterson's characters are the most enjoyable part of the story. That, and the profundity of humorous lines and names. There's some adventure, but it generally isn't the kind of story which relies on fast-paced plot to keep you interested.

Another fabulous part of this
Chris
Two stars feels low, but I'm going with "it was okay." It took me a long time to finish and I hit it hard recently because I wanted it off my currently reading shelf.

It's a book of many verbs. In other words, when it comes to scenes vs. moments (a la Nerdwriter on YouTube), this was all moments. It was ever an attempt at being clever and constantly on the move and cute. I couldn't dig. I felt like I was reading something I would've written in that 10-week novel writing course. It was always a s
Erin Hendrian
I've been a little listless about reading lately because all the fiction I've tried to pick up in the past few months hasn't swept me up at all. This book refreshed my love of reading, and I'm already anxious to go to the library and check out the next book. I did see the big reveal coming a long way off but I don't think I would have if I was a younger child, and it was still exhilarating and satisfying. The book has a lot of great themes that are woven in organically (responsibility, servant l ...more
momma.hailey
My children (ages 2-12) and I have read this over the last 6 months during our lunch time. We enjoyed every suspenseful, hilarious, and adventurous moment. While fantasy isn't my personal choice, we picked up this series based on recommendations, and it did not disappoint. After listening to the author at a conference, I can see his sense of humor weaved throughout his writing. Excellent ending full of hope and promise.
Katherine
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, I was a little worried this was going to be too silly or over the top and while it is humorous, it is a solid adventure story. Andrew Peterson has built an amazingly creative world, created characters I care about, and teaches lessons about what matters without sounding preachy or over-the-top. I will definitely read the next book in the series and hope to share this with my boys someday.
Danielle Bryn
The opening is beautiful, and I would read it multiple times over, but after finishing the first 3rd of the book, it didn't really hold me. It seems like a cute and intriguing story, but the plot takes forever to get started.

Not giving it a star rating because I don't feel I read it thoroughly enough or read through enough of it to offer a fair review.
Drink & Discuss: September 2016: The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness 7 6 Oct 05, 2016 10:46AM
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)
  • Cyndere's Midnight (The Auralia Thread, #2)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3)
  • One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers #1)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #1)
Hey, folks. If you're just discovering me or any of my work, it can be a little confusing because there are several facets to it. If you don't have time to read the whole bio below, here's the rundown:

• I write songs. I also record them to these cool things called CDs and put on concerts around the country. (And beyond! To my great delight, I get to play in Europe every year or so.)

• I write books
More about Andrew Peterson...

The Wingfeather Saga (4 books)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)

“Blood was shed that you three might breathe the good air of life, and if that means you have to miss out on a Zibzy game, then so be it. Part of being a man is putting others' needs before your own.” 27 likes
“There's just something about the way he sings. It makes me think of when it snows outside, and the fire is warm, and Podo is telling us a story while you're cooking, and there's no place I'd rather be--but for some reason I still feel... homesick.” 19 likes