Start by marking “My Heart Belongs in the Shenandoah Valley: Lily's Dilemma” as Want to Read:
My Heart Belongs in the Shenandoah Valley: Lily's Dilemma

My Heart Belongs in the Shenandoah Valley: Lily's Dilemma

(My Heart Belongs)

Journey into the Shenandoah Valley of 1816 where...
With Nothing Left, Lily May be Forced into a Loveless Marriage.

Captain McAlister “Mac” Albright has purchased land in the Shenandoah Valley. However, the land belongs to Lillyanna Laughlin—or so she erroneously thinks. Mac sets her straight about current laws, and despite a poor start, the two are becoming friends.

Then,
Published September 1st 2017 by Barbour Books

Hannah
This one was a miss for me. So far, the only one from this series....but it's entirely failed to make me care about what happens to the characters. First off, I felt like the beginning was like a tawdry romance...the young lady bathing in the buff outdoors, while her adolescent brothers roam who knows where around the property? She has a house. Why doesn't she bathe in a bathtub? Or wear her shift while swimming?

Then, too, the entire romance focuses on features for the great majority of
Julie Carpenter
I've found another place that I want to go visit. Anybody up for a road trip? I've been to Virginia before but once was when I was little driving through on my way elsewhere and not really seeing any sights and the other was when I went to visit my sister who just had a baby. She lived in D.C. so I did a little exploring but mostly just explored within the walls of her home with little kiddos and a baby. So I'm ready to go back and visit some plantations, tour the beautiful homes, let's go.

McAl
Deanne Patterson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed reading the My Heart Belongs series. This one takes place in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and the description the book gives is so vivid.
Living on land that belongs to her,Lillyanna Laughlin and her two younger brothers are set. There is a beautiful apple orchard and crops in the field. Money from the harvests will help pay of debts and set them on the right track or so Lily thinks. Seeing Captain McAlister “Mac” Albright and his friend on her property she demands they
Karen R
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable story in this fun historical romance series!
A young woman finds herself in a difficult position of dependency after her father dies, leaving her to care for her younger brothers and farm. Things get worse when her land is sold without her knowledge by her father's friend. The new owner may be friend or foe, a former sea captain returned home from the war.

Set in the lovely Shenandoah Valley on a large plantation just after the War of 1812, a perfect setting for a romance. I enjo
Maureen Timerman
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The pages flew as I read this historical story set in Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, and the time is just after the Revolutionary War, and before the Civil War, 1816.
This book sure has its hero’s and villains, and I sure would have loved to have smacked Everett, he sure gave off a lot of bad bibes.
Can you imagine being on your own land, and then having a stranger show you the deed he has that he now owns your property, yes this happens here, and then you are in for quite an adventure?
I enjoyed thi
Shirley Chapel
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself drawn into this story from the first Chapter. It did not disappoint. Lots of twist and turns kept me turning the pages to the very end. This book is part of the My Heart Belongs in series. It's historical romance from a more simpler time in America's past. This was my first time reading anything by Andrea Boeshaar and I hope to read more of her books in the future.
Lilly's father died quite unexpectedly leaving her and her two brothers orphaned. The court granted Everett , her fat
Amy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the latest in the My Heart Belongs series. Lily’s Dilemma was not only a page turner but a very romantic and engaging tale about a young woman who has been dealt some harsh blows in 1816 and is now trying to keep the rest of her family together. Lily’s father died suddenly and unexpectedly leaving her, her aunt, and her two younger brothers. According to her so called self-appointed guardian, they are also destitute and penniless. Being a rather well off family, Lily nor her aun ...more
⚜️Trea
FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY. I VOLUNTARILY OFFER MY HONEST REVIEW OF THE BOOK, THOUGH IT IS NOT EXPECTED OF ME! RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

This is not my first time reading this author, but it is only the second book I have ever read by her. The difference between this book and the one I read prior to it is quite significant.

The romance angle in this story is very subtle, not
Kristi
The best part of this book for me was that it didn't follow the usual "guy meets girl, they don't like each other, then they fall in love" formula. Lily and Mac were hesitant of each other but there is definitely an attraction there that made the characters come to life and the story fun to read.

I liked Lily right off the bat and I liked Mac just as much. Mac's friend Blake was a nice addition to the story with his friendship and humor. I really liked that Lily was bold and wasn't afraid to tell
Lynda Edwards
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Several of my friends enjoy Andrea Boeshaar’s work, so I decided to pick up her latest book when the opportunity presented itself. I found that I also enjoy her writing style and look forward to reading more of her novels after this great introduction!

The setting in this book is unique; it takes place in the period after war rather than during it, with whispered rumors of traitorous deeds plaguing our hero and necessitating his move to Middletown. Meanwhile, Lily continues to grieve her father’s
ASC Book Reviews
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Torn..... This one started slow for me and part of that has to do with some of the ways the author expresses attraction. I've read some of Andrea's books before and I've been torn with them also. She doesn't always have a happy ending, and personally I need happy endings! LOL! So this was a skim ahead book for me, you know the ones you skim through chapters to see if the story's worth the time to read the whole thing. For some reason this usually makes me feel guilty, LOL! but I'm so happy I did ...more
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
see full review at: www.joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com

I enjoyed reading Lily’s story, it is the perfect mix of tart and sweet, it kept me engaged and turning pages to find out what would happen next. Andrea Boeshaar has penned a story abundant with historical detail, and characters so rich with emotion and descriptive detail you feel as if you were right there living the story along with Lily and Mac.

This sweeping story takes place in 1816, Virginia. The Virginia colony was dominated primarily b
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
I have thoroughly enjoying this series, My Heart Belongs, by Barbour Books. Having read several in the series, I can honestly say I look forward to reading more.
My Heart Belongs in Shenandoah Valley by Andrea Boeshaar was a suspenseful, yet delightful read.
When Lilyanna father dies, his best friend steps in to assist the family with all things financial; an older man, he has designs on Lily but she wants nothing to do with him as a potential husband. After all, he is twice her age! When Lily me
Cathy Morgan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lily's father died a year ago, leaving her an orphan with two younger brothers to care for, with her aunt's help. As he left no will, an old friend has been appointed the guardian of the three children and is in charge of the property. But is he really as friendly and disinterested as he claims? When a large portion of their land is secretly sold to a newcomer to the area, Captain Mac, who is really quite attractive, Lily has to decide who to believe and rely on.

I enjoyed the book, and very much
Lori
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying this series written by different authors. It almost reminds me of the Love finds you series.
Andrea is an excellent author who weaves her characters together in such a way that makes you want to make new friends and family. (I wish I could have a new family)
This was a page turner!!
I liked Lily.
I enjoyed and even laughed at her brother's antics because they seemed to Anynoy Evertt. I didn't like that man. Why? It's because he was manipulating, rude, and controlling!!
Mac and Mr.Bla
Vicky Sluiter
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great addition to the My Heart Belongs series, you’ll want to make sure you have this in your collection.

With many historical references, I learned several new things about that time period. If you enjoy history, you’ll enjoy this book. Author Andrea Boeshaar brought 1816 Virginia, and especially Middletown, to life.

The characters were relatable as they struggled, grew, and learned to rely on God. You’ll love most of them, but of course there has to be at least one you can’t stand. And believe
Susan Karsten
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enter the world of 1816 Virginia. You will encounter a lovely setting, and a vibrant romance involving Lily, a valiant young lady, trying to keep her dwindling family together after the death of her parents. Passion flares between Lilly and Captain Mac, and sizzling romantic tension rises as true love's path is strewn with obstacles, including a wicked older man with designs on Lily and her inheritance. I think you'll enjoy this historical romance.
Andrea
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves inspirational, historical fiction.
Another great book from Barbour's My Heart Belongs series! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was hooked from page eight where our hero, Mac meet's or rather hears our heroine, Lily. From then on I loved the friendship, teasing and blossoming romance between the two. Mr. Blake and his way with words add so much humor to the story as well. His “bones don' lie.” I enjoyed most of the side characters except for the evil, slimy scoundrel that is Silas Everett.

There is a lot of heart woven into this
Darla Damron
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I was captivated and enjoyed the story of Mac and Lily. My only complaint is that big chunks of the story were left out and you just had to assume it all worked out by picking up the story line again.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.
Jalynn Patterson
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Journey into the Shenandoah Valley of 1816 where...
With Nothing Left, Lily May be Forced into a Loveless Marriage.

Then, while Mac is away on business, Lily is faced with the impossible decision of marrying a man twice her age or she
Tina
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-pdf-adr, own
My Heart Belongs in the Shenandoah Valley: Lily’s Dilemma (My Heart Belongs) by Andrea Boeshaar

This story is set in 1816 Middletown, Virginia where Lillyanna “Lily” Laughlin lives with her Aunt Brunhilda “Hilda” Gunther and two younger brothers, 14-year-old Jonah and 12-year-old Jed. Since the recent death of her father, Lily now cares for her brothers as well as their small farm and home. However things soon change when she learns she no longer owns part of the land across from her beloved home
Kym
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Captain "Mac" Albright and his friend John Blake are looking over the land Mac has recently purchased, and where he plans to start farming and building his new life in hopes of distancing himself from the painful memories of being impressed into the British Navy during the recent war. In an awkward first meeting, Lily is shocked to discover that Mac now owns property she thought was hers. Lily handles the news as best she can and tries to be a gracious neighbor, and the two quickly becomes frien ...more
Deana Dick
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The setting of this book was so intriguing . I loved how the author brought historical facts into the book to enhance the story and make it come alive. I learned some very interesting things like how hard it was to make a living in 1816. People worked hard and leaned on each other for help. I can't image having to work in the fields all day and do chores on their farm as well. One of the most likeable characters in the story fascinated me. I learned about McAlister "Mac" Albright as a sea captai ...more
Tina
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Heart Belongs in the Shenandoah Valley
By Andrea Boesshar
In this heartwarming and spunky story, Boesshar brings delight and happiness to two people that are easy to fall in love with.
First, meet Lily, who recently lost her father. Living with her two brothers, who are a little rascally, and their aunt, they have lived on at their family homestead with an old friend of their father’s helping them. Mr. Everett is his name, and it would seem that he is not as much a friend as they would like o
Connie Fischer
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Middletown, Virginia - 1816

Captain McAlister Albright (Mac) had left his life on the waters some years ago and now is looking forward to growing fruit trees and other crops in the Shenandoah Valley. Along with him, he has brought his good friend, John Blake.

As Mac is walking around the land he has just purchased, he happens upon Miss Lillyanna Laughlin. She disputes that he owns the land claiming that it is hers. But when she examines the deed that Mac has, she sees that the seller is Silas Eve
Helen
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Who can really possess land? God is supreme owner of all the earth.”
Lily and her two brothers have recently lost their father. One day after bathing in the river, Lily runs into Captain Albright, Mac, and is informed he has purchased her family's orchards and fields. Her father's friend, Mr. Everett is suppose to be taking care of them. He is now telling them he had to sell the property to pay for their upkeep and he has purchased their home. Mr. Everett has also made it plain that he determine
Cindy
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is Lily Laughlin to do with her beloved papa gone and the despicable Silas Everett manages all the family finances and tries to force her into marriage? Lily copes as best she can until the day Mac arrives in what used to be her family’s orchard and catches her bathing in the pond. Though she is startled to learn he is the new owner of the property, Lily can’t help the attraction she feels toward the handsome captain and invites him to her family’s supper table.

Captain McAlister Albright pu
Sally
If you’re looking for a light-ish historical romance, please allow me recommend the My Heart Belongs series from Barbour. New books in the series are released every other month, and each is set in a different state. The latest offering takes place in Virginia, shortly after the end of the War of 1812. Mac is a veteran of the war and probably has what we would now call PTSD. When he meets Lily’s younger brothers who have romanticized the idea of seafaring, Mac must temper their dreams while facin ...more
Gayle Pace
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historic-romance
MY THOUGHTS:
If you love history that just seeps into your soul, then here it is. I'm sure the author did a good deal of research into writing this book. She paints such a picture of The Shenandoah Valley that you find yourself in the middle of a glorious plantation. You can see Lily dressed in a lovely gown and this was a time when a lady was a lady. Even when they had heavy decisions to make, when their hearts were heavy, they were still ladies. Lily has some choices to make. What will she deci
Connie Saunders
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Heart Belongs in the Shenandoah Valley: Lily's Dilemma is a historical fiction story that takes place in 1816. Lily is a young woman who is cast in the role of raising her two younger brothers after the death of her father. A chance encounter with a stranger turns her world upside down because this man informs her that he now owns her family land. As she struggles to understand how this has happened she finds herself caught between this attractive stranger and the older man who was her father ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • My Heart Belongs in Niagara Falls, New York: Adele's Journey
  • My Heart Belongs in Castle Gate, Utah: Leanna's Choice
  • My Heart Belongs in San Francisco, California: Abby's Prospects
  • The Blue Ribbon Brides Collection: 9 Historical Women Win More than a Blue Ribbon at the Fair
  • My Heart Belongs on Mackinac Island: Maude’s Mooring
  • My Heart Belongs in Fort Bliss, Texas: Priscilla’s Reveille
  • The Westward Christmas Brides Collection: 9 Historical Romances Answer the Call of the American West
  • Hold Me Close (Revolutionary Faith #1)
  • Gone to Texas: Cross Timbers Romance Family Saga, book one (Thanksgiving Books & Blessings Collection One 1)
  • The Gift of Grace
  • A Proper Companion (Ladies in Waiting, #1)
  • Road to Deer Run (Deer Run Saga, #1)
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas / Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • The Message in a Bottle Romance Collection: Hope Reaches Across the Centuries Through One Single Bottle, Inspiring Five Romances
  • A Tale of Two Hearts (Once Upon a Dickens Christmas, #2)
  • Starving Hearts (Triangular Trade Trilogy, #1)
  • The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #5)
  • My Heart Belongs in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania: Clarissa's Conflict
Andrea Kuhn Boeshaar has been married for more than 30 years. She and her husband, Daniel, have three adult sons, daughters-in-law, and two precious grandchildren. Andrea's educational background includes the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, where she studied in English, and Alverno College where she studied in Professional Communications and Business Management.

Andrea has been writing stories

My Heart Belongs (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • My Heart Belongs in Fort Bliss, Texas: Priscilla’s Reveille