Start by marking “The Key to the Demon's Gate (The Cross-Road Travelers #1)” as Want to Read:
The Key to the Demon's Gate (The Cross-Road Travelers #1)

The Key to the Demon's Gate

(The Cross-Road Travelers #1)

The great demon Eshteroth plagued the land of Artenia for hundreds of years until a group of powerful wizards banded together, combining their magic to banish the demon to another world: Earth. Henry Rockwell, his friend Karl and his secret crush Alana, who happens to be Karl's girlfriend, are a normal group of Seattle teens, until a simple trip to the movies to celebrate ...more
Published January 7th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Key to the Demon's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key to the Demon's Gate

Start your review of The Key to the Demon's Gate (The Cross-Road Travelers #1)
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a very pleasant surprise!! After getting this book and then reading the "description" I was a bit concerned that it would not be that good but I'm very glad I went ahead and read it. An excellent read filled with adventure, magic, demons, pirates, etc. Really clicked with Henry the main character and enjoyed reading from the other characters perspectives. Excellent descriptions that got me hooked from page one till I very sadly came to the end. A true page Turner from a talented author that ...more
Kayla Krantz
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
An easy read packed with lots of action. The Key to the Demons Gate is about three friends who are mysteriously brought into a strange fantasy world filled with pirates and adventure when they switch places with a demon named Eshteroth. On their quest to stop him from taking over the world, they must also overcome all that approaches them and learn about themselves in the process.

This book has a wonderful voice that makes it a great read for both YA and adults. The descriptions were fantastic
K.A. Denver
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was provided an arc copy of The Key to the Demon's Gate by Daniel M. Quilter for a fair and honest review.

(NO SPOILERS - PROMISE)
I absolutely loved this book. Henry was a well rounded and well developed character who was likable and I could relate to him (yes even I was a teenager once). I adored the gutsy Alana and found her character a familiar one (I have been bless with a beautiful teenage daughter with an equally smart mouth) and I liked her gumption.
The Story flowed and I found that I
Jasmin Quinn
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Daniel Quilters The Key to the Demons Gate is an excellent young adult fantasy book, although as an adult, I also immensely enjoyed it. The plot was fresh and unique in some ways but at the same time had all the elements a reader of fantasy expects and loves.

Three friends from the earth dimension find themselves on a quest in another dimension when they are swapped with a demon. I love the questing elements and the way the author introduces new characters. Its a fun, roller-coaster of a story.

I
Nikki
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first audio book I've listen to since I was about 5 years old and I quite enjoyed it. Three friends get transported into a fantasy world, taking the place of a banished demon. The plot is fast-paced, full of action, with a touch of suspense. The characters did come across as a bit younger then the apparent 17 yrs old of the main character (not sure if this was due to the story or narration), but apart from that, it was an enjoyable story.
Cherime MacFarlane
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great fun, imaginative, well plotted read. I had a hard time putting this one down. The characters are well drawn and I thoroughly enjoyed this romp... Except it ended on the edge of the cliff. But I suppose it really had too. Sigh.
Christy Nicholas
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of action and magic in this book! I would say it appeals to the younger end of the YA spectrum, but thats not a detraction of the tale, merely a comment on the target audience. Besides, you cant go wrong with pirates, demons and wizards, right? There are nice lessons in doing the right thing and forgiving mistakes as well as good characters and believable dialogue, something often missed in YA novels. ...more
K.J. Simmill
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Key to the Demon's Gate: The Cross-Roads Travelers Book 1, is a fantasy fiction written by Daniel M Quilter.

Henry was a typical teenager, worried about typical teenage things like which movie to see, or how to keep his secret attraction to his childhood friend Alana a secret, especially now she was dating Karl, one of the school's most popular boys who also happened to be, at one time, a close friend of his. The day of his Seventeenth birthday marked a transition like no other, he, Alana,
John
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable adventure. With an unusual mix of magic, demons and machina (technology), the author creates a fantastic world. The quest three teenage best friends ends up on is a test of courage, strength and their trust in each other. The character development of these three along with the surrounding cast of wizards and guardians is excellent. The story moves at a perfect pace and leaves you wanting more at the end. Can't wait for the next installment.
Mark Buxton
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My name is Henry, and somehow I touched a demon and was sent to its world along with my two friends, Alana and Karl. A prophecy says the demon will return in a year, and I'll be part of its destruction. The demon's touch gave me power over fire, and it's come in pretty handy. I was able to burn through a steel lock to free myself, and my guardian Ace. I'm not sure if it was smart to choose a pirate as my guardian, but I couldn't allow him to be killed. Now, I'm in a race to find the key to the ...more
Mary Yarde
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

All Henry wanted to do was go to the cinema with his two best friends and celebrate his 17th birthday! But then this demon showed up and suddenly they find themselves in the middle of a sea, in a strange world, with pirates, slave dealers and other strange oddities. This was a birthday Henry was certainly not going to forget.

The Key to the Demon's Gate (The Cross-Road Travelers #1) by Daniel M. Quilter is one of those books where you are immediately drawn into the action. What starts as a normal
Sherrie Hansen
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The opening chapter really draws the reader in and the pacing of the action keeps you reading. I liked both Henry and Alana - and even found Karl a somewhat sympathetic character at first. The friends and cohorts they meet along the way are well-developed, unique personalities, each with their own quirks and memorable characteristics. A lot of the banter seemed a little too lighthearted and geared toward teenagers, which prevented me from feeling that the characters were ever in any real danger. ...more
Ellie Midwood
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Key to the Demons Gate was a great read for a few reasons: first, it presented wonderful character development in all three main characters: Henry, Alana, and Karl. The three friends are transported to a different world and have to undergo major changes - two of them maturing and becoming true heroes, and one of them - taking a darker path. Another reason why I enjoyed this fantasy novel so thoroughly was the original, imaginative world in which the authors brilliant imagination transported ...more
Amy Proebstel
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saving the World Has Never Been So Much Fun

The three teenagers who find themselves traded for a demon are in for an epic adventure. In the Key to the Demons Gate, Henry and his two best friends get separated when they are transported to an alternate world. Each have to discover their own talents, decide who they can trust, and also navigate in a world which only slightly reminds them of an ancient time from Earth. It becomes clear they are no longer in Seattle when their adventure begins. This
William
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Action, danger, heroism and magical powers offer a fun and compelling read. A range of interesting, appealing characters who don't land cleanly on the hero/villain divide leave the reader to decide who is actually on the right course.
Although the protagonists ages fall within the Young Adult range, the writing leans more to Middle Grade--which to me is a plus. Too many teenage characters in some YA book seem much older than their stated ages, with stories juiced up by
J C
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Imagine if you were traded for a demon, transported to another world, and forced to stop the demon from taking over the Earth. Yep, Henry and his friends are not in Seattle anymore. In the world from an earlier time in which Henry finds himself, hes given some magic powers as a new wizard and he even gets a guardian to aid him. Great pace and good dialogue as the story progresses. There is also a good bit of humor and funny interactions, making this fun and light-hearted enough for kids.
Theresa
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Key to the Demon's Gate
Daniel M Quilter
An odd story similar to a Dungeons and Demons episode. Three young children have be transported through a demon gate to another world. They find themselves captured on opposing teams and sent on respective quests to find the key to the demon gate. Both sides are convinced that the children are capable of saving the world if they complete the quest. With twists and turns that a Dungeon master would love the children are capable of not only finding the
E.J. Bennett
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

The author got the mc Henry down to a tee. A typical teenager, with typical teenage behaviour and thoughts. Loved the writing style. The plot was brilliant. And the overall story kept me turning the pages. This is a unique tale, not like any fantasy, demon reads i have ever read before.
If your looking for a new fantasy read then i reccomened this book!!
Look forward to reading more by this author!!
Tom Simmons
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tightly-paced fantasy adventure

I found this to be a smooth and very well-written young adult fantasy. Teenagers drawn from our world into another realm of monsters and magic is a popular storyline, but this felt fresh and fun, with strong characters and interplay between the protagonists, and a good balance of action to keep your attention and descriptive text to paint a vivid picture at the same time.
Trudie Collins
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would be great for early teens or pre-teens (do they call then tweens these days?) The storyline and the characters are ideal for that age range. The pace will also keep them interested. They will want to read the next in the series. It is an enjoyable read, but a little quick for me. If you are an adult and want a book you can get through in a couple of hours instead of one you can lose yourself in for an entire day, I recommend you give this one a go.
India Kells
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, magic and adventure
This story of three friends who are brought into a strange and fascinating fantasy world of pirates is quite original.
An interesting YA read, I especially love the voice, the tone used by the author. It brings realism to the tale, although it's an unusual mix of magic and technology :-) Will wait for the next installment!

Dorothea Lynne
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author has created an exciting, fascinating world. The Key to the Demon's Gate is a well written, action packed, easy read. Life lessons are disguised as a fun, can't put down, fantasy read. I enjoyed the characters and the loyalty to friends message. It is an equally great read for YA and adults. Can't wait to read more.
Vlad Paln
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
World and characters lack depth, main characters are driven by the winds of fate with barely an original thought between the three. They are puppets dancing to the tune of others. The dialog is lacking and need quite a bit of work. Don't waste your money on this book unless your to read list is empty and their is nothing on the tube.
Daniel Norrish
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its rare to find a book thats genuinely hilarious as well as exciting, but this is one. The narrative flows rapidly through a few parallel story lines each with their own characters and quirks; its all VERY entertaining. ...more
Brianna York
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Coming of age novels are always enjoyable and who doesn't enjoy teens saving the world? This first part of a on going struggle between good and evil is full of adventure, growth and moral lessons. Enjoyable and affecting.
Logan Horsford
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
First book I've stopped reading in a while simply because I hated the reader.
Shley
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick read with great characters, cool twists, and witty dialogue. This is a perfect book for children and teens with a taste for adventure.
Caroline Walken
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Imaginative YA

What a great imaginative YA read! Full of adventure and a wonderfully positive message. I enjoyed it thoroughly! Recommend for your YA reader.
Cassie Greutman
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice fantasy portal story, with a demon too! Great world-building with lots of adventure :) A quick read.
C.A. King
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing Young Adult Fantasy book with all the trimming, from magic to demons - including a spider battle!

Quilter's books are a lot of fun to read and perfect for the whole family.

• Secrets of the Home Wood: The Sacrifice
  • Quinn's Faith
  • Whine with Cheese: (Vineyard Pleasures Series, #1)
  • He Who Would Come (The Wendel Wright Chronicles - Book 2)
  • Hall Pass For Life
  • Regen
  • Julia Dream
  • Semiramis Awakened (Semiramis #1)
  • The Missing Activist
  • Pure Sanitation: The Duneworth Collectors
  • Game Changer (Alterations #2)
  • Redemption (Eternal Watch #1)
  • After the World
  • The Crown Princess' Voyage
  • Escape from Fear (Men of valour,women of steel. Book 1)
  • She Never Got to Say Goodbye
  • When I Died
  • Soul Tracing: TABOO
Daniel M Quilter grew up in Orem, Utah right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. He spent his time hiking, camping, rock climbing, and anything else outdoors. He currently lives in Utah with his wife, Lauryn. He attended Utah Valley University and spent two years in Portugal as a missionary for the LDS chruch. He published his first book, A Soul Divided, in 2014.