Start by marking “Rocket Science for Babies” as Want to Read:
Rocket Science for Babies

Rocket Science for Babies

Rocket Science for Babies by Chris Ferrie is an introduction to aerospace engineering (also known as rocket science). Baby will learn the principles of lift and thrust, the forces responsible for flight. This is the first in a series of books designed to stimulate your baby and introduce them to the world of science.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published May 2nd 2017 by Sourcebooks Explore

To ask other readers questions about Rocket Science for Babies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocket Science for Babies

Jen
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookexpo-2017
Maybe not QUITE for babies, but definitely my level, lol. I don't know how well it would work for young children, but kids grasp things better than adults know and with repetition, there can be that "aha" moment when it all clicks together. I mean, how many times did Newton see stuff fall to the ground before he made his discovery? This with other science-y books wouldn't hurt I think. 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4, because bully for not treating children like idiots!
ॐ Pixie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Am now rocket surgeon?
Amy!
Mar 09, 2018 marked it as picture-books
Adorable and at about my level of comprehension for rocket science!
Alexandria
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This entire series is so cute. The illustrations are very basic, as is the writing style. This is deliberate, as it lets the scientific ideas shine through and opens up a lot of space for caretakers to apply the lessons in games or songs or conversations once the book has been read.

Most kids are not going to actually grasp the concepts in these books. But the explanations really clarify things for the adults reading them, and that's a good start! I'm sure we've all heard how an airplane moves a
Yasi
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty much in love with these books because they try to explain very convoluted subjects in layman's terms. The title says "for babies" but I think this is great for most adults!
GooseberryCompote
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-ya, nonfic
I now understand lift, thrust and air flow. Sorta.
Emily
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe if my parent’s would have read me “Rocket Science for Babies” I’d have done better in science class. Even I understood it!
Nick
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Our library purchased this series of books, thinking that they might be good beginning science books. They could have been, had the creators done a little more homework on their intended audience, and how to create a book FOR that audience. The actual books are interesting, but a weird mix of material for older kids with a format aimed at younger ones, and with things left out or stated in misleading ways.
This one, however, was so annoying that I felt I had to review it, as a warning.

The first h
Susan
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I might finally understand lift! This is the Penny version rather than the Sheldon Cooper version! This board book has clear, bright, simple illustrations that make the concepts of rocket science actually easy to understand. As for babies, that’s a stretch, but they will love the pictures and the concept of print. The first rocket is a pacifier. Clever and eye catching for a little one. Sentences are short and to the point, making it clear to those of us who know very little about these ...more
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-ya, nonfiction
I picked up these picture book ARCs (Rocket science for babies, General relativity for babies, and Newtonian physics for babies) for my expected nephew while at Digipalooza. The illustrations are very simple with tons of white space, and very short, bold sentences, one per page. The design is very good. I like that these might help parents think about using more science terminology with young children. Why is the sky blue? Physics.
Thorny
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
These are great board books for babies or small children. I'm not sure I approve of their final pages announcing that, simple concepts having been encountered within them, "you are now a rocket scientist". Parents shouldn't fall for the conceit that these books will make their children geniuses, but introducing little ones to science seems to me never a bad thing.
Joanne Roberts
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I love this crazy idea. I don't know if it's truly a useful idea, but it was interesting and kid-friendly. This book in the series incorporates shapes, lift, air flow and propulsion. I think it would have been stronger if the book stuck to aeronautics instead of trying to add rockets. The art is colorful and simple.
Graham Pigeon
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Really enjoyed this book as both a learner and as a parent. Very basic, easy to understand principals of early rocket science explaining how planes and rockets remain in flight. Fascinating! Really enjoyed this book.
Allie
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I just bought copies of this book for my niece and nephew for Christmas! Shhhh, don't tell! :)

It's cute, with simple drawings and easy explanations for lift and thrust, and since my husband basically is a rocket scientist, hopefully our sisters won't hate us for starting 'em off young.
Gregg Smith
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The only thing preventing me from rating this higher is that it should really be called "Aerodynamics for Babies"

But it's a quick read and keeps a (nearly) 2 year old with the attention span of a pigeon entertained.
Maria Shuffit
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owen-s-books
I absolutely love this series and I think this one might be my favorite - it did a really great job of relating the concepts to things that kids can relate to, like showing how a ball moves vs. how an airplane wing moves. Very cool!
RJ
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfic, children
I mean, I don't get it, but I always found lift particularly confusing anyway, and also I often reflect on how that episode of Muppet Babies about atoms and molecules stuck with me way more than the actual school lessons I had about it. So I think this series of books is still a win, if imperfect.
Iwaswondering
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! This is going to become my “most gifted” book set.

The Science for Babies series is brilliantly done. In this book, the author manages to break down the basic concepts of Rockets and Thrust into a few easily digestible nuggets.
Asher H.K.
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me make sure I understand this. Lift is caused by a difference in air pressure which is, in turn, caused by a higher air speed over the top of the airfoil. I think I can do this rocket science thing.
Nathan
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Disappointingly, this was mostly aerodynamics for babies. It would be better with less material on airfoils and more on the Oberth effect.
Melissa Rininger
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of David's favorite books. We bought this one back in May with three others and all four have significant wear. They are requested every night. Sometimes several times a night.
Marissa
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A little boring, even for babies, but lift is important!
Solomon
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mommy read me this book that we borrowed from the library.
Mandi
I am reading this book to my baby, with the hope she will understand it one day.
Rachel
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Satvika
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the other books
Angela Evans
Of the set of Ferrie books we have surprisingly enough this was the only one Laura wasn't too interested in.
Megan
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Don't know about babies, but this book was definitely at my level of rocket science! Science explained in basic language and pictures. Good stuff.
Patricia Gmitrovic
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steam, boardbook
Big ideas, simple explanations and a pacifier that looks like a rocket on the cover!
Alisha
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute and simple read. I read this to my son for his reading time.

• Counting on Community
  • First Flight Around the World: The Adventures of the American Fliers Who Won the Race
  • This Is Not A Book
  • Baby Loves Aerospace Engineering!
  • I Am So Brave!
  • Justice (Lawless, #2)
  • Black? White! Day? Night! - A Book of Opposites (Neal Porter Books)
  • The Dream Thief
  • Searching for Super (Almost Super, #2)
  • Hyacinth and the Secrets Beneath
  • We Sang You Home
  • Romeo & Juliet: A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • The Ring of Five (The Ring of Five Trilogy, #1)
  • Alabaster Shadows (Alabaster Shadows, #1)
  • The Lost Cities: A Drift House Voyage
  • The Princess in My Teacup
  • Flora and the Chicks: A Counting Book by Molly Idle
  • Rhymoceros
I am Chris Ferrie, father of four and happy husband. My day job is academic research where I follow my curiosity through the word of quantum physics. My passion for communicating science has led from the most esoteric topics of mathematical physics to more recently writing children’s books.