Start by marking “ABCs of Physics” as Want to Read:
ABCs of Physics

ABCs of Physics

The ABC's of Physics introduces a new physics concept for every letter of the alphabet, all the way from Atom to Zero-point energy.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published October 3rd 2017 by Sourcebooks Explore (first published August 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about ABCs of Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABCs of Physics

Start your review of ABCs of Physics
Jeimy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know what I'll be buying for the next baby shower I'm invited to!In this STEM-motivated world, Ferrie's scientific ABC board books are a must for babies.
Bea
Slightly better than the ABCs of Mathematics by the same author but still over the heads of the targeted audience.
April
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Okay, so of course we were going to get these Chris Ferrie books. And in theory they are great! But the execution is just so poor. The images are really boring and vague to the point that sometimes Nathan doesn't even quite understand what the diagrams are trying to convey. Additionally, the descriptions are so bad. Like: "M is for Magnet! A magnet is something that has a magnetic field."

If you're really trying to teach babies about science you're gonna have to meet them halfway, Ferrie.
Amanda
A board book teaches me about Physics? I learn more and understand and enjoy this more then some of my classes in school...huh, who would have thought?
Baby Bookworm
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! We have a special 3-for-1 review today, taking a look at three board books from the Baby University series by Chris Ferrie: ABCs of Science, ABCs of Physics, and ABCs of Mathematics.

On each page of this set of ABC STEM books for little ones, readers are introduced to a letter and a corresponding scientific concept, element, reaction, idea, particle, etc. Each page is then broken
Sharon Tyler
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ABC's of Physics by Chris Ferrie is not your average board book, and it is not a simple alphabet book. Instead, this book introduces a new physics concept for every letter of the alphabet, all the way from Atom to Zero-point energy.

ABC's of Physics is an introduction to physics for all ages. Everyone can get something out of it. I finished this little book and had a much better understanding of many physic concepts. My elementary school age children found it accessible, and I think that toddlers
Carolynn M
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I will always be a Sandra Boynton board book fan, I am a pretty big new believer in these books by author Chris Ferrie. Now that I am a Gramma, I'm discovering new board books, and these are fantastic. They teach with the same bright engaging colors without pandering. Ferrie is able to simplify ideas to introduce complex ideas. We all know babies and toddlers aren't going to suddenly grasp the finer points of physics, but to be able to snuggle the baby up, and read a book that isn't just ...more
Victoria B.
Is it a little complex for babies? Yes. Is it a little complex for the adult (me) reading it to my baby? Also yes. But did I learn some stuff? Yeah, I did. The illustrations - while relative to the content - are hit or miss to keep my infant's attention. But I really like what the book is trying to do: "introduce small children to big ideas." Read enough to small children early on will create a knowledge base when reintroduced later in an educational setting.

Plus side: My older child (11 y/o)
Najma
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love science
My first book to read in 2018 . I liked it , it was a short interesting read about general concepts in physics. the illustrations were simple and the information were simple yet good enough to make you have a general idea and open your mind to read more about physics. I feel this book works more for parents who are reading for their babies as well as for junior high students who are interested or getting interested in science.
Lisbet
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is my new go-to baby present (along with a stack of bibdanas which are seriously the most adorable and useful fashion accessory/bib ever. Go to Etsy and get thee some bibdanas. For real, theyre adorable).

Its my not so subtle way to get kids interested STEM at an early age. Come to the sciences, we have pi!

With three level of explanation for each letter concept, this book is not just an ABC book, but an easy way to introduce young kids to some basic physics information.
A.C. Paige
***I received an ARC from Netgalley for an honest review***

My understanding is that the idea of these books is to introduce children to new vocabulary and ideas while they are young even if they can't quite grasp them because background knowledge is very useful when it comes time to really grasp the topic.

I'm fine with this concept, but the book it still so very dry.
Stacey M
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, net-galley
This was a very cute book. I can't wait to buy a copy of this for my baby's library. It deals with some great scientific concepts. This would be great for toddlers (as well as younger kids) but this is a really well done intorduction into Physics. I was very inpressed with this book. I was given a copy of this book from Net Galley for an honest review. This book will be published October 3rd!!
Eva_Amaré
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: f
Mama says it's never too early to start learning stuff. Sometimes mothers are wrong. This is probably a great book, but not for us just yet. Our 1 star is based solely on the fact that we had no idea what was going on here. Maybe in a couple years?❓ ...more
Emily
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I understand what Sheldon does at work on The Big Bang Theory! I learned quite a bit from a baby book, hah. The ABCs of Physics was understandable and interesting. Definitely a great way to give children a jump start on STEM! ...more
TJ & AJ
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ajs-reads, our-books
AJ has little to no interest in this one. I love the idea, but at her age the pictures are just too boring and the words don't mean anything. We'll see if she feels differently when she can understand a little more.
Quintina
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A multifaceted board book introducing toddlers to physics concepts. It can be read as an alphabet books, simple physics concepts or more detail explanations of the concepts. This series is a game changer in the board book category.
Emily
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iris
Usually these gimmicky board books designed to appeal to parents dont do much for babies, but this one works pretty well. 3 levels of text and simple illustrations mean that it should grow well w/ Iris. Bonus point for delighting Dad. ...more
L
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Author provides leveled and colored text for use with babies, toddlers and older readers.
Jeani
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really love this series. Reading it to my 1 and 7 year olds. I'm learning a lot, too, LOL.
Evelyn Song
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gbd, 科学
start later since gbd has not interest on it yet
Kelly
I don't even personally know adults who would grasp this. And it's a board book? For babies??? Good concepts.
Ryan
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is no simple ABC book, but rather a detailed look at science concepts for little ones. It works for even the biggest scientist geek.
Janna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-jason
Bit high for my 2.5.
Dana
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is clearly driven by the outcry for STEM driven content. With that stated, there are three levels of skills on each pages content. Even adult readers will learn. ...more
JULIE ☼
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a copy was kindly provided by netgalley on behalf of the publisher.

Physics is a large point of interest for me and I hope it is also one of my sons interests in the future. Again, as with ABCs of Mathematics, this book is something I plan to purchase for my son in the future, as he is only one and I'm quite certain would not understand it. I found the book easy to follow and read. I also can envision, when using this book as a learning tool, a child will present questions on its context which is
Jessica Starzyk
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
I thought that this book was phenomenal! It had simple pictures and simple definitions. It was a book that even young readers could enjoy. It begins the curiosity into science and the world around us. I could even see this book being used as a type of study guide for young science learners.

Grade: 4-5
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • Chopsticks
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • Don't Push the Button!
  • Why The Face?
  • I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3)
  • Happy Hippo, Angry Duck
  • Mrs. Peanuckle's Fruit Alphabet
  • Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3
  • Let's Paint!
  • I Am a Bunny
I am Chris Ferrie, father of four and happy husband. My day job is academic research where I follow my curiosity through the word of quantum physics. My passion for communicating science has led from the most esoteric topics of mathematical physics to more recently writing childrens books. ...more

News & Interviews