Start by marking “The Vets at Hope Green” as Want to Read:
The Vets at Hope Green

The Vets at Hope Green

A heart-warming and inspiring story about living the simple life, which readers are already likening to All Creatures Great and Small, 'like a Sunday Night ITV drama'

'Like a plate of hot-buttered crumpets and a mug of tea - warm, comforting and utterly delightful!'
Annie Lyons (author of The Choir on Hope Street)

Sam has always dreamed of working with animals...

But her r

Published June 1st 2017 by Ebury Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Vets at Hope Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vets at Hope Green

Rebecca Carter
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely little short story about Sam, a woman who is feeling a bit fed up of London life. Her relationship with her boyfriend isn't as great as it used to be, her job as a vets receptionist has lost its appeal, and she finds herself yearning for the more simple and quiet life in a pretty rural village, living in a cottage with pets and eventually kids. The only problem is her boyfriend wants the opposite. He loves life in London and doesn't particularly like kids or animals. So Sam deci ...more
Jenny Hale
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book! I fell in love with the sleepy little village of Hope Green and all the characters in it. Just as I found myself smiling in a complete state of delight, something would happen that would send me frantically page-turning to find out more. Perfect pace, beautiful descriptions, and fantastic characters. 5 warm and fuzzy stars!
Rachel Gilbey
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally published as four separate parts, I have waited to read the full book in one, and I'm so glad I did. At least two of the parts had mini cliffhangers, that kept me on the edge of my seat, at least until I turned the pages and just added to the drama of the book. It is a story filled with cute animals, a not overly happy vet, a girl who just wants to be more than a vets receptionist and seems to really love animals, plus her grandmother who is great. Each of the four parts were short an ...more
Nicola Clough
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this more than five stars if I could as was so excellent. It's the first book I've read by this author and now can't wait for more. It's so like all creatures and small and such a heat warming book and such an easy read. I would love a follow on to find out what happens next. Sam lives in London and works as a receptionist in a vets but always wanted to be a vet but her past stops her. She is unhappy in London and loves the village where her nan loves so moves there when she s ...more
Ali Bookworm
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly I loved the cover of this book and knew it was going to be a nice little read. I wasn't wrong. I absolutely loved it. From start to finish. I loved all the characters and the way the story unfolded I also cried in a few places and especially me being an animal lover with an elderly 19 year old cat. It was well written and flowed nicely and very easy to read. I didn't want it to end and it made me want to pack up and move to Hope Green myself. Can't wait for the next book.
Suze Lavender
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sam works as a receptionist for a vets in London. She loves animals, but isn't allowed to do much with them even though she has the right papers. Sam is in a relationship, but she isn't happy and instead of staying with her boyfriend during her holidays she decides to visit her grandmother in Hope Green. Sam loves the countryside, but it isn't as calm as she thought it would be. The reason for this is the local vet, Joe, he isn't friendly at all. This affects her more than it should. However, Sa ...more
Amber Grenville-Smith
An utterly charming witty read with great characters.
Donna Maguire
I really enjoyed this book! I loved it from the first few chapters and it really pulled on my heartstrings at times, I loved Sam's character, her background story and how she chose to make her new life away from London. I really enjoy reading books on animals and vets so this one was right up my street. Definatley one for animal lovers and fans of romance and chick lit - 5 stars from me.
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not normally my genre of choice but really loved this heart warming novel. Found myself finishing it in about three hours! The perfect summer read.
Nessa
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book from start to finish. Such a truly beautiful story with well written and lovable characters, not to mention the adorable animals, Ebony was my favourite.

It was a nice easy read, the story flowed well. I loved the story & characters so much, that I really didn't want it to end.

I've got my fingers crossed that a follow on book to this, will be written.
Alison
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a charming tale, first part in a series of shorts .. Sam is living in London working as 'just' a receptionist in a vet surgery. Her love of animals meant it should be her dream job but she is in a rut. Her relationship with Adam seems to have become stale, do they still want the same things? Sam fantasises about a cottage in the country, white picket fence scenario .. so instead of going to visit his parents as arranged she decides to go and spend the Easter holidays with her Nana P ...more
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Vets at Hope Green by Sheila Norton is the full length novel, combining serialised parts Escape to the Country, Follow Your Heart, Too Close to Home and A New Start. I’ve read a few four-part novels before and enjoyed them, but I’ve always found I prefer to wait for the whole book rather than the novellas, as they leave me wanting more. The Vets at Hope Green is the story of Sam who is receptionist at a veterinary practise in London. Her relationship with Adam, her boyfriend, has hit a rough ...more
Sylvia
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved every book of Sheila Norton and have read them for years. Her characters are really well written and I can often recognise them in people I know. The Vets At Hope Green is quite good. Sam is a receptionist in London, a job she loves even though she really wants to be a vet. Instead of going with her boyfriend to stay at his parents she goes to Dorset to stay with her Nan in Dorset. While there she meets the vet. Why is he so rude and dismissive? How can she find him so attractive? S ...more
Rebecca Pursell
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Its not my usual read but I often need a break from thrillers or my usual genres.

Its a cheesy, feel good story. This is the first time I have read anything by this author and I enjoyed her writing style thoroughly.
The only reason why this isn't a five star is the cringe ending of the book (I won't spoil it)
But other than that, it's a cute story about a woman who wants more from her busy city job and moves to the country with her nana.
I will read more by this author in the fu
Miss Skye Kite
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love this story, I took a break from reading for a few weeks and this book upon my return has re lit my fire for such amazing stories, I absolutely loved everything about this book, making me want more and more, definitely worth a read if you want to fall in love with the main character and everyone else too :)
Ukgardenfiend
A cozy gentle story with lots of animals and an idealised Dorset village.

About the only true thing about the village is how difficult it would be to get there - a long hilly road in and out, just the one road....

But who cares really?

It's a warm story and the characters are well portrayed, foibles and all, and who wouldn't want Nana as their Grandmother?
Sarah Baines
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant book by Sheila Norton. It's warm and fun and chock full of great characters - especially Nana and Ebony the cat is just adorable. Sheila Norton is fast becoming one of my favourite authors and I sincerely hope she releases another book soon.
Jay Hill
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.

A charming, easy read. I used to work in a vets myself so I think I was always going to enjoy it! Perfect book for reading in the garden over the summer.

4 stars
Vicky Cawkill
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read, read-2019
Was a lovely book to read, with a really happy ending. Couldnt help but smile all the way through this book. Has a couple of sad parts, but like any good book, they fit in perfectly. Hope theres a second one to this book as it would be good to see what happens.
Mel
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly.....I didn't like any of the main characters and the premise was way out in left field.
Felicity Drew
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful right from the beginning. Perfectly paced and loooved the ending!
Hannah (Sakurahan or ForeverBooks18)
Erin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first installment in Sheila Norton's new four par series The Vets at Hope Green. The story is all about vet practice receptionist Sam who's at a bit of a crossroads in her life with relationship and work decisions hanging over her. Sam heads to her Nana's to get some good old country air into her lungs and to take a break from her city life.

I love the sound of Hope Green. I used to live in a little village myself and it all came rushing back - everyone knowing each other, the friends
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first instalment of The Vets at Hope Green and I really enjoyed it.

The location was beautifully described and the characters were very well written and easy to envisage. I could almost hear their individual voices in my head as I read!

Athough this was only short it has left me wanting to know more and eagerly looking forward to the next instalment to see what decisions Sam makes about her future!

Thank you to Net Galley and the publishers for letting me read this ARC in return for an
Shirley Whittemore
I loved it a lovely story of a young woman leaving the city for a country life . And new beginnings all round Need to read the follow ups now !
Virginia Letherbarrow
Jan 24, 2017
RICHARD AYRES
Jun 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
I live in Chelmsford, UK, with my husband Alan. We have three married daughters and six grandchildren. I've been writing ever since I was a little girl, and finally achieved my lifelong ambition to have a novel published, with the acceptance in 2002 of 'The Trouble With Ally'. Prior to this, I'd been having short stories published in women's magazines for about ten years.

My most recent books are