Start by marking “The Function of the Orgasm (Discovery of the Orgone #1)” as Want to Read:
The Function of the Orgasm (Discovery of the Orgone #1)

The Function of the Orgasm

(The Discovery of the Orgone #1)

This book describes Reich's medical and scientific work on the living organism from his first efforts at the Medical School of the University of Vienna in 1919 to the laboratory experiments in Oslo in 1939 which revealed the existence of a radiating biological energy, orgone energy.

The subject of "sexuality" is basic to this work, and Reich shows clearly its importance for
Published May 1st 1986 by Farrar, Straus & Giroux (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Function of the Orgasm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Function of the Orgasm

Start your review of The Function of the Orgasm (Discovery of the Orgone #1)
Johann
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I found this book and Reich's 'Character Analysis' outside a Walgreens as I was walking back home from exercising. This obviously endows me with perfect insight in understanding his work better than anyone else. These are first impression thoughts and if you disagree with my summary please do not call the police on me I am on parole.

Let me start by typing out Reich's definition of 'orgastic potency':

'Orgastic potency is the capacity to surrender to the flow of biological
Kaplumbağa Felsefecisi
Wilheim Reich'ın cinsellik psikoterapistliği yaptığı ve bu doğrultuda yazdığı ilk kitabı. (Araştırmalarımla öyle olduğunu tespit ettim. Yanlışsa düzeltebilirsiniz.)Dolayısıyla kafasındaki teorik bilgilerin çoğunu deneyselleştirmesinin henüz mümkün olmadığını birkaç bölümde dile getiriyor. Ben ki Karen Horney, Simone de Beauvoir, Judith Butler, Malinowski, Evelyn Reed gibi yazarlardan ve külliyatı bir araya getiren Foucault'un Cinselliğin tarihini okumuş olan biri olarak, bu kitapta oldukça eksik ...more
Cameron
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reich does a fantastic job of giving case examples and how he treated his patients. A few things to keep in mind:

- this is just one approach to psychoanalysis. it doesn't mean every problem is psychosomatic; one should check for health issues first. but he does make the point that they can exacerbate one another (health vs. sexual issues).

- i wish there was more information as to his specific methods of analyzing and what questions/prompts he used. i'd like to apply them to myself.

- some of his
Matthew Conroy
May 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Some interesting ideas, including how people's inability to experience orgasm fully leads them toward fascism. Mr. Reich certainly has his heart in the right place, but I'm not sure his science is very well supported (orgone?).

Only an "ok" read, as it is often tedious - it could be much condensed.
Fiona Robson
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I've always been fascinated by energies, auric fields etc., so wanted to read this to research Orgone energy. Fascinating book. Even though it's verbose, I couldn't put it down.
Paula Kirman
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite out of date in claiming that all neurotic psychological problems stem from repressed sexual urges, but definitely valuable to read as a historic volume in the study of psychology and sexology.
Marta Vila
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pese a ser un estudio científico, me parece ameno y lleno de fuerza y convicción; explica muy bien cómo llegó a formular la teoría del orgasmo y de la economía sexual y cómo fue llegando a ella con la praxis. Da cuenta también de su relación con Freud y el psicoanálisis y te haces una idea de esos años en los que Europa se vio asolada por el fascismo... Si añadimos esa inquebrantable voluntad de buscar el bienestar de los humanos, no solo del individuo, sino de la sociedad entera y su defensa de ...more
Orgon Solo
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Discovery of the Life Energy, Vol.1, by Wilhelm Reich. Follows Reich's initial work with Freud; the discovery of the energetic connection between the psyche and soma; the role of sexuality, especially in orgasm, in establishing emotional and physical health, and the discovery of the orgone, or life energy. Covers Reich's therapeutic method, as it evolved from the early character-analytic vegetotherapy, into orgone therapy. A milestone set of discoveries, nearly lost to the world due to the ...more
Minela
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every people must read this book...
Zoe Zuniga
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
I skimmed some of this, it was really technical. the author was a scientist not a writer so it is not very accessible.
David
Jun 06, 2012 added it
Eye-opening.
Ali
Dec 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
I have no idea if there is any other author, writen so wide and analytic about the body of sexs and sex.
"گوش کن آدمک" تنها اثر ویلهم رایش، روانشناس، پژوهشگر و زیباشناس آلمانی ست که توسط حسین آقایاری به فارسی ترجمه شده و البته در خارج از کشور چاپ و منتشر شده است. انتشارات نوید، آلمان، 1365
دکتر رایش که به متخصص امور جنسی هم مشهور است و آثار تکان دهنده ای در این زمینه نوشته، بانی نگاهی تازه به مساله جنس ، بدن زن و مرد و بنیادهای فیزیکی و روانی مسایل جنسی ست.
اثار او بصورت گسترده ای در همه ی زبان
Sean
I finally finished this, after reading it on and off for a couple of years. Reich's writing can be overly academic and dry. The main things I took away from "The Function Of The Orgasm" are Reich's concept of 'muscular armor' and the account of his tumultuous professional relationship with Sigmund Freud. He also goes into his discovery of an energy he referred to as the 'orgone', which is similar to earlier concepts like animal magnestism.

There's plenty of information on-line about orgone, if
Eliza
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sexuality, psychology
Wilhelm Reich, an Austrian psychoanalyst has written this detailed work on how he has with immense
sincerity understood the function of the orgasm. Through studying sexually sick patients and with great dedication coming to new conclusion about the "sex problem". Which is definitely as disturbing today as it was at Reich's time. I recommend it to anyone interested in understanding sexuality problems and the underlying science of sex from a different point of view.
Angela
Dec 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly a bit outdated - all about neuroses stemming from sexual repression. He started out as Freud's student but broke w/ him when Freud said sexuality came on at a certain age (I think 4 or 5?). Reich believes sexuality is socially influenced from the time of infancy. I really like his ideas - I don't know how Freud got so popular while so few have heard of Reich.
Matthew Giobbi
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just read it.
Matthew
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most of Reich's books there are revisions made after the point where he started to go wrong. But when this book is good, it is "good as gold." So one point off for Bions and Orgone.
Michael
Oct 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: occult-esque
I only bought this as a Grant Morrison fanboy, and I passed it on many years ago. Can't say I remember much about it.
Renetta Neal
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found the language of this book very technical but I was fascinated and determined to stick with it.

Amongst other things, I am struck by the fact that this book was written in the 1930's and the knowledge in it is so new to me.

Suggestions of how the education system stifle the life energy.....not such a new concept then and not many improvements there yet I fear!

Ermal
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read. Very informative in so many levels
Lysergius
Jourdain Stevens
Nov 02, 2019
Crystal
Jan 21, 2008

• What is it like to be a bat?
  • The Sound of Waves
  • Olfi Obermeier und der Ödipus
  • Het seksuele bolwerk
  • Die letzten Kinder von Schewenborn
  • The Wave
  • Pensées
  • The Star
  • Meister Eder und sein Pumuckl (Pumuckl #1)
  • Die Kugeln in unseren Köpfen.
  • The Serpent (Atlan, #1)
  • Quitten für die Menschen zwischen Emden und Zittau
  • Am Samstag kam das Sams zurück (Sams, #2)
  • Johnny and the Bomb (Johnny Maxwell, #3)
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
  • Der Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • Some Summer Lands (Atlan, #4)
Jewish Austrian-American psychiatrist and psychoanalyst.

Reich was a respected analyst for much of his life, focusing on character structure, rather than on individual neurotic symptoms. He promoted adolescent sexuality, the availability of contraceptives and abortion, and the importance for women of economic independence. Synthesizing material from psychoanalysis, cultural anthropology, economics,

The Discovery of the Orgone (2 books)
  • The Cancer Biopathy (Discovery of the Orgone #2)
“Gradually it became clear that it is a fundamental error to try to give the sexual act a psychological interpretation, to attribute to it a psychic meaning as if it were a neurotic symptom. But this is what the psychoanalysts did. On the contrary: any idea occurring in the course of the sexual act only has the effect of hindering one's absorption in the excitation. Furthermore, such psychological interpretations of genitality constitute a denial of genitality as a biological function. By composing it of non-genital excitations, one denies the existence of genitality. The function of the orgasm, however, had revealed the qualitative difference between genitality and pregenitality. Only the genital apparatus can provide orgasm and can discharge sexual energy completely. Pregenitality, on the other hand, can only increase vegetative tensions. One readily sees the deep rift which formed here in psychoanalytic concepts.” 9 likes
“I came to consider the instinct as nothing more than the "motor aspect of pleasure."
7 likes