Start by marking “The Fight (Drama High, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fight (Drama High, #1)

The Fight

(Drama High #1)

Brimming with the same spirited sense of style and magic as Disney's That's So Raven, Drama High introduces a fun, brazen new series featuring a young sistah who's learning that life in the hood is nothing compared to life in high school . . .

Proudly hailing from Compton, USA, sixteen-year-old Jayd Jackson is no stranger to drive-by shootings or run-ins with the friendly
Published October 1st 2006 by Dafina Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fight, please sign up.

Start your review of The Fight (Drama High, #1)
Katelynn
Dec 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
This book would make me want to talk about why KJ brokeup with Jayd because she wouldn't have sex with him. I've just started reading this book and it captured my attention because it's seems so real. In the beginning, Jayd gets dumped by her boyfriend, gets a huge pimple on her nose the day before the first day of school, sees a man get shot, and has to deal with her moms nagging. So far I really like this book and I can't wait to read more.
Abby
Nov 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen, street-lit
Read for a genre study on teen urban fic. I know this series is super-popular with some teens, but I really couldn't get past the fact that the narrator repeatedly referred to sex as "giving up the cookies." To make things worse, during a conversation on unprotected sex, one of her girlfriends tells her that having sex without condom will "make your cookie crumble." True story.
Tymia
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD...IT'S VERY MATURE IT TEACHES YOU THINGS ABOUT BOYS AND GIRLS AND WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN YOU GET IN HIGH SCHOOL IT HAS VERY USE LANGUAGE AND IS VERY FUN TO READ.
Danielle
Okay, so when it comes to African American Urban Literature, I'm always on the fence on whether I like it or not. The protagonist, Jayd, is supposed to be smart so I thought I would like this book alot more. But I really didn't. The plot wasn't bad, I liked that, it was the slang, the dialogue that got on my nerves. Everytime I saw the words, "giving up my cookies." I wanted to stab myself in the eye.

There are people who do refer to everyone as sistah or brotha, and speak ebonics. I don’t mind
Nardsbaby Reader
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: teens
Makes Me Wanna Holler

Jayd Jackson is a `rebel with a mouth,' street smart, book smart and wise about the games guys play. Jayd is still a typical girl and she fell for one of the cutest, more popular guys at South Bay High. KJ was the nicest, most considerate boyfriends a girl could want. That is until it came time for the cookie distribution. Translation, Jayd wasn't ready for sex so Mr. Considerate moved on to the next chick.

It's the first week of school and drama seems to be lurking all
Allison, Kawalec.
Kate
Apr 04, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Don't bother. Teens would probably like it, but it is just too silly (even for me!)
Ikea V
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
THIS BOOK HAS MAD DRAMA AND REAL DOWN TO EARTH LOLZ
Bookishrealm
Sooooo haha this book was okay. I enjoyed it but it was the writing that brought down the rating. Sometimes the writing was really good and truly captured the voice of Jayd and other times it felt forced. I will be continuing the series because I’m interested in seeing what’s going to happen to Jayd and the rest of her friends. Overall a good pick for teen readers.
Ericaj
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Anayeli♥
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I choosed this book because it is really fun because it has interesting stuff and it also has good characters and they have fitghts and i like the books that have drama in them because they last long and they make the book more interesting than they are already are and the cover it is basically goes in with the story.The genre of this book is teen fiction. The setting was at shcool and the girls house.The description of the main character is that she is cool and she is in love with this guy and ...more
Sabrina
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
jayd wants to have her high school year with drama free , but ofcourse that doesnt wind up happening , theres alot of he say she say in this book ! This also connects to real life , because girls & boys now and days listen to he say she say and it winds up not being true but people dont care they just wanna fight right? well this is what this book is about its about a boy & A girl who are toqether and some girl trys to come in a steals her man . ( not saying any names ) its a really good ...more
Kricket
while the plot and characters seemed pretty realistic, the writing was just plain sloppy. the author constantly contradicts herself, goes off on random tangents, quotes vague song lyrics, and ignores aspects of the plot that should have been revisited. editorial errors abound. for a story that brings in a similar exciting plot and true-to-life characters, try Kendra by Coe Booth...who actually knows how to write.

as much as i disliked it, however, it makes me happy that girls at my library love
Sola
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is great, because teenage kids get a chance to see what really goes on in high school.
Or if you already in high school it shows that everyone goes threw drama and your not the only one who is.Teachs how to slove your drama how girls and boy treat each other.It shows what girls would do just to get to your man. They would do anything just so they can be with your man and make you mad so you can hate them.I think teenage kid's should really really really read this BOOK!!
Meg
Apr 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books
I have never given 1 star before, but to quote Mary J. Blige "No More Drama!" this book is terrible.
Ashley V.
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves drama!!
This book was decent,worth reading! It was about this girl name Jayd who is very pretty and one of the most popular girls of her clique and she had a boyfriend name kj,who broke up with her because she didnt get up the cookies for the finest brotha at drama high! As the new year begins at Drama High Jayd is so anxious to see all the drama that is about to come her way......Well 1st day of school happens and drama is already starting...Misty (Jayd's so called bestfriend) back-stabbed her and told ...more
Kathy
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This Book is wonderful! So basiclly this book is abouta young girlnamed Jayd whois stuck in thedrama of South Bay High Aka "Drama High." She goes on through the year with her so called friend misty. Later she figures out that misty was never really a good friend at all. why? Because misty likes KJ (Everyone does) But it just so happens that Jaydis going out with him. She jealous so pputs out all these traps for Jayd.

I would Reccomend this book to those people who love drama. Also the people who
Roslyn Sadler
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book "The Fight by L.Divine", is not really that interesting to me because it doesn't really get to me as the others did. I think this book was very mind-numing to me. Since I haven't got that far I think the first chapter is boring to me. But, I know it's going to get interesting soon, I just have to get into it. The reason why I think this book is dry is because it's really not talking about anything yet, and Jayd keeps going on about how her parents are really not fund with each other. ...more
Ceairia
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to most teens because it tells you about high school, aboout relationships, boys, and much more.

To me, the best part of the story is Jayd having to grow up in a neighborhood where she has seen shootings, stabbings, murders, robberies, and much more. Jayd labels herself as a person who knew it all, because of the stuff she has seen.

She was going with this boy named K.J. and that was her first boyfriend for high school. she wonted to drop out of school becaues of a
Aj'zalaya Miller
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From reading this book, i can conclude that jayd was strong,she never backed down, she never gave up on life,and most of all she didn't get in that much drama,she was worried about her education.education. Jayd always remembered what momma had told her,"never let a boy come between your learning,education is first, boys are second and drama is last"jayd always kept that and she will not let her mom down...I predict that if they make another drama high book,jayd will never let anyone step on her ...more
Amanda
May 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teen Librarians
The first in a series. Jayd is a bamf who won't give up her cookies, even to the cutest guy in school. She dabbles in hanging out, chatting on the phone and spirit homework. Also at the end of this book are group discussion questions, info about starting a book club, and something I had forgotten happens sometimes. They put the beginning of the next book at the end of the first book as a hook. I didn't read the hook, but I am going to read that next book.
Tiffany Spencer
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Fight
Plot: I think I’ll try a lil something different with this review. I’m going to review this like I’m the character doing the review. It’s good to switch it up every so often. So here goes. All credit goes to L. DIVINE. I DID NOT write the character I’m just reviewing as her. I hope this doesn’t infringe on some kind of copyright rule of thumb. Again, I DON’T CLAIM HER! I DON’T CLAIM HER! I DON’T CLAIM HER!

Why is there always some drama going on around me? First, my boyfriend KG breaks
Lupinus Texensis
I like where this is going! The quality of the writing is a little uneven, especially in the beginning of this book. But I have it on good authority that it improves throughout the series. Jayd and her family are realistic, three dimensional, and there's so much more to the story than a simple fish-out-of-water trope or even Sweet Valley boyfriend drama.
Tiara  Anderson
This book was really good. It is very relatable and filled with a lot of good action. I would recommend this book to every teenage girl to read because I think a lot of girl would be able to relate to it because of all of the drama.
Katie
May 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: to my teens
Shelves: readandenjoyedok
not the best storyline...but my teens love the title, the cover, and the characters they identify with...why do teens get in fights so much???
Annalyse Lefaire
Aug 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
i liked but then jade started to get annoying
India S.
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and it teaches a great lesson i will love to read another book from this author again this now has become my favorite book.....
Myrline
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The Book: The Fight (Drama High, #1) is about a Teenager name Jade Jackson in her high school and love life going from living with her mom to her grandmother. Jade is aa very talented young lady, but it seems as though drama seems to find her everywhere she goes. From drama at home, drama with friends she struggles with who she can trust as her close friend turn on her. The boy she thought was in love with her changes up. The drama high book is very much fiction but it seems s real as it relates ...more
Darlene Harrington
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Misty was a very mess lil girl u had both girls into a big drama cause she wanted kj to herself but am glad that the girls didn't fight and am glad shae came up to the school to tell the truth but Jayde grandma kinda got me scared with all the making of these potions and stuff but I can't wait to read the next book
Dannie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this series in the 6th to 9th grade. I'm 21 now. Currently, there are 18 books in the series. Though I remember really enjoying the first four in the series then, I stopped reading after the 12th book; the drama became repetitive and I just wanted the author to wrap up all loose ends and put an end to it already. I'm not sure if I'd like the books the same were I to reread them now.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I have just finished my book of Drama high: The Fight! 1 2 Oct 20, 2018 10:24AM

• Shortie Like Mine  (Shortie Like Mine #1)
  • Hot Girl
  • Indigo Summer (Indigo Summer #1)
  • Like Sisters on the Homefront
  • Secrets in the Shadows (Bluford High, #3)
  • Jason & Kyra
  • Until We Meet Again (Bluford High, #7)
  • Kendra
  • Broken China
  • So Not The Drama (Del Rio Bay Clique, #1)
  • Search for Safety (Bluford High, #13)
  • Schooled (Bluford High, #15)
  • Tears of a Tiger (Hazelwood High, #1)
  • Upgrade U
  • Played
  • The Test (Bluford High, #17)
  • Shrink to Fit
  • The Coldest Winter Ever
L. Divine is a young female author of the young adult fiction series Drama High. L. Divine is also a priestess who is originally from California, has lived in Jamaica and currently resides with her children in Atlanta. She also holds advanced degrees in African American studies from UCLA.

Drama High (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Second Chance (Drama High, #2)
  • Jayd's Legacy (Drama High, #3)
  • Frenemies (Drama High, #4)
  • Lady J (Drama High, #5)
  • Courtin' Jayd (Drama High,  #6)
  • Hustlin' (Drama High, #7)
  • Keep It Movin' (Drama High, #8)
  • Holidaze (Drama High, #9)
  • Culture Clash (Drama High, #10)
  • Cold as Ice (Drama High, #11)