Start by marking “Flight Patterns” as Want to Read:
Flight Patterns

Flight Patterns

The New York Times bestselling author of the Tradd Street novels tells the story of a woman coming home to the family she left behind--and to the woman she always wanted to be....

Georgia Chambers has spent her life sifting through other people's pasts while trying to forget her own. But then her work as an expert on fine china--especially Limoges--requires her to return
Published March 28th 2017 by Berkley Books (first published May 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Flight Patterns, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Stacy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lori Espino
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Julie
Flight Patterns by Karen White is a 2016 Penguin/NAL publication.

Another fantastic southern novel from Karen White!

This story has so many layers, my mind is still grappling with all the details and flourishes.

When Georgia Chambers, an antiques specialist, is commissioned to find pieces in a unique china set, bearing a bee pattern, it sparks a long forgotten memory. She believes she has seen a piece just like it in her childhood home. But, returning to Florida to search for it will open up a P
Book of Secrets
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars → Beekeeping, rare china patterns, and a decades-old mystery are the intriguing components woven into Karen White's family drama, FLIGHT PATTERNS.

Georgia and her sister, Maisy, have been estranged for a decade, and Georgia promised never to return to their coastal home of Apalachicola, Florida, where their grandfather is a beekeeper. That changes when Georgia, an expert in vintage things, is asked by a client to identify an unusual pattern of china, one that she's sure she saw before,
Lori
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No author can transport me to the southern coast like Karen White. The scent of pluff mud and sea salt permeate every page. I don't know that any of her novels will outshine the Tradd Street series for me, but they are still very enjoyable. My summer reading has begun. 4 stars.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Georgia vowed she would never return home after she and her sister had words and parted ways ten years ago.

But....never say never. James, a client of Georgia's looking for a special Limoges China pattern changed it all because Georgia had to go home to look for a similar piece that she remembers her grandmother had, and James went with her.

FLIGHT PATTERNS pulled me in immediately with the marvelous writing style of Karen White and the interesting research done on Limoges China and beekeeping.

Lea
Tina
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I first picked up this book because it's written by Karen White and I adore her books. The fact the lead character, Georgia, was an antiques china patterns specialist just intrigued me more as I love old china teacups.

I must say though the story did not really pull me in. I usually enjoy a good family drama/secrets story but I found this one a little slow. Plus I did not warm to the characters very much.

Karen White is a fabulous storyteller who adds a lot of family dynamics and secrets to her st
Judy Collins
What is Buzzing? FLIGHT PATTERNS Out in Paperback March 28, 2017.

**Congrats to Winner ** Amy Sullivan, Prescott Valley AZ! FLIGHT PATTERNS. Thanks for all the participation. Book Giveaway Contest, April 4-11 Blog Tour.

Talented Southern storyteller, Karen White returns following The Sound of Glass, with her best yet! Top 50 Books of 2016!

Judy Collins

Top 50 Books of 2016!

As mentioned in my last KW review: No one can tell it better than the "southern queen"--buried secrets, history, and mysterious attics. When all the secrets come to the surface, someone is "bound" to learn something and be a better person for them.

A complex, multi-layered, and moving family tale FLIGHT PATTERNS is set in rural Apalachicola, Florida. With intriguing dual ti
Jordan Theune
Jess (Primrose)
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen White is the author, southern setting, family dynamics, secrets, antiques, and bees. Yep, hits all the Jess Likes points. I have been a Karen White fan since the Tradd series lured me into her delightful books with strong female leads, mystery, southern settings, and just fine writing. Another terrific one to add to the pile. I also loved this new setting she takes us to in Appalachicola, Florida. I have new place to add to my travel list... especially after the descriptions of the scener ...more
Stacy - The Novel Life
So about Flight Patterns. I’m not sure what went wrong with this one, but for me, I simply could not buy into the premise, the characters or even the setting. And setting is typically this author’s strong point!

What I did not love:

Maisy. She was angry at the world, spiteful and simply not a nice person. It seemed like the author was trying to make a point with Maisy’s character and how our parents can affect us even into adulthood. I did not see any real growth in her character throughout the bo
Shannon Benson
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flight Patterns by Karen White

Bloggers Note:

When reviewing a book I don't usually include a summary of the story. If an author or reader wants to know what a book is about they can read the book jacket. What I believe anyone reading a review is looking for, is my opinion of the story, writing and author.

A good friend turned me on to Karen White a year or two ago and I found myself enjoying her writing style. Flight Patterns certainly lives up to a readers expectations of Ms. White. I believe it
Becky
A great summer read!

The prologue sucked me right in, France in Sept 1943 & then we jumped ahead to 2015 in New Orleans.

It had a southern feel & it was a family story, a mystery & a little bit of a love story, but not in the true romantic sense. ( well maybe a little of that too!)

The theme of bees ran through the entire book- each chapter started with a small line from a beekeeper's journal & the behavior of the bees so paralleled the behavior of the family in the book.

The main st
Lisa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mesmerizing tale about a quest for a teapot that reveals long held family secrets, the importance of forgiveness, and the sins of loving someone to much.

SUMMARY
Georgia Chambers lives in the Big Easy and is a foremost expert on Limoges china. An important and insistent client has her returning to the one place she swore she would never return to—her hometown of Apalachicola, Florida. Not much has changed in the thirteen years since she left the Florida gulf coast. She is rattled by seeing her e
CL
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When James Graf shows up at the auction house Georgia works at asking for an appraisal for the Limoges china that was his grandmother's and the promise of possible more work for her estate Georgia begins to work on identifying the bee pattern she remembers she has seen once before as a child. The rare pattern is hard to trace down and Georgia remembers that she had seen that pattern in her mother's closet but her mother wanted her to keep it a secret. She has not been home in over ten years and ...more
Debbie
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great family story. So many layers. So many secrets. So many issues. Loved the hisory. Loved the location (as I've been in that area). Loved that NOLA was included. Nothing quite like a divide amont sisters to suck you in and make ou want to know what caused it!

Getting info for a client brings Georgia home after a decade of being away. And that starts the ball rolling for so much more.

Really just a great story with great characters! And the bees!
Mary
Let me start by saying, I fell in love with the setting and theme of this story. Honeybees are fascinating little creatures and I've always been charmed by items designed with a bee motif. I thought White's use of the bee's flight pattern and habits of nature was a clever way to describe a woman's return to her family - kind of like a return to the hive. Each chapter begins with a bit of Bee 101 and it compares well to the storyline. I learned so many interesting facts about bees while reading t ...more
Nancy Baker
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - such a potent story. I'm speechless and want to just pick up the book and start it over again. Karen White has again proven why she is one of my favorite authors and this one may be my favorite so far. Her ability to speak to a heart through her poetic, descriptive style of writing is a true gift and talent.

This story crosses oceans and generations. Two half sisters (Georgia and Maisy) who have been estranged for nearly 10 years are forced to see one another again but reconciling is anoth
Laurel-Rain
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story with themes about journeys beginning and ending, the patterns of flight innumerable, the destination always being home, Flight Patterns takes us along for the ride. We find out more than we ever hoped to know about bees, we learn about loss and those who choose to stay apart rather than to forgive. And finally, we learn about how healing can begin.

Georgia Chambers, living her life in New Orleans, has stayed away from the family home in Apalachicola, Florida, ever since something happened
Stacy Boyles
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Karen White is one of my most favorite go-to fiction authors. I couldn't wait to read her newest book. I thought the story a little slow at times, but in hindsight it was necessary to get all the little details covered.
This is a story about a damaged family with the main character Georgie leading the way through this dysfunctional mess. Georgie goes back to her home for the first time in over 10 years for a work assignment. Her sister, Mazie does not want her to ever come back home and is such
Sue
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
I have read all of Karen White's books and each time I read a new one, it becomes my favorite of all but Flight Patterns may just remain my favorite. I absolutely loved this book from page 1 until the end.

Georgia moved to New Orleans from her family home in the Florida panhandle ten years ago. A client at the auction house where she works needed information about a set of Limoges china that his grandmother had left him. When Georgia realized that she had seen a piece of China in the same pattern
Susan Crowe
What an incredibly awesome book!! This is only my second book by this author but now I want to read them all!! I share more quotes from her books than any other books I've ever read! I'm just in awe at her imagination. Please, read this book. it deserves more than the 5*s I gave it. I wish there were more.
RoseMary Achey
A mystery, love story and family drama all wrapped into one slim volume! Karen White is becoming the quintessential Southern fiction writer. Her stories transport you to the small communities of the rural south. You can feel the heat, hear the cicadas, taste the sweet tea and smell the lavender as in the case of this new novel.
Kathryn
A very enjoyable and well written book. While I really liked it I found it a little slow and for all the revelations to be made, even though they were so foreshadowed they were not revelations by the time they happened.
Emily Higgins
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-drama
Georgia Chambers is estranged from her family. 10 years ago, after a disagreement with her sister, she had agreed not to visit again. Now an expert in old, fine china, a client brings in a piece of china with a pattern that likes like a piece of china owned by her family. In order to identify and value the china, Georgia goes back to her family home. The airing of all the old resentments also brings out answers to some of the questions about why her family is so disfunctional.
Mary
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating to me. I loved learning about bees! Each journal entry was a present. A story told from 3 different perspectives, about love and loss, redemption, and the always complicated family relationships. It tugged at my heart in spots.
Beth Bricker
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I want to become a beekeeper.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2016
In "Flight Patterns," Georgia is forced to go back home, a place she never wanted to go back to, for her work. She is an expert in old China and when James, a client, turns up with a hard-to-find limited edition Limoges piece, Georgia knows that she has seen the pattern before in the house she grew up in. Committed to finding out where the china came from, Georgia goes home, bringing James along for the ride. Georgia eventually realizes that you can never outrun the past no matter how hard you t ...more
Christin
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a fan of Women's Fiction
I would first like to thank the Publisher and First to Read for the wonderful opportunity to read this Advanced Reader's Copy!

Flight Patterns was my first read by Karen White and I was not disappointed! This is a tender, beautiful story about finding yourself, letting go of grudges, the importance of forgiveness and family/friends. I was drawn in almost immediately and I cared about the character's and loved the way Ms. White wrote the character's and the gorgeous story around them. Flight Patte
Marie Horning
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book over-describes everything. The author constantly reminds you of events that happened earlier in the book. Maybe she assumes you aren't bright enough to remember them on your own? It's repetitive and patronizing and annoying. This is the type of book that you could read while drinking a couple cocktails because you're not going to miss anything anyway!

She describes four (Four!) different characters as having "beautiful, pale skin who obviously stayed out of the sun as much as possible t
Donna
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this author. Her The Sound of Glass is one of my favorites. She nails a few things in her books. The sense of place being one, especially the southern details. She creates a bit of longing too, that goes along with the places she writes about. She also not only creates strong characters, but she also does family relationships well. She gets to the gritty underside and then smooths it all out in a satisfying manner, that doesn't usually promote tooth decay.

I liked the story here and the
The Book Travelers: August 2016 -- Flight Patterns, by Karen White 2 8 Sep 01, 2016 03:15PM

• Where the Souls Go
  • A Peach of a Pair
  • Last Light Over Carolina
  • The Secrets She Carried
  • Miracle on I-40
  • A Week at the Lake
  • Stargazey Point (Stargazey, #2)
  • Requiem by Fire
  • Last Ride to Graceland
  • Summer Dance
  • Everything's Relative
  • Some Women
  • The Look of Love
  • Foreteller
  • The Last Chance Matinee (The Hudson Sisters #1)
  • The Art of Keeping Secrets
With more than 1.8 million books in print in eight different languages, Karen White is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of 23 novels, including the popular Charleston-set Tradd Street mystery series.

Raised in a house full of brothers, Karen’s love of books and strong female characters first began in the third grade when the local librarian issued her a library card and placed The
“If you want things to change, you have to stop waiting for someone else to make the first move.” 16 likes
“There are no limits to starting over. That’s why the sun rises every day. Unless you’re running in circles and then the outcome never changes.” 8 likes