Start by marking “Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)” as Want to Read:
Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)

Aya of Yop City

(Aya #2)

“[Aya] wittily delves into both the political and the pop during an enchanted era when anything seemed possible.” —Vibe Vixen

The original Drawn & Quarterly volume of Aya debuted last year to much critical acclaim, receiving a Quill Award nomination and praise for its accessibility and for the rare portrait of a warm, vibrant Africa it presents. This continuation of the
Published September 16th 2008 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published September 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Aya of Yop City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aya of Yop City

Bookishrealm
Update! Here's my full review: http://www.bookishrealmreviews.com/20...

That ending !! I'm already reading the 3rd book it was so freaking good!
leynes
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-writers
For the residents of Yopougon, everyday life is good. It is the early 1970s, a golden time - work is plentiful, hospitals are clean and well equipped, and school is obligatory. The Ivory Coast is as an island of relative wealth and stability in West Africa. For the teenagers of the town, though, worries are plentiful, and life in Yop City is far from simple.

Aya tells the story of its nineteen-year-old heroine, the clear-sighted and bookish Aya, and her carefree and fun-loving friends Adjoua and
Sam Quixote
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read the first Aya book after several years of avoiding comics and really enjoyed it. The artwork was fresh, the story (though somewhat soap opera-ish) was enjoyable, and the world seemed familiar to Westerners yet distinctively African. I picked this sequel up after a few years of reading hundreds and hundreds of comic books and found it to be not at all what I was expecting it to be.

The artwork is ok but the story is just too slight to make up an entire book. Aya is an independent woman who
Michael
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marisa Tasser, Jonie Koha
I don't think I would have appreciated this book as much as I did had I not been to West Africa. It is wonderfully evocative of the spirit, sense of humour, environment, culture, and people of this region. That being said, I would have all the same enjoyed this graphic novel even if I hadn't. For anyone who may be curious about contemporary Africa, I would recommend this to them without reservation.
Bine
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Auch der zweite Teil war extrem lustig und hat gleichzeitig so wichtige Themen angesprochen, ob jetzt für das Leben an der Elfenbeinküste oder ganz generell. Eine super Serie, bei der man einfach mitfiebern muss. Ich bin total gespannt auf den dritten Teil, auch wenn ich nicht weiß, wie ich daran komme, weil ich mir nur die ersten beiden Teile ausleihen konnte...
Leslie Reese
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: african-authors
In this the 2nd installment of a series of graphic novels written by Marguerite Abouet and illustrated by Clement Ouberie, the plot from the 1st book thickens and this one ends with a great soap-operatic cliff-hanger! The “Aya” stories take place in Africa’s Ivory Coast during the 1970s. The illustrations are expressive, and I love the “Ivorian Bonus” at the end of the book---in this case not only is there (1) a glossary of terms; (2) a recipe for “Chicken Kedjenou”; (3) illustrated instructions ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I enjoyed this second volume in the series: the story is engaging, the artwork vibrant, and the characters distinct. I still think the marketing of this series overstates its supposed lightheartedness and positivity in a major way; yes, it's set in Africa without including war, abject poverty, sickness, etc., but it's still by and large a story of working-class folks dealing with the fallout of their egregious sexual behavior (the girls' fathers are particularly shameless). Acting like the event ...more
תניה
I have been wanting to read this graphic novel for quite a while and I finally found it at my local library. Now, isn't that always the way?

The story of Aya and her girlfriends is intricate. It takes a while to learn to differentiate between the characters and know who's who. It becomes easier as you learn about all the character's motivations really quickly. This is an interesting insight into the Ivory Coast of the 70's - when the country was experiencing an economic boom - and a cultural his
Elie
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
The artwork in this graphic novel set in Cote d'Ivoire makes this book worth reading. The plot started mid-way in the usual comic book cycle and there wasn't enough character differentiation to hold a rather jarred storyline peppered with the usual African stereotypes: the young single mother, the authoritarian father, the bad boy whose come back from overseas. I would look through the pictures in the other installments, but otherwise not bother.
David Schaafsma
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-ya, gn-women
Ivory Coast, slice of life stories, and you get the feel of the place in the seventies... the pull to Europe and the US, the pull to maintain some cultural integrity, but this is not a big ambitious political book. It is an attractively drawn and entertaining view of this country in transition, with a focus on Aya and her mostly girl friends....
Blair
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started here without having read the first book, but it didn't matter. This is charming slice of life set in the Ivory Coast in the 1970s. The characters are well drawn, both figuratively and literally, and there is a nice sense of humour on display. Visually it's a little reminiscent of Joann Sfar's work, but it also brought to mind Gilbert Hernandez's Palomar stories.
Lucinda
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The second in a series translated from French, this graphic novel details the life story of a teenage girl growing up in a working class neighbourhood of Abidjan Ivory Coast in the 1970s (prior to the current issues of civil war, corruption and economic collapse that this country has faced for the last 30 years). Well, really this story tells very little about Aya (I see her as being more of a foil for her friends than an actual person inhabiting these stories, but maybe that will change as the ...more
Akoss
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The second volume continues Aya and her friends adventure or misadventures.
This part mostly dealt with people reaping what they sowed in volume one in terms of shenanigans and mischief. Alas I'm beginning to wonder if Bintou is just plain stupid or she thinks extremely high of herself. I don't know, but I hope vol 3 will give me an answer.
Everything else about the book is just as enjoyable as before even though this one is not as funny as the first.
It also ended with a very loud bang and I'm dyi
Alisa
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Both Aya books were good, but the 2nd one was much more complex, running several story lines simultaneously, based on character knowledge acquired during the more conventional and slower-paced first book.

It was really fun to learn about the Ivory Coast in the 1970s, and I especially enjoyed the notes at the end of the story about customs (like the print of your pagne literally advertises how you're feeling about life and love).
Zaz
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
J'ai trouvé l'histoire (enfin les histoires), bien plus captivantes et intéressantes que dans le 1er volume, probablement car moins orientées histoires d'ados. On y retrouve les mêmes personnages, mais mis face à de nouveaux défis ou responsabilités, agréables à découvrir et à suivre. Le tout bien mis en valeur par les graphismes.
Orla Hegarty
An easy insight into an area of the world I know very little about. Except for the ending. Unfortunately this type of 'ending' is far too common amongst my friends and acquaintances from around the globe.
Didi
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And the saga continues.... It's quite good and there are lots of laughs.
Paula
Mucho más dinámica que la primera parte. :)
Danika at The Lesbrary
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun! Gives the feel of a casual glimpse into people's everyday lives. Funny and relatable. I'll definitely be picking up more in the series.
Michael
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
The sequel to last year's Aya, Abouet's not reinventing anything. The story continues to revolve around three teenage girls living in the Ivory Coast circa the late 70s. It's a fun book, with breezy dialogue and complicated emotions and interactions. Oubrerie's artwork is difficult, as the girls are often hard to distinguish, but Abouet clues you in with enough dialogue cues to prevent the story from getting bogged down too often. What I liked least about this book is that it doesn't end - Aboue ...more
Angie
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Aya of Yop City”, is a graphic novel that follows the lives many Ivorian Coast people. In the beginning of the novel, there was conflict about who was Bobby’s (Adjoua’s son) real father was because he did not look like his mother nor did he look like Moussa (the boy that Adjoua claimed to be his father). And Bonaventure Sissoko a rich man who was Moussa’s father; did not believe that Moussa was Bobby’s and was angry at the fact that Moussa had to claim Bobby as his son because Adjoua’s family ...more
Alicia Farmer
Only when I went to record it, did I see that this is #2 in the series. I was sure it was #1. But that explains the beginning that left me a bit confused for a about 8 pages. The story lines were pretty soap opera-y, but it gave me a glimpse into some facets of life in the Ivory Coast. Interesting that it was written by a woman and its women characters embody several different female aspirations: education, motherhood, independence, wealth, marriage...

I'm in no rush to read more. The plot didn't
Alexandre Szolnoky
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Primeira vez que leio as histórias de Aya, sem saber que era uma série em vários volumes- na verdade achei que esse era o volume 1. Me lembra Love and Rockets, mas é bem mais simples e direta e os personagens são muito carismáticos. Como não conhecia a história levei um tempo para me habituar, e gostei muito desse quadrinho. A arte é elegante e meio rabiscada às vezes, porém as cores são muito bem feitas, e o resultado ficou ótimo. Recomendo e vou procurar os outros volumes da série.
Leif
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aya's story is still going strong and there's still a lot to like here. There are flashes of dramatic tension, whole arcs of mannered relationships that twist and bend and crash against each other, and plenty of comfortable entertainment made from the increasingly complicated lives of three young women... and the results of their life choices. More, please.
Margaret Pinard
What a lovely synchronistic chance that this came to our bookshop! I very much enjoyed hearing the cultural idioms of Cote d'Ivoire, the social ins and outs of being a young woman with a foot in two cultures, as well as the sprinkling of other characters who showed other difficulties of life everywhere. Fascinating and great artwork to show expression an emotions. Humor on point.
Aaron
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Got this from the library today but I didn't realize it was the second in the series! I'll have to catch up. It makes sense because I was unclear about the significance of certain events. I'm sure this will be cleared up in the other volumes. Abouet and Oubrerie make a great team.
Marja
I liked this one but I think I enjoyed the first one more. I feel there were too many storylines and people that weren't fully developed and I found it hard to engage with any of them. Also there wasn't any conclusion, it just ended, with a cliffhanger I might add.
Michelle
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The artwork in this was stunning for the attention to detail. Admittedly, I read this without realizing it was a sequel. So, it isn't too surprising that I was a little disoriented at first. I found the Ivorian Bonus section at the end to be my favorite part of the book.
Kest Schwartzman
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
very much a straightforward, easygoing, slice-of-life, comic with friends being friends and jerks being jerks.
Chelsea
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hardly anything about Aya herself in this one, which is a bummer, but Bobby the baby is cute and it's interesting to see how the neighborhood pitches in/doesn't to help Adjoua with him.
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Le Démon de la Tour Eiffel (Adèle Blanc-Sec #2)
  • Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 3: Strange Visitors from Another Century
  • Papillon Volume 5
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries, Vol. 2 (Sorcerers & Secretaries, #2)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
  • Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #2)
  • ElfQuest: The Searcher and the Sword
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 12: Platinum Flats
  • Dieu, le sexe et les bretelles (Titeuf, #1)
  • Paul Moves Out
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 5: Rise of the Olympian
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
  • Le Grand Vizir Iznogoud (Iznogoud, #1)
  • The Rabbi's Cat 2
Marguerite Abouet was born in 1971 in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, in Western Africa. She grew up during a time of great prosperity in the Ivory Coast. At the age of twelve, she and her old brother went to stay with a great-uncle in Paris, where they further pursued their education. Years later, after becoming a novelist for young adults, Abouet was drawn to telling the story of the world she remembered ...more

Aya (6 books)
  • Aya (Aya #1)
  • The Secrets Come Out (Aya, #3)
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 4 (Aya, #4)
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 5 (Aya, #5)
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 6 (Aya, #6)