Start by marking “Kvinnen ved jordas kant : en saga om Frøydis Eiriksdatter : basert på historiske fakta og fri diktning” as Want to Read:

Frøydis Eiriksdatter er en av vikingtidens mest markante kvinneskikkelser. Hun lever et barskt liv mellom steile fjell og veldige breer innerst i en grønlandsk fjord. Frøydis dyrker Frøya, Tor, Odin og de andre norrøne gudene. Hun må gifte seg med den litt veike storbonden Torvard, men det er andre menn som får blodet hennes til å bruse - og hennes barn har ulike fedre.

Fr
Hardcover, 1, 333 pages
Published January 12th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Kvinnen ved jordas kant , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kvinnen ved jordas kant

Start your review of Kvinnen ved jordas kant : en saga om Frøydis Eiriksdatter : basert på historiske fakta og fri diktning
Cherime MacFarlane
As most of you know, I review for NetGalley. This one caught my eye and I picked it up. This is an excellent book. It caught me and I found myself unable to put it down. I've always been intrigued by the navigational skills of the men who went a viking.
I've read about the site in Nova Scotia which proves Lief Erickson really did make it to the Americas before anyone else. I've heard other tales of inroads as far as the Great lakes and wondered how true the tales might be. I digress.
But you see
Melinda
I enjoy Historical Fiction and chose this book from the Amazon Prime Free book of the month for that reason. I had also recently binged-watched "The Last Kingdom" so I was somewhat intrigued with a story about Viking women.
The story was good for the most part - I felt like there were loose ends that were never woven back into the story. SPOILER ALERT!! Such as, Freydis' son Storm - was he found and raised by the indigenous tribe? Did her lover Bjarne live through that same storm and create a li
Cathy Carter
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love historical fiction based on Vikings, and Freydis is no exception.

Freydis was the daughter of Erik the Red. She, more than any of his sons, shared his leadership abilities. She also, unfortunately, inherited his character flaws. Freydis was strong-willed, loud, and outspoken.

This is a story of a very strong, and strong-willed (stubborn) woman. I really enjoyed this book, and would highly recommend this title to anyone who enjoys reading about Viking women.

The author, Gunhild Haugne
Illusode
Full disclosure: I did not finish this story. Still might someday.

This is beautifully evocative. However, the plot feels rather disconnected. Even as there are connecting themes, I didn't enjoy the wandering, jerky feel of the storyline.

To be fair, it's a well done story with realistic characters in a historical, well depicted setting. I just felt lost after awhile. Maybe because I didn't like the main characters, who could be sooo shallow and selfish. REALISTIC, yes. But I was kinda rooting fo
Hayley Fortin
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freydis is a strong willed, clever and brave woman. A pioneer of adventure during the Vicking times when boats were considered no place for a woman. Despite being at odds with her lowly start in life she is determined to embark of dangerous voyages to discover exciting new beginnings.

This book caught my eye because I have a fascination with the Vicking age ancient history/mythology and was even more excited to see that a woman as the main character. Gunhild Haugnes creates magic with her really
Ann-Christin Berg
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Her er min omtale av Kvinnen ved jordas kant. Linken fører til min bokblogg. https://mineboker.wordpress.com/2017/... ...more
Heather
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very engaging, but I do wish the non-leading characters were fleshed out just a bit more. Freydis is a very powerful and bold woman for her time. The story is well written and engaging. I do recommend reading it if you are the least bit interested in Viking history and their way of living.

There is not a huge amount of dialog in the book, but it doesn’t really need it. The story flies along and reads like a storyteller or bard would tell it. I will be looking for the next book in th
Anne
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freydis by Gunhild Haugnes is the fictionalized autobiography of Freydis, the sister of Leif Ericson, daughter of Erick the Red. As historical fiction goes, it was a good read. I learned all kinds of things I hadn't known about that time and how things went. Freydis had the heart of an explorer and of a Viking warrior in a time when women did not behave thus (when wasn't that time?) and the Viking's marauding was frowned upon by he rest of her family. Of course, this is hugely fictionalized as t ...more
Paula
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freydis is book one of Daughters of Freya by Gunhild Haugnes. First off, this remarkable book reads exceedingly well in the English translation. Over the years books from several different languages have interested me but the English version was often choppy or awkward for lack of a better way to describe reading those English versions. To my wonderful surprise, reading Freydis is smooth, flowing, transporting you back to the Viking era, of dangerous voyages and hardy survivors.

Little girls may
Dawn
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really wanted to like the main character, but Freydis was just too remote for me to form any kind of attachment to (which is probably deliberate by the author!). I enjoyed the story, but it left me feeling a little unsatisfied. Maybe the second book in the series will fill that role!

My thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for an advance copy to review. This review is entirely my own, unbiased, opinion.
Cassandra
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
**Thank you Netgalley and publisher for giving me an electronic ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**

I love everything Viking, so when I saw this book I jumped on it immediately and found myself unable to put it down. I recommend this book to anyone intrested in Norse mythology and related stories.
Angela
Claudia
Jan 26, 2021
Hege
May 25, 2017

• The Norse Queen (The Norsewomen #1)
  • The Raider Bride (The Norsewomen Book 3)
  • The Falcon Queen (The Norsewomen Book 2)
  • Shield-Maiden: Under the Blood Moon (The Road to Valhalla #4)
  • Beloved Viking (Viking Hearts #1)
  • Shield-Maiden: Under the Thunder Moon (The Road to Valhalla #3)
  • Shield-Maiden: Under the Howling Moon (The Road to Valhalla Book 1)
  • Highland Raven (Celtic Blood #1)
  • Vale of the Gods (Furyck Saga, #6)
  • Mark of the Hunter: An Epic Fantasy Adventure (The Lords of Alekka Book 2)
  • Forged By Iron (Olaf's Saga Book 1)
  • The Raven's Warning (Furyck Saga, #5)
  • Highland Queen (Celtic Blood #4)
  • Fifty Words for Rain
  • Night of the Shadow Moon (Furyck Saga, #3)
  • The Burning Sea (Furyck Saga, #2)
  • Half a World Away
  • A Time for Swords
Gunhild is a native Norwegian who takes her name from two valkyries, Gun and Hild, goddesses of war in Norse mythology.
She fights for what she believes in, but she herself feels more like the goddess Saga – a saga-writer or female Bard.
Gunhild has worked in journalism and as a disseminator of research for many years, but in 2013 she achieved her lifelong dream when she published her first novel