Start by marking “Savages (Chronicles of Warshard #2)” as Want to Read:
Savages (Chronicles of Warshard #2)

Savages

(Chronicles of Warshard #2)

Daughter of Chief Ruin, Breen is one of the most fearsome warriors in the Southern Delica Tribe, but nothing can stop the Emperor from reaping the Savage Lands for soldiers.

When her village is attacked, Breen is taken from her home and her family to the Seaburn Academy, where southern savages are broken and chained into a life of service to the Empire. Through the beating
ebook, 1st Edition, 300 pages
Published April 11th 2017 by Patchwork Press (first published April 4th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Savages, please sign up.

Start your review of Savages (Chronicles of Warshard #2)
Crystal Zapata
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From beginning to end, the journey of Breen and Drakkone was amazing.
In the end, I felt like I read two books. One story but two books. It was great. I loved the separation. You’ll see when you get to it.

Breen, a warrior from the Savage Lands, was taken from her tribe to join the Emperor. She’s the Chief’s only daughter. Fierce, loyal, and very protective of her people. Lately the Emperor has been sending out his troops to steal tribesmen. Locking them in a dungeon until they submit to his army
Amy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Savages is book two from the Chronicles of Warshard series by Katherine Bogle. This installment is about Southern Delica Tribe warrior, Breen. Her village gets attacked. She is captured and sent to Siaburn Academy, a place where savages are beaten and tortured in a dungeon. She meets one of the soldiers of the Academy, Drakkone. He brings her what she needs - Hope. When she leaves the dungeon, she is sent to do training. Unexpectedly, Drakkone and Bree must do whatever it takes to escape.

This e
Tandy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. I never knew which way the story was going to turn next.

Breen daughter of the chief is a vicious warrior that spends all of her days practicing for battle. She has bested every one of her fellow tribesmen. She also teaches younger children of her tribe how to defend and fight to honor their tribe.

Throughout the land the soldiers of Seaburn have been gathering young warriors. Young Breen is wretched away from her home and thrown into a terrible new life that no one sho
Micheala Collins
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Breen's character is so fresh! The author does a great job at making you feel what the characters are feeling. I loved the split. It was almost like two books in one. I couldn't put it down because I felt like I was going on a journey with Breen.
Sheila Goicea
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Death might very well be better than finishing the journey to Seaburn.

There's something that makes you feel so satisfied about a story with a kick-butt protagonist who beats the odds and comes out on top. That's exactly what Savages is about. This is a companion read to Haven and Fyre, and takes place in a different time and setting with different characters that appeared in the end of Haven.

Breen has
Line Bookaholic
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
** I received a free copy through NetGalley in exchange for a honest review**

The story of Breen and Drakkone was interesting. I love the tribesmen with their way of life, they ideals and the fact that they would do anything to protect their people. I love the main idea behind the Academy, taking "savages" to make them fight for the Empire. I think it was a great subject to explore.

The first part of the story is about Breen, how she is taken from her tribe and made to fight for the Emperor. Br
Dana Busenbark
Very interesting start to the third book of the series. We see Aura, whom we met in the last book in this one as a child. We also meet Breen and her mother Kianne. When Seaburn comes, what happens at the Delica tribal encampment? What does Breen realize when she confronts one of the soldiers from Seaburn? How does Breen meet Drakkone? What does he do to help her? What happens in Seaburn? This book had me gripped from the time I picked it up basically. Normally I will write my review as I go and ...more
Dawn
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. I had read Haven by Katherine Bogle and really liked it so I jumped at the chance to read and review this book.

Savages is about Breen, who is taken from her home when she is a teen, locked in a dungeon with other warriors from her tribe, and is tortured until she's broken. It gets to the point that she either give in or die. One of the enemy soldiers, Drakkone, persuades her to
Belinda
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Aisha-Kimberly Hashmi
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I read it in one sitting.
Sara
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a good weekend read. I really liked Breen and the fact that she was both a warrior and a teacher. And like a lot of folks have mentioned, this book is very much like reading two books in one with reading the journey of Breen and Drakkone.

The one part of the book that I wasn't the biggest fan of was the insta-love that I felt happened between Breen and Drakkone.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Megan Coppadge
I received this ebook from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Another book with another female character that I just could not connect with. Breen was way too stubborn. It got to the point where I honestly didn't care what happened to her. She kept making the same mistakes over and over again and wondering why it didn't work. I was too preoccupied with my dislike of Breen to really notice the other characters. Drakkone was sweet always trying to help Breen even though she was an ungrate
Mandy Peterson
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A mystery solved, a heart-rending love story, and an action packed warrior's tale all in one!

I was so lucky to get a copy of this book before it came out through the author. She takes us back to Nina, the 'third sister' in Kadia's painting from "Haven", and her origin story through Breen and Drakkone. I was taken back by how much I loved Breen's character. Strong, stubborn, and capable, Breen is everything I hoped she would be from the tiny tidbit we get of her story in "Haven". A worthy charact
Cheryl
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review. I was not influenced by anyone to do this.

Just finished and wow that was good!! I'm a little sad by the ending, but there's so much more that could happen...excited to see where Drakkone goes next. And little Nina has so much ahead for her!! But I digress...this was an epic tale of love and loss, a princess warrior turned into savage slave fighter...if Breen had only done what she was told...but she was a rebel and found her
Kristine
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am posting this review after reading the ARC copy. Katherine Bogle takes you to enemy territory where mail character Rheen has to find a way to survive and conquer. Great read!
Jamie Coudeville
I liked this book better than Haven. Sure, it had some issues. The second part felt a bit slow compared to the first. And there were certain word choices that had me raising an eyebrow. (Like the frequent usage of the word "savage")

However, the first part read very quickly (unlike Haven). I really liked Breen. I wish we'd gotten to seen more of life in her tribe. There were certain characters whose future was left up in the air.

I'm not sure you could read this book without having read Haven firs
Maggie Stancu
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you love fantasy and heroines that break away from Young Adult stereotypes, Savages is for you.
This book is without a doubt Bogle's strongest and best work yet. She isn't afraid to get right into the hearts of the characters, and their situations. She pushes boundaries. The ending had me in tears. And Breen is a fantastic protagonist. You can read my full review live on my blog now! Don't worry, no spoilers! https://fictionsmistress.wordpress.co...
M
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
*Received from the Publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
description

Going into this sequel, I did not realise until two thirds of the way through that this happened before the first novel, and this really threw me off. I was really enjoying this, but I started to get rather bored half-way through, and with a huge time jump added to the mix, the flow of the novel just seemed to disappear, and so the timescale within this novel was just lost as weeks, months and even years
Nina DuBois
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked the concept of this book. The world building was very interesting. Breen is from a tribe where she is the Chiefs daughter, a brilliant warrior, and a teacher. Her tribe is immediately attacked where Breen along with some of her tribes best warriors are taken prisoner by the emperor to be turned into his warriors. There she is tortured until she submits to their ways.

I really liked this book because I
Memphistigergal
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Seaburn is home to an emperor who has chosen to kidnap warriors from surrounding areas and force them to fight for him and protect him. Breen is taken against her will and thrown into a dungeon. After beatings and tortures, her will doesn’t break. She becomes close with Drakkone, one of her jailers who is opposed to the treatment of the captives. After a while, they become a little too close and one night of passion yields a major result. They flee Seaburn and live on the run, but will the Emper ...more
Selaya Morton
Sorry Kat; had to knock a couple of points off this one. Not because I didn't like the story - I did - but because I got bored with the number of instances of protagonists being knocked down and having the air or wind "whoosh from their lungs." I know, from personal experience, how that can happen but there have to be some other ways of describing it.....the Gods know, I've come up with a few gems myself. Bottom line is: you end up somewhat stunned, even if it's only for a few seconds.

As I've s
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Breen was a really great character, I just loved how she was always evolving and trying to improve herself. She wasn’t perfect, she wasn’t invincible. The culture of her people was great to see as well. You could really tell the Author spent quite a bit of time making the Tribe culture and even the Seaburn culture.

Wasn’t a huge fan of the Nina angle but that was more to do with me wanting to see more of Breen kicking butt. Though it was a very unique angle to add, left you guessing what other th
Lisa Eiff
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

I really enjoyed reading this book. Breen remains strong through all of the hurdles life throws her way. I'd recommend this book to fans of adventure lit with a steady thrum of danger lulling in the background.
Melanie Noell Bernard
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this free digital ARC from the author in exchange for my honest review.

The Timeline
I was not a fan of the timeline in this book. It skipped huge chunks of time and really broke up the story for me. It even changed what I thought was the plot and that bothered me because it turned the story into something completely different halfway through, which left me disappointed.

Lacking Realism
I’m not sure what it was but I didn’t believe a lot of what was happening in this book. The relationshi
Brie
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Thank you to the author for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

2.5-3
Savages takes place in the world of Haven, the first official book of the Chronicles of Warshard, but it can be read on its own. Breen is a young woman of a tribal people, raided and kidnapped to become soldiers for the kingdom of Seaburn. But she fights against this fate to free herself and her loved ones.

I liked Breen, as a single character. I liked her most in Part 1 of the book, as I feel her role in Part 2 b
Jessica Bronder
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breen is a warrior and teacher of the Southern Delica Tribe. She loves training and being the best fighter her people have. But then their village is raided and she is kidnapped by the Seaburn soldiers. The soldiers have been kidnapping savages and torturing them into becoming fighters for them. But Breen is strong and refuses to break even after a horrible torture that leads her to be taken to the infirmary where she meets Drakkone. Drakkone tries to protect Breen and gets her out of the dungeo ...more
Ri v
*ACTUAL READING 3.5 STARS*
I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

In Book 1 of this series, we encountered the Kingdom of Seaburn that was ruled by a council but there was a mention of the past when Seaburn was ruled by an evil Emperor. This book takes place in those times. You can find my review of Book 1, Haven, by clicking the cover below!

Breen is a fierce warrior and an ideal representation
Audrey
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
description

I received the opportunity to read this book in advance for an honest review, and that's what you're going to get. I have not read the first in this series, so maybe I wouldn't have minded if I had but I hated this book and have no intention of reading anymore in this series. I will warn you that this review does contain mention of rape, so be warned if this will trigger you.

Let me start off by saying I actually liked Breen, which is why I give this book the rating I did. Breen is a girl from
Matt Mullin
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wicked fantasy! I enjoyed the face pace far more than Haven. Right off the bat you're thrown into Breen's world, and soon thrown into her terror. I'm not a huge fan of the ending, even though I knew it was coming. Bogle does a great job of making you fall for Breen, feel for Breen, and subsequently be irritated by her when the moment is right. Looking forward to the next book and seeing where Drakkone and Nina's story goes from here.
MercySkye28
Apr 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why is there such a heavy focus on skin tone?!

I could not get through this book! It was like every couple of pages the author had to let us know that these people are "dark-skinned!" Honestly, I felt as if there was some kind of racists undertone! I have read other books where there was more than one shade of people being discussed and the author's would let the reader know at the beginning of the introduction of the group of people to the story how they look with something like "his skin was li
Katherine Bogle is the bestselling author of QUEEN OF THIEVES, HER WOLF and the international bestselling DOMINION RISING series.

She first found success with her debut novel, Haven, which came second in the World’s Best Story contest 2015. Since then, she has gone on to release 15 books with one core theme: kick-butt heroines. Though her series may span genres—from fantasy, to steampunk to scienc

Chronicles of Warshard (3 books)
  • Haven (Chronicles of Warshard, #1)
  • Ashen (Chronicles of Warshard #3)