Start by marking “Sourdough” as Want to Read:
Sourdough

Sourdough

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  39,598 ratings  ·  6,565 reviews
Lois Clary, a software engineer at a San Francisco robotics company, codes all day and collapses at night. When her favourite sandwich shop closes up, the owners leave her with the starter for their mouthwatering sourdough bread.
Lois becomes the unlikely hero tasked to care for it, bake with it and keep this needy colony of microorganisms alive.  Soon she is baking loaves
Published September 5th 2017 by MCD Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published August 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Sourdough, please sign up.
Lois Rubbel I read the book because someone in the Lois Club on facebook told us about it! We've got a Lois club where I live and we meet for lunch every month wi…moreI read the book because someone in the Lois Club on facebook told us about it! We've got a Lois club where I live and we meet for lunch every month with a 5th Tuesday. (less)

·  39,598 ratings  ·  6,565 reviews

Start your review of Sourdough
Matthew
This book was great! It is fun and quirky. I think you can read it either to find purpose and meaning, or just for a nice, quick read.

I am definitely a Robin Sloan fan. I enjoyed Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore as well so I was looking forward to this one. While his stuff can be a bit out there (it definitely falls in the Magical Realism category), it is not so out there that it is hard to stay engaged. It is like he takes things from our normal, everyday lives and tweaks them slightly towards
Ariel
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
this book felt like a friend. it made me make bread. it made me think about our priorities in life and how important it is to live a life you love.
karen
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-from-work
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best fiction! what will happen?

this is the same kind of breezy good fun as the author’s debut, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, but while that one was about computer-savvy booknerds having secret-society-based adventures in san francisco, this one is about computer-savvy FOODnerds having secret-society-based adventures in san francisco. so, totes different dynamic.

that might sound like me having a go at sloane, but i’m not at all - i love books an
Larry H
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars here.

Well, now that we've gotten that out of the way...

The above GIF probably clues you in on one of the reasons I requested this book from NetGalley the minute I saw it. (My obsessive love of carbs aside, I was a huge fan of Robin Sloan's last book, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstoresee my original review—so that had something to do with it, too!)

Lois Clary is a software engineer who moves her life from Michigan to San Francisco after receiving a job offer from Gener
Elyse  Walters
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Living in Silicon Valley for many years - the Bay Area my entire life - Berkeley- Oakland- San Francisco - and San Jose.... I know many techie-self starters ....
Startup companies is synonymous with Silicon Valley as Sourdough French Bread is synonymous with San Francisco. Mix it all together and Robin Sloan has written the ultimate startup-sourdough novel that could ‘only’ have taken place in the Bay Area.

Software robotics developer - Lois Clary - from Michigan- moved to the heart of the start
Sean Gibson
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two truisms:

1) You don’t want to stand behind an elephant after it eats spicy food; and

2) It’s really hard to read a book called Sourdough and not want sourdough bread, especially when said book includes numerous scenes in which the main character is baking said deliciousness.

Notwithstanding that constant distraction, what stands out most about Sourdough is Robin Sloan’s ability to marry technology and whimsy in a way that feels organic (and yes, pun intended vis-à-vis the strange foodie subcu
Lori
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nutritive gel for dinner! People do this! That sounds like a futuristic overpopulated planet and dwindling resources scenario. At least, Soylent Green looked like it had texture and mouthfeel.

Anyway, our young hero gets to eat something a lot better, than nutritive gel slurry. She becomes launched on an adventure in baking. It is all very cute and kind. Fluffy like the inside of the loaf. I didn’t get a lot out of it. It’s pleasant. Maybe, I’m jealous. My starter doesn’t sing and smile.
Rachel Hall
A novel that begins with such promise as it opens with a witty look at office life for the employees of the pioneering San Francisco technology companies and the fortunes of newly recruited and blissfully naive Lois Clary ends up with author Robin Sloan overworking the dough. Stretching credibility in the second half, what starts as an engaging comedy focusing on a young robotics engineer descends into a convoluted fairytale whilst attempting to make some wider commentary with parallels to socie ...more
Paromjit
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quixotic and whimsical magical fantasy teeming with warmth, charm and quirky characters. Lois Clary is a software programmer lured from her home and comfortable job to move to San Francisco with a lucrative financial and benefits package offered by General Dexterity, a robotics company. There she finds she is expected to commit body and soul and every hour in search of cutting edge robotic arm improvements. This takes it toll on her life, health and spirits as she develops a knot in he ...more
Heather
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
I adored the first half of this book but the second half was just....so, so odd.
Carol (Bookaria)
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017, fiction
This book is about a woman baking bread and how this process transforms her and her life.

I know, sounds simple, right?

Well, if you have baked bread you know there's a lot more to it than just putting the ingredients together. First, you have to understand that there is something different about baking sourdough bread, you have to have a "starter"

​​
(image source)

A "starter" is a fermented combination of yeast, good bacteria, bread and water. Generally, you have to feed it every day, it is aliv
Debra
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Lois Clary is a software engineer writing codes for a San Francisco Robotic company. She notices a takeout menu and decides to make a purchase. It sure beats the "slurry" (nutritive gel packs) that she normally eats. Heck, she becomes Clement Street Soup and Sourdough’s “Number One eater” She then learns her favorite restaurant is closing and the two brothers who own it, leave her with the starter for their sourdough bread. This is not your usual starter!

Almost overnight, Lois becomes quite the
PattyMacDotComma
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: magical realism fans
4.5★
“She explained that a software sieve had scanned my résumé and flagged it as promising, and that she agreed with the computer’s assessment. Here’s a thing I believe about people my age: we are the children of Hogwarts, and more than anything, we just want to be sorted.”

Like the author’s earlier Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, this book is a quirky bit of fantasy, science fiction, and fun, and I enjoyed it equally. Lois grew up surrounded by computers at a time when she says they were wooin
Victoria
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I have come to believe that food is history of the deepest kind. Everything we eat tells a tale of ingenuity and creation, domination and justice--and does so more vividly than any other artifact, any other medium.

I am a foodie. Not the annoying hoity toity variety, more that I subscribe to the live to eat versus eat to live motto. I love a sumptuous meal, skillfully prepared and artfully served; I also love an uncomplicated meal with simple ingredients shared with family or friends. And I love
da AL
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A difficult book to rate. Starts mouth-wateringly run-don't-walk to your nearest bakery charmingly versed, but woefully crumbles right at the end. The audiobook reader is phenom!
Phrynne
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Interesting, entertaining, touches of magical realism. Who knew that so much could go on in the making of Sourdough bread!

So in case the reader is unaware, first we find out about the starter needed to make the bread and then we learn about microbes and what they do, and it is all very factual but delivered in a fun way via story. We are aware that the starter is a living organism and that the one we are dealing with is very special. Then the fun starts!

I enjoyed the book very much even when it
Dianne
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2017
Very entertaining, breezy and quirky! I love Robin Sloan's unique "brand" - a mishmash of bleeding edge technology, magical realism and nerdy eccentricity. Stir it all together and you have an adventure like no one else's!

Lois Clary is a computer engineer specializing in robotics. She is lured from the Detroit auto industry to a cutting edge robotics firm in San Francisco where she works long stressful hours and subsists on a nutritive gel called "Slurry." (Yuck) One day she finds an advertiseme
Jenny (Reading Envy)
A sourdough starter opens the door to a mysterious underground world in near future San Francisco. Like most Sloan stories, this requires a healthy amount of suspending disbelief, but worth it. This was a very fun read, in fact I feel I should use the word "delightful." I want a spicy sandwich!

Carb nerds.. malevolent bread... I feel like giggling again.

Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy through Edelweiss.
Nicole D.
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
The Recipe

1 part Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore formula (bookstore/font = Farmer's Market/sourdough starter)
1 Evil corporation which wants to ruin food
1/2 glutinous plot
1/4 overt message
3/4 ridiculous denouement
1/8 tsp technology
8 trite caricatures

Mix together and foist on unsuspecting lovers of Mr. Penumbra, collect proceeds.

This book was so bad I'm angry. Sloan's first book was cute and fun because it was a surprise - this book was the same formula/different topic. Sorry, but you don
Skyler Autumn
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars

WARNING: Do not read this book on an empty stomach!

description

This book is about the greatest of all foods, BREAD! OK it's not exactly about bread its about passion, creativity, fulfillment and not being afraid to take the road less travelled.

This story revolves around Lois Clary a 20-something overworked underling at a robotics lab in San Francisco. Everyday she comes home mentally spent and completely drained collapsing into bed every night dreading the stressful hell that will await her tomorr
Paula W
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real, actual thing that happened at family Thanksgiving 2017:

Me: "Where's the iPad I got for Dad? I'm paying for network service on it so I know it is working even though your WiFi isn't."
Mom: "Oh. Well. It wasn't acting right one day, it wouldn't even turn on, so he threw it away."
Me: "He threw away an iPad? That cost me hundreds of dollars?!?!?!?! It probably just needed a good long charge or a software update."
Mom, becoming rather indignant: "IT WASN'T WORKING, PAULA. Anyway, he has a compute
Donna
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Before you read this review, I need to issue a warning about this book. No, there aren’t any spoilers ahead. I just wanted to caution you to have plenty of freshly baked sourdough bread on hand because you’re going to crave the stuff like mad the moment you get into this story. Oh, the wonderful descriptions of the texture of the bread and its unusual crust, and the enticing aroma it emits, and the filling effect it has on the digestive system and the fulfilling effect it has on the nervous syst ...more
K. Elizabeth
3/5

I have no idea what happened with Sourdough. One minute I’m sure I’m going to rate it four stars; the next, I’m contemplating two stars. In simpler words: This was shaky.

The beginning, however, was pretty great. I enjoyed all the talk about sourdough and baking — I swear, reading this made my stomach growl. But then the writing and story started to drag (it’s all about work, work, robots, work, singing/magical bread, more work). I’m not sure if it’s me or if other’s would agree.

So, the main c
Cindy Burnett
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley

I absolutely loved this unique, beautiful, frequently hilarious, life-affirming book. I am a huge fan of Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore and was thrilled to have the opportunity to read Robin Sloan’s new work early; thankfully, Sourdough does not disappoint. Lois Clary works incredibly long hours at a robotics company in San Francisco and almost nightly orders takeout from two brothers who operate a nearby neighborhood restaurant. The brothers encounter visa issues and are forced to le
Carolyn
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, contemporary
As you might expect from Robin Sloan author of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, this was a quirky, fun read with an offbeat plot and unusual characters.

Lois Clary has taken the plunge and moved away from her family, her home and safe job to work as a software engineer for a robotics firm. Although the pay is great the hours are long and she has no energy left to cook or socialise. She exists on a nutrient mixture called Slurry (doesn't that sound appetising?) and take out pizza until she disco
L.A. Starks
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While not a mystery or thriller, this short, intensely readable book combines tech and food in San Francisco with a winning protagonist and her arc of development as she leaves Michigan, goes to work for a quite-credible arm robot company, and then one day is given sourdough starter from one of her favorite cooks, starter that has an unusual history. This novel captures perfectly the foodie and tech ethos of northern California.

Much fun, great read, highly recommended.
Jennifer Blankfein
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Follow https://booknationbyjen.wordpress.com for reviews and recommendations.

Sourdough by Robin Sloan is perfect blend of culinary secrets and technological experiments. Lois is a programmer who spends her endless days writing code and programming a robot arm. She resorts to drinking a Slurry (an unappealing nutritional concoction) for lunch during the day, and ordering delivery of spicy soup with delicious bread from a neighborhood hole in the wall at night. She falls into this comfortable rou
Emily
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
So I waffled between one and two stars for this, but ultimately settled on two because while I disliked it, it didn't inspire a fiery hatred the way most of the books I mark as one star usually do.

I'd call this a work of fabulism (NOT MAGICAL REALISM) with a heavy dose of "modern techy fable." Lois is an overworked tech employee living in San Francisco. She is exhausted, lonely, and generally joyless. Not exactly a fun place to start. But then, food! She starts ordering from a local "restaurant"
Lisa Vegan
I really loved this. I thought I didn’t like the “out there” parts but then I did. I thought I wasn’t liking the ending but then I liked most of it well enough.

The story is quirky and charming, imaginative, and fun.

I loved that Lois’s apartment is 2 blocks over from mine, but the cross street ins’t mentioned and I suspect it’s quite a few blocks farther to the east than mine.

I did enjoy the realistic parts the most: San Francisco, Richmond District, tech person changing course and becoming a
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Oh what a wonderful, funny, insightful, delightful and page turning read this book by Robin Sloan was! I had read Mr. Penumbra’s 24 hour bookstore and had always hoped that it had found a wide audience. This book is even better!

Our main character Lois has done everything right. She got a good degree from college, did a couple of summers of internships and was immediately offered a job where she lived in Michigan. Her father was a database worker for a large company and had surrounded Lois with c
Bryn Mawr School ...: Sourdough 2 5 May 06, 2020 05:07AM
Great Beginnings ...: December 2019 - Reading Questions 1 9 Dec 14, 2019 10:53AM
Dare to Dream: Sourdough (Group Read - 2018) 44 38 Mar 28, 2018 04:03PM
Ultimate Popsugar...: November Group Read - Sourdough 37 382 Jan 07, 2018 02:43PM

• Nothing to See Here
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Magic for Liars
  • Writers & Lovers
  • Severance
  • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (The Carls, #1)
  • Young Jane Young
Robin Sloan is the author of the novels Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore and Sourdough. He grew up near Detroit and now splits his time between the Bay Area and the internet.

Articles featuring this book

The author has hit literary gold by setting his novels in the City by the Bay. Now he's sharing his favorite books that take place in San Francisco.
“Here’s a thing I believe about people my age: we are the children of Hogwarts, and more than anything, we just want to be sorted.” 114 likes
“The internet: always proving that you're not quite as special as you suspected.” 39 likes