Start by marking “The It Girls” as Want to Read:
The It Girls

The It Girls

From New York Times bestselling author Karen Harper comes a novel based on the lives of two amazing sisters . . .

One sailed the Titanic and started a fashion empire . . .

The other overtook Hollywood and scandalized the world . . .

Together, they were unstoppable.

They rose from genteel poverty, two beautiful sisters, ambitious, witty, seductive. Elinor and Lucy Sutherland ar
Published October 24th 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The It Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The It Girls

Start your review of The It Girls
Julie
The It Girls by Karen Harper is a 2017 William Morrow Paperbacks publication.

I love historical fiction, and thought this novel, centered around Elinor and Lucy Sutherland, might be an interesting tale.

The sisters, I suppose, would have been what we might have labeled "It Girls', with Elinor realizing fame as a writer and Lucy as a famous fashion designer. They both enjoyed success in their careers, but their personal lives suffered from several relationship disappointments.

However, the story
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it

An authoress and a dressmaker on the loose.

Nellie and Lucy were sisters and were mischievous from the start. They went through thick and thin together.

The time was early 1800's and women were to be wed and not be in a trade, but the Sutherland girls didn't abide. Well Lucy didn't. Nellie sort of did, but she still had high hopes of her books being published, and they were published.

We follow both girls from their childhood to becoming adults. The writing pulled you into the story line and kept
Cindy Burnett
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: librarything
I struggled a lot with this book. Other than the fact that they apparently served as the source for the expression “It Girl”, I did not understand the choice to write an entire book about Elinor and Lucy Sutherland. From an early age, the two sisters quarreled, treated each other and others poorly, and behaved in ways that certainly did not make me want to learn more about them. Whatever fleeting fame they each had was certainly overshadowed by their poor personal choices. I powered through it b ...more
Stephanie

Karen Harper is one of my all-time favorite historical fiction writers, and she has done another fantastic job in bringing to life sisters Elinor Glyn and Lucile Duff-Gordon in her newest novel, The It Girls.

This is an engrossing novel that begins in the late nineteenth-century when Nellie and Lucy Sutherland are just young, imaginative girls with dreams of money, love, success, and adventure, and the account of their lives continues several decades into the early twentieth century and includes
Melissa
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting story, but I found the writing tiresome. The characters spend way too much time explaining relationships, locations, and events to each other for the reader's sake. This made for very cumbersome dialogue at times, especially when information was repeated and the character then said something like "as you know." Yes, we already know. Or yes, we get the historical reference. It just didn't flow for me.
Angela
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I received an ARC for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

The It Girls tells the story of sisters Elinor Glyn, a boundary-pushing writer, and Lucille Duff-Gordon, a fashion pioneer, from their days as young girls on the brink of poverty through the success of their later years. I expected a good historical fiction story, but the book lost me along the way.

The sisters are at the heart of this book, and their relationship was not an easy one. At times, they were totally supportive of each other and s
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quote:

Not that I’d like to be a man, but that I’d like to be a woman and not have to act like one.
My Review:

Color me an ignoramus, as I did not realize I was reading a book about real people when I started in. I was nearly through the book when I had to stop reading and Google them to be sure - I just had to! While they weren’t model citizens by any means, the Sutherland sisters made a profound impact on society of their time which continues to influence ours. I had heard the term “It g
Linda Zagon
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

MY REVIEW OF 'THE IT GIRLS" by Karen Harper

"The It Girls" by Karen Harper is an intriguing account of how fiction and history can work in a novel. The genres for this novel are Historical Fiction, Women's Fiction, and Fiction. The timeline for this story is  set from 1875, and goes into the twentieth century after The Great War or World War 1, and then some years after. The location of this story vacillates between Europe,(England, Paris, France,Scotland) and the United States.

The author descri
Teresa
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok I gave this a four star rating and then thought about it over night before I wrote an actual review. In hindsight I think I would now give it three stars.
It started off very slowly but once it got going it was interesting. However, I'm still not sure if I was reading fiction, non-fiction or a mixture of both. I learned a bit about the sisters but felt there was a lot more to know. It would have been nice to have had a bit more information on some of the other characters too.
Some of the chapt
Lovely Loveday
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not a fan of this book and found it a struggle to finish. The writing and dialogue was not realistic.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"The It Girls" covers the lives of Elinor and Lucile Sutherland who lived during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Both of these women lived when the world was changing rapidly and they both often seemed to be in the middle of some of the greatest changes. The book covers from their childhood all the way to when they were well into middle age. Because this book covers so much of their lives, the book often felt like vignettes and I kept wishing for it to slow down. This book certainly whet my appe ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Stilted, unnatural dialogue. Tooooo much unnecessary explanation in characters' conversations. Couldn't force myself to finish it. Found the Wikipedia entries on the sisters far more interesting.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @19%
2017; William Morrow Paperbacks/HarperCollins

I tried both ebook and audio and just could not get into this story. The story and writing were both really dry. After reading other reviews, I have decided to pass on this one.

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through Edelweiss. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
Miriam
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, romance, chicklit
We think the term “It” is new, is hip, but there were “It” Girls and ideas in the late 1800s. Karen Harper brings two charming, ambitious, and highly successful Sutherland sisters out of obscurity and into the limelight in her newest novel.

Harper weaves a tight story of friendship and sisterly rivalry, of hopes achieved and dashed. You’ll be drawn into the descriptions of clothing, the hints of scandal, and the passion that lies beneath the story. Stand alone historical fiction, "It Girls" will
Rebecca
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher (via LibraryThing) in exchange for an honest review.

This book was far too short to encompass the lives of these two women. Each sister has an amazing story, and really deserves her own novel. Because the novel covers so many decades, it really felt like the author had to cram in everything she wanted to cover. I feel like the novel suffered for that.

I really didn't like the style of the novel. The plot was dialog driven, and I feel like I
Dwi Grandison
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The bond between sisters is one of fierceness that can not be duplicated. Sisters fiercely support each other and take down those who battle against them. But sisters can be fiercely judgmental towards one another and that judgmental feeling can turn into animosity that can test the very bond itself. Karen Harper has written a fantastic tale of sisters and all that comes with the closeness they share. Elinor and Lucy Sutherland are stunning characters that truly define the idea of sisterhood. Th ...more
Melinda
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
A well researched work. So much background and many events were related or clarified through dialog, it seemed not much action was there to keep readers involved. Can’t say I actually liked either sister through the book, but I admired their groundbreaking roles and contributions to women in creative worlds. Much of th dialog sounded a bit stilted as if the sisters were proclaiming rather than conversing in order to convey information or emotions needed, and therefore remained a bit distant from ...more
Tiffany www.instagram.com/tiffs_bookshelf
OMG The It Girls is a drama filled kinda hollywood novel about two sisters as they navigate their way through their careers in life. Set in the 1800 and on into the 1900's the Sutherland sisters were friends, rivals, & sisters. this book was deliciously written and one of those books you don't want to end. I will highly recommend this book to anyone!!!!!!! ...more
Sheena
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5. Unfortunately I struggled to get through this one.
Lauralee
The It Girls tells the story of two sisters, Nellie and Lucy, who were the fashionable girls of their day. Nellie becomes a famous author and Lucy is a successful fashion designer. One of the girls penned the famous classic, Three Weeks, and the other survived the Titanic. This novel follows their successes and their trials. Mostly, it explores their sisterly bond that spanned for decades.

Both Lucy and Nellie are very sympathetic characters. They are both idealistic, romantic, and ambitious. Ev
Lynne Macdonald
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
It was ok. Purely historical fantasy. A good escape. I did not really enjoy now. At another time I would have loved it but not now. It was ok. Two sisters grow up and are driven/become a clothes designer and fiction writer who had bad marriages and one escaped/divorce and found true love. As the years went by the separation between the sisters two widen. WWI and the victorian era past. the ideas and fashionable statements became passe. The 2 sisters knew they had to change. Mother always held up ...more
Linda Smatzny
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book covers the lives of two sisters, Lucy(Lucile) and Elinor from 1875 to 1926. The story starts on the Isle of Jersey,onto London and finishes in Scotland but also includes France and America. Lucy becomes a famous fashion designer while Elinor is a writer. They don't have as much success in their private lives as in their business lives. The book covers a changing time in the world with women beginning to have rights. It wasn't till the end of the book when I was reading the author's that ...more
Diane
Wow! Two sisters, very successful in their careers. This book covers their lives from early girlhood to mature and thriving women. While reading, I realized that these two were not fictional characters, but real women. Enjoyed this book!
Jessica
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had a very hard time getting into this book. The story is there, but it is told in a way that would be easier to follow as a movie. The writing jumps around a lot, making it difficult to follow and get to know the characters.
Lexi Baird
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book. It was hard to read because it was covering too much time over the span of the book.
Vanessa Botelho
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I really enjoyed this story about 2 sisters trying to make it in a Man's world!
Laura Shelton
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I "read" the audible version and the lady who read it had a very lovely English accent.
Michelle Samis
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s more of a biography-historical fiction. Some parts of the story dragged on at times but other then that what the two sisters achieved is quite something.
Rachel Harper
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
It started great, but rambled on after a bit.
Nicole
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
The characters and relationships in this book were underdeveloped and one dimensional. I did not have any incentive to care what happened. I think the author bit off more than they could chew.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Secret Lives of Mothers & Daughters
  • The Grace Kelly Dress
  • The Dress in the Window
  • Meet Me in Monaco
  • Pomme de Terre (Abercrombie Trail #2)
  • Carnegie's Maid
  • The Kennedy Debutante
  • Abercrombie Trail: A Novel of the 1862 Uprising
  • The Gospel According to Drew Barrymore
  • Hand Me Another Brick
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more

News & Interviews